ADVERTISEMENT

OL Development - can we get some Sunbelt coaches & recruits?

Nick is a difference maker, no doubt. His three for over 40 yards were the first time we’ve had a run over 40 yards in the last 23 games.
Wow...good stat. Really magnifies how down the run game has been.

Wow...good stat. Really magnifies how down the run game has been.

At least one of those runs, when he turned the corner, would have been stopped by a B1G defense. Ohio just doesn't have the same speed at the edge.

Not taking anything away from Singleton, he's a great back and may be the next Barkley. Love that he is with us. But I do think the same problems remain. We don't have the kind of line play up front to consistently open holes between the tackles. I'll make a speculative guess and say it's because they practice too much to block for an RPO.

We'll learn more next week.

At least one of those runs, when he turned the corner, would have been stopped by a B1G defense. Ohio just doesn't have the same speed at the edge.

Not taking anything away from Singleton, he's a great back and may be the next Barkley. Love that he is with us. But I do think the same problems remain. We don't have the kind of line play up front to consistently open holes between the tackles. I'll make a speculative guess and say it's because they practice too much to block for an RPO.

Exactly...but if u glance at this thread, u would think echoing this sentiment is idiotic and ridiculous. Next week will tell quite a bit more.

Reactions: KCLion
Next week will tell quite a bit more

Auburn is a pitfall game. They have talent, particularly on the DL, but they seem to be in disarray due to AD quiting before he was fired, boosters wanting Harsin gone, no true threat at QB, perhaps more.

If we beat Auburn, it's going to be tough to tell much about our team because they have 8+ win talent, but may severely underachieve.

From the running game standpoint, we need to be able to run on them when 6 and 7 are in the box and they aren't run blitzing. If they load up on the run and blitz, we need to bail on those calls and burn them with quick passes. You won't build an OLs skill nor confidence trying to run into the blitz on predictable run downs.

At the end of the game, I minimally want 125+ rushing. Not Clifford escape yards either. RBs.

If Singleton or Allen (or Lee, he disappeared Saturday after 1 touch) can rush for 100, that would be spectacular.

Reactions: bdgan and scrivener
Auburn is a pitfall game. They have talent, particularly on the DL, but they seem to be in disarray due to AD quiting before he was fired, boosters wanting Harsin gone, no true threat at QB, perhaps more.

If we beat Auburn, it's going to be tough to tell much about our team because they have 8+ win talent, but may severely underachieve.

From the running game standpoint, we need to be able to run on them when 6 and 7 are in the box and they aren't run blitzing. If they load up on the run and blitz, we need to bail on those calls and burn them with quick passes. You won't build an OLs skill nor confidence trying to run into the blitz on predictable run downs.

At the end of the game, I minimally want 125+ rushing. Not Clifford escape yards either. RBs.

If Singleton or Allen (or Lee, he disappeared Saturday after 1 touch) can rush for 100, that would be spectacular.
Purdue and Ohio should be seen as warmup games. Neither team has an above average defense. Which makes me somewhat concerned that we still don’t open running lanes.

I agree that Ohio doesn't have the team speed on D like the BIG. But Singleton still probably breaks a couple nice runs, just for not as many yards. The 70 yard run might be "only" 20 or 30.

I agree that Ohio doesn't have the team speed on D like the BIG. But Singleton still probably breaks a couple nice runs, just for not as many yards. The 70 yard run might be "only" 20 or 30.
I disagree, speed is speed. Barkley broke a lot of long TD’s against many teams including OSU, Michigan, and USC. If you’re really fast, you can outrun most anyone especially if they don’t have a good angle.

1000%..but some replies here indicate that it's this style or nothing...nobody wants to go back to the old I-formation style. But, having the ability to run, with our utilized scheme is critical...and for the most, we haven't been able to. Most people on here are just too myopic to see that.
We had a back run for 180 yards yesterday so easy on the "we can't run". Remember last year we could not run against Villanova or Ball State so using the Ohio excuse is fair in terms of finalizing how good we are but you can't ignore there is improvement. Maybe it is all due to the running backs are better this year. Well they are part of the run game (see below). Let's see how we do against Auburn.

We have not been in the situation where we have to run to grind out the clock but to the other poster's point even in that situation we don't have to run it every play. Safe percentage passes are an option, it is not always the halfback pitch or right tackle dive to run out clock. The game has evolved.

There are people on this board that would be unhappy if we beat Alabama for the national championship because we threw the ball on a crucial 3rd and 3 instead of running right at them so they whine about not being able to run. Yes, it is important to move people off the ball but it is not the end all be all people want to make it out to be. Furthermore, no one knows how good the O line will be this year. We ran well yesterday but yeah blah blah it was Ohio, it was all Singleton. Great, but the facts are the running stats look pretty good through 2 games so don't automatically assume we have a horrendous run game because it fits your narrative. Finally, part of a run game the last time I checked was a running back. Last year we had two plodders in Cain and Lee. Those guys could not hit a hole fast if their life depended on it. This year we have Singleton and Allen so that will help and has already helped the run game. So whether you like it or not even if the linemen may not have made the perfect block but the back still has a good gain it is a good thing for us. And don't give me this that the better Big10 programs like scUM, O$U and Sparty will totally shut our run game down because they will not let Singleton get loose or whatever. He is an elite back who can do damage to even the mighty Ohiya State defense. I'm not saying we will run all over them but look at this objectively and at least somewhat optimistically instead of constantly condemming the O-line and the run game.

We had a back run for 180 yards yesterday so easy on the "we can't run". Remember last year we could not run against Villanova or Ball State so using the Ohio excuse is fair in terms of finalizing how good we are but you can't ignore there is improvement. Maybe it is all due to the running backs are better this year. Well they are part of the run game (see below). Let's see how we do against Auburn.

We have not been in the situation where we have to run to grind out the clock but to the other poster's point even in that situation we don't have to run it every play. Safe percentage passes are an option, it is not always the halfback pitch or right tackle dive to run out clock. The game has evolved.

There are people on this board that would be unhappy if we beat Alabama for the national championship because we threw the ball on a crucial 3rd and 3 instead of running right at them so they whine about not being able to run. Yes, it is important to move people off the ball but it is not the end all be all people want to make it out to be. Furthermore, no one knows how good the O line will be this year. We ran well yesterday but yeah blah blah it was Ohio, it was all Singleton. Great, but the facts are the running stats look pretty good through 2 games so don't automatically assume we have a horrendous run game because it fits your narrative. Finally, part of a run game the last time I checked was a running back. Last year we had two plodders in Cain and Lee. Those guys could not hit a hole fast if their life depended on it. This year we have Singleton and Allen so that will help and has already helped the run game. So whether you like it or not even if the linemen may not have made the perfect block but the back still has a good gain it is a good thing for us. And don't give me this that the better Big10 programs like scUM, O$U and Sparty will totally shut our run game down because they will not let Singleton get loose or whatever. He is an elite back who can do damage to even the mighty Ohiya State defense. I'm not saying we will run all over them but look at this objectively and at least somewhat optimistically instead of constantly condemming the O-line and the run game.
Some have seen the explosions against lesser teams only and then have our hopes dashed.

Had Purdue had any semblance of a running game (I.e. one or two first downs in crunch time) we likely would have been toast. Their quick safe passing game just didn’t get it done and left us too much time.

How many games have we seen our 4th quarter leads dwindle and turn into losses because we couldn’t get a first down when we needed one. I guess living in Missouri the last nearly 30 years, has rubbed off on me and I won’t be comfortable until they “show me” they can control the end of a game when we have a lead against a quality opponent.

I disagree, speed is speed. Barkley broke a lot of long TD’s against many teams including OSU, Michigan, and USC. If you’re really fast, you can outrun most anyone especially if they don’t have a good angle.
True. Great news is that we get to find out in a month or so.

I have to admit that seeing Singleton and Allen on the field makes me much more optimistic about the season than prior to seeing them. I haven't been too impressed with the RBs in particular the last few seasons.

Reactions: AWS1022
Who cares what they were before? This is today, now, different jimmy's and joes.
Running the ball in modern college football is a sidelight. It is only employed to close games, not win them. Look at the last 15 national championships.. elite QB's. Nobody is winning games because they dominate the running stats, they win games because they have excellent skill players that produce explosive plays....Period.
Get out of the past. When Penn State won the B1G in 2016, with the most explosive offensive player in the conference since that time, they finished 7th in the conference in rushing....bottom half.
Running the ball barely matters anymore. It's why the value of the running back is so diminished in the NFL draft.
If Nebraska ran the ball like they used to they'd barely be any better.
Welcome to sports, it evolves.....all the time.
Stick to golf.

Reactions: manilion

Your first sentence makes it seem like I'm solely talking about this yr regarding the run game troubles..obviously last week was a great uptick. My premise is as an aggregate over the last couple yrs, it's obvious. Sorry for condemning the OL....I mean it's one of the highest rated positions (based on recruiting stars) the last few classes, and yet, arguably the most underachieving. Maybe you should view it objectively as well. I mean scUM held OSU to 64 yds rushing in 2021 and shut them down. Why do you dismiss them automatically in the tone which u did? Yes, this year looks like improvement has been made through the first two games. I do think it was discouraging that our RT (Wallace) didn't even make it through the first game without getting benched for Effner in crunch time. That's not a good sign. And, before you retort with, "JF said he wants to build depth and rotate guys," -- No coach plans to remove a starter the final drive of a game for a lightly used, undersized backup in Effner. Maybe we both should wait until we play Auburn which has a very athletic defense with SEC talent -- then we can truly tell.

Reactions: bdgan
No, that isn't a serious statement in the title. But how can 3 Sunbelt teams run the ball on Nebraska, TA&M and... ND while PSU can't run the ball consistently against Ohio U? I'm not trying to criticize, but what are they doing differently? Is our scheme too complex?
Nope are fan base is just too stupid to comprehend football. Penn State just ran for 234 and 6.9 yards per carry and nearly 600 yards of total offense. Only an idiot would say they can’t run the ball. There are always going to be broken plays and plays that go for no gains. It just some Penn state have a football iq in the 30s.

Who cares what they were before? This is today, now, different jimmy's and joes.
Running the ball in modern college football is a sidelight. It is only employed to close games, not win them. Look at the last 15 national championships.. elite QB's. Nobody is winning games because they dominate the running stats, they win games because they have excellent skill players that produce explosive plays....Period.
Get out of the past. When Penn State won the B1G in 2016, with the most explosive offensive player in the conference since that time, they finished 7th in the conference in rushing....bottom half.
Running the ball barely matters anymore. It's why the value of the running back is so diminished in the NFL draft.
That doesn’t mean we all have to like it.

Some have seen the explosions against lesser teams only and then have our hopes dashed.

Had Purdue had any semblance of a running game (I.e. one or two first downs in crunch time) we likely would have been toast. Their quick safe passing game just didn’t get it done and left us too much time.

How many games have we seen our 4th quarter leads dwindle and turn into losses because we couldn’t get a first down when we needed one. I guess living in Missouri the last nearly 30 years, has rubbed off on me and I won’t be comfortable until they “show me” they can control the end of a game when we have a lead against a quality opponent.
The other side of holding a lead is stopping the other guys. Against Purdue, the secondary showed me a lot.

You have to be able to run the ball.

Reactions: bdgan
Your first sentence makes it seem like I'm solely talking about this yr regarding the run game troubles..obviously last week was a great uptick. My premise is as an aggregate over the last couple yrs, it's obvious. Sorry for condemning the OL....I mean it's one of the highest rated positions (based on recruiting stars) the last few classes, and yet, arguably the most underachieving. Maybe you should view it objectively as well. I mean scUM held OSU to 64 yds rushing in 2021 and shut them down. Why do you dismiss them automatically in the tone which u did? Yes, this year looks like improvement has been made through the first two games. I do think it was discouraging that our RT (Wallace) didn't even make it through the first game without getting benched for Effner in crunch time. That's not a good sign. And, before you retort with, "JF said he wants to build depth and rotate guys," -- No coach plans to remove a starter the final drive of a game for a lightly used, undersized backup in Effner. Maybe we both should wait until we play Auburn which has a very athletic defense with SEC talent -- then we can truly tell.
Yes need to see how we do vs Auburn. We certainly have underachieved the last few years at O-Line. My main point is there has been improvement this year so far but it is too early to make definitive declarations for the year except we have seen improvement to date. Hopefully we look good against the Auburn defense. Not sure what happened to Wallace. Excited to see if Singleton can build off his Ohio performance.

Yes need to see how we do vs Auburn. We certainly have underachieved the last few years at O-Line. My main point is there has been improvement this year so far but it is too early to make definitive declarations for the year except we have seen improvement to date. Hopefully we look good against the Auburn defense. Not sure what happened to Wallace. Excited to see if Singleton can build off his Ohio performance.
Agreed...the first two weeks have shown improvement and growth, which is a good thing. And, a homerun hitter finally in the backfield. Now we need to see overall growth out of the offense -- can't have too many 3 and outs vs Auburn and the other tough team's we'll face. When big runs aren't happening, can we still grind out 4-5 yds at a time to allow our passing game to function. JF et al seeks big plays, when in reality, having a little more improvement on the ground in so many of these heartbreaking defeats over the years would have been the difference. Can PSU do what OSU did vs ND when the big plays through the air weren't happening -- be physical and grind out a win vs a championship level program....if we can make those strides, then we should all be thrilled about the possibilities.

No, that isn't a serious statement in the title. But how can 3 Sunbelt teams run the ball on Nebraska, TA&M and... ND while PSU can't run the ball consistently against Ohio U? I'm not trying to criticize, but what are they doing differently? Is our scheme too complex?
Are those teams in the same stage of development as Penn State? I don't know but I for one view this Penn State team as a development project. Hopefully they'll end up where everyone here thinks they should be right now

Are those teams in the same stage of development as Penn State? I don't know but I for one view this Penn State team as a development project. Hopefully they'll end up where everyone here thinks they should be right now
Isn't every team in development mode in some form? I would contend that being average at the very least in all areas for a program like PSU should be the norm and expected. The past couple of seasons, we have been way below average on the OL in pass protection and the run game. Unlike the NFL when the core of your team pretty much stays the same, in today's CFB world with the portal and NIL and guys up and leaving sometimes during the season, unfortunately it puts immense pressure to win like five minutes ago. Gone are the days of waiting 2 to 3 years for players to develop and have an 'old' team that we all grew up with. That's why I have a hard time with the 'wait till 2023-24' crowd as pointing to potential big years. Because strengths of todays team, may be weaknesses those next yrs due to graduation, etc., and then we'll hear excuses about those positions. You have to be measured today, and not down the road.

Isn't every team in development mode in some form? I would contend that being average at the very least in all areas for a program like PSU should be the norm and expected. The past couple of seasons, we have been way below average on the OL in pass protection and the run game. Unlike the NFL when the core of your team pretty much stays the same, in today's CFB world with the portal and NIL and guys up and leaving sometimes during the season, unfortunately it puts immense pressure to win like five minutes ago. Gone are the days of waiting 2 to 3 years for players to develop and have an 'old' team that we all grew up with. That's why I have a hard time with the 'wait till 2023-24' crowd as pointing to potential big years. Because strengths of todays team, may be weaknesses those next yrs due to graduation, etc., and then we'll hear excuses about those positions. You have to be measured today, and not down the road.
To answer, of course they are. Penn State is in development to determine what they want to be. The others seem to know who they are.

Reactions: scrivener
Nick is a difference maker, no doubt. His three for over 40 yards were the first time we’ve had a run over 40 yards in the last 23 games.
Pretty sure I read somewhere that Nick's 3 carries for more than 40 yards in one game is the first time that has happened for PSU since 2002 (LJ). Given the RBs PSU has had carrying the rock in the intervening 20 years that is simply amazing, IMO.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Nick's 3 carries for more than 40 yards in one game is the first time that has happened for PSU since 2002 (LJ). Given the RBs PSU has had carrying the rock in the intervening 20 years that is simply amazing, IMO.

Didn't Journey Brown have a massive Bowl Game (well into the 200s)? Would of thought there were several long runs in those numbers.

Agreed...the first two weeks have shown improvement and growth, which is a good thing. And, a homerun hitter finally in the backfield. Now we need to see overall growth out of the offense -- can't have too many 3 and outs vs Auburn and the other tough team's we'll face. When big runs aren't happening, can we still grind out 4-5 yds at a time to allow our passing game to function. JF et al seeks big plays, when in reality, having a little more improvement on the ground in so many of these heartbreaking defeats over the years would have been the difference. Can PSU do what OSU did vs ND when the big plays through the air weren't happening -- be physical and grind out a win vs a championship level program....if we can make those strides, then we should all be thrilled about the possibilities.
Totally agree. We cannot fall in love with the explosive play. It can burn you even if it is a good call yet horrific execution (Purdue pick 6). I think that play came right after a 9 yard run. You wonder if we just kept running it what would have happened. Odds are we will not be able to overcome a pick 6 Sat.

My question with Singleton is if he can grind out the 4 yard run by breaking a tackle? Lee is capable but is so slow that hinders him and by the time he gets to where the small running hole was it is sealed up.

This game will help to tell us a lot about if the progress we are seeing in the run game will hunt with bigger dogs.

Reactions: scrivener
Totally agree. We cannot fall in love with the explosive play. It can burn you even if it is a good call yet horrific execution (Purdue pick 6). I think that play came right after a 9 yard run. You wonder if we just kept running it what would have happened. Odds are we will not be able to overcome a pick 6 Sat.

My question with Singleton is if he can grind out the 4 yard run by breaking a tackle? Lee is capable but is so slow that hinders him and by the time he gets to where the small running hole was it is sealed up.

This game will help to tell us a lot about if the progress we are seeing in the run game will hunt with bigger dogs.
Great point...I didn't remember that the pick 6 came after a nice run. That is where I would like to continue pounding the ball. I would hope Kaytron Allen will get some of the carries that Lee does as the between the tackles guy to get those 3 and 4 yd runs...he has a burst which Lee doesn't. All we heard in the offseason is how those two will play early and often -- I truly hope so because the only way to sustain an effective passing game is to have some semblance of a running game. Too often it has been target practice by the defense on Clifford -- leading to him getting destroyed far too often. As you mention, if we can progress in the run, it will allow us to play with the big dogs on the schedule. Throughout all the evolution of spread offenses the last decade or so and getting guys in space, if you can't win at the LOS in key moments, you won't ascend to championship heights.

Great point...I didn't remember that the pick 6 came after a nice run. That is where I would like to continue pounding the ball. I would hope Kaytron Allen will get some of the carries that Lee does as the between the tackles guy to get those 3 and 4 yd runs...he has a burst which Lee doesn't. All we heard in the offseason is how those two will play early and often -- I truly hope so because the only way to sustain an effective passing game is to have some semblance of a running game. Too often it has been target practice by the defense on Clifford -- leading to him getting destroyed far too often. As you mention, if we can progress in the run, it will allow us to play with the big dogs on the schedule. Throughout all the evolution of spread offenses the last decade or so and getting guys in space, if you can't win at the LOS in key moments, you won't ascend to championship heights.
Franklin is well aware of this but the $80 million question is can he get the results. I really hope we can hold our own at the LOS. A bit nervous. Any idea how good Auburn's D-Line and O-Line are? My sense is their D-Line will be a handful. They typically have fast DEs and run stuffing DTs along with fast LBs. Although they are kind of down this year so not sure what their talent level looks like.

Franklin is well aware of this but the $80 million question is can he get the results. I really hope we can hold our own at the LOS. A bit nervous. Any idea how good Auburn's D-Line and O-Line are? My sense is their D-Line will be a handful. They typically have fast DEs and run stuffing DTs along with fast LBs. Although they are kind of down this year so not sure what their talent level looks like.
No question about that...Auburn has dudes up front and athletic at LB. We ran for 84 yards last year and AUB has everyone up front back. Their run defense allowed just eight touchdowns – none in the last five games – and just 3.5 yards per carry. But, they are replacing I believe three starters from the secondary. It really starts up front and if the OL can give Cliff enough time to survey and go through his reads without bailing out of the pocket or getting sacked. It's really now or never for Trautwein and this group of OL to show what they can do against the first real heavy they are playing on the schedule. If we can at least be at neutral at the LOS and simply tread water, PSU has more overall talent. Just hope we don't get buried up front. On the offensive side of the ball, AUB has the two headed monster in the backfield with Tank Bigsby who hit 1k last year, and Hunter who is the speed guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT