ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cold Cut Pizza from Hazleton

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
Yesterday was National pizza day. I missed the board discussion, if there was one. Mark Packer was soliciting suggestions for great pizza worthy of a road trip. There honestly isn’t any in my area, but I do think the “cold pizza” famous in Hazleton area is very good and worthy of a stop if in the area. I see that Carmen’s, Senape’s, and Longo’s are some traditional sources. I swear that Nardones used to make it too. Is any one better than others? Are any available in south central PA?

Yesterday was National pizza day. I missed the board discussion, if there was one. Mark Packer was soliciting suggestions for great pizza worthy of a road trip. There honestly isn’t any in my area, but I do think the “cold pizza” famous in Hazleton area is very good and worthy of a stop if in the area. I see that Carmen’s, Senape’s, and Longo’s are some traditional sources. I swear that Nardones used to make it too. Is any one better than others? Are any available in south central PA?

Senape's is excellent. A good pizza joint for us has always been Matucci's Willow Street Cafe in Mount Carmel.

In State College, best is Faccia Luna although it is not cold pizza.

Last edited:
Neighbors are from the area and bring it along after visits back home.

Senape's is probably the most recognizable and has been around for years.
Carmen's and Frankie's are some of the newer options.
Carmen's is a sweeter richer sauce that is more reminiscent of a traditional tomato pie

I would go with Carmen's and Senape's as the top two.

It's unique to that area and I enjoy it a few times per year.

I've had Senape's. Wife's grandma lived in Hazleton, so we would get it a lot. Unfortunately, grandma passed away several years ago and I haven't had any since. Actually, it was a few years before that. She had sold her house and was living her final years with my in-laws on the West Shore.

I prefer my mom's homemade pizza to all the others. I make it in a deep dish pizza stone on my Kamado Joe. It's really good.

Always Senape’s for me. Love the end pieces that are a little burnt and have the cheese crusted on. Not as sweet and I think they use the best quality cheese. Longo’s is fine, very similar to Senape’s, just not quite as good, but many disagree.

Agree that Carmen’s is similar to Philly tomato pie (with cheese).

Reactions: TiredOldLion

There have been a few threads on pizza throughout the years - Nittany Ziggy has one from 2016. I posted one from 2018 (link below) about Western PA/Ohio Valley pizza style. I still hear New Haven, CT is the best pizza in America - there is a place in Maryland that does it; gonna have to check it out.

We went back to West Hazleton in the Fall to bury family members ashes at the Catholic Cemetery on North Broad. We first stopped at the Hazel Ham store to buy a bunch of hams to haul back home after the ceremony. While checking out at the counter, low and behold there was a stack of Senapes boxes. I grabbed a box and we slammed that thing before the 7 of us went to the gravesite. Delicious.

When I lived in Hazleton, I also liked Senape’s but thought Longo’s was good as well. Those pizza’s are close to the kind I grew up eating, Brier Hill style pizza from Youngstown, Ohio.

Senape’s cold “pitza” may be their signature product, but darn I love their “regular” pizza as well. They make it square and round: the square is a thicker crust bar pizza and the round a more thin crust traditional style. They come with Romano or Schamutz (still have only heard that term in Hazleton).

My favorite is the circle pizza with Romano with sausage and mushrooms. Oh man! Their topping aren’t the usual, I believe they are cooked separately and dumped on the pie when it’s finished cooking rather than baking then on the pie. It is worth the trip for sure! Now I really want a Senape’s pizza and about a dozen 7 oz Miller High Life drafts at Cusat’s.

You can also find the cold pitza in most grocery stores around a 30 mile or so radius.

Not cold pizza but the best in the nation.....twice! Joint in tiny Emporium Pa has won national competitions twice. And the owner coached a team that won a contest in Italy.

I went to PSU Hazleton for a couple years, so I've had all that you mention. The Easton Baking Company in Easton made the best bakery pizza I've ever had, but sadly, they closed last year. They were supposed to reopen, but I lost track in the last year.

There have been a few threads on pizza throughout the years - Nittany Ziggy has one from 2016. I posted one from 2018 (link below) about Western PA/Ohio Valley pizza style. I still hear New Haven, CT is the best pizza in America - there is a place in Maryland that does it; gonna have to check it out.

Thanks. Would like to know about the place in MD. This wasn’t intended to be catch all for all pizza, but I have had Pepi’s From New Haven and it is great. Want to try a white clam “pitza” from a place in West Haven when I’m in the area again.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Thanks. Would like to know about the place in MD. This wasn’t intended to be catch all for all pizza, but I have had Pepi’s From New Haven and it is great. Want to try a white clam “pitza” from a place in West Haven when I’m in the area again.

Okay, got my pizza places mixed up - apparently, there is 'Pete's New Haven Style Apizza' in Georgetown (https://petesapizza.com/); but the one I was thinking of hasn't opened yet - it will be from New Haven, CT pizza pioneer Frank Pepe and was going to be in Bethesda. Not sure if still on track, but here is a link to an article from two years ago...my guess is Covid torpedoed this for now.

As good as Senape's is....it ain't worth going to Hazleton for :)
(I went to Penn State Hazleton for a year so I'm allowed to say that)
You and I may have been there at the same time. 85/86 and 86/87.

LOL it's great to actually know that there are other 'survivors' from Hazleton! Grew up there, and like all the mentioned places. Probably like Senape's the best, and as the OP wrote the hot pizza there is underrated. If you're at their bakery, also look into getting the "Pizza hoagies". They're similar to the pizza, but like larger oval-shaped pieces. If you're there early you get can them warm and fresh.....now I'm hungry.

We went back to West Hazleton in the Fall to bury family members ashes at the Catholic Cemetery on North Broad. We first stopped at the Hazel Ham store to buy a bunch of hams to haul back home after the ceremony. While checking out at the counter, low and behold there was a stack of Senapes boxes. I grabbed a box and we slammed that thing before the 7 of us went to the gravesite. Delicious.
Tell me more about this ham store?

Our tailgating mates and shot clock originators from Norristown always bring Corropolese pizza from the Corropolese bakery. Tomato pie with Romano sprinkled on it. Good stuff.

red-2.jpg

We also have the occasional Old Fashioned pie from Cortese in Binghamton

dscf9182.jpg

Tell me more about this ham store?
Hey Dan, Hazleton was found by many different Europeans ( Poles, Slavs, Italians, Irish, Germans, etc etc ) working In many different capacities but primarily Coal mining I assume. An Austrian couple, Rose Borzaga and her husband, a butcher had moved to the US and settled in Hazleton in 1912. I am not sure who was responsible for the original and tightly kept secret of how they process their hams. They are out of this world delicious. They founded a butchering business which exchanged hands and grew and moved to Hazle Park and still resides in Hazle Park ( where there used to be an amusement park )

the company, Hazle Park Quality Meats was formed in 1972 when production had been moved to Hazle Park. West Hazleton, just off of North Broad Street, easy to find. We pick up these hams for friends and family all the time. I routinely drive from Pittsburgh across the state to buy these for friends in Pittsburgh. They are the best damn hams you will ever eat.

Hazle Park is the place to get your hams and smoked sausages.
I grew up in the area and later carried them home to Bama and Ohio.
I remember buying Senape’s cold pitz for ten cents a square at Bott’s market in Nuremberg. But if you went to Bott’s you wanted the cold cut hoagies for $0.50 a piece. Good times. btw, that’s $3.63 in today’s dollars versus 1969.

Last edited:
Definitely a sleepy campus, but we managed to make our own fun.
But that walk up the hill from the bottom parking lot sucked. Lucky for me I was in a carpool which allowed us to park in the top parking lot so i only had to make that hike a few times..

The weather up there was....interesting. We could have three seasons in one day. Highest point for miles, so the cold and wind could be tough to take.

Reactions: 4INSBU
I've been eating Senape's for 50 years. We recently took over the hospital up there, I had a meeting and someone brought in Carmen's. I'm never eating Senape's again. Carmen's is way better, and I was a huge Senape's fan.

Reactions: hlstone
Is it a faux pas (poor social form) to heat Hazelton cold pitza?
No, but not typical.

If it’s gets a bit stale/soggy, say two or three days old, I would pop it in the oven with a little extra cheese on top. Pretty good that way too. The crust/bread is really the best part, so you typically don’t want to mess it up when fresh by heating it up

LOL it's great to actually know that there are other 'survivors' from Hazleton! Grew up there, and like all the mentioned places. Probably like Senape's the best, and as the OP wrote the hot pizza there is underrated. If you're at their bakery, also look into getting the "Pizza hoagies". They're similar to the pizza, but like larger oval-shaped pieces. If you're there early you get can them warm and fresh.....now I'm hungry.
It is truly amazing how many people I’ve met over the years who “used to be from Hazleton”. All over the country, I’ve had casual conversations with strangers, and discovered they or their parents or grandparents were from there.

Once, upon meeting a new client for the first time in Virginia, he stopped me after about 3 minutes and said “I can tell you’re a coal cracker”. I was like darn, is it that obvious? He was about 20 years older than me, but also from Hazleton.

Anybody ever have pizza from Luigi's in Hermitage (Sharon)?

Not cold pizza but the best in the nation.....twice! Joint in tiny Emporium Pa has won national competitions twice. And the owner coached a team that won a contest in Italy.

I'm seeing a road trip in my future as soon as winter is over.

But that walk up the hill from the bottom parking lot sucked. Lucky for me I was in a carpool which allowed us to park in the top parking lot so i only had to make that hike a few times..

The weather up there was....interesting. We could have three seasons in one day. Highest point for miles, so the cold and wind could be tough to take.
I lived in the dorm, so I had thighs lake Arnold after 2 years.

Reactions: 4INSBU and PSU87
Just checked out their menu -- wow. Reminds me of the menu at Matucci's in Mount Carmel. Definite road trip in the Spring https://www.pizzapalaceplus.com/. 75 miles from State College.
I have a couple projects up that way, so I'll stop for lunch on my way through. Then probably for bread sticks to go on the way home. But I can't get anywhere near my projects in the winter. I've gotten stuck up there in the middle of nowhere before, don't care to again.

A friend brought Senape's to our tailgate a few times, that's the only one of that style of pizza I've ever had, and I really enjoyed it. Wouldn't be my regular go-to pizza but as a change of pace I thought it was great.

Favorite pizza I've ever had was from Tony's in San Francisco. They do so many different styles there that it's tough to pick a favorite. The Detroit-style and the tomato pie are my go-to, though. They have four different ovens -- wood-fired, coal-fired, gas and electric, each one appropriate to different styles.

Once when I was there, I saw a pizza delivered to the next table, and before the family of four could dig in, Tony himself came rushing out of the kitchen and swiped it off of the table without a word. They were pretty stunned -- it took a few minutes before Tony came out again and explained to them that he saw it go out of the kitchen and saw that it didn't meet his standards. (It looked perfectly fine to me, but the guy's a perfectionist and it shows in the product.)

Here's a look at some of their pizzas. And a young lady who seems to be enjoying them to a level that approaches obscene.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT