ADVERTISEMENT

OL recruiting ....

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
This years class is terrific (3 four stars, 1 three star),
last year's was pretty good (2 four star 2 three star)
the year before kind of OK. (3 three star) NOT good by PSU standards.

So, we are at least 2 years away from having talent and depth on the OL. We need to bring in 3-4 top OL EVERY year. Quantity and quality. We had that in the 90s.

I still think Franklin will get us there. Remember he was left with this OL :-(
I really don't know if they can be better.
I do think, if he can, they will roll out Hack more in the future.

So, we are at least 2 years away from having talent and depth on the OL. We need to bring in 3-4 top OL EVERY year. Quantity and quality. We had that in the 90s.

My Lord! Are you really that naive to believe it is solely the OL that is has hampered this offense? I don't care if we had 5 five star OL, CJF, Donovan and Hand would also mis-coach them to! Hack wasn't being sacked 10 times against Temple because the OL was that bad (although they are pretty bad). The plays that were called didn't give Hack enough time to do what they wanted. The blocking schemes couldn't accommodate for the stunts the Temple defense was using, and our coaching staff didn't do one single thing to counteract it. This wasn't solely a coaching breakdown, but it was every bit as much coaching incompetence as lack of talent skill sets! Things aren't just going to get better once the OLmen get more experience. They had an entire season (other than our JUCO transfer) to improve. Was this game against Temple an indication that they have improved? How can they look better when the coaches can't coach them to be better via a well thought out offensive scheme?

My Lord! Are you really that naive to believe it is solely the OL that is has hampered this offense? I don't care if we had 5 five star OL, CJF, Donovan and Hand would also mis-coach them to! Hack wasn't being sacked 10 times against Temple because the OL was that bad (although they are pretty bad). The plays that were called didn't give Hack enough time to do what they wanted. The blocking schemes couldn't accommodate for the stunts the Temple defense was using, and our coaching staff didn't do one single thing to counteract it. This wasn't solely a coaching breakdown, but it was every bit as much coaching incompetence as lack of talent skill sets!

Well, I really have no idea for sure. But this is the OC we had for the BC game. AND he was the OC for the OSU game where this line played pretty well (Smith was out). But, no Palmer.
Maybe I am naive, but what else is there?
They ONLY have one guy on the line that is a REAL starter. the others are career backups. Palmer looked like a turnstile.

AND, to be candid, I have no problem replacing the OC for next year. Hopefully, Franklin will figure this out. But for me this year is not going to be as good as we hoped. We will know a great deal more this Saturday.

Just trying to stay positive for the future.

It isn't the kids. It's the Chef coaching the kids. No number of group dinners can make up for incompetence.

For all we ragged on Bill Kenney for being a lazy recruiter, has anyone else noticed how well his OL is performing at Western Michigan. The WMU offense put 24 points on MSU. I don't think we could do that.

Its been beaten around quite a bit already, but:

WE ARE.....right now......a carbon copy of where Michigan was - wrt the offensive line situation - in 2012.
Nearly identical situations.

Three years later - 2015 - I was just listening to some B1G Network talking heads talking about how Michigan is still a year away from having their offensive line issues solved.

The same track puts PSU at that point (not quite all the way rebuilt) in 2018. I think we can do a little better than that, but their situation IS a legitimate comparative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT