ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Captain Marvel

My wife and I saw the movie last Sunday. We walked in as the 3D showing in the same theater was wrapping up and I would say there was at most a dozen people in there. Our non-3D showing had probably 50 people in it. I would say that the room had capacity for 250 to 300.

I was very surprised at how empty it was.

We went to watch IW a week after it came out, Saturday, and the theater was pretty full, 90%.

We also saw Thor:Ragnarok about a week after it came out and theater was 70-80% full. We saw Black Panther almost a month after it first came out, and the theater was 60-70% full.

I got a feeling Marvel / Disney may be reaching the end of the money train after IW:Endgame comes out.

People need a respite from all the comic book hero movies, and something original and fresh. Maybe Avatar is just what the public needs in 2020 and beyond.

I agree with your last part a good bit and I say that as a comic book, Super Hero animation and movie fan, but they are close to a fatigue point. With all the stuff on Cable TV and Subscriber Series its ....a lot.

Midnighter
I just bought a dvd called "Professor Marston and the Amazon Women".
Little-known movie about creator of Wonder Woman, and his wife and mistress.
Havent watched it yet, and likely it will not be very interesting, but reading about the guy's life is. Check him out.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I saw captain marvel opening Thursday night. The theater was sold out.

Great movie. As good as infinity war? Heck no, but better than anything DC has ever done.
Better than the dark knight? Seriously?

Just finished - great movie! Ours was sold out in North Wales.

lol, I saw it Friday nite as well.

I was pleasantly surprised, as the reviews were mixed.

The movies has an @ 20-sec tribute to Stan Lee at the beginning. Those in attendance where I saw it clapped at the end of the tribute.

Two interesting trailers at the end of the movie.

lol, I saw it Friday nite as well.

I was pleasantly surprised, as the reviews were mixed.

The movies has an @ 20-sec tribute to Stan Lee at the beginning. Those in attendance where I saw it clapped at the end of the tribute.

Two interesting trailers at the end of the movie.

I would get into more of a review but feel like a lot has been said. I liked it a lot and how it nearly tied into Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. First time in a ‘lounger’ theatre too - found it pretty enjoyable.

First time in a ‘lounger’ theatre too - found it pretty enjoyable.

really? fatherhood has caused you to miss a few things. ;) They are pretty common around me; about half - 2/3 of the seats are lounge style. They certainly are comfortable. My biggest complaint with them is that with greatly reduced numbers of seats in those theaters, it does make it difficult to decide at 6:30 pm that you'd like to go see a popular or newly opening movie, as by that time all but the front two rows are usually sold out.

I liked it a lot and how it nearly tied into Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Agree on Avengers. I hadn't though of the Guardians of the Galaxy tie-in, but I guess with Goose/Flerken in Captain Marvel, I can see who you'd make that connection.

I would get into more of a review but feel like a lot has been said.

Yeah, I wouldn't have a lot to add to the reviews in this thread.

Didn't think it was very good but enjoyed an evening with my son. Good tie-in to Avengers and GoG (Ronan). Liked the cat, didn't like how they did Fury's eye, good twist with Kree and Skrull. I put it below Black Panther at the bottom of the MCU.

Didn't think it was very good but enjoyed an evening with my son. Good tie-in to Avengers and GoG (Ronan). Liked the cat, didn't like how they did Fury's eye, good twist with Kree and Skrull. I put it below Black Panther at the bottom of the MCU.

I think they did a nice job given the difficult task it is to introduce a major hero who will have huge implications for Endgame and who is less well known that even GotG. That said, I thought it was slightly above average and as good or better than Thor Dark World, Black Panther, and Iron Man 2/3. The humor was some of the best I’ve seen outside of GotG and I left wanting more.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I saw the movie last Sunday. We walked in as the 3D showing in the same theater was wrapping up and I would say there was at most a dozen people in there. Our non-3D showing had probably 50 people in it. I would say that the room had capacity for 250 to 300.

I was very surprised at how empty it was.

We went to watch IW a week after it came out, Saturday, and the theater was pretty full, 90%.

We also saw Thor:Ragnarok about a week after it came out and theater was 70-80% full. We saw Black Panther almost a month after it first came out, and the theater was 60-70% full.

I got a feeling Marvel / Disney may be reaching the end of the money train after IW:Endgame comes out.

People need a respite from all the comic book hero movies, and something original and fresh. Maybe Avatar is just what the public needs in 2020 and beyond.
I was never really into comics, although several of my friends were. Went straight from Star Wars figures to WWF, playing outside and Atari, I guess.

I’ve been enjoying nearly all of the superhero/comic films I’ve seen; all the justice league, Wonder Woman, Superman v Batman (definitely noticing a DC comics trend trend). Also was really into punisher and liked winter soldier and several others, but ragnarok and IW really didn’t do it for me, like at all. I liked all the spider man films I’ve seen of late, including homecoming which included avengers. I guess I just don’t like Thor or the marvel stuff happening in outer space involving Thor.. or something... So those I could use a break from. and I think that trend alone explains my lack of interest in captain marvel.

While planning the day, thought to ask midnighter if he thought captain marvel would be ok for my mature 5 yo daughter, which I think is pushing it even though she’s seen a bunch of the others. Wifey’s planning on taking the kids today. I’ll catch it on demand or Netflix.

@Midnighter, what say you? Please share, especially if you think captain marvel would be too much. It is, after all, PG-13....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was never really into comics, although several of my friends were. Went straight from Star Wars figures to WWF, playing outside and Atari, I guess.

I’ve been enjoying nearly all of the superhero/comic films I’ve seen; all the justice league, Wonder Woman, Superman v Batman (definitely noticing a DC comics trend trend). Also was really into punisher and liked winter soldier and several others, but ragnarok and IW really didn’t do it for me, like at all. I liked all the spider man films I’ve seen of late, including homecoming which included avengers. I guess I just don’t like Thor or the marvel stuff happening in outer space involving Thor.. or something... So those I could use a break from. and I think that trend alone explains my lack of interest in captain marvel.

While planning the day, thought to ask midnighter if he thought captain marvel would be ok for my mature 5 yo daughter, which I think is pushing it even though she’s seen a bunch of the others. Wifey’s planning on taking the kids today. I’ll catch it on demand or Netflix.

I took my 7 year old daughter to see it and am glad I did. Very little bad language, only a tiny bit of innuendo, and the sci-fi violence (which is easy to explain as not real to her). Lots of good, positive images of a strong and powerful woman, which I am glad she gets to see. She usually makes comments on it (and did) because she already recognizes how infrequently they are portrayed that way. Usually it's a guy who saves the day, and this wasn't like that at all.

really? fatherhood has caused you to miss a few things. ;) They are pretty common around me; about half - 2/3 of the seats are lounge style. They certainly are comfortable. My biggest complaint with them is that with greatly reduced numbers of seats in those theaters, it does make it difficult to decide at 6:30 pm that you'd like to go see a popular or newly opening movie, as by that time all but the front two rows are usually sold out.

Agree on Avengers. I hadn't though of the Guardians of the Galaxy tie-in, but I guess with Goose/Flerken in Captain Marvel, I can see who you'd make that connection.

Yeah, I wouldn't have a lot to add to the reviews in this thread.
Movie tavern in flourtown!!! The food sucks but it’s a great movie experience. I’d say 80% of our theater experiences are at that place. Left LEGO 2 about 15 minutes in and waited for the fam with a buddy in the bar. In retrospect, was interesting having that option.
The lounge theaters are excellent IMO.

@Midnighter, what say you? Please share, especially if you think captain marvel would be too much. It is, after all, PG-13....

Agee with 91Joe95 - minimal realistic violence (mostly lasers) and a very big effort to message this movie to young girls. It’s funny too - stuff she would probably get at 5. Nothing terrifying or scary, but there is some physical fights and the Skrulls are definitely Alien looking. Only one on screen death as far as I can remember. It does have some narrative complexities but the visuals and jokes will more than entertain her. And the cat, Goose, is awesome.

I think they did a nice job given the difficult task it is to introduce a major hero who will have huge implications for Endgame and who is less well known that even GotG. That said, I thought it was slightly above average and as good or better than Thor Dark World, Black Panther, and Iron Man 2/3. The humor was some of the best I’ve seen outside of GotG and I left wanting more.
Ah yes, Iron Man 3, I would put CM, BP, and IM3 in the same grouping. I liked IM2 a lot and Dark World a lot.

Last edited:
Agee with 91Joe95 - minimal realistic violence (mostly lasers) and a very big effort to message this movie to young girls. It’s funny too - stuff she would probably get at 5. Nothing terrifying or scary, but there is some physical fights and the Skrulls are definitely Alien looking. Only one on screen death as far as I can remember. It does have some narrative complexities but the visuals and jokes will more than entertain her. And the cat, Goose, is awesome.
Cool. Thanks to you and @91Joe95

Ah yes, Iron Man 3, I would put CM, BP, and IM3 on the same grouping. I liked IM2 a lot and Dark World a lot.

Dark World is OK but suffers from an extreme lack of chemistry between two very good looking and otherwise charismatic leads. I love Portman but she just wasn’t into it.

My ranking of all 20 MCU films.

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Avengers
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor: Ragnarok
Ant Man
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Iron Man 2
Thor: Dark World
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant Man & The Wasp
Doctor Strange
Incredible Hulk
Captain America: Civil War
Spiderman: Homecoming
Iron Man 3
Black Panther
Captain Marvel

Iron Man
Avengers
Thor
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man
Iron Man 2
Ant Man & The Wasp
Doctor Strange
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3
Black Panther
Captain Marvel

Hulk was easily the worst of that list IMO. I'd have to think about my order, but would definitely have Dr. Strange and Thor Ragnarok much higher. I saw this on twitter and thought it was funny - suggested 'watching order' from one roommate to another:

D1y7KSmU8AEe32m.jpg:large

Also, Captain Marvel had a massive second weekend - made nearly $70mm and was only down %55 from opening weekend. Make's it the second biggest second weekend in history (GotG 2 is #1).

giphy.gif

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Hulk was easily the worst of that list IMO. I'd have to think about my order, but would definitely have Dr. Strange and Thor Ragnarok much higher. I saw this on twitter and thought it was funny - suggested 'watching order' from one roommate to another:

D1y7KSmU8AEe32m.jpg:large

Also, Captain Marvel had a massive second weekend - made nearly $70mm and was only down %55 from opening weekend. Make's it the second biggest second weekend in history (GotG 2 is #1).

giphy.gif
Hulk is bottom 6, they could almost be in any order but i put CM and BP as bottom 2. Only thing that saved Civil War from that terrible plot/villain was the great airport battle featuring Ant Man and Spiderman. I do have Ragnarok pretty high, bottom of top third.

And Ultron being Spader as a robot is hilarious!

Iron Man
Avengers
Thor
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man
Iron Man 2
Ant Man & The Wasp
Doctor Strange
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3
Black Panther
Captain Marvel

Dude, good luck with saying anything remotely negative about Captain Marvel in this thread. Too many folks willing to defend the flick simply because it has a female lead, but won’t accept the reality that it’s just an average/below average marvel movie. It has a 64 rating on metacritic, and 62% audience score on rotten tomatoes. Even if you ignore the 3.5 / 10 user rating on metacritic it’s obvious that the movie is overwhelmingly average.

You didn’t hear these people bending over backwards to defend Wonder Woman the other year. Why? Because it was actually a good movie and didn’t need defending. But Capt. Marvel somehow needs to be protected from trolls who are “attacking” the film because it has a strong woman star.

When there are theater owners who have spoken out about irregularities with presold tickets and butts in the seats, and gofundme pages being made to buy tickets for girls to go see the movie, forgive me if I don’t trust the box office figures, they’ve obviously been “massaged” by the mouse.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Dude, good luck with saying anything remotely negative about Captain Marvel in this thread. Too many folks willing to defend the flick simply because it has a female lead, but won’t accept the reality that it’s just an average/below average marvel movie. It has a 64 rating on metacritic, and 62% audience score on rotten tomatoes. Even if you ignore the 3.5 / 10 user rating on metacritic it’s obvious that the movie is overwhelmingly average.

You didn’t hear these people bending over backwards to defend Wonder Woman the other year. Why? Because it was actually a good movie and didn’t need defending. But Capt. Marvel somehow needs to be protected from trolls who are “attacking” the film because it has a strong woman star.

When there are theater owners who have spoken out about irregularities with presold tickets and butts in the seats, and gofundme pages being made to buy tickets for girls to go see the movie, forgive me if I don’t trust the box office figures, they’ve obviously been “massaged” by the mouse.

And what’s wrong with an average movie? I don’t think anyone expected Saving Private Ryan. Wonder Woman was good, not great, but mostly because people know her and what she’s about. Captain Marvel is a fourth tier Marvel character with several comic book incarnations.

We know why you don’t like this movie and it has nothing to do with its quality. Maybe hit up Reddit or twitter so you can chat with like minded folks?

And what’s wrong with an average movie? I don’t think anyone expected Saving Private Ryan. Wonder Woman was good, not great, but mostly because people know her and what she’s about. Captain Marvel is a fourth tier Marvel character with several comic book incarnations.

We know why you don’t like this movie and it has nothing to do with its quality. Maybe hit up Reddit or twitter so you can chat with like minded folks?

Thought that different opinions were accepted on this board, but I guess it’s a good thing a white knight like yourself is around to defend the film.

I don't know what you mean here but I can tell you the reasons I liked the film...

1. There was a lot of witty and funny dialogue/parts... for example when they enter space and Fury asks "Is it supposed to shake like this..." my daughter and I both started laughing.

2. The lack of the "anti hero" element. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is on my bad side for ruining the heroic nature of Hulks creation. Hulk was the most true hero in the Marvel Universe with Cap a close second. In MCU really Cap stood alone with the Hulk taking an Ultimates twist. Capt Marvel seems set to take the reigns from Cap like WW did from Superman in the DC films.

3. Film was well done, period. I had low expectations.. I was very positively surprised. Daughter wanted to see HtTYD, which was pretty weak (saw it later in the week) although it set up nicely for the next generation of dragon trainers. We both agreed Captain Marvel was one of the best films we have seen in a theater recently.

LdN

Last edited:
Thought that different opinions were accepted on this board, but I guess it’s a good thing a white knight like yourself is around to defend the film.

They are - thanks for sharing.

I don't know what you mean here but I can tell you the reasons I liked the film...

1. There was a lot of witty and funny dialogue/parts... for example when they enter space and Fury asks "Is it supposed to shake like this..." my daughter and I both started laughing.

2. The lack of the "anti hero" element. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is on my bad side for ruining the heroic nature of Hulks creation. Hulk was the most true hero in the Marvel Universe with Cap a close second. In MCU really Cap stood alone with the Hulk taking an Ultimates twist. Capt Marvel seems set to take the reigns from Cap like WW did from Superman in the DC films.

3. Film was well done, period. I had low expectations.. I was very positively surprised. Daughter wanted to see HtTYD, which was pretty weak (saw it later in the week) although it set up nicely for the next generation of dragon trainers. We both agreed Captain Marvel was one of the best films we have seen in a theater recently.

LdN

All great points and I agree - lots of fun and a nice way to spend an evening.

As to ‘what I mean’, it’s people like this:

This movie had more reviews (mostly negative) four hours after its release than Infinity War had during its entire theatrical run. There was an obvious effort by guys like the guy I linked to torpedo this movie because Brie Larson has the audacity to suggest more diversity in her press corps.

Anyway - higher, further, faster!

I avoided this thread as I hadn't yet seen the movie. Was able to take advantage of a teacher in-service day, taking my son and meeting a PSU film school buddy to see it this morning. Really enjoyed it. Most has been said in this thread already. Have to admit that I was a bit surprised at the end (although the signs were there and it does fit in with the mythos of the combatants). Definitely setup Captain Marvel 2 as well (although, I wonder how the Kree fared after the snap and what they are doing about it... I don't think Jude Law is in End Game, so that is a story for a separate movie lol). Deifinitely nice to have an extra movie this spring going into End Game next month. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT