FWIW, From Another Board - I spent 4 years at an Ivy-league medical school. The truth about healthcare is SO, SO, SO much worse than you are imagining

WeR0206

Apr 9, 2014
2020evidence.org
Here’s the post:

I'm 28 years old. I spent the past 4 years at an Ivy-league medical school. I couldn't have been more excited to be a doctor when I first arrived on campus. Then, slowly, the truth became more and more apparent to me. I refused to swallow the dogma just because that was what was being taught in class, and always went to the primary research to see if what they were selling was truly accurate. And what I found was worse than I could ever have imagined. It would take multiple textbooks to fully articulate my feelings about the profession, but I'll try to summarize as best as I can below the horrors of healthcare in the US.

1. The healthcare industry in the US is explicitly designed to suck as much money as possible out of people suffering from disease. It is the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the US. Insurance companies and pharma are protected by law in charging truly obscene prices for drugs that have been around for decades. If the patent runs out, they add a single change to the drug and re-patent it. This can be as ****ing stupid as combining two drugs or changing the carrier the drug is delivered in. Drugs that should be priced in the $5-$20 range are routinely gouging innocent Americans for thousands of dollars. Many of the drugs are completely ineffective or even harmful and yet are routinely prescribed because they are "approved" and are literally bankrupting our nation and individual citizens.
  2. The "healthcare" industry is perfectly designed to keep you a customer for life. At one of the "best" medical schools in the country, we not only received next to no education about nutrition or lifestyle in our entire curriculum. I'm here to tell you to your face that the biggest killers (biggest $$$) in the US are 90% due to nutrition and ARE 100% REVERSIBLE. Obesity, Type II diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis, and high cholesterol (don't even get me started. Statins are a COMPLETE scam and are the most profitable drugs in medicine) are DUE TO WHAT YOU EAT . The diabetes and heart associations promote diets that will ensure you have your condition forever. The "heart-healthy" oils promoted by the AHA in the supermarket are the highly inflammatory oils that cause heart disease. Same goes with the ADA and sugar recommendations. Many cancers should also be included in the preventable and reversible category, but say that as a doctor and you'll be ostracized. I'll give you a ~very~ quick lesson that should make your jaw drop. Your body develops microcancers (genetically defective cells) ALL THE TIME. Your innate immune system recognizes these defective cells and deals with them on a daily basis. What does "Modern" medicine do when they find a cancer? THEY WIPE OUT YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM WITH CHEMO. No matter what they say, I promise you there are other ways to treat cancer besides chemo, surgery, and radiation, but this is all the profession has to offer because they can't charge for natural immune boosts and dietary changes. It is disgusting beyond comprehension. (I will caveat here that there are a few subtypes of cancer that do respond well to chemo. the vast majority do not, and the side effects are brutal).
  3. Without going to deep into the history of the profession, I'll just say that the main reason doctors don't wake up to the two above facts is because they are put into immense debt, and forced under pressure and shaming to learn MOUNTAINS of biochemical pathways, mechanisms, drug interactions etc that put them in a panic/fear state and as such they keep their heads down and simply regurgitate what they are taught. They also are routinely forced to work 80-100 hours a week for years on end during residency and literally go into survival mode where you just do what you're told so you won't ruffle any feathers after giving up 8+ years of your life to become a doctor. If you want to do a deeper dive, you can look into the Rockefeller takeover of allopathic medicine via the Flexner report and other mechanisms.
  4. This wouldn't be a proper post without the most relevant topic of all today - VACCINES. Again, a full exploration would be an entire book, but I cannot stress to you how unbelievably disgusting the data is when you actually look at it. Vaccines are almost never tested against placebo, they always are compared to other vaccines so no harmful effects will be found. THIS IS NOT SCIENCE. The FDA and CDC have been fully compromised for decades. Pharma is the biggest lobby in the US. How difficult do you think it is to buy the few dozen voters at these agencies? It was done a long time ago. I'll say it right to your face. Many of the childhood vaccines are 100% 100% 100% 100% causing neurodevelopmental disorders including autism, severe autoimmune disorders and allergies that will make these children dependent on the healthcare industry for their entire lives. The rates are SKYROCKETING, the link is obvious and admitted by top officials, and it is literally one of the biggest threats to humankind's future. 1 in 33 children is being diagnosed with SEVERE developmental disorders, up from 1 in 10,000 in the 70s. The mechanistic link to vaccines is clear. THEY LITERALLY TEACH US IN MEDICAL SCHOOL THAT IT IS NORMAL FOR INFANTS TO HAVE FEBRILE SEIZURES. I'M NOT KIDDING. Listen to the parents who describe their perfectly normal kids who had febrile seizures post-vaccination and became severely delayed many times to the point of inability to speak, read, or write. You need to do your own research. You can listen to documentaries including vaxxed and others where top CDC officials admit straight up that they covered up direct evidence of harm because they were told to. Further, if you actually look at the history of many of the diseases which they are now vaccinating kids for, the incidence rates in the US had already fallen by 90-99% due to water chlorination and other sanitation improvements well before the vaccines were introduced. Some particularly disgusting examples are the Hep B vaccine (given to all newborns ON THE DAY THEY ARE BORN) despite evidence of brain inflammation, and the fact that hep B is a bloodborne illness that can't even be caught by babies (unless their mother is positive which is rare) and their antibodies wane before the age at which they would ever be at risk anyways due to needles or sexual intercourse. It's SICK. HPV vaccine data is also so hilariously bad it really makes me question on a daily basis how this world we live in is possibly real. RFK Jr did an amazing expose on this vaccine in particular years ago if you are interested. Of course the brainwashing is so complete in medical school that you will be INSTANTLY ostracized if you speak out.
I honestly could keep going. The journals are compromised by pharma (editors of top journals quitting and saying straight up their journals have been compromised. Female editor of the NEJM wrote a particularly good piece about this), the ways in which studies are designed and performed are explicitly to make them look better than they are and to cover up adverse events. Choosing poor placebos, limiting follow-up time, testing healthy populations so the results will look better than reality, among 100 other ways they manipulate the trials.

Food, water, soil, and air (all 4) in this country contains poisons from Industry and the government does nothing about it. If you want me to go deeper into this topic in particular, DM me.

When you have done the literally thousands of hours of research into the reality of healthcare as I have done, some of what is going on currently makes more sense, although it is enough to make anyone on earth cry. Pharma control was so entrenched, doctors so brainwashed, and the population so dumbed down that it literally might have taken something as disgusting as the covid vaccine (worse than normal vaccines which are already bad by at least 2 to 3 orders of magnitude) to wake the population up. It breaks my heart. but maybe, just maybe, it will bring down the empire of lies.

If any of you have any questions about anything I wrote or want more direction, I'm always open to talk.

TLDR: spent 4 years in a top medical school to become a doctor. Left it all behind because the reality is so, so, so much worse than you could ever have imagined.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
I skimmed it, there's truth there but the truth is we need medicine . The average person has to do as much as possible to stay healthy and not cause themselves unnecessary problems that could be prevented by a healthy lifestyle.

Reactions: Hotshoe

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
Here’s the post:

I'm 28 years old. I spent the past 4 years at an Ivy-league medical school. I couldn't have been more excited to be a doctor when I first arrived on campus. Then, slowly, the truth became more and more apparent to me. I refused to swallow the dogma just because that was what was being taught in class, and always went to the primary research to see if what they were selling was truly accurate. And what I found was worse than I could ever have imagined. It would take multiple textbooks to fully articulate my feelings about the profession, but I'll try to summarize as best as I can below the horrors of healthcare in the US.

1. The healthcare industry in the US is explicitly designed to suck as much money as possible out of people suffering from disease. It is the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the US. Insurance companies and pharma are protected by law in charging truly obscene prices for drugs that have been around for decades. If the patent runs out, they add a single change to the drug and re-patent it. This can be as ****ing stupid as combining two drugs or changing the carrier the drug is delivered in. Drugs that should be priced in the $5-$20 range are routinely gouging innocent Americans for thousands of dollars. Many of the drugs are completely ineffective or even harmful and yet are routinely prescribed because they are "approved" and are literally bankrupting our nation and individual citizens.
  2. The "healthcare" industry is perfectly designed to keep you a customer for life. At one of the "best" medical schools in the country, we not only received next to no education about nutrition or lifestyle in our entire curriculum. I'm here to tell you to your face that the biggest killers (biggest $$$) in the US are 90% due to nutrition and ARE 100% REVERSIBLE. Obesity, Type II diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis, and high cholesterol (don't even get me started. Statins are a COMPLETE scam and are the most profitable drugs in medicine) are DUE TO WHAT YOU EAT . The diabetes and heart associations promote diets that will ensure you have your condition forever. The "heart-healthy" oils promoted by the AHA in the supermarket are the highly inflammatory oils that cause heart disease. Same goes with the ADA and sugar recommendations. Many cancers should also be included in the preventable and reversible category, but say that as a doctor and you'll be ostracized. I'll give you a ~very~ quick lesson that should make your jaw drop. Your body develops microcancers (genetically defective cells) ALL THE TIME. Your innate immune system recognizes these defective cells and deals with them on a daily basis. What does "Modern" medicine do when they find a cancer? THEY WIPE OUT YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM WITH CHEMO. No matter what they say, I promise you there are other ways to treat cancer besides chemo, surgery, and radiation, but this is all the profession has to offer because they can't charge for natural immune boosts and dietary changes. It is disgusting beyond comprehension. (I will caveat here that there are a few subtypes of cancer that do respond well to chemo. the vast majority do not, and the side effects are brutal).
  3. Without going to deep into the history of the profession, I'll just say that the main reason doctors don't wake up to the two above facts is because they are put into immense debt, and forced under pressure and shaming to learn MOUNTAINS of biochemical pathways, mechanisms, drug interactions etc that put them in a panic/fear state and as such they keep their heads down and simply regurgitate what they are taught. They also are routinely forced to work 80-100 hours a week for years on end during residency and literally go into survival mode where you just do what you're told so you won't ruffle any feathers after giving up 8+ years of your life to become a doctor. If you want to do a deeper dive, you can look into the Rockefeller takeover of allopathic medicine via the Flexner report and other mechanisms.
  4. This wouldn't be a proper post without the most relevant topic of all today - VACCINES. Again, a full exploration would be an entire book, but I cannot stress to you how unbelievably disgusting the data is when you actually look at it. Vaccines are almost never tested against placebo, they always are compared to other vaccines so no harmful effects will be found. THIS IS NOT SCIENCE. The FDA and CDC have been fully compromised for decades. Pharma is the biggest lobby in the US. How difficult do you think it is to buy the few dozen voters at these agencies? It was done a long time ago. I'll say it right to your face. Many of the childhood vaccines are 100% 100% 100% 100% causing neurodevelopmental disorders including autism, severe autoimmune disorders and allergies that will make these children dependent on the healthcare industry for their entire lives. The rates are SKYROCKETING, the link is obvious and admitted by top officials, and it is literally one of the biggest threats to humankind's future. 1 in 33 children is being diagnosed with SEVERE developmental disorders, up from 1 in 10,000 in the 70s. The mechanistic link to vaccines is clear. THEY LITERALLY TEACH US IN MEDICAL SCHOOL THAT IT IS NORMAL FOR INFANTS TO HAVE FEBRILE SEIZURES. I'M NOT KIDDING. Listen to the parents who describe their perfectly normal kids who had febrile seizures post-vaccination and became severely delayed many times to the point of inability to speak, read, or write. You need to do your own research. You can listen to documentaries including vaxxed and others where top CDC officials admit straight up that they covered up direct evidence of harm because they were told to. Further, if you actually look at the history of many of the diseases which they are now vaccinating kids for, the incidence rates in the US had already fallen by 90-99% due to water chlorination and other sanitation improvements well before the vaccines were introduced. Some particularly disgusting examples are the Hep B vaccine (given to all newborns ON THE DAY THEY ARE BORN) despite evidence of brain inflammation, and the fact that hep B is a bloodborne illness that can't even be caught by babies (unless their mother is positive which is rare) and their antibodies wane before the age at which they would ever be at risk anyways due to needles or sexual intercourse. It's SICK. HPV vaccine data is also so hilariously bad it really makes me question on a daily basis how this world we live in is possibly real. RFK Jr did an amazing expose on this vaccine in particular years ago if you are interested. Of course the brainwashing is so complete in medical school that you will be INSTANTLY ostracized if you speak out.
I honestly could keep going. The journals are compromised by pharma (editors of top journals quitting and saying straight up their journals have been compromised. Female editor of the NEJM wrote a particularly good piece about this), the ways in which studies are designed and performed are explicitly to make them look better than they are and to cover up adverse events. Choosing poor placebos, limiting follow-up time, testing healthy populations so the results will look better than reality, among 100 other ways they manipulate the trials.

Food, water, soil, and air (all 4) in this country contains poisons from Industry and the government does nothing about it. If you want me to go deeper into this topic in particular, DM me.

When you have done the literally thousands of hours of research into the reality of healthcare as I have done, some of what is going on currently makes more sense, although it is enough to make anyone on earth cry. Pharma control was so entrenched, doctors so brainwashed, and the population so dumbed down that it literally might have taken something as disgusting as the covid vaccine (worse than normal vaccines which are already bad by at least 2 to 3 orders of magnitude) to wake the population up. It breaks my heart. but maybe, just maybe, it will bring down the empire of lies.

If any of you have any questions about anything I wrote or want more direction, I'm always open to talk.

TLDR: spent 4 years in a top medical school to become a doctor. Left it all behind because the reality is so, so, so much worse than you could ever have imagined.
Thoughts, also TLDR:
1. Well, at a certain level, duh. And that's why it's your job as the doctor to be a gatekeeper to appropriate medical services. Re: pharma pricing, note that among the reasons that is high are that: (i) we are subsidizing the rest of the world (in some cases I'm fine with that, in some cases not); (ii) higher prices subsidize the costs of government programs (such as mandatory rebates and discounts that manufacturers must provide to the G); (iii) while, again, it's your job as a doc to decide what innovations are worthwhile, many are, and five years ago Congress blunted (negated, really) some of the economic incentives underlying the types of innovations described.
2. The healthcare industry is no different from other industries in that it has been industrialized in its specialization, so doctors doctor, and nutritionists nutrition. I would certain quibble with your statement about statins, which certainly have their problems but do in fact confer clear benefits. Perhaps this fellow is too remember when people routinely died of heart attacks at about 70. As to diet, well, as much as docs would like to think that they are god, even the real God allows humans free will to decide what to eat. That's a fact of life. And to suggest that somehow there is a dearth of this information in the market available to consumers is outright laughable. As to oncology, the dirty little secret is that most novel therapies offer only very incremental benefits relative to standards of care. But certain types of cancers have seen dramatic life increases over the last decade (eg, prostate), and some of the new therapies are equally breathtaking for some diseases. The biggest problem with the latter is that they address small patient populations relative to their development cost.
3. Why yes, doctors are often deep into debt and train for long hours. Why? Because they chose to go to medical school, fully recognizing/desiring the out-year income and prestige that the position can bring. As for the stresses of training, why yes, they exist, because at some point in your career you're going to have to make a judgment no matter how tired you are. Perhaps another grad school might have been a better investment for this fellow. Or at least a better specialty like radiology.
4. And finally, the obligatory money shot. Vaccines are generally sound, and save lives. They are tested the way they are tested because of ethical considerations. With that said, anyone who's not a moron should make thoughtful choices about which ones they get. And reasonable minds can certainly differ on that question.

A dissatisfied 28 year old. What a shock.

Last edited:

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Thoughts, also TLDR:
1. Well, at a certain level, duh. And that's why it's your job as the doctor to be a gatekeeper to appropriate medical services. Re: pharma pricing, note that among the reasons that is high are that: (i) we are subsidizing the rest of the world (in some cases I'm fine with that, in some cases not); (ii) higher prices subsidize the costs of government programs (such as mandatory rebates and discounts that manufacturers must provide to the G); (iii) while, again, it's your job as a doc to decide what innovations are worthwhile, many are, and five years ago Congress blunted (negated, really) some of the economic incentives underlying the types of innovations described.
2. The healthcare industry is no different from other industries in that it has been industrialized in its specialization, so doctors doctor, and nutritionists nutrition. I would certain quibble with your statement about statins, which certainly have their problems but do in fact confer clear benefits. As to diet, well, as much as docs would like to think that they are god, even the real God allows humans free will to decide what to eat. That's a fact of life. And to suggest that somehow there is a dearth of this information in the market available to consumers is outright laughable. As to oncology, the dirty little secret is that most novel therapies offer only very incremental benefits relative to standards of care. But certain types of cancers have seen dramatic life increases over the last decade (eg, prostate), and some of the new therapies are equally breathtaking for some diseases. The biggest problem with the latter is that they address small patient populations relative to their development cost.
3. Why yes, doctors are often deep into debt and train for long hours. Why? Because they chose to go to medical school, fully recognizing/desiring the out-year income and prestige that the position can bring. As for the stresses of training, why yes, they exist, because at some point in your career you're going to have to make a judgment no matter how tired you are. Perhaps another grad school might have been a better investment for this fellow. Or at least a better specialty like radiology.
4. And finally, the obligatory money shot. Vaccines are generally sound, and save lives. They are tested the way they are tested because of ethical considerations. With that said, anyone who's not a moron should make thoughtful choices about which ones they get. And reasonable minds can certainly differ on that question.
All true, I'm a very picky medical consumer. if I can do it on my own I do.

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
All true, I'm a very picky medical consumer. if I can do it on my own I do.
it's interesting, my bro in law and my (former) doc went to concierge practices where a patient has to pay an annual fee to be a "member". While many see that as an exercise in greed, the reality is that it's much different. It's an exercise in culling the patient herd, so to speak, so that the doc doesn't have to cram more patients into a day to stay afloat, and can actually spend more time with the patient. Both my bro in law and my (former) doc treat this obligation as a sacrosanct part of the bargain - cell numbers given, any time, any where - and I respect them for it.

I didn't do it, because I'm relatively low maintainance, nonhypochondriacal, and like you, try to address for myself what is and is not potentially serious. And because with specialization of physician extenders, I'd not actually seen my (former) doc personally for quite some time before he changed his practice to concierge, so I didn't feel at risk of "losing" anything.

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
Here’s the post:

What a whiner.
I dont g.a.s. what school he or she went to.

LdN

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
it's interesting, my bro in law and my (former) doc went to concierge practices where a patient has to pay an annual fee to be a "member". While many see that as an exercise in greed, the reality is that it's much different. It's an exercise in culling the patient herd, so to speak, so that the doc doesn't have to cram more patients into a day to stay afloat, and can actually spend more time with the patient. Both my bro in law and my (former) doc treat this obligation as a sacrosanct part of the bargain - cell numbers given, any time, any where - and I respect them for it.

I didn't do it, because I'm relatively low maintainance, nonhypochondriacal, and like you, try to address for myself what is and is not potentially serious. And because with specialization of physician extenders, I'd not actually seen my (former) doc personally for quite some time before he changed his practice to concierge, so I didn't feel at risk of "losing" anything.
I get that .

jrs1024

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2005
West Palm Beach
I think the american diet is absolutely the cause of much of the american medical problem. While pharma has a role in helping address some of those issues, it’s pretty clear that the profit motive also has unknowable consequences.

But yeah, the overeating and carb heavy diet we refer to as the american diet is directly responsible for the majority of american health problems. I don’t blame medicine though. I blame individuals. The info is there. The evidence is in front of your face. Everyone knows being fat is unhealthy. Drinking is awful for you too. We all know it.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
I think the american diet is absolutely the cause of much of the american medical problem. While pharma has a role in helping address some of those issues, it’s pretty clear that the profit motive also has unknowable consequences.

But yeah, the overeating and carb heavy diet we refer to as the american diet is directly responsible for the majority of american health problems. I don’t blame medicine though. I blame individuals. The info is there. The evidence is in front of your face. Everyone knows being fat is unhealthy. Drinking is awful for you too. We all know it.
But few know the huge impact it has. They think it just causes heart problems as you get old.

Reactions: jrs1024

christoph

Jul 27, 2001
You had me until the anti vaccine stuff. It’s not designed suck money, it’s just a very expensive proposition to do everything for everyone. Prevention of obesity… good luck with that one. People don’t listen or don’t care.