ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Captain Marvel

Saw it, was alright, not great, but not terrible. I expected more, especially after the last few Marvel movies (Spider-Man:Homecoming, Thor:Ragnarok, Infinity Wars). More in line with Ant-man and Wasp, which, while entertaining, was just alright in my book.

Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?

Saw it today... thought it was one of the better Marvel films to come out recently.

The underlying female/lesbian whatever thing was more subtle than I expected which made it better.

Some really laugh out loud moments which were snuck in nicely.

Edit: Also a couple of nice twists to the story which kept it interesting.

My daughter loved it.

LdN

Saw it today... thought it was one of the better Marvel films to come out recently.

The underlying female/lesbian whatever thing was more subtle than I expected which made it better.

Some really laugh out loud moments which were snuck in nicely.

Edit: Also a couple of nice twists to the story which kept it interesting.

My daughter loved it.

LdN

What is the “lesbian thing”? Is she supposed to be swing that way? I hadn’t heard that one.

I thought it was okay. My favorites were Captain America (1 & 2), Ragnarok, and Guardians.

I'm guessing it was implied with the flashback scenes of her (Carol Danvers) and (Maria Rambeau)l. They were shown hanging out together, bar scenes and seemingly rooming together, scenes of Carol at Maria's with her daughter a lot.

I didn't think anything of it until this thread.

Saw it last weekend. It was entertaining, but I wouldn't put it up there with Black Panther, any of the Avengers movies, or any of the three Captain America movies. Brie Larson gave a good performance, special effects were great, they got into Nick Fury's early days, but I just wasn't blown away by the story line. There was one really good plot twist.

The post-credit scene was a cool transition between Infinity War and End Game.

I too, didn't think there was a lesbian innuendo until reading this thread.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Saw it last weekend. It was entertaining, but I wouldn't put it up there with Black Panther, any of the Avengers movies, or any of the three Captain America movies. Brie Larson gave a good performance, special effects were great, they got into Nick Fury's early days, but I just wasn't blown away by the story line..

Yet the story line of Black Panther did? I would describe Black Panther the same way you just described Captain Marvel

The reviews aren't stellar but the opening was quite nice. $455 million opening weekend worldwide.

For comparison's sake, Batman vs Superman grossed a total of $860 million in its entire run.

Black Panther imo was the weakest of the latest films.

Captain Marvel was considerably better but to each their own.

LdN

I actually liked Black Panther better than Infinity War.
But then Thor Ragnarock and Winter Soldier are my 2 favorites. The first Ironman comes in 3rd for me.
But I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
But then Thor Ragnarock and Winter Soldier are my 2 favorites. The first Ironman comes in 3rd for me.
I'm with you, Winter Soldier is way up there and may be the best one, first Iron Man as well. A bunch very good. I tend to put Homecoming and Black Panther and Hulk towards the bottom but still liked them. I like the Ant Man movies a lot but know people tend to put those toward the bottom.

Winter Soldier was in 2014. I meant the last two years... but agree.

Fact is expectations going in massively affect ratings. Iron Man one was whst started this massive enterprise, thats how good it was.

And Spider Man... the original one was one of the best films ever... massively exceeding expectations and making the genre real again.

Ldn

Reactions: BBrown
I'm with you, Winter Soldier is way up there and may be the best one, first Iron Man as well. A bunch very good. I tend to put Homecoming and Black Panther and Hulk towards the bottom but still liked them. I like the Ant Man movies a lot but know people tend to put those toward the bottom.

I liked both Ant Man movies, I just thought they were fun. Same with the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

Winter Soldier was in 2014. I meant the last two years... but agree.

Fact is expectations going in massively affect ratings. Iron Man one was whst started this massive enterprise, thats how good it was.

And Spider Man... the original one was one of the best films ever... massively exceeding expectations and making the genre real again.

Ldn

Yea I forgot how much I liked first Spiderman but then I'm a Sam Raimi fan.
Where do we put Logan into this? He kind of gets left out and IMO that was a really good film.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Where do we put Logan into this? He kind of gets left out and IMO that was a really good film.

Is Logan the extremely violent one? I would leave it off the list. I put it with the recent Rambo movie that was very heavy on gore. Not sure what inspired them to make that film... but it is very much contrary to the Marvel films I love.

LdN

Is Logan the extremely violent one? I would leave it off the list. I put it with the recent Rambo movie that was very heavy on gore. Not sure what inspired them to make that film... but it is very much contrary to the Marvel films I love.

LdN

Logan is their attempt to do a more "adult" superhero film. Not adult as in mature, with complex characters, realistic dialogue, relatable situations etc.

Just adult as in "-MORE GORE!".

Saw it, was alright, not great, but not terrible. I expected more, especially after the last few Marvel movies (Spider-Man:Homecoming, Thor:Ragnarok, Infinity Wars). More in line with Ant-man and Wasp, which, while entertaining, was just alright in my book.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Logan is maybe the best superhero movie ever IMO (if you can call it that). Jackman is spectacular and I believe it earned a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar Nomination. Black Panther is tremendously overrated IMO. It's Iron Man, but in Africa. I love the character and the way he fits into the Marvel Universe, but the 'alien tech' trope just doesn't do it for me. I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet but am happy it did so well. The more Marvel gets into it's 'expanded' universe (space, and beyond) the better it will get. I like that they're not afraid to 'get weird' a bit - GotG and Thor Ragnarok were excellent examples of what could be (and Marvel hasn't scratched the surface of what's possible there - just need to get Fantastic Four and X-Men in their fold).

Also, Brie at the premiere in London was *STELLAR* (snicker)....

brie-larson-captain-marvel-premiere4.jpg

52669058_405884180161002_5379173114341727334_n.jpg

LdN

I dont know what the latest Rambo movie was.
I didnt think Logan was overtly violent but it was not the PG or PG13 Marvel movies.
It was kind of like a Pekinpah western, aging Super Hero movie.;)

I consider Logan in X-Men universe and not in the Marvel superhero universe we are discussing here and hope Marvel keeps it that way. I didn't like Logan at all.

I consider Logan in X-Men universe and not in the Marvel superhero universe we are discussing here and hope Marvel keeps it that way. I didn't like Logan at all.

Good point. It was indeed in an alternative universe and that said those films were popular then. Death of Superman. The Dark Knight Returns (Where an old Batman comes back like the graphic novel). Logan. Etc.

LdN

Logan is their attempt to do a more "adult" superhero film. Not adult as in mature, with complex characters, realistic dialogue, relatable situations etc.

Just adult as in "-MORE GORE!".

Yes that was my view. The characters were not complex... they were almost caricatures. Tons of gore. Totally ridiculous scenes that were not good even in a make believe world.

I'm not surprised some people liked it, but some people liked Rambo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambo_(2008_film)

LdN

I thought Captain Marvel was par for the course. Typical hero origin story with a few twists, humor, and mild violence. Larson is good, Samuel Jackson and Jude Law are better. Worth a watch, especially since she seems to be a big part of the next Avengers movie and beyond.

My only gripe is that I don't like these Superman type powers on display on the big screen (flying, super power blasts, super strength, can enter/exit earth's orbit at will, near invincibility, etc.) Your non-godlike heroes have to all of a sudden become god-like or fall to bit players because the villain has to at least be on the same level as your hero-superman type, otherwise it would be over pretty quickly if the good guys had all the power.

I would say it was good not great. However if your familiar with the Captain Marvel line in the comics along with the Skrulls and the Kree there was a slight disappointment for me in that regard that the storyline didn't feature some of those elements, and maybe that's tied up in the Fox-Disney negotiations.

Still an enjoyable movie and some good throwback stuff/nostalgia in the background

Guns and Roses concert ticket on the table etc...

I thought Captain Marvel was par for the course. Typical hero origin story with a few twists, humor, and mild violence. Larson is good, Samuel Jackson and Jude Law are better. Worth a watch, especially since she seems to be a big part of the next Avengers movie and beyond.

My only gripe is that I don't like these Superman type powers on display on the big screen (flying, super power blasts, super strength, can enter/exit earth's orbit at will, near invincibility, etc.) Your non-godlike heroes have to all of a sudden become god-like or fall to bit players because the villain has to at least be on the same level as your hero-superman type, otherwise it would be over pretty quickly if the good guys had all the power.

This. The superheros with supernatural powers (like Superman and Capt. Marvel) don’t interest me. I find the most compelling superheroes are the mere mortals that have to rely on their wits, training, and intelligence in the form of tech. they’ve invented to overcome the baddies - like Batman and Iron Man. Also, when the superhero is damn near immortal and invincible (all Superman needs are some rays to regenerate), it kind of kills any drama. It also renders the other non-godlike superheroes irrelevant. Give me Watchmen or the Dark Knight Returns anyday over the super duper hero fare.

[QUOTE=" Give me Watchmen or the Dark Knight Returns anyday over the super duper hero fare.[/QUOTE]

wither the Green Hornet!!!

The Dark knight , Spider-Man 2 with octo, avengers infinity war, iron man and Thor are the best. Now I would say Deadpool is awesome and in a league by itself in the “r” rated world.

Reactions: tmacpolo
Not sure if this was posted on here or someplace else. Here is a oneshot of The Mandarin. Very entertaining short film (13 minutes) for those needing a Marvel fix.

This. The superheros with supernatural powers (like Superman and Capt. Marvel) don’t interest me. I find the most compelling superheroes are the mere mortals that have to rely on their wits, training, and intelligence in the form of tech. they’ve invented to overcome the baddies - like Batman and Iron Man. Also, when the superhero is damn near immortal and invincible (all Superman needs are some rays to regenerate), it kind of kills any drama. It also renders the other non-godlike superheroes irrelevant. Give me Watchmen or the Dark Knight Returns anyday over the super duper hero fare.

Yeah, this is a big problem - especially for DC and Superman. Marvel has handled their super powered characters much better (by having villains equal to the task). Thanos trucked the Hulk and the Infinity Gauntlet made him extremely formidable. They're smart about Thor by having a lot of his adventures off Earth (Asgard, etc.) where he can regularly interact with people as powerful as he is (such as Hela, etc.). To your point, having Hawkeye and Black Widow anywhere near alien or supernatural forces is sort of dumb, but they make it work. One of the biggest issues with Justice League is their big baddie, Steppenwolf, bascially says from the beginning that he's only making for the Motherbox because Superman is dead. If 'the Kryptonian' is/was alive, he wouldn't bother. And when Superman does show up, he beats the crap out of Steppenwolf. I will say they really downplay Wonder Woman's powers in the movies - she's only a notch below Superman, and depending on canon, her 'magic' derived powers should trump Superman's genetics (in the comics, Superman has been vulnerable to magic depending on the writer).

As for Watchmen, I think you forgot about someone...

tumblr_mjidreU6ky1s6q8s2o1_500.gif

Yeah, this is a big problem - especially for DC and Superman. Marvel has handled their super powered characters much better (by having villains equal to the task). Thanos trucked the Hulk and the Infinity Gauntlet made him extremely formidable. They're smart about Thor by having a lot of his adventures off Earth (Asgard, etc.) where he can regularly interact with people as powerful as he is (such as Hela, etc.). To your point, having Hawkeye and Black Widow anywhere near alien or supernatural forces is sort of dumb, but they make it work. One of the biggest issues with Justice League is their big baddie, Steppenwolf, bascially says from the beginning that he's only making for the Motherbox because Superman is dead. If 'the Kryptonian' is/was alive, he wouldn't bother. And when Superman does show up, he beats the crap out of Steppenwolf. I will say they really downplay Wonder Woman's powers in the movies - she's only a notch below Superman, and depending on canon, her 'magic' derived powers should trump Superman's genetics (in the comics, Superman has been vulnerable to magic depending on the writer).

As for Watchmen, I think you forgot about someone...

tumblr_mjidreU6ky1s6q8s2o1_500.gif

Nerd mini-thesis time: I didn’t forget about Dr. Manhattan. I think he proves my point and his impact on the Watchmen world is what makes Watchmen so brilliant. Taken to its logical conclusion, which only Alan Moore has done, a god-like superhero renders all other superhero’s obsolete. At the end of Watchmen, both the movie and the graphic novel, Rorschach is dead, Night Owl and Silk Spectre retire again and Ozymandius is more a Jeff Bezos figure than a superhero. With Dr. Manhattan around not only are superheroes unnecessary but so is war and nation states. Alan Moore side-steps this inevitable conclusion in two ways: He makes the character aloof and not intersted in what happens to humans - they’re too trivial for such an omnipotent being - and then in the end Dr. Manhattan leaves to create life elsewhere. Moore is saying that this type of a superhero can’t exist in the world of superheroes and has to go away, because otherwise it’s the end of the superhero genre.

That’s my take on Dr. Manhattan and why Alan Moore made him so indifferent to human concerns and ultimately in the end made him choose to abandon humanity.

Nerd mini-thesis time: I didn’t forget about Dr. Manhattan. I think he proves my point and his impact on the Watchmen world is what makes Watchmen so brilliant. Taken to its logical conclusion, which only Alan Moore has done, a god-like superhero renders all other superhero’s obsolete. At the end of Watchmen, both the movie and the graphic novel, Rorschach is dead, Night Owl and Silk Spectre retire again and Ozymandius is more a Jeff Bezos figure than a superhero. With Dr. Manhattan around not only are superheroes unnecessary but so is war and nation states. Alan Moore side-steps this inevitable conclusion in two ways: He makes the character aloof and not intersted in what happens to humans - they’re too trivial for such an omnipotent being - and then in the end Dr. Manhattan leaves to create life elsewhere. Moore is saying that this type of a superhero can’t exist in the world of superheroes and has to go away, because otherwise it’s the end of the superhero genre.

That’s my take on Dr. Manhattan and why Alan Moore made him so indifferent to human concerns and ultimately in the end made him choose to abandon humanity.

My post was TIC but I enjoyed reading your response. I’m looking forward to the HBO miniseries this year for sure!

I don’t have HBO but that makes me want to get HBO To Go through my Amazon FireTV so I can see it. I could also catch up on all the Ray Donovan’s too.

Think Donovan is on Showtime, but point taken.

I have Marvel's Captain Marvel #1, 2 and 4 from the '60s. What happened to that guy?
He was a man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT