ADVERTISEMENT

Omari Evans

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Why all the love on portal WRs with no mention of Omari. He owns 2 of Drew's longest completions. He also threw a good block on the MSU game.
Is the WR coach in love with practice warriors who can not bring to game day? Did any wr get better this year under his coaching? Do you want to recruit great wrs? Get a coach who can develop talent like PSU does LBs. Recruiting is waaaaay overrated if you can not coach.

Reactions: aworsnup
Omari may be one of the fastest players on the team. A WR who can can down field, get separation and make the big play, something we have be missing for a while. I too, was waiting for him to breakout and be in the starting rotation; this may have happened for next year.

yep. true sophomore. only had 4 receptions this season but averaged 23.5 YPC.

When CJF talks about needing to work on "consistency" at the WR position, I always think he is talking about Omari. I don't know why but he's a talented kid that isn't getting a lot of playing time.

Division II is full of WRs with straight line speed and the single skill of running past slightly slower DBs.
Does Evans have separation skills and other necessary attributes to become a receiving threat at PSU’s level? Perhaps. But they didn’t show this season when those playing ahead of him were less than stellar.

Omari sort of reminds me of Butch Johnson for the Cowboys. Had the speed to blow the doors off the CB's but couldn't break the starting lineup of Tony Hill and Drew Pearson. Seemed like every time Butch came into the game he got open for a 30-40 yard bomb or a TD. He eventually went to the Broncos where he finished his career IIRC.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Omari sort of reminds me of Butch Johnson for the Cowboys. Had the speed to blow the doors off the CB's but couldn't break the starting lineup of Tony Hill and Drew Pearson. Seemed like every time Butch came into the game he got open for a 30-40 yard bomb or a TD. He eventually went to the Broncos where he finished his career IIRC.
I had a business colleague who played CB for the Saints for 3-4 years and he called Butch Johnson the most physically gifted receiver that he ever covered. He told me that could have been an Olympic level 100 meter, long jump or triple jump athlete.

He did tell me that he did not run all the plays well and seemed to screw up a lot.

Reactions: NedFromYork
yep. true sophomore. only had 4 receptions this season but averaged 23.5 YPC.

When CJF talks about needing to work on "consistency" at the WR position, I always think he is talking about Omari. I don't know why but he's a talented kid that isn't getting a lot of playing time.
If that is true, coach can't tell practice warriors from game performers. I suspect that it is his "great recruiter" coach. No one improves sitting on the bench. I won't be surprised if he portals. He was ignored this year.

I certainly hope Omari stays since the WR's were had starting this year were "sleep walking" half the time. The only patterns they ran when we needed yardage were straight down the sidelines where they were blanketed by the CB's. McClain (sp) should have been busting over the middle and running slants with that bi body he has, but he did absolutely nothing. Had high hopes for Lambert-Smith this year but he was MIA half the time.

Time for Omari and Saunders to see some serious playing time if 2024.

He can stay but he has to earn it all over again because that room is getting a stick of dynamite thrown on it come December.

Don't believe that would be a problem since there is no starting WR we had this year that we "can't do without." Fix the WR problem and this team could be really good. Stay the same and we are given losses to UM and PSU year after year.

Omari was unable to play or practice for two long stretches this season. He also did not play WR in highschool. So, consistency has been a bit difficult to develope. His lazy first year position coach did jack squat.

Omari has great cutting ability...and speed but needs reps to add wr finessing skills and body positioning skills. Playing time is what he needs the most.

Last edited:
If we get Marion and he takes Kevin White with him to Penn State...look the **** out! That would go a LONG WAY towards solving the problem.

Omari was unable to play or practice for two long stretches this season. He also did not play WR in highschool. So, consistency has been a bit difficult to develope. His lazy first year position coach did jack squat.

Omari has great cutting ability...and speed but needs reps to add wr finessing skills and body positioning skills. Playing time is what he needs the most.
Can he redshirt this year? He dose flash- like to see him put it all together over the next two years.

Last edited:
Can he redshirt this year? He dose flash- like to see him put all together over the next two years.
Not sure. He was injured then spent time in the hospital for severe dehydration consequences of the flu that hit the team mid season... not sure.

Reactions: psuno1
Why all the love on portal WRs with no mention of Omari. He owns 2 of Drew's longest completions. He also threw a good block on the MSU game.
Is the WR coach in love with practice warriors who can not bring to game day? Did any wr get better this year under his coaching? Do you want to recruit great wrs? Get a coach who can develop talent like PSU does LBs. Recruiting is waaaaay overrated if you can not coach.

Ohio State seems to do a great job finding WRs who are ready day one. So does Oregon and USC. Recruiting via the portal is a fast and reliable way to become an explosive offense.

Bringing in project players and hoping an assistant coach can turn them into an all-America receiver, is a high risk, time-consuming, and low return proposition.

Penn State needs more KJ Hamler difference makers who are ready day one. Forget the 3 star projects who are typically slow possession-type guys. That model has failed Penn State and is part of the reason for the anemic offense.

Reactions: mnuccio2
Ohio State seems to do a great job finding WRs who are ready day one. So does Oregon and USC. Recruiting via the portal is a fast and reliable way to become an explosive offense.

Bringing in project players and hoping an assistant coach can turn them into an all-America receiver, is a high risk, time-consuming, and low return proposition.

Penn State needs more KJ Hamler difference makers who are ready day one. Forget the 3 star projects who are typically slow possession-type guys. That model has failed Penn State and is part of the reason for the anemic offense.

Huh? Kj hamler was ready on day 1 of year 2. He redshirted.

2. OSU gets a lot of 5* receivers. Maybe we should just sign 5* and forget the 3*s. Sarcasm.

2. OSU gets a lot of 5* receivers. Maybe we should just sign 5* and forget the 3*s. Sarcasm.
This ^^^^.

PSU has a roster loaded with 4 Star recruits.

KJ Hamler was...a 3 Star

As a Prospect​

247SPORTS​

View recruiting profile

So, there goes that theory.

Last edited:

KJ Hamler redshirted because he was recovering from a High School related injury. He was not redshirted for development purposes. Also, you don’t have to be a 5 star to be ready day one. Oregon’s 2 starters at WR were not 5 star players. Another example is David Bell who was a former stud WR for Purdue on day one. Bell was not a 5 star player. Rondale Moore was a 3 star who tore up the B1G in his first year at Purdue. He was ready day one!

3 star WRs can be ready day one. Most 3 star projects, will not be ready day one.

Last edited:
I miss seeing him in navy blue and white. He was a lot of fun to watch. Fast, and caught everything in his vicinity.

KJ’s most memorable performances were against big boy programs Ohio State and Michigan.

The current Penn State WRs were mostly invisible and locked down by Ohio State and Michigan.

Reactions: rcy4499
KJ Hamler redshirted because he was recovering from a High School related injury. He was not redshirted for development purposes. Also, you don’t have to be a 5 star to be ready day one. Oregon’s 2 starters at WR were not 5 star players. Another example is David Bell who was a former stud WR for Purdue on day one. Bell was not a 5 star player. Rondale Moore was a 3 star who tore up the B1G in his first year at Purdue. He was ready day one!

3 star WRs can be ready day one. Most 3 star projects, will not be ready day one.
We tried like hell to get David Bell. You can’t always get what you want.

Reactions: rcy4499 and blair10
We tried like hell to get David Bell. You can’t always get what you want.

I agree with you. Every team misses on players by either misevaluations or failure to sign a coveted recruit. My primary criticism against Penn State’s WR recruiting is the high failure rate and player misevaluations.

Penn State does not have a single WR who is a difference maker. Not one. The recruiting failure rate at WR is astronomically high for a power 5 program like Penn State.

Reactions: scrivener

Keep changing your arguments...he was a 3 star... Perhaps you would like a bunch more can't miss ready for primetime Justin Shorters. 😂

Last edited:
Keep changing your arguments...he was a 3 star... Perhaps you beere happier with Justin Shorter. 😂

Not changing my argument at all. Go back and read my post carefully. I specifically included the word “project” which adequately describes what Penn State has an abundance of in the WR room.

Not changing my argument at all. Go back and read my post carefully. I specifically included the word “project” which adequately describes what Penn State has an abundance of in the WR room.
So a guy with a severe injury which needs rehab for over a year and is an undersized 3 star.. is not a project! Bwahaha...

Probably not a risk and sure fire step in and start guy. How has his health been in the NFL?

I love the guy but you arguments are as solid as Mercury at 75° F.

So a guy with a severe injury which needs rehab for over a year and is an undersized 3 star.. is not a project! Bwahaha...

Probably not a risk and sure fire step in and start guy. How has his health been in the NFL?

I love the guy but you arguments are as solid as Mercury at 75° F.

Obviously, you have a major reading comprehension problem. Let me spell things out just for you.

- Penn State needs WR difference makers (not projects)
- Star designations do not determine whether or not a player is ready day one.
- KJ Hamler was a stud WR the moment he was physically able to play which was day one after his injury related redshirt year. He was not a project!
- Bell and Moore are examples of day one ready star WRs who played at Purdue and neither was a 5 star recruit.

Bottom line:

- It is possible to find WRs who are not 5 stars and who can be stars day one of their career.

Hope you can comprehend this basic English summary.

Reactions: scrivener
Obviously, you have a major reading comprehension problem. Let me spell things out just for you.

- KJ Hamler was a stud WR the moment he was physically able to play which was day one after his injury related redshirt year. He was not a project!
- Bell and Moore are examples of day one ready star WRs who played at Purdue and neither was a 5 star recruit.

Bottom line:

- It is possible to find WRs who are not 5 stars and who can be stars day one of their career.

Bell was close to a 5*.

Give us a list of day 1 difference makers who are interested in psu.

Bell was close to a 5*.

Give us a list of day 1 difference makers who are interested in psu.

There is no such thing as “close” to a 5 star. It’s binary, you either are a 5 star or you are not a 5 star.
Rivals rated Bell as a 4 star player.

The list of available difference maker WRs will not be known until players submit their names to the portal. There will be many opportunities to get some good WR talent. The burden is on the Penn State staff to recruit them and convince them to come to Penn State.

I am not greedy. If Penn State can get just one star WR from the portal, that will be a huge first step in improving the WR room.

Good coaching and player development attracts 5 star taIent.
Once we have a reputation like developing NFL linebackers, etc, it is easier to attract top talent..

Bottom line:

No you have a reason issue. Any Jack O can make up his own definition of a difference maker... You are in fact a difference maker. You have the skill to turn reason into babble and measurables into chaos and your significant babble into fluid but worthless BS masquerading as something comprehensible.

But Penn State needs production.

As long as PSU keeps chasing WR's rated #70 to 100, and OSU keeps landing WR's rated #1, 3, 10, etc. we will never catch up to them. We landed Johnson #6 a few years back, and Shorter #3. Both transferred and are in the NFL. Those two transfers, especially Shorter, hurt our WR recruiting Big Time!

I agree with you. Every team misses on players by either misevaluations or failure to sign a coveted recruit. My primary criticism against Penn State’s WR recruiting is the high failure rate and player misevaluations.

Penn State does not have a single WR who is a difference maker. Not one. The recruiting failure rate at WR is astronomically high for a power 5 program like Penn State.
Exactly! Gerald Parker and Stubbs missed out on some high-end recruits. It is the reason Stubbs got fired. Give the new Coach Hagens some time to get his recruits and remake the WR room. The portal changes so much.

Exactly! Gerald Parker and Stubbs missed out on some high-end recruits. It is the reason Stubbs got fired. Give the new Coach Hagens some time to get his recruits and remake the WR room. The portal changes so much.
As a manager, you can never give new hires an excuse not to properly develope and use the talent you have. I don't know if it the way Yurcich used them or the way they were coached. I suspect both were ineffective. The WRs were mismanaged this year, period. The morale of the WR room is the responsibility of their coach. Time for KISS. Find a limited array of plays you execute very well and use them. I hope the new OC simplifies the playbook so kids can play with more confidence.

IMO, When we start in 2024 showing that we are no longer afraid to throw the ball down the field, specifically in the Middle of the field , we will get the true difference makers like KJ, Godwin, and Jahan that is desperately needed in order to achieve our goal of winning a National Championship.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
As long as PSU keeps chasing WR's rated #70 to 100, and OSU keeps landing WR's rated #1, 3, 10, etc. we will never catch up to them. We landed Johnson #6 a few years back, and Shorter #3. Both transferred and are in the NFL. Those two transfers, especially Shorter, hurt our WR recruiting Big Time!
Idiotic post. Penn State tried like hell to get Harrison, Fleming and other highly rated WRs to come here.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT