ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

The match with Nyla Valencia is a microcosm of why folkstyle is better than freestyle. Get a lace and roll around a little and it's over in 20 seconds without putting your opponent even slightly in danger. That just sucks. It's a terrible rule that ruins the match when it happens like that.
If they were laced, isn't that being put in a dangerous, compromising situation? Yes, it can be disappointing to get laced and have it be over so quick, but that happens. Don't get shot on and laced. Why are people so angsty over the different styles of wrestling?

Reactions: ZepGraffiti
If they were laced, isn't that being put in a dangerous, compromising situation? Yes, it can be disappointing to get laced and have it be over so quick, but that happens. Don't get shot on and laced. Why are people so angsty over the different styles of wrestling?
No, not really. They just roll around and her shoulders are never more than 45* to the mat or closer than like a foot and a half from the mat itself. That's not danger. It makes the sport a joke that that's a 20 second technical fall.

Reactions: Ski and KCLion
For anyone who isn't aware. You can watch for free on the NBC website if you have a provider. Go to this link, scroll down a bit and select Olympic Team Trials. After it opens look for the bar above the mats with the word "provider". Enter your login info and you'll be on.

Note, mats will be flashing if you don't enter your provider.

Thank you! Yep, it's free on the NBC Sports app, with a provider login. No need to buy Peacock

Exactly. Carter still on one leg was only about to bulk for a few weeks. Give him 8 months and a healed leg and 197 is his comfortably
I think it's worse than that. I think he pulled the plug on dropping down less than 2 weeks ago. He has no time to really bulk up after just returning to his natural weight. A terrible miscalculation.

I am not a fan at all of big weight cuts when you're are going against the nation's/world's very best.

It got Vito already, I think Spencer will win due partially to Fix and Gillman having cuts. James Green had his issues. Retherford has me worried that we will see far from his best.

We will see how it plays out but I will bet the big cutters have less than a 50% win loss record, and we will be lucky to see any qualify :(

Last edited:
The match with Nyla Valencia is a microcosm of why folkstyle is better than freestyle. Get a lace and roll around a little and it's over in 20 seconds without putting your opponent even slightly in danger. That just sucks. It's a terrible rule that ruins the match when it happens like that.
We just watched a full season of Lewan and Amine, and "scoring too quickly" makes freestyle inferior?

I think it's worse than that. I think he pulled the plug on dripping down only about 2 weeks ago. He has no time to really bulk up after just returning to his natural weight. A terrible miscalculation.

I am not a fan at all of big weight cuts when you're are going against the nation's/world's very best.

It got Vito already, I think Spencer will win due partially to Fix and Gillman having cuts. James Green had his issues. Retherford has me worried that we will see far from his best.

We will see how it plays out but I will bet the big cutters have less than a 50% win loss record, and we will be lucky to see any qualify :(
I mean. Cutting a ton of weight obviously isn’t ideal. But it’s not like anybody that has a weight cut is dead in the water. And all 3 of the guys you mention will have had several hours to refuel before competing.

Green is on the extreme end of things. As would be Carter.

Freestyle heck of a lot better than greco roman. Talk about pushing and shoving boredom as a spectator.

Reactions: Ski and vhsalum
I totally agree. Pinning somebody takes control, rolling them over a bunch of times can be lucky.

We just watched a full season of Lewan and Amine, and "scoring too quickly" makes freestyle inferior?
Not just scoring too quickly, scoring a tech fall in 20 seconds with one move without even putting the opponent in any real danger. If Mesenbrink gets a 20 second TF by plowing through 3 TDs with a turn, OK fine, that's great. The repeated danger scoring on laces when they're not even in danger just sucks.

I think it's worse than that. I think he pulled the plug on dripping down only about 2 weeks ago. He has no time to really bulk up after just returning to his natural weight. A terrible miscalculation.

Dake, Burroughs, and Nolf all wrestle 79 kg in non-Olympic years.

So this means Mesenbrink will beat all 3 of them and win Trials.

No "going for the gusto" on mat 4.
He's like bizarro man, 😂 dude has given takedowns to the wrong guy like every other match, and points fly by without any explanation. Then again we are all spoiled because the best wrestling announcer in the history of the sport we listen to, like, every single event. 😂

Reactions: creamery freak
I totally agree. Pinning somebody takes control, rolling them over a bunch of times can be lucky.
All they need to do is just limit the lace to one danger call for 2 points then you have to let it go. Just don't let someone end a match in an instant with supposed "technical superiority" on one move that doesn't even create any danger.

No, not really. They just roll around and her shoulders are never more than 45* to the mat or closer than like a foot and a half from the mat itself. That's not danger. It makes the sport a joke that that's a 20 second technical fall.
No it doesn't. Don't get laced.

I'd agree with you if this happened often at the Senior Mens level. But it doesn't. And when it does, it's just as exciting as a 10 second pin.

Not just scoring too quickly, scoring a tech fall in 20 seconds with one move without even putting the opponent in any real danger. If Mesenbrink gets a 20 second TF by plowing through 3 TDs with a turn, OK fine, that's great. The repeated danger scoring on laces when they're not even in danger just sucks.
I agree, there needs to be a limit on the number of scoring turns per exchange. I could make a case for either one or two, but more is just silly.

Alright, I disagree. Oh well.

Reactions: ZepGraffiti
To do that, there first has to be a takedown, right?

Which still beats Lewan and Amine.

125kg 2nd Round- Daniel Greg Kerkvliet vs. Christian Lance

The screen stopped flashing! Woohoo!
Cael & Varner in Kerk's corner

P1:
Here we go!
Tying up in the center. Both pushing into each other & break
Tying up again & looking for an opening by both
Kerk reaches for a leg, but nothing
Kerk snaps
Ref warns Lance for passivity
2-min left
Tying up, snaps & hand fighting in the center
Kerk shoots a double for the TD 2-0 and gets a turn for another two as they go out of bounds, 4-0, restart
Tying up, snapping & jockeying for position in the center of the mat
1-min left
Kerk pushing Lance to the edge & out of bounds, but no scoring, restart
Back to center, neutral, pushing & tying up
Kerk reaches for an ankle, gets it & works for the TD 6-0, restart
Time runs out
6-0 Kerk

P2:
Tying up, Kerk snaps, keeps working & gets a TD on the edge 8-0, restart
Lance half shot, nothing
Kerk in on a leg & gets the TD for the TECH 10-0

Daniel Greg Kerkvliet TECH Christian Lance 10-0