74kg Jason Nolf vs Alex Marinelli

P1:
2.5 min left
Nolf gets a step out 1-0
Marinelli with a shot, Nolf Counters & gets the TD 3-1
Nolf adds a turn 5-0 & another turn 7-0
Back to center
Tying up, Marinelli pushing forward, Nolf looking for an opening
Marinelli snaps, gets to an ankle, gets it in the air, but Nolf fights out of it
30-sec left
Tying up, Marinelli pushing forward a little
Marinelli half duck attempt, nothing
Period ends 7-0 Nolf

Bo Nickal in Nolf's corner

P2:
Nolf shoots, nothing
Nolf shoots again, Marinelli sprawls out
Marinelli pushing forward more, but not doing much
2-min left
Marinelli drives Nolf out, but no scoring, restart
Tying up, Nolf half shot, nothing, Marinelli reaches for a leg, nothing
Nolf shoots, Marinelli fights him off
Marinelli pushes Nolf out on the edge for a point 7-1
Nolf starts on his belly in the center, but I don't know why. Lol.
Marinelli trying to turn, but no dice, restart in neutral
1-min left
Marinelli moving forward, trying some shots, but no luck.
Nolf backing circling, & taking a half shot now & then.
30-sec left
Marinelli gets another point for something 7-2
Restart & time expires

Jason Nolf DEC Alex Marinelli 7-2

Last edited:
I can’t believe how good Mirasola is. 11-5 against AB is a pretty incredible result for a high school kid. AB just might be the 2nd or 3rd best 86kg guy in the world and Mirasola actually took him down which no one did the entire NCAA season

Jacques having himself a tourney. Beat Cenzo and Monday back to back. Pretty sure his run will stop with Nolf however

Reactions: goldenanimal
First time back at 74kg looking rough for Nolf. Gonna benefit from the fact his half of the bracket if pretty soft.

That version of JB is not beating Mitchell imo
Probably not but Mitch, in the words of Bob Seger, is young and wreckless and bold. Whereas JB has seen it all and is the wise old fox. I would not be surprised at all if Much dog himself a hole early as the old fox counters less than perfect shots several times. The second period should be Mitch's to come back, but seeing Mitch still down with a minute to go won't surprise me.

How did the Facundo vs Burroughs match look? I missed it but seems like Alex wrestled him well?

Probably not but Mitch, in the words of Bob Seger, is young and wreckless and bold. Whereas JB has seen it all and is the wise old fox. I would not be surprised at all if Much dog himself a hole early as the old fox counters less than perfect shots several times. The second period should be Mitch's to come back, but seeing Mitch still down with a minute to go won't surprise me.
Yeah I think Burroughs is a horrible matchup for MM. Could break open/win early with counter shots

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Round 2 Results:
57kg- Luke Lillendahl DEC Daniel DeShazier 3-2
65kg- Nick Lee DEC Alec Pantaleo 9-2
65kg- Andrew Alirez DEC Beau Bartlett 6-2
74kg- Jordan Burroughs DEC Alex Facundo 5-3
74kg- Mitchell Mesenbrink TECH Ladarion Lockett 13-3
74kg- Jason Nolf DEC Alex Marinelli 7-2
86kg- Trent Hidlay DEC Carter Starocci 6-4
86kg- Aaron Brooks WINS Connor Mirasola 11-5

I missed Burroughs vs. Facundo, but there should be some PBP for the rest of the matches.

Starocci undersized and a bum knee was basically even in Free with Trent (his less good style) AB has underrated Trent but he was his own Tier (2 behind AB who was Tier 1) at 197. Add good weight and Carter rules 197 next year.

Round 2 Results:
57kg- Lillendahl DEC DeShazier 3-2
65kg- Nick Lee DEC Alec Pantaleo 9-2
65kg- Alirez DEC Bartlett 6-2
74kg- Jordan Burroughs DEC Alex Facundo 5-3
74kg- Mitchell Mesenbrink TECS Ladarion Lockett 13-3
74kg- Jason Nolf DEC Alex Marinelli 7-2
86kg- Trent Hidlay DEC Carter Starocci 6-4
86kg- Aaron Brooks WINS Connor Mirasola 11-5

Reactions: ccdiver
How did the Facundo vs Burroughs match look? I missed it but seems like Alex wrestled him well?
Looked like Burroughs stepped out but they ruled he didn’t and then Fucundo did moments later. Challenge. Ruling was JB’s foot wasn’t entirely out. One point for JB for the step out and another for the lost challenge. Ending score was 5-3. It was that close. Alex has looked fantastic.

Starocci undersized and a bum knee was basically even in Free with Trent (his less good style) AB has underrated Trent but he was his own Tier (2 behind AB who was Tier 1) at 197. Add good weight and Carter rules 197 next year.
Exactly. Carter still on one leg was only about to bulk for a few weeks. Give him 8 months and a healed leg and 197 is his comfortably

For anyone who isn't aware. You can watch for free on the NBC website if you have a provider. Go to this link, scroll down a bit and select Olympic Team Trials. After it opens look for the bar above the mats with the word "provider". Enter your login info and you'll be on.

Note, mats will be flashing if you don't enter your provider.

Reactions: nikko57
Looked like Burroughs stepped out but they ruled he didn’t and then Fucundo did moments later. Challenge. Ruling was JB’s foot wasn’t entirely out. One point for JB for the step out and another for the lost challenge. Ending score was 5-3. It was that close. Alex has looked fantastic.
I feel like if Mesenbrink can be calculated with his insanity he might have a chance.

It is tough to see carter lose a match that he wrestled in. I thought he was none too happy. He looked downright pissed he lost. He is an alpha competitor for sure.

For championship side….do we see the wrestlers still in the hunt wrestle during this session. Or they wrestle tonight

The match with Nyla Valencia is a microcosm of why folkstyle is better than freestyle. Get a lace and roll around a little and it's over in 20 seconds without putting your opponent even slightly in danger. That just sucks. It's a terrible rule that ruins the match when it happens like that.

Reactions: Ski and KCLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT