ADVERTISEMENT

Old Sports Novels

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
Beach day here in SW FL, well actually every day is a beach day, got to thinking about old sports books I loved, I've got Ball Four, North Dallas Forty and Dead Solid Perfect, all great but don't know how well they would hold up with the younger crowd. What else can you offer?

Reactions: Nitwit
"The House of Moses All-Stars" by former Continental Basketball Association coach Charley Rosen, a novel about a barnstorming basketball team during The Depression.

Beach day here in SW FL, well actually every day is a beach day, got to thinking about old sports books I loved, I've got Ball Four, North Dallas Forty and Dead Solid Perfect, all great but don't know how well they would hold up with the younger crowd. What else can you offer?

Where are you from originally?

Semi Tough.

Reactions: LionJim and Bob78

This is nonfiction but sports related: “Carlisle vs Army.” It was about Jim Thorpe, Pop Warner (Thorpe’s coach) and Army (incl Eisenhower). One of my top 10 favorite books and I am a voracious reader.

Were about to relocate to the Tarpon Springs area
About 4 hours from us, we are in Naples. From what i understand you are moving to a very nice area. As Rudyard Kipling would say "many good lucks" with your move.

The Natural by Bernard Malamud- much better than the movie which made major changes to the story in order to Hollowoodize it

While they are relatively new, I really enjoyed The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbac, a really well written novel about a DivIII baseball team and Beartown by Fredrik Backman, about a small Swedish town that pins their hopes and dreams on their junior hockey team.

Expanding the topic to sports books made into movies. Someone mentioned The Natural, great, great movie but pathetic watching Redford trying to swing a bat. Really liked the North Dallas Forty movie. Was an NFL fan though not Cowboys but it was so easy to match the movie character with the real life player, even more so in the book.

Reactions: LionJim
Chip Hilton books were the first books I read. Written by Claire Bee, a legendary basketball coach, I think.
Great books! Read them all - after my brother read them. Bee quit writing them because he felt that the morals and principles he wrote into them were no longer relevant - I’m sure I read that somewhere when researching him.

Great books! Read them all - after my brother read them. Bee quit writing them because he felt that the morals and principles he wrote into them were no longer relevant - I’m sure I read that somewhere when researching him.
What, a college All-American refusing a scholarship and working his way through school is no longer relevant? It never was. Chip was way too good to be true, but those books were great.

Fall river dreams about Chris Herren in HS is solid. He goes around as a public speaker telling his story and drugs. Good speaker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT