ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Captain Marvel

My question for Marvel geeks?

Well, Fawcett Comics published the 'original' Captain Marvel back in the 40's, but DC Comics sued saying he was too similar to Superman. Fawcett stopped publishing Captain Marvel and in the 50's Marvel Comics had their own Captain Marvel who was a Kree male. In that time, Fawcett licensed their Captain Marvel to DC Comics who re-branded the character 'SHAZAM!' to avoid infringing on Marvel's Captain Marvel. As a result, Marvel had to publish new, ongoing Captain Marvel stuff every couple of years, and they did a lot of re-branding of the character as a result. In the 90's, DC Comics assumed full ownership of Captain Marvel/SHAZAM!. Carol Danvers (the one in the movie) was the original 'Ms. Marvel' but in 2012 Marvel made her 'Captain Marvel'. Comics was basically the birthplace of IP law.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Captain Marvel hits just keep coming. It looks like Disney may have pre-purchased tickets to the movie to drive up the figures and combat the bad press the film had been receiving prior to its release.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019...-at-captain-marvel-add-to-movies-controversy/

New reports of empty theaters for Captain Marvel’s weekend showings are the latest in the movie’s ongoing controversy.

A number of Twitter users indicated there were empty seats at a number of Captain Marvel showings over the weekend.

We spoke with a movie theater manager who asked for anonymity. He told us they had “exactly 25 no shows for every showing of Captain Marvel on Thursday through Saturday.”

The manager told us this was definitely abnormal, “It’s definitely not normal. People usually show up when they pay for tickets…I’m not sure what it is, we’ve seen big groups not show up before, but they get refunds.”

I asked whether or not these tickets were purchased in bulk, but that information isn’t available, “I’m not sure if they were bought all at once because Fandango doesn’t give us that information, but exactly 25 no shows for every show is probably statistically impossible.”

The manager would add, “I would say it’s someone trying to make the ticket sales look better than they really were.”

He would also indicate he saw significant drop offs in ticket sales from Sunday at his theater, “Sunday for Captain Marvel wasn’t good and Monday and Tuesday were terrible. They were like a 75% drop off from Sunday.”

The Captain Marvel hits just keep coming. It looks like Disney may have pre-purchased tickets to the movie to drive up the figures and combat the bad press the film had been receiving prior to its release.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019...-at-captain-marvel-add-to-movies-controversy/

New reports of empty theaters for Captain Marvel’s weekend showings are the latest in the movie’s ongoing controversy.

A number of Twitter users indicated there were empty seats at a number of Captain Marvel showings over the weekend.

We spoke with a movie theater manager who asked for anonymity. He told us they had “exactly 25 no shows for every showing of Captain Marvel on Thursday through Saturday.”

The manager told us this was definitely abnormal, “It’s definitely not normal. People usually show up when they pay for tickets…I’m not sure what it is, we’ve seen big groups not show up before, but they get refunds.”

I asked whether or not these tickets were purchased in bulk, but that information isn’t available, “I’m not sure if they were bought all at once because Fandango doesn’t give us that information, but exactly 25 no shows for every show is probably statistically impossible.”

The manager would add, “I would say it’s someone trying to make the ticket sales look better than they really were.”

He would also indicate he saw significant drop offs in ticket sales from Sunday at his theater, “Sunday for Captain Marvel wasn’t good and Monday and Tuesday were terrible. They were like a 75% drop off from Sunday.”

Sounds like fake news

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
When did Nick Fury become a black man? In the old books I have from the 60s he was white.

When did Nick Fury become a black man? In the old books I have from the 60s he was white.

I think sometime around Iron Man 2? This is an alternate Marvel Universe. Factually in the 60s when the books you read were written the US was 90% white. Today that number is closer to 70%... and obviously for young and physically able people, if you run a spline, the number is closer to 50%.

So, it makes sense that many heroes have changes their appearance. It's not a slight to the 60s just an updated view of the universe were it to happen today.

LdN

LOL. The movie is a blockbuster all over the world. And your source is not a source. I'd gear up for your next Star Wars protest - this is a lost (and sad) cause.

Marvel changed Nick Fury when they created the Marvel Ultimate Universe. Not only did they make Nick Fury black, but they modeled him EXACTLY after Samuel L. Jackson. And this was way before there was a Marvel cinematic universe. Jackson is awesome as Fury - just enjoy!

UltimateNickFury.jpg

Maybe, it’s just me, but unless I had to take my kids to a superhero movie, I wouldn’t want to watch one unless I was paid a lot to do it.

Maybe, it’s just me, but unless I had to take my kids to a superhero movie, I wouldn’t want to watch one unless I was paid a lot to do it.

That statement makes no sense. If you have to do something pay is not a factor.

LdN

Rambo 5 to be released this fall.

I read somewhere they are already in pre-production for another one.
It is to be called "Rambo 6: Return to Little Bighorn".

Reactions: NedFromYork
That statement makes no sense. If you have to do something pay is not a factor.

LdN
It means I would not watch these kind movies for my own entertainment unless somebody paid me to do it.
I do not understand their appeal for adults.

It means I would not watch these kind movies for my own entertainment unless somebody paid me to do it.

How old are you? Did you grow up reading comics/playing video games? What kind of entertainment do you typically enjoy? I mean, this thread probably isn't for you...

Reactions: BBrown

Well I went with my child, but a lot of the appeal is to see the changes to the characters one loved as a youth.

Personally I don't see the appeal in people killing eachother with swords and dragons. Or 95% of the "Netflix Originals" which make people depressed showing miserable people leading miserable lives.

But, to each their own I suppose.

LdN

Midnighter... I think it was you who wanted to know what I thought of The Umbrella Academy..I enjoyed it quite a bit, except for th ending/non-ending.

Now I'm taking my Rambo joke and going home.

I'm 2 episodes away from the end. Probably will finish it up tonight.
I have to say so far, I'm very impressed with it. I like the story, the characters (Klaus being my favorite) and love the music.

Midnighter... I think it was you who wanted to know what I thought of The Umbrella Academy..I enjoyed it quite a bit, except for th ending/non-ending.

Now I'm taking my Rambo joke and going home.

Yeah, obvious set up for Season 2. Not too terribly surprising but happy Netflix is supporting other comic book properties since all the Marvel properties are gone.

How old are you? Did you grow up reading comics/playing video games? What kind of entertainment do you typically enjoy? I mean, this thread probably isn't for you...
Too old, I guess. I did read comic books when I was a kid. I’m not a kid anymore.
I guess what surprises me is the level of popularity of these superhero movies that frankly seem to be regurgitating the same thing.
I do like movies, but very few of the ones being made by Hollywood.

Does it matter?
I mean you already asked why Capt. Marvel is now a woman. Which @Midnighter explained really well to you.
You seem to have some other "issues"...and the pun is not intended.

No issues; considering selling some of my own comics.

Reactions: BBrown
Marvel changed Nick Fury when they created the Marvel Ultimate Universe. Not only did they make Nick Fury black, but they modeled him EXACTLY after Samuel L. Jackson. And this was way before there was a Marvel cinematic universe. Jackson is awesome as Fury - just enjoy!
Thanks for the reply. I was a long ago reader and din't know this.

UltimateNickFury.jpg

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

They are mostly pretty entertaining. We all grew up watching and reading the stuff......

Reactions: Zenophile
No issues; considering selling some of my own comics.

Fair enough. I think my skin is a little too thin today and I think all the CRAP i've been reading about why Capt. Marvel is a woman and why did they make this person black and why does this person have to be gay and why does this person have to have blonde hair...is finally taking its toll.
Sorry if I implied something that wasn't there.

Yes, I do and I'm sure some others remember him in the role as well. Thanks.

Fair enough. I think my skin is a little too thin today and I think all the CRAP i've been reading about why Capt. Marvel is a woman and why did they make this person black and why does this person have to be gay and why does this person have to have blonde hair...is finally taking its toll.
Sorry if I implied something that wasn't there.

No problem.

Well, Fawcett Comics published the 'original' Captain Marvel back in the 40's, but DC Comics sued saying he was too similar to Superman. Fawcett stopped publishing Captain Marvel and in the 50's Marvel Comics had their own Captain Marvel who was a Kree male. In that time, Fawcett licensed their Captain Marvel to DC Comics who re-branded the character 'SHAZAM!' to avoid infringing on Marvel's Captain Marvel. As a result, Marvel had to publish new, ongoing Captain Marvel stuff every couple of years, and they did a lot of re-branding of the character as a result. In the 90's, DC Comics assumed full ownership of Captain Marvel/SHAZAM!. Carol Danvers (the one in the movie) was the original 'Ms. Marvel' but in 2012 Marvel made her 'Captain Marvel'. Comics was basically the birthplace of IP law.

I find that just a little too convenient of an explanation..

GettyImages-278038-e1471538092701.jpg

Sounds like fake news
My wife and I saw the movie last Sunday. We walked in as the 3D showing in the same theater was wrapping up and I would say there was at most a dozen people in there. Our non-3D showing had probably 50 people in it. I would say that the room had capacity for 250 to 300.

I was very surprised at how empty it was.

We went to watch IW a week after it came out, Saturday, and the theater was pretty full, 90%.

We also saw Thor:Ragnarok about a week after it came out and theater was 70-80% full. We saw Black Panther almost a month after it first came out, and the theater was 60-70% full.

I got a feeling Marvel / Disney may be reaching the end of the money train after IW:Endgame comes out.

People need a respite from all the comic book hero movies, and something original and fresh. Maybe Avatar is just what the public needs in 2020 and beyond.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
My wife and I saw the movie last Sunday. We walked in as the 3D showing in the same theater was wrapping up and I would say there was at most a dozen people in there. Our non-3D showing had probably 50 people in it. I would say that the room had capacity for 250 to 300.

I was very surprised at how empty it was.

We went to watch IW a week after it came out, Saturday, and the theater was pretty full, 90%.

We also saw Thor:Ragnarok about a week after it came out and theater was 70-80% full. We saw Black Panther almost a month after it first came out, and the theater was 60-70% full.

I got a feeling Marvel / Disney may be reaching the end of the money train after IW:Endgame comes out.

People need a respite from all the comic book hero movies, and something original and fresh. Maybe Avatar is just what the public needs in 2020 and beyond.

Trying to go tonight in NE Philly area and most of the prime showing are near capacity. I agree with the fatigue though, but don’t think Avatar is the answer.

ADVERTISEMENT