ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Celebrating 11 years following my radical orchiectomy.

OhioLion

Jul 11, 2001
Heart of America, Archbold, OH
Thank you for letting me share my story again on this board with my friends.
A radical orchiectomy is the removal of a cancerous testicle. Eleven years ago at 9:00 am the surgery took place. Eleven years later, I'm clean.
Thanks to my son (7 years old at the time) who likely saved my life. As we wrestled in the family room, he hit me square in the testicles. As I bent over, he laughed in victory. I was nauseous. A couple of weeks later, still sore and swollen. Checked by my urologist on Wednesday, confirmed on Friday and surgery was the following Tuesday, March 20, 2007. Doctor said if the cancer had gone unnoticed, it would have spread throughout my body
Spring is the sign of new life, and today I celebrate with all cancer survivors, as we have new life going forward.
Jeremiah 29:11: "I know the plans I have for you," said the Lord. "Plans to help you, not hurt you. Plans to give you hope and a future."

Hug your family members today.

Thanks

OL

Great news and congratulations. And on a light note, how often do you thank your son for his shot to your groin? My family would have fun with a story like that. "Hey son, remember that time you hit me in the nuts? Thanks!"

As I recall, John Kruk found out about his in a similar fashion, being hit there by a baseball.

Reactions: OhioLion
And on a light note, how often do you thank your son for his shot to your groin?

We remind each other.
Shortly after the surgery, if something came up warranting my "ooh, that's like a kick to the groin", my son would reply - yeah, but it only hurts half a badly now. The first time was without hesitation like we had rehearsed it.
He will remind me every so often that he did save my life. :)

How often do I tell him, my co-best friend? Often. Today was a text to him while he is at HS. "On my celebration day, thanks for hitting me in the nuts!"

OL

Who would think something like that would be a blessing in disguise? Good thing it happen OL. Happy Anniversary!

Reactions: LionJim
A radical orchiectomy is the removal of a cancerous testicle. Eleven years ago at 9:00 am the surgery took place. Eleven years later, I'm clean.
Thanks to my son (7 years old at the time) who likely saved my life. As we wrestled in the family room, he hit me square in the testicles. As I bent over, he laughed in victory. I was nauseous. A couple of weeks later, still sore and swollen. Checked by my urologist on Wednesday, confirmed on Friday and surgery was the following Tuesday, March 20, 2007. Doctor said if the cancer had gone unnoticed, it would have spread throughout my body
Spring is the sign of new life, and today I celebrate with all cancer survivors, as we have new life going forward.
Jeremiah 29:11: "I know the plans I have for you," said the Lord. "Plans to help you, not hurt you. Plans to give you hope and a future."

Thanks

OL
Thank God .....I love reading any good news from a fellow cancer survivor ! I am coming up on my 6th year cancer free after Prostate Removal. They caught mine in an early stage . My message to all of you guys and gals out there....please get periodic examinations with screening for certain conditions ! Please do not ever put it off or delay....time is not on your side .

congrats and continued good health

my 8 year old hit me square in the nads on Monday night .... just brutal

thankfully no swelling but i keeled over in pain

Thanks

OL
Praise God. God bless you richly.

congrats and continued good health

my 8 year old hit me square in the nads on Monday night .... just brutal

thankfully no swelling but i keeled over in pain

Similar incident only my dog jumped up on the couch on which I was lying and used my nads as, well, stepping stones. My son and wife thought it was funny. I didn’t.

So in other words, this guy deserves the Nobel Prize for Medicine.

Congrats and continued good health. Funny story about your son’s reaction. It’s always good to be able to lighten the mood and laugh at events like this. :D

Best wishes for continued good health.

A couple of years ago I had an abscess where the sun don’t shine. Not quite as bad as a shot to the Jimmies, but very uncomfortable. Diaulidid (sp?) is a beautiful thing.

Happy Anniversary OL! A very uplifting story, and quite timely for this cancer survivor. Not yet a year removed from a partial colectomy - i appreciate when others that have been through similar battles share their stories. I have found that it is not easy to talk about, especially with those that are not in the 'Club". June 9th will be my 1 year surgery anniversary, and to date i have been very blessed that all indications are it was caught early enough and did not spread. Must admit i still look over my shoulder almost every day, but stories like yours and the support of loved ones give me hope and a positive outlook to life.

Thank you for the scripture reference! i believe strongly that prayer is why i am still alive and that i have more to do in this life, even if the purpose isn't always clear. Recovery has been a hard road, but every day that i get to share a moment with my adult children and kiss my loving wife of 30 years reminds me of his grace and how truly blessed i am.

whart - congrats to you as well! I also would like to echo your message of examinations and screening. It literally could save your life. I was relatively healthy and delayed a couple years after 50 without a colonoscopy. Most are stigmatized by the prospect of having one - but they are a necessity and are not nearly as bad (prep day is the worst of it) as have been made out to be.Celebrate your 50th birthday by scheduling one, and if you have ever had any gastro related issues you should check with your doctor to see if it should be sooner!

What a big role little mishaps can play. My husband was helping me up a curb on our way to an early valentine's dinner in 2016 but I lost my balance and tumbled into him. He broke his glasses and cracked some ribs. A few weeks later he got a wracking cough and I urged him to go to the doctor. On the second urgent care visit they sent him to the ER. Within an hour we learned he had afib and leukemia (CLL). He just completed his second round of chemo. Because I now have mobility issues due to arthritis and blood clots we take turns being the needier spouse and now live a "new normal". Grateful to still be here and appreciate living one day at a time. My prayers to all those dealing with health issues.

Congratulations on your anniversary OhioLion. Great news.
I too have challenges but never faced the big C or a terminal level challenge, you were blessed to get a kick in the groin. Unpleasant but revealing, not unlike Dolly Parton's bra strap failing on stage, unpleasant for her but revealing. Enough of the jokes, you certainly have reason to celebrate today!

No weapon formed against you shall prosper.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT