ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics News

Olympic infrastructure typically is a massive wealth transfer from outlying areas to one city.

Host cities get burned some but not nearly as bad as one would think, due to heavy state/national subsidies. (Plus they jack up tourist-type taxes -- hotels, restaurants, etc. -- knowing that the Olympics are a captive event.)

People in other parts of the state/country are the ones who really get soaked. They pay taxes, often for many years afterward, with zero benefit.
Kinda like what happened in Pennsylvania when State funds were used to build The Linc and Heinz Field. Pro Sports ownership should be primary investors/debtors on the facilities they play in. A great example would be what the SF Giants had to do. 3 times San Francisco voted on public financing for stadium and it was nixed. Giant ownership ended up taking the risk with a 17 year mortgage. It worked out fine.

There’s already been an Olympian kicked out of the Olympics after a positive test. Despite taking the vaccine.
Hope this works out but this could turn to shit quickly.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Tokyo’s Olympic organizer won’t rule out cancellation, yikes 😳 😬 😱

Uh, why?

Safety protocols in place. No fans on the stands, young healthy atheletes from all over the world, most already there.

If you test positive you can't compete, tragic, but that's the reality. Even if there was 50% attrition, the remaining atheletes deserve a shot at their lifetime dream.

Sad. For many of the world's best, the olympics represent a single point in time where they can compete only then at the very highest level. 3 years from now has no guarantees.

Uh, why?

Safety protocols in place. No fans on the stands, young healthy atheletes from all over the world, most already there.

If you test positive you can't compete, tragic, but that's the reality. Even if there was 50% attrition, the remaining atheletes deserve a shot at their lifetime dream.

Sad. For many of the world's best, the olympics represent a single point in time where they can compete only then at the very highest level. 3 years from now has no guarantees.
Cancellation wouldn't be because of infection among the athletes; it would be because of the risk of infection to the local population and the risk of spreading infection back to the athletes' home countries. People can be infectious for a few days before testing positive, so the whole testing protocol is a bit disingenuous (how else would there be anyone testing positive already?).

I don’t expect to choke PJ Carlesimo. But I’m not going to publicly rule it out, either. Why tie my own hands when I don’t have to? PJ might come at me with a knife, one day. I’m not an insurance company.
:)

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I listened to a pod cast today that cited in Brazil the Olympic committee gave out >450k free condoms.

That's a lot of sumptin sumptin going on.....
Ha! The Tokyo organizers are using sex-proof beds that collapse upon sex-detection. Bad idea! First, every athlete is now double-dog-dared to try to collapse the bed. Second, you just know some athletes are going to get concussions when their beds collapse. How you say class action in Japanese? :)

Ha! The Tokyo organizers are using sex-proof beds that collapse upon sex-detection. Bad idea! First, every athlete is now double-dog-dared to try to collapse the bed. Second, you just know some athletes are going to get concussions when their beds collapse. How you say class action in Japanese? :)
The beds are cardboard.

The athletes will take approximately 5 seconds to figure out that they can put the mattresses directly on the floor, and toss the cardboard.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Not true. The beds are designed to hold 200kg (that's 440 Freedom units), and to be recycled afterwards. Nothing to do with sex.

Not true. The beds are designed to hold 200kg (that's 440 Freedom units), and to be recycled afterwards. Nothing to do with sex.
Phew. So only the American-Samoa athletes need to worry! ;) :)

On the other hand, if we’ve learned anything from the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, it’s that static numbers don’t tell the whole story under dynamic load! :)

Phew. So only the American-Samoa athletes need to worry! ;) :)

On the other hand, if we’ve learned anything from the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, it’s that static numbers don’t tell the whole story under dynamic load! :)
The lesson learned is do not use the rhythm method.

giphy.gif

Since when have gymnasts and pole vaulters needed beds?

When I first saw this, I thought this was a fancy name for Sarah's amazing slide-by, while being heckled by the Maryland guy....

That lure looks good though--I'll have to add a few to the tackle box.
Many years ago a friend and I hiked down into the Yough River below Ohiopyle to fish. Before I barely had a line in the water my buddy had caught a trout, a walleye. and a bass casting the same silver Flicker Spinner. Another friend has used them for crappie, just casting and letting them sink down. They're hard to find, but good to have in the tackle box.

When I first saw this, I thought this was a fancy name for Sarah's amazing slide-by, while being heckled by the Maryland guy....

That lure looks good though--I'll have to add a few to the tackle box.
Tony is alluding to the random luck aspect of wrestling photography, given how photographers are mostly locked in one spot and there's no way to predict whether yours will be the optimal spot, since the action happens inside a circle and the key moment of the match may happen with the wrestlers' backs facing you. It's a good idea, if you even have a choice in the matter, to be facing the coaches' corner of the wrestler you're shooting because it leaves open the chance of getting the coaches' reactions to the match in the foreground.

ADVERTISEMENT