ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Advice for Trip to Freeport/Kennebunk, Maine

ThePennsyOracle

Oct 9, 2015
Looking to take the wife for 3-5 nights to Maine. She's always wanted to see the coastline there and never got the chance. We're possibly looking at going during PSU's bye week (October 13-17, depending on work issues) but we'll have at minimum 3 nights to stay somewhere.

She's an LL Bean fan and would like to hit up the Freeport store. I also hear Kennebunk is a great area to explore in terms of coastline. It also seems to be prime fall foliage time up there, so it sounds like a great time to go.

Any suggestions on where to stay and things to do (or not do)? I'm not looking for a great hotel or resort because frankly, we won't be there. My only requirements are being clean and bedbug free--think Super 8, Motel 6, etc. The only exception would be a deserted property on the edge of a lake/park/etc if such a thing exists. Seemingly, Portland would be a decent place to stay because it's fairly close to our destinations.

Last edited:
Looking to take the wife for 3-5 nights to Maine. She's always wanted to see the coastline there and never got the chance. We're possibly looking at going during PSU's bye week (October 13-17, depending on work issues) but we'll have at minimum 3 nights to stay somewhere.

She's an LL Bean fan and would like to hit up the Freeport store. I also hear Kennebunk is a great area to explore in terms of coastline. It also seems to be prime fall foliage time up there, so it sounds like a great time to go.

Any suggestions on where to stay and things to do (or not do)? I'm not looking for a great hotel or resort because frankly, we won't be there. My only requirements are being clean and bedbug free--think Super 8, Motel 6, etc. The only exception would be a deserted property on the edge of a lake/park/etc if such a thing exists. Seemingly, Portland would be a decent place to stay because it's fairly close to our destinations.

Well - this recommendation might not help you, but might be of interest to others:

Beautiful accommodations - excellent food and wine list...

The White Barn Inn - Kennebunkport ME

http://www.whitebarninn.com

I'm familiar with the area since we have a house up there. Let's start by picking an area where you want to stay.

First off, I think you mean Kennebunkport, because Kennebunk, though a nice place to live, has little to recommend itself other than Bennettt's Sandwich Shop, which makes a pretty good cheese steak.

Portland might be a good place to stay because it's midway between your areas of interest, which are about 45 minutes to an hour apart. More lodging choices and a lot more to do at night. Can't particularly recommend any place. You're not going to find much in the way of chains in the Kennebunkport area. Most of the resorts will be closed and those that are open will be pricey. In Freeport, there is a Super 8 and a Holiday Inn Express on Route 1, a mile or two south of the downtown area, but right across the street from the Maine Beer Company.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the area since we have a house up there. Let's start by picking an area where you want to stay.

First off, I think you mean Kennebunkport, because Kennebunk, though a nice place to live, has little to recommend itself other than Bennettt's Sandwich Shop, which makes a pretty good cheese steak.

Portland might be a good place to stay because it's midway between your areas of interest, which are about 45 minutes to an hour apart. More lodging choices and a lot more to do at night. Can't particularly recommend any place. You're not going to find much in the way of chains in the Kennebunkport area. Most of the resorts will be closed and those that are open will be pricey. In Freeport, there is a Super 8 and a Holiday Inn Express on Route 1, a mile or two south of the downtown area, but right across the street from the Maine Beer Company.

Thanks Art--you are correct, Kennebunkport is the area I'm thinking of. I don't "speak Maine" well enough. If you want to rent out your house for a few days VRBO-style, let me know. ;)

if you go to Freeport make sure you stop at the http://www.britishgoods.com/1/ Bridgham and Cook store (which I believe is near LL Bean store). Other than that I would eat every lobster roll I could!!

There will unfortunately be no lobster due to a shellfish allergy. Finding places to eat will unfortunately be challenging.

Even from McDonald's?
If I were in Maine!! I guarantee the lobster roll in Maine from McDonald's is better than any Lobster roll I can get here in Huntington, WV!! But If I were in Maine I wouldn't be stopping at a McDonald's either. When traveling I like to go to any non chain. For example, when I was in Cayman, a friend wanted to eat at the Hard Rock, are you kidding me!!!

Reactions: step.eng69
Try AIRbnb for lodging. I saw this on the board a few years ago and looked at several places to stay in Dublin for the PSU game. Finally settled on a two bedroom, kitchen, dinning, etc. for my son & grandson. Clean & furnished as advertised.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/The-Kenneb.../2016&ss_id=5kyd1x4i&source=bb&s_tag=UWJgGJaN

bmw199
Post #136
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Re: Dublin lodging

I am thinking about using this site to rent a room or apartment. My buddy from work just used it in Barcelona (two different places) and Amsterdam and said it was great and plans to use it next year when he goes to Italy. Way cheaper too.

Link: https://www.airbnb.com/

Last edited:

Why would an Oracle be asking for advice? I thought they only gave advice.

Thanks Art--you are correct, Kennebunkport is the area I'm thinking of. I don't "speak Maine" well enough. If you want to rent out your house for a few days VRBO-style, let me know. ;)

Unfortunately someone will be in it every weekend through Thanksgiving. That's what happens when you have adult, more or less, children.

There will unfortunately be no lobster due to a shellfish allergy. Finding places to eat will unfortunately be challenging.

Not as much as you might think. Plenty of great places in Portland. Start with Hugo's, Fore Street, and Miyake. Harraseeket Inn and Jameson Tavern in Freeport. Maine Beer Company has a couple of guys doing really good pizza off a truck, but can't say if they'll be there when you are.

Restaurants in Kennebunkport are overpriced and overstuffed. Head further south to MC Perkins Cove in Ogunquit; When Pigs Fly and Robert's Maine Grill in Kittery. Bintliff's in Ogunquit serves a nice brunch.

If you want to explore the Maine coastline up close and personal, take a walk along Marginal Way in Ogunquit.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
If I were in Maine!! I guarantee the lobster roll in Maine from McDonald's is better than any Lobster roll I can get here in Huntington, WV!! But If I were in Maine I wouldn't be stopping at a McDonald's either. When traveling I like to go to any non chain. For example, when I was in Cayman, a friend wanted to eat at the Hard Rock, are you kidding me!!!

I'm not sure you should be putting money on that.

Oh, and FWIW, my favorite time to shop at LL Bean is 3 AM....yes, in the stores.

Reactions: bytir
try Camden it is the epitome of a new England costal town.
If you can jigger some extra time Acadia National Park is worth the extra journey. Stick to the interstate if go

Reactions: Nitt1300
Freeport is great for the huge LL Bean stores and outlet shopping. Unless you're planning to do a lot of outlet shopping, I probably wouldn't recommend staying in Freeport. By mid-October, the room rates should be down, but many touristy places also close (particularly after Columbus Day), so make sure what you want to see is open. That said, you could probably even find a room on a beach or overlooking the water, cheap - because almost nobody will be there.

Portland has a nice downtown with lots to do. The Portland Head lighthouse, south of Portland, is an impressive location to visit.

That said, if you really want to see the coast of Maine, I recommend going further north and east. East of Brunswick, Maine changes once you get away from the interstate highways.

Best restaurants: Fore Street (in Portland); Primo (in Rockland).

We just got back from a week in Ogunquit, right down the road from Kennebunkport. We have been going there for years. I would highly recommend, it is a neat town with lots of great dining options, albeit some may be closed due to time of year. Lobster Shack in Perkins Cove has the best lobster rolls I've had.

I can also second Portland as a good option, and based on time of year you're going this may have the most available options in terms of dining as the smaller towns could be hit or miss on what's open.

Either way, we love Maine and have had good success with VRBO to rent a place. Nice staying in a home vs. hotel room.

Reactions: Meteor-Lion
We just got back from a week in Ogunquit, right down the road from Kennebunkport. We have been going there for years. I would highly recommend, it is a neat town with lots of great dining options, albeit some may be closed due to time of year. Lobster Shack in Perkins Cove has the best lobster rolls I've had.

I can also second Portland as a good option, and based on time of year you're going this may have the most available options in terms of dining as the smaller towns could be hit or miss on what's open.

Either way, we love Maine and have had good success with VRBO to rent a place. Nice staying in a home vs. hotel room.

Ogunquit is wonderful and there are places to stay, but they ain't cheap, even in the off season. Clam Shack in Kennebunkport is better than the Lobster Shack in Perkins Cove for lobster rolls and one is less likely to pass out from the ambient miasma.

Fox's Lobster House in Cape Neddick is good. Scenery is nice with Nubble lighthouse right there. Kittery has some good restaurants (Warrens). If you can find Newick's outside of Portsmouth NH, that's good, too.
It is a drive, but go along the coastline and stop at Fort McClary. Drive back on 95

You should plan to stop at Freeport for a couple of hours on the way up to scout and a couple on the way back to shop. Get in and get out.

Kennebunkport is nice. There is a small bar on a canal that is frequented by locals (can't remember the name). I walked in and bought a round for the bar that cost me about $30. That got us some great conversation and a long boat ride all through the harbor and as close to the Bush vacation house as the SS would allow. Very cool.

In Kennebunkport I like the Maine Stay Inn. It's a BnB and very nice.
http://mainestayinn.com/

I recommend you add Booth Bay Harbor to your visit. Perhaps the most picturesque New England I've ever seen. I like Brown's Wharf Inn in Booth Bay Harbor.
http://www.brownswharfinn.com/

Beware; prime foliage time, although beautiful, is also prime rate time for all hotels etc. Prices will be 2 - 5 times normal. Remember, they only get about 10 days for this bounty and they take advantage. Have fun.

Portland has maybe the best restaurant scene of any small city in the country- lots of great places to eat. And don't miss Portland Head Light while you're there.

Get an Italian sandwich at Amatos on India Street, too.

Lobster became popular beyond Maine only fairly recently, so of course the price went up. Back in the day if you were a rich kid in Maine you brought a baloney sandwich to school, if you were a poor kid you brought lobster.

You should plan to stop at Freeport for a couple of hours on the way up to scout and a couple on the way back to shop. Get in and get out.

Kennebunkport is nice. There is a small bar on a canal that is frequented by locals (can't remember the name). I walked in and bought a round for the bar that cost me about $30. That got us some great conversation and a long boat ride all through the harbor and as close to the Bush vacation house as the SS would allow. Very cool.

In Kennebunkport I like the Maine Stay Inn. It's a BnB and very nice.
http://mainestayinn.com/

I recommend you add Booth Bay Harbor to your visit. Perhaps the most picturesque New England I've ever seen. I like Brown's Wharf Inn in Booth Bay Harbor.
http://www.brownswharfinn.com/

Beware; prime foliage time, although beautiful, is also prime rate time for all hotels etc. Prices will be 2 - 5 times normal. Remember, they only get about 10 days for this bounty and they take advantage. Have fun.

Anytime you're on Route 1 for more than, say, ten miles, you're playing Russian roulette with driving time. Boothbay Harbor and Camden are both about an hour north of Freeport...usually. Get stuck behind a tractor trailer or some old geezer in a vintage pick-up and it's forever.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
Anytime you're on Route 1 for more than, say, ten miles, you're playing Russian roulette with driving time. Boothbay Harbor and Camden are both about an hour north of Freeport...usually. Get stuck behind a tractor trailer or some old geezer in a vintage pick-up and it's forever.
Glass half-full?
If that happens get off Route 1 and take I-95 or I-295 depending on where you are and get on Route 1 right by Booth Bay Harbor.

I forgot to mention Portland. Great waterfront area for restaurants, music, shops, etc. The OP needs to plan another day or two for this trip.

Glass half-full?
If that happens get off Route 1 and take I-95 or I-295 depending on where you are and get on Route 1 right by Booth Bay Harbor.

I forgot to mention Portland. Great waterfront area for restaurants, music, shops, etc. The OP needs to plan another day or two for this trip.
Even if you take 95 or 295 you still need to take Route 1 through Bath, Brunswick etc. to get to BBH. Depending on the time of day, Route 1 will be backed up for a while going into Wiscasset.

Glass half-full?

Gee, they must have rerouted 295 in the last couple of weeks. Closest it comes to Boothbay is Brunswick/Topsham, slightly more than 30 miles. Then its' Route 1 through Wiscasset and Bath to Boothbay. Forty-five minutes on a good day, forever if you have a slow moving vehicle in front of you, not an uncommon occurrence, or, worse, an accident.

Gee, they must have rerouted 295 in the last couple of weeks. Closest it comes to Boothbay is Brunswick/Topsham, slightly more than 30 miles. Then its' Route 1 through Wiscasset and Bath to Boothbay. Forty-five minutes on a good day, forever if you have a slow moving vehicle in front of you, not an uncommon occurrence, or, worse, an accident.
My God you are miserable. I've been to Booth Bay Harbor about 10 times or so including Fall Foliage and Labor Day Weekend, along with some other popular times. Check Google Maps for traffic and if it's crowded at Brunswick stay on 295 up to Richmond. From Brunswick WITHOUT traffic is about 45 minutes, but it a nice drive. From Richmond it's about 35 minutes but it's a nicer drive. This is a mini vacation to see Maine. So what if you have to add 15 minutes or so to your trip. Now if I have to add 15 minutes to my 4 minute trip to the mini-mart that's a different story. But adding 15 minutes to a 10 hour trip??

Bray's Brewpub near Naples, ME has great homemade beer and very good food. Good live entertainment if you're into bluegrass, folk, blues, the Grateful Dead. Very local crowd. I can't say enough about the beer.
Fore Street obviously
Mount Washington is about 1.5 hours from Portland. You can take a train (i think) to the top (maybe drive). I hiked it. It is a serious hike for a novice, so be careful and plan ahead if you hike. There are outlets in North Conway (near Mt Wash) as well.
Ogunquit is a preferable beach stop.
There are small old school roadside motels along the way from Portland northward. These are mom and pop motels, but they are clean and good for an over night stop.
Moose rut will start very soon (or has) - be careful if you spend a lot of time scenic-driving.

Even if you take 95 or 295 you still need to take Route 1 through Bath, Brunswick etc. to get to BBH. Depending on the time of day, Route 1 will be backed up for a while going into Wiscasset.
I rode down RT 1 from Belfast to Brunswick yesterday on my way back from Nova Scotia- there was very little traffic the whole way. There were even seats at the counter at Moody's.

My God you are miserable. I've been to Booth Bay Harbor about 10 times or so including Fall Foliage and Labor Day Weekend, along with some other popular times. Check Google Maps for traffic and if it's crowded at Brunswick stay on 295 up to Richmond. From Brunswick WITHOUT traffic is about 45 minutes, but it a nice drive. From Richmond it's about 35 minutes but it's a nicer drive. This is a mini vacation to see Maine. So what if you have to add 15 minutes or so to your trip. Now if I have to add 15 minutes to my 4 minute trip to the mini-mart that's a different story. But adding 15 minutes to a 10 hour trip??

I'm "miserable" because I'm warning someone about traffic? **** off.

Art & Everyone,

Thanks for the help with this.

Trip is coming up next week and I have several spots lined up, including Nosh in Portland and Joseph's in Old Orchard Beach. Also doing a guided "Land & Sea" tour from Portland Discovery Tours to get us acclimated to the area early in the trip. The one thing I'm missing is this though:

The wife really is "in" to seeing the coastline, preferably rocky, and having a cup of coffee overlooking it. Are there any coffee shops, dessert shops, cafes, restaurants, etc. that would be open this time of year and offer that type of view/atmosphere?

Last edited:
try Camden it is the epitome of a new England costal town.
If you can jigger some extra time Acadia National Park is worth the extra journey. Stick to the interstate if go

Agree with Camden. Several really wonderful B&B's there, and if you're up for something a bit more rustic, check out Point Lookout just up the coast from Camden. There are several cabins on the property that are quite luxurious. I'm a bit partial though, I was part of the design team that designed the place ;).

http://www.visitpointlookout.com/index.shtml

Agree with Camden. Several really wonderful B&B's there, and if you're up for something a bit more rustic, check out Point Lookout just up the coast from Camden. There are several cabins on the property that are quite luxurious. I'm a bit partial though, I was part of the design team that designed the place ;).

http://www.visitpointlookout.com/index.shtml

Thanks for the tip--looks very nice.

Also looking for great dessert/bakery spots, primarily in the Portland/Brunswick/Freeport areas if anyone knows of any.

York Harbor Inn...stayed/ate there multiple times and never disappointed.

http://www.yorkharborinn.com/

A quick drive from the famous and often photographed York Harbor Nubble Lighthouse...
york-harbor-nubble-lighthouse-freda-sbordoni.jpg

Thanks for the tip--looks very nice.

Also looking for great dessert/bakery spots, primarily in the Portland/Brunswick/Freeport areas if anyone knows of any.

I'm much more familiar with the Mid-Coast. If you venture just a bit up route 1 from Brunswick you hit the town on Wiscassett. There is a bakery there called Treats that is good. It's not on the water, however.

When in Portland, check out the Casco Bay Lines. We took the sunset cruise thru the bay, about 2.5 hrs long. They offer others including the mail run.

Favorite restaurants were Fore Street, Eventide and Duckfat.

Make sure you check out the Weapons of Mass Destruction exhibit at Bush Mansion. Sorry, I couldn't resist, and I'm a conservative.

Becky's Diner on the waterfront in Portland for breakfast. Rub elbows with the locals and fill up.

Highly recommend Acadia National Park if time permits. Even better is the "other" part of Acadia, the Schoodic Peninsula -- enter there about an hour's drive north of the Bar Harbor portion of the park.

schoodic-1758.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT