ADVERTISEMENT

OT: GOT Season 7, episode 1 (spoilers)

canuckhal

May 5, 2014
First episode puts a lot in motion. A couple of questions:

1) Why did Jaime not know it was Arya or Starks who killed the Freys? Arya made it pretty clear to the girl what to say.
2) Where was Varys?

The face apparently allows you to impersonate a person's appearance, voice, and size. That is some magic mask.

Enjoyed the episode and the tugs b/w personalities. Cersei and Jaime. Jon and Sensa. The Hound and Beric.

They never went in detail about how the faceless men are able to change their voice and even body size and shape. I guess there was a lot of magic Arya learned with the Faceless Men off screen.
Arya the greatest assasin in Westros. Great opening scene.

Good episode. Thought they spent too much time at the citadel watching bedpans getting changed.

Also, what was the point in having Arya stop and chat with those soldiers? Almost seemed like they all that for Ed S to have a bit part

Loved the opening scene

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Good episode. Thought they spent too much time at the citadel watching bedpans getting changed.

Also, what was the point in having Arya stop and chat with those soldiers? Almost seemed like they all that for Ed S to have a bit part

Loved the opening scene

I think the purpose of the scene was to show the audience how much hate Arya's has and how she intends to kill anyone associated with those on her list. It also shows that she is still human as I think she is conflicted because these men are soldiers, yet have families and loved ones. They are just doing their role in life. She wasn't scoping their weapons just because she has an interest in swords. She was sizing them up for a reason. But the kindness they showed her, has her thinking twice about killing them all.

First episode puts a lot in motion. A couple of questions:

1) Why did Jaime not know it was Arya or Starks who killed the Freys? Arya made it pretty clear to the girl what to say.
2) Where was Varys?

The face apparently allows you to impersonate a person's appearance, voice, and size. That is some magic mask.

Enjoyed the episode and the tugs b/w personalities. Cersei and Jaime. Jon and Sensa. The Hound and Beric.

Varys was in the boat going to Dragonstone.

With Arya, I'm not sure everyone fully understands what it is to be a faceless "man".

I agree with the 4INSBU, too much time at the Citadel, but who knows where that story line is going.

The one to watch is Littlefinger. Who knows WTF he's up to.

Reactions: canuckhal
Are the people The Hound buried anyone of consequence from a previous season?

Not necessarily of consequence, but the Hound robbed them when he and Arya were together.

If you watch the beginning, they always play previous clips for reference. There was a clip with Arya saying something like "what are you doing". That was the scene.

Reactions: Grass
I'd like the dragons to frag Dany - she's boring

Have a feeling she's about to get a lot less boring....

Anyway, my thoughts....

1. Arya - Cold open was awesome though the producers trying to trick everyone into thinking this was a 'flashback' didn't work so well (and it probably wasn't supposed to) since most everyone figured Arya was acting as Frey once the pitchers of wine were passed out. I don't know that anyone has been able to completely wipe a house out in one fell swoop, but she did it nonetheless (even if it was the dumb Freys). I don't get too into the weeds of the 'logistics' of how magic works here - yes, when she wears a 'face', she essentially becomes them - height, voice, mannerisms, etc. Just go with it. Same thing for how Beric is brought back to life, how/why there are dragons, and how Dany and other Targaryens are immune to fire. The scene with the Lannister soldiers was to bring Arya back down a bit - I think everyone is on her side with her cause, but giving each soldier a story sort of keeps her from becoming a total monster. Still, I think she killed all of them.

2. Cersei/Jaime - the first of two significant maps in the episode - Cersei is backed into a corner, has no kids or other Lannisters to care for, and is basically in it to survive - or die trying. I like how Jaime is pragmatic with regard to resource management and wars and that he's not really interested in taking the fight to his enemies. I also think he's not a big fan of Euron Greyjoy (or any Greyjoy for that matter), who has a great scene and offers a good reminder that at one time, Jaime was probably the best fighter in Westeros. Any idea as to what kind of trophy he's going to bring for Cersei? Other Greyjoys, or something bigger (maybe a dragon head)? I'm certainly OK with all the Cersei hate, but this show has done a good job at making her sympathetic. At a minimum, a lot of people would do the same in her position. I never got the sense she was power hungry like Margaery - she was miserable married to Robert, had a terrible first born son, and wanted her family (Jaime/kids) to be safe. Now, she has nothing to lose.

3. Sam - Okay, the 10 minute bedpan montage notwithstanding, we get three cool pieces of information from this sequence; 1. Dragonstone is aptly named - there is a mountain of dragon glass there and we know one group in particular who would love to have that (so, this gets Jon and or Sansa to Dany in a hurry IMO), 2. Jorah isn't doing so well, and 3. Gilly is a much better reader than before! Yay!

4. Jon and Sansa - This sequence is where GoT really stands out - we get the recently reunited Sansa and Jon, both of whom have gone through horrendous events, discussing 'battle strategy' with the Lords and Ladies of the North. They should probably hash things out in advance of the meeting, but since they didn't, we get to see their very differing points of view on display in front of everyone. Jon thinks that a few bad apples doesn't ruin a house, so he's good with turning the traitorous Umber and Carstark houses over to their rightful heirs - noting a thousand years of support outweighs a small rebellion (again noting Littlejon Umber and the Carstark head are dead now). Sansa, having spent time with Joffrey, Cersei, Littlefinger, and Ramsay, has different thoughts - she says loyal houses should be rewarded, and the traitors punished. She's seen the mistakes of her father and Robb and knows that there is something to be said about being feared. She has a good point. But, Jon's way wins out, and the two meet up after to discuss. Great stuff and you could make a case for both options. I like that Sansa is on to Littlefinger and he's sort of been marginalized here - her quip at the end of their conversation was brilliant. Also, Lyanna Mormont is a BEAST.

5. The Hound - Nice little scene with a return to a dark day (one of many I suppose) in the Hound's life where he robs a farmer and his daughter of their silver because he doesn't think they'll last the winter (he's right). But, he and the rest of the Brotherhood return to the scene of the crime to see that yes, the farmer and his daughter are long since dead (and rotting in the corner) likely the result of the farmer killing his daughter and himself instead of starving to death. The Hound has grown a lot since S4 and none of this sits well. He takes Beric's advice that it's never too late to change, and buries the farmer and his daughter in a quiet but moving scene (with baldie Thoros). The big takeaway here though is more pondering Beric's role in everything. They make a point to note he's being brought back for 'some purpose' - I think we'll find out pretty soon what that is.

6. Dany - Super gorgeous shot of Dragonstone and her arrival. It's quiet and poignant. She was born there and is finally back to claim her birthright. Also, the dragons circling the castle was just so cool. She's ready to get sh*t started and closes with 'Shall we begin?' Yes Dany - by all means!!

Random thought: How awesome would it be to get Hound, Tormund, and Bronn together for a night on the town?

16da9d5000623e7a5055e7bfb5b7df31.jpg

This was just okay for me.

Opening was fun nostalgia. However, later on everyone knows exactly what Danny is doing thousands of miles away, but has no clue or concern that a once thought dead Stark girl killed an entire house in their backyard.

I enjoyed the John and Sansa sets; well written and clearly shows the high points of the show: two choices of action (one choice tends to be harsher than the other) to get to a solution. It is only your perspective when judging the choice that makes it truly "good or bad."

The old "forbidden area of the library" is played. Just once I would like to see a show treat learned individuals as a proactive weapon and not with reactive, ignorant academic indifference.

Set pieces at Dragonstone are beautiful; the ancient Chinese culture as its base is a nice touch.

I still have no idea what this Lord of Light thing is. It is either everything or nothing.

This was just okay for me.

Opening was fun nostalgia. However, later on everyone knows exactly what Danny is doing thousands of miles away, but has no clue or concern that a once thought dead Stark girl killed an entire house in their backyard.

I enjoyed the John and Sansa sets; well written and clearly shows the high points of the show: two choices of action (one choice tends to be harsher than the other) to get to a solution. It is only your perspective when judging the choice that makes it truly "good or bad."

The old "forbidden area of the library" is played. Just once I would like to see a show treat learned individuals as a proactive weapon and not with reactive, ignorant academic indifference.

Set pieces at Dragonstone are beautiful; the ancient Chinese culture as its base is a nice touch.

I still have no idea what this Lord of Light thing is. It is either everything or nothing.

I think it's everything. To be sure, those who believe have shown real power (even if they were wrong about 'who' the Lord of Light's chosen one was...). Thoros and Melisandre are proof that something is definitely up with the LoL.

As for pacing and tropes, yeah, there was some. But, I hear this episode is a one off - it's going to be fast and furious the rest of the season.

2. Cersei/Jaime - the first of two significant maps in the episode - Cersei is backed into a corner, has no kids or other Lannisters to care for, and is basically in it to survive - or die trying. I like how Jaime is pragmatic with regard to resource management and wars and that he's not really interested in taking the fight to his enemies. I also think he's not a big fan of Euron Greyjoy (or any Greyjoy for that matter), who has a great scene and offers a good reminder that at one time, Jaime was probably the best fighter in Westeros. Any idea as to what kind of trophy he's going to bring for Cersei? Other Greyjoys, or something bigger (maybe a dragon head)? I'm certainly OK with all the Cersei hate, but this show has done a good job at making her sympathetic. At a minimum, a lot of people would do the same in her position. I never got the sense she was power hungry like Margaery - she was miserable married to Robert, had a terrible first born son, and wanted her family (Jaime/kids) to be safe. Now, she has nothing to lose.

Could it be Tyrion?

16da9d5000623e7a5055e7bfb5b7df31.jpg
[

Yeah - that is a good possibility too. But, he rarely leaves Dany's side, and she's rarely without a ridiculous amount of protection. I can't imagine a cowardly pirate getting the drop on them, but who knows?

Varys was in the boat going to Dragonstone.

With Arya, I'm not sure everyone fully understands what it is to be a faceless "man".

I agree with the 4INSBU, too much time at the Citadel, but who knows where that story line is going.

The one to watch is Littlefinger. Who knows WTF he's up to.
Well, Jon Snow appears to be taking a voyage to mine some Dragonglass thanks to Sam. Wonder what Dani will have to say about that.

I missed Varys as I didn't see him in the entourage touring the castle.

I think it's everything. To be sure, those who believe have shown real power (even if they were wrong about 'who' the Lord of Light's chosen one was...). Thoros and Melisandre are proof that something is definitely up with the LoL.

As for pacing and tropes, yeah, there was some. But, I hear this episode is a one off - it's going to be fast and furious the rest of the season.

I can only think LOL is really the white walker. Always manipulating things to hurt his enemies and increase his army. Otherwise it has to be Three-eyed Raven/Branden Stark looking back on past events and manipulating people to bring an end to the white walkers. Maybe it's both.

Reactions: WPB_lion
2) Where was Varys?

He was in the Dragonstone tour entourage

To show that Arya is an assassin yes, but she's not a heartless murdering monster yet. I think this conversation was very important to her arc. She sees right away they are Lannister soldiers and eyes up their weapons. She hesitates to accept their food, having no intention initially to bide by the rules of Westerosi Guest Rite that accepting food/provision would imply peace. But as she gets to know them, she realizes that there are good people on all sides of the battle. Maybe this leads her back towards family (Winterfell) instead of King's Landing. Or maybe a certain meetup alluded to in the preview for next week has something to do with that.

A few more things:

1 - Tormund definitely has the hots for Brienne. They provide some desperately needed comic relief.

2 - I can't help but feel that somewhere down the line, Bran wogs into a dragon. Imagine the possibilities.

3 - When was the last time nobody died after the opening credits?

To the OP, I think Jamie doesn't know it was Arya because nobody even knows Arya is alive. Plus she only stated the "the north remembers". She told Frey who she was before she slit his throat

I think the biggest event of the show was actually Bran going through the wall. Now that he passed through the WW can now go through. They actually hinted at this in 3 different scenes kind of. jon mentions where the WW would hit first, the hound sees them coming through the wall in the fames at that same location, and one of Maesters Sam was talking to kind of blows him off saying something like "they cant get through the wall" so you don need access to that section of the library

Anyway, my thoughts....

I think "the priceless gift" is the key question coming out of this episode.

Among the things that I can think of that Cersei would consider priceless that Euron could possibly produce are:

1. Tyrion Lannister
2. Any of the Sands from Dorne
3. Sansa Stark or Jon Snowe
4. Olenna Tyrell

Of course a Dragon would be the ultimate gift but I do not see how Euron could possibly produce a Dragon.

I predict Euron is going to kidnap one of the foregoing people in the dark of night and my guess would be Tyrion Lannister. I predict that:
1. Euron will kidnap Tyrion and bring him to the Queen,
2. the Queen will agree to marry Euron while Euron continues to insult Jamie without consequence,
3. Jamie will be forced to make the ultimate choice between his brother and sister, and
4. Jamie ultimately chooses his brother and joins in Dany's cause.

Last edited:
A few more things:

1 - Tormund definitely has the hots for Brienne. They provide some desperately needed comic relief.

2 - I can't help but feel that somewhere down the line, Bran wogs into a dragon. Imagine the possibilities.

3 - When was the last time nobody died after the opening credits?

The previous Three Eyed Raven told Bran, when asked he'd ever walk again, "No but you will fly."

So that sounds like it's all but a done deal. Dany, Bran and maybe Tyrion as dragon jockeys.

Last night's episode was very slow. I'm trying to figure out how Jorah ended up in the cell where Sam is at? And what exactly is that place? A library, a hospital, a morgue, or a prison?

Click on the quoted text and see my comments in red typeface.

Have a feeling she's about to get a lot less boring....LOL. That's what people were saying before the final episode of Season 6.

Anyway, my thoughts....

1. .....Still, I think she killed all of them. Could be, but what makes you think so? Just the fact that she is hell bent on vengeance against every Lannister? The fact that Sheeran, et al are unlikely to play more than brief cameo roles?

2. Any idea as to what kind of trophy he's going to bring for Cersei? Other Greyjoys, or something bigger (maybe a dragon head)? I think that is precisely the prize Euron is thinking of. Getting back some of his ships and punishing his traitorous niece and nephew have to dominate his thinking. But he must know that Dany has three dragons with her. How the hell do you deal with THEM? Maybe he has some kind of assassination plot in mind to get his niece and nephew (and/or Dany) out of the way.

3. Sam - Okay, the 10 minute bedpan montage notwithstanding, we get three cool pieces of information from this sequence; 1. Dragonstone is aptly named - there is a mountain of dragon glass there and we know one group in particular who would love to have that (so, this gets Jon and or Sansa to Dany in a hurry IMO), 2. Jorah isn't doing so well, and 3. Gilly is a much better reader than before! Yay! Sam says he needs to get a message to Jon right away about the mountain of dragon glass, and he starts penning that message, but getting it to Jon may be another matter. I am not willing to assume that Sam can commandeer a raven (wouldn't there be a maester in charge of ravens at the Citadel?). I'm thinking that maybe Ser Jorah plays a role in getting the message to Jon (or Dany, or both). Jorah is there for a reason beyond seeking treatment for Greyscale. Wonder how he eventually gets cured of it.

4. .....Also, Lyanna Mormont is a BEAST. I could not agree more.

5. .....The big takeaway here though is more pondering Beric's role in everything. They make a point to note he's being brought back for 'some purpose' - I think we'll find out pretty soon what that is. I think it has to do with the vision the Hounds saw in the flames, and that Beric Donderrion, the Hound, and their crew will be heading for either The Wall or one of the castles to the south of The Wall in order to mix it up with the Night King. One thing that puzzled me about the Hound's vision in the flames was that he mentioned the army of the dead walking past The Wall where it meets the sea(at least it sounded like that to me). But doesn't The Wall extend all the way to the sea, and aren't the dead utterly unable to walk in water? I'm unclear on all that.

BTW, I have to say that I envy the Hound in a way. Who else could get away with calling everyone a "**** "so frequently? If I did that, I'd be getting my ass kicked regularly. :cool:

Last night's episode was very slow. I'm trying to figure out how Jorah ended up in the cell where Sam is at? And what exactly is that place? A library, a hospital, a morgue, or a prison?

I think Jorah ended up at the Citadel in while looking for a cure for his grayscale condition. We know it can be stopped (see: Princess Shireen). Looks like he's in some sort of quarantine and his condition is getting worse.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
I think "the priceless gift" is the key question coming out of this episode.

Among the things that I can think of that Cersei would consider priceless that Euron could possibly produce are:

1. Tyrion Lannister
2. Any of the Sands from Dorne
3. Sansa Stark or Jon Snowe
4. Olenna Tyrell

Of course a Dragon would be the ultimate gift but I do not see how Euron could possibly produce a Dragon.

I predict Euron is going to kidnap one of the foregoing people in the dark of night and my guess would be Tyrion Lannister. I predict that:
1. Euron will kidnap Tyrion and bring him to the Queen,
2. the Queen will agree to marry Euron while Euron continues to insult Jamie without consequence,
3. Jamie will be forced to make the ultimate choice between his brother and sister, and
4. Jamie ultimately chooses his brother and joins in Dany's cause.
If you read the books, Euron has a magical horn that is reputed to be able to tame/bend dragons to the owner's will. The problem in the books is that blowing the horn incinerates a person's lungs. It requires some kind of magic or Targaryen to operate.

Click on the quoted text and see my comments in red typeface.

I believe "where the wall meets the sea" is simply the closest spot that the WW will reach the wall first. Jon mentions this. As for the "walking past the wall" see my post above. By Bran going through the wall he basically opened it up for the WW to pass through

I believe "where the wall meets the sea" is simply the closest spot that the WW will reach the wall first. Jon mentions this.

Jon specifically mentions Eastwatch, which is the fortress at the end of the wall where it meets the sea. Not Castle Black where the Night's Watch is.

By Bran going through the wall he basically opened it up for the WW to pass through

A theory but not yet confirmed in any way. It's also possible the mark only broke the spell protecting where he was located when the vision was compromised (Three Eyed Raven's weirwood cave) and not necessarily everywhere he goes in the world.

If you read the books, Euron has a magical horn that is reputed to be able to tame/bend dragons to the owner's will. The problem in the books is that blowing the horn incinerates a person's lungs. It requires some kind of magic or Targaryen to operate.

It seems this horn likely doesn't exist in the show, otherwise Euron would've mentioned it during the Kingsmoot as a tool to use to persuade Dany, rather than simply relying on his anatomy.

However, there is another horn in the show that someone else found in a much earlier season that is yet to be blown.

Finally watched the preview for next week - anyone want to speculate?

Here it is:

This is the official synopsis for Episode 2: Stormborn - “Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) receives an unexpected visitor. Jon (Kit Harington) faces a revolt. Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) plans the conquest of Westeros.”
My two cents:

Initially, it's hard to tell if the 'Targaryen's can't be trusted' statement by one of the Northern Lords is in response to them finding out Jon is a Targaryen, or with respect to Dany in general. Would seem some clever editing here to make it seem like the former, but not sure. Later in the preview we see Jon strangling Littlefinger, so maybe it could be that Littlefinger let slip that Jon isn't actually Ned's son (would make Sansa the rightful ruler of Winterfell) and likely divide the North. Littlefinger seems to have known about this for some time and even dropped a hint about Jon's real father in an earlier season.

We see Dany's war council game-planning (and Ellaria Sand getting it on with Yara), and more importantly, we see what appears to be Nymeria, Arya's long lost Direwolf (and she looks pissed).

nymeria.gif

I believe "where the wall meets the sea" is simply the closest spot that the WW will reach the wall first. Jon mentions this. As for the "walking past the wall" see my post above. By Bran going through the wall he basically opened it up for the WW to pass through
But even with the Three Eyed Raven's spell broken, The Wall still exists as a physical barrier, no? I am not sure what the physical layout is where The Wall reaches the sea. Does it first reach Eastwatch Castle, which in turn borders on the sea? I read the first three books of this series, but it was so long ago that I don't recall details like this (or Euron's horn, for that matter).

But even with the Three Eyed Raven's spell broken, The Wall still exists as a physical barrier, no? I am not sure what the physical layout is where The Wall reaches the sea. Does it first reach Eastwatch Castle, which in turn borders on the sea? I read the first three books of this series, but it was so long ago that I don't recall details like this (or Euron's horn, for that matter).

I thought The Wall was built with magical incantations in it's foundation; not sure why Bran crossing would undo them.

Reactions: bmw199
nitially, it's hard to tell if the 'Targaryen's can't be trusted' statement by one of the Northern Lords is in response to them finding out Jon is a Targaryen, or with respect to Dany in general.

It's Yohn Royce from the Vale. I assume he's referring to Dany if Jon details a plan to travel to Dragonstone to truce and barter for dragonglass

“Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) receives an unexpected visitor.

My guess is Melisandre finally makes it back to the most recent home she knows after being banished from the North. The season trailer from last month alludes to this.

It's Yohn Royce from the Vale. I assume he's referring to Dany if Jon details a plan to travel to Dragonstone to truce and barter for dragonglass

My guess is Melisandre finally makes it back to the most recent home she knows after being banished from the North. The season trailer from last month alludes to this.

My take too on your first point - I think the editing is designed to maybe make you think Jon has been 'outed'. With regard to point two, that makes a lot of sense. She doesn't have anywhere to go and could help facilitate a meeting of Jon and Dany. Davos wouldn't be too happy though...

My take too on your first point - I think the editing is designed to maybe make you think Jon has been 'outed'. With regard to point two, that makes a lot of sense. She doesn't have anywhere to go and could help facilitate a meeting of Jon and Dany. Davos wouldn't be too happy though...

I'm most interested in any potential interaction between Mel and Varys, who detests magic and red witches and has an uncomfortable history with both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT