ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ohio Valley friends - history of 'Ohio Vally' pizza?

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I think we've talked about 'Pittsburgh or Western PA' style pizza before (know for thicker, airy, crunch crust, and small or chopped up pepperoni), but while catching up with my brother he told me his favorite is DiCarlo's Pizza, which started in Steubenville, OH in 1945, and have subsequently began franchising throughout Pennsylvania, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio, and even Myrtle Beach, SC. As far as I can tell, they were the first to add 'cold toppings' to pizza (cheese, mushrooms, pepperoni, etc. - say the cheese retains more flavor cold) and the trend continued with places like Beto's in Pittsburgh.

Anyone have any more information or insight here? I think this is one of the great foodie traditions in that area and am wondering how it came to be. Being from Beaver County, I'm familiar with Police Station Pizza, D & G's Pizza, Buzzy's, etc.

DiCarlo's

dicarlos-4-e1350672445734.jpg

Beto's

betos-cuts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nits74
'cold toppings' doesn't sound appetizing.

You wouldn't think, but people love it (the cold cheese starts to melt when added to the hot tomato sauce). I get this is probably a regional thing though - like coleslaw and fries on sandwiches.

Reactions: Cosmos
You wouldn't think, but people love it (the cold cheese starts to melt when added to the hot tomato sauce). I get this is probably a regional thing though - like coleslaw and fries on sandwiches.

I'm from western PA and the fries on sandwiches (aka "Primanti's") is so over-rated. If I wanted to eat something that tastes like a french fry, I'd eat a damn french fry. Now the coleslaw on a bar-b-q sandwich isn't bad and I hate coleslaw.

I'm from western PA and the fries on sandwiches (aka "Primanti's") is so over-rated. If I wanted to eat something that tastes like a french fry, I'd eat a damn french fry. Now the coleslaw on a bar-b-q sandwich isn't bad and I hate coleslaw.

Different strokes and all....

Coleslaw on BBQ is called 'Memphis-style' IIRC.

Reactions: Cosmos
Other then frozen Pizza, I don't think I have ever seen a pizza with chopped up pepperoni on it.

However, I would agree that Beto's is good stuff.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Other then frozen Pizza, I don't think I have ever seen a pizza with chopped up pepperoni on it.

However, I would agree that Beto's is good stuff.

Here's Quattro Goomba's Winery (in Aldie, VA) version of Western PA pizza (owner is a Western PA native/Blackhawk HS graduate); they chop the crap out of their pepperoni and it's awesome:

quattro-goomba-s-winery.jpg

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Hm, learn something new every day. Other then when I was at Penn State I have lived exclusively about 7 miles south of Pittsburgh lol

I think we've talked about 'Pittsburgh or Western PA' style pizza before (know for thicker, airy, crunch crust, and small or chopped up pepperoni), but while catching up with my brother he told me his favorite is DiCarlo's Pizza, which started in Steubenville, OH in 1945, and have subsequently began franchising throughout Pennsylvania, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio, and even Myrtle Beach, SC. As far as I can tell, they were the first to add 'cold toppings' to pizza (cheese, mushrooms, pepperoni, etc. - say the cheese retains more flavor cold) and the trend continued with places like Beto's in Pittsburgh.

Anyone have any more information or insight here? I think this is one of the great foodie traditions in that area and am wondering how it came to be. Being from Beaver County, I'm familiar with Police Station Pizza, D & G's Pizza, Buzzy's, etc.

DiCarlo's

Beto's

betos-cuts.jpg
They had a DiCarlo's here in Huntington (WV) for a while. right across from the Marshall dorms. They served square pizza like shown above, but IIRC a deep dish style. I kinda liked it. I swear the guy that had it moved down here from some where to open it and was named DiCarlo. But it did close and I dont know what happened, and that was 20 years ago.

I think that the common denominator for these "Ohio Valley" pizza establishments is that the crust is prebaked. They smear the sauce on the crust and put it in the oven for enough time to heat everything through.

Take it out of the oven, add the cheese and toppings, cut into squares, box it and grab the cash (or is it grab the cash and box it?).

The crust tends to be crispier which isn't a bad thing, just different.

I too grew up in Beaver County, but our pizza shop of choice didn't follow this methodology. The guy who ran the place smoked a Pall Mall with every pie that he made. No extra charge for the ash.

When I left the old homestead, my first "home" was just off of Banksville Road and Beto's - the old Beto's that was a 12 by 12 free-standing building about 15 feet from the highway - was close by. Loved their pizza, hated the line.

A year ago, stopped there to pick up 12 pieces and I didn't like it as much as in my youth. Piled on the cheese and unfortunately it stayed cool and unmelted. The young 'uns didn't get the magic and MrsDibbs called me out on strikes.

No laxative worked better than the grease and oil from a Vinnie pie.

I don't like mayonnaise but when mixed with the oil and vinegar on an Italian sub from CC Peppers, it's da bomb.

I think that the common denominator for these "Ohio Valley" pizza establishments is that the crust is prebaked. They smear the sauce on the crust and put it in the oven for enough time to heat everything through.

Take it out of the oven, add the cheese and toppings, cut into squares, box it and grab the cash (or is it grab the cash and box it?).

The crust tends to be crispier which isn't a bad thing, just different.

I too grew up in Beaver County, but our pizza shop of choice didn't follow this methodology. The guy who ran the place smoked a Pall Mall with every pie that he made. No extra charge for the ash.

When I left the old homestead, my first "home" was just off of Banksville Road and Beto's - the old Beto's that was a 12 by 12 free-standing building about 15 feet from the highway - was close by. Loved their pizza, hated the line.

A year ago, stopped there to pick up 12 pieces and I didn't like it as much as in my youth. Piled on the cheese and unfortunately it stayed cool and unmelted. The young 'uns didn't get the magic and MrsDibbs called me out on strikes.

Great stuff. I luv this thread!

No laxative worked better than the grease and oil from a Vinnie pie.
:p Nothing like dipping the "pizza bones" (aka crust) in the pool of grease in the middle of the bent pan.

I don't like mayonnaise but when mixed with the oil and vinegar on an Italian sub from CC Peppers, it's da bomb.

CC always had(s) good cheesesteaks. When in town for a FB game, I always would split 3 sandwiches (California, Philly, Coast to Coast) with whoever came with me.

Speaking of subs, have you eaten the Battleship sandwich at the Triangle in Swissvale? My favorite is the hot sausage and provolone. Tommy Crombie runs the place now. His dad, "Bones" Crombie, owned the place for many many years. Bones was a big PSU football fan. He had photos of himself with JoePa from the '87 Fiesta Bowl and Brian Chizmar, who was a Swissvale (Woodland Hills) grad. I was last in the area in August, and of course stopped at Vinnie's and the Triangle. Good eats!

CC always had(s) good cheesesteaks. When in town for a FB game, I always would split 3 sandwiches (California, Philly, Coast to Coast) with whoever came with me.

Speaking of subs, have you eaten the Battleship sandwich at the Triangle in Swissvale? My favorite is the hot sausage and provolone. Tommy Crombie runs the place now. His dad, "Bones" Crombie, owned the place for many many years. Bones was a big PSU football fan. He had photos of himself with JoePa from the '87 Fiesta Bowl and Brian Chizmar, who was a Swissvale (Woodland Hills) grad. I was last in the area in August, and of course stopped at Vinnie's and the Triangle. Good eats!

I remember the Triangle Bar from a long, long time ago. I used to work in the USSteel Tower and about once a month we'd place an order. I got the Destroyer which was about half of a battleship. Good stuff.

Last fall, I was out in the east hills and decided to go there and pick one up - bough the Battleship and ate for 3 days. Kept it in the refrigerator here at the office and would cut off a piece at lunchtime. After 3 days, the bread was pretty tough but the meat/cheese - oh the humanity.

Thanks everyone for contributing! My next chance for DiCarlo’s will be in Myrtle Beach this summer. Looking forward to it!

I have lived in Philly, my brother once lived in Manhattan and now I Live in the Burgh. Is there some solid pizza in the Burgh? Yes, but by and large as a Food Thing, Pizza in Philly crushes Pizza in the Burgh by a lot.

Philly is one of the great food cities of the world. Can we celebrate the things we like and that are unique about each place without getting into a p*ssing match? Food is subjective - just enjoy.

Philly is one of the great food cities of the world. Can we celebrate the things we like and that are unique about each place without getting into a p*ssing match? Food is subjective - just enjoy.
Good point, didn’t mean to turn it into a pissing match. Deleted my post. My apologies to all. Pittsburgh is a great fantastic food town, so is Philly, I love both places. BTW, I love I’ll Pizzaiola and Proper Brick Oven as well as our local Cucina Bella.

Good point, didn’t mean to turn it into a pissing match. Deleted my post. My apologies to all. Pittsburgh is a great fantastic food town, so is Philly, I love both places. BTW, I love I’ll Pizzaiola and Proper Brick Oven as well as our local Cucina Bella.

Didn't have to delete - just wanted to keep on track with regard to 'unique local food traditions' and not which city is better. I've traveled a lot and Philly can hold it's own with anyone.

Reactions: tgar

DiCarlo's

Beto's

betos-cuts.jpg
Just no. It’s a violation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT