ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics News

The usual olympic venue decay was sad enough—but think of all the places that were built recently that may never have a crowd in them. I for one am in favor of the Olympics staying in the same city perennially. Athens and Geneva maybe?

The usual olympic venue decay was sad enough—but think of all the places that were built recently that may never have a crowd in them. I for one am in favor of the Olympics staying in the same city perennially. Athens and Geneva maybe?
Completely agree. I think it would add to the mystique, especially if it's Athens. Every 4 years the greatest athletes in the world descend on the ancient city.

Yeah, but that would stop the corruption train, so you can see why this would be a nonstarter for the IOC. Great idea in theory though.
The Tokyo Olympic organizers must be losing some significant bacon on this deal. Maybe that slows down the future corruption train….but probably not.

Completely agree. I think it would add to the mystique, especially if it's Athens. Every 4 years the greatest athletes in the world descend on the ancient city.
May be the only way that the host city doesn’t lose its ass financially by hosting the olympics.

Host cities don't seem to mind being burned because the elected officials who got wined and dined are typically long gone by the time the check comes due.
Olympic infrastructure typically is a massive wealth transfer from outlying areas to one city.

Host cities get burned some but not nearly as bad as one would think, due to heavy state/national subsidies. (Plus they jack up tourist-type taxes -- hotels, restaurants, etc. -- knowing that the Olympics are a captive event.)

People in other parts of the state/country are the ones who really get soaked. They pay taxes, often for many years afterward, with zero benefit.

Anyone know when the US wrestlers head to Tokyo? The Olympics start in 2 weeks. Opening ceremony, Friday, July 23rd. Athletes will likely need a week or maybe 10 days to get acclimated, even though wrestling doesn't start until August 1st.

Anyone know when the US wrestlers head to Tokyo? The Olympics start in 2 weeks. Opening ceremony, Friday, July 23rd. Athletes will likely need a week or maybe 10 days to get acclimated, even though wrestling doesn't start until August 1st.

Looks like DT is packing

Reactions: danoftw
god damn mother****ing olympic games, boys.

MILO OF CROTON

BC... THIS IS WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT. BC.

Sorry, I'm in Iowa. Can't help but be a little fired up about the Games and wrestling.

Here's one of those "wtf" kinda questions. How is it that the United States of America didn't qualify a 3 on 3 basketball team? Another one, with all the dumb sports they've added, how is it that the Olympics cant add dodgeball?

because the best player on the USA 3on3 team was robbie hummel

Here's one of those "wtf" kinda questions. How is it that the United States of America didn't qualify a 3 on 3 basketball team? Another one, with all the dumb sports they've added, how is it that the Olympics cant add dodgeball?

JTS, that just reduces the chance that the USA 3 on 3 team goes to overtime and interrupts wrestling action 😄

god damn mother****ing olympic games, boys.

MILO OF CROTON

BC... THIS IS WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT. BC.

Sorry, I'm in Iowa. Can't help but be a little fired up about the Games and wrestling.
You know, if you’re that passionate about events named “Games”, the CrossFit Games are coming up not far away from you in Madison!

They need to be in America, if not every time, then every other time.

How is Micic the 1 seed?

Seedings are based on points earned by competing and placing at UWW Ranking Series events.

Here's a listing of (I think) the most current rankings, which are used as seeding.

I'm sure there's an explanation of exactly how the points are accumulated somewhere, but UWW doesn't have the most user-friendly website in the world. Nor is it the most up to date website, considering it has Joey McKenna as the top ranked 65 kg (but down at 39 on the PDF linked above).

Looks like DT is packing
giphy.gif

Turner Classic Movie channel (TCM) is currently showing a series of shows about past and recent Olympics. Includes some wrestling as well as numerous other sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT