ADVERTISEMENT

OL Development - can we get some Sunbelt coaches & recruits?

SoParkLion

Sep 23, 2001
No, that isn't a serious statement in the title. But how can 3 Sunbelt teams run the ball on Nebraska, TA&M and... ND while PSU can't run the ball consistently against Ohio U? I'm not trying to criticize, but what are they doing differently? Is our scheme too complex?

PGA Tour players miss the green 20% of the time from the middle of the fairway 110 yards out.....FACT

Realign your expectations.

If you want your favorite college football team to be all things in all aspects, just forget it. Football doesn't work that way.

Reactions: Online Persona
PGA Tour players miss the green 20% of the time from the middle of the fairway 110 yards out.....FACT

If you want your favorite college football team to be all things in all aspects, just forget it. Football doesn't work that way.
I'm not expecting an in-conference road-grading experience, but PSU-Ohio? They're typically bringing in the ~100th class in the NCAA.

I'm not expecting an in-conference road-grading experience, but PSU-Ohio? They're typically bringing in the ~100th class in the NCAA.
The team had their best rushing output in basically 3 seasons, what exactly do you want? Tommy Frazier or Jemelle Holliway?

Realign expectations? This is PSU...a major, big brand program, filled with tradition, and a history of running the ball, prior to the last 10 years. So, last year, finishing last in the B1G in running....the worst output we've had on the ground in recent memory is where we should expect? App ST had the bowl 40 minutes vs TaMu, and crushed them at the LOS. When was the last time PSU truly walloped a legitimate program at the LOS...it requires some serious deep thinking...that is a major problem. I think the point he was trying to make is many, many teams, especially lesser programs, make it look so easy to run, and for PSU, it's extremely labor intensive. That is a systemic problem -- either the scheme we are playing, the recruits at that position, or strength training. all of that falls on the head coach. Sorry, but PSU should not be anywhere near dead last in the B1G running the football..if those expectations are fine with you, then 7-9 win seasons sound right up your alley.

Realign expectations? This is PSU...a major, big brand program, filled with tradition, and a history of running the ball, prior to the last 10 years. So, last year, finishing last in the B1G in running....the worst output we've had on the ground in recent memory is where we should expect? App ST had the bowl 40 minutes vs TaMu, and crushed them at the LOS. When was the last time PSU truly walloped a legitimate program at the LOS...it requires some serious deep thinking...that is a major problem. I think the point he was trying to make is many, many teams, especially lesser programs, make it look so easy to run, and for PSU, it's extremely labor intensive. That is a systemic problem -- either the scheme we are playing, the recruits at that position, or strength training. all of that falls on the head coach. Sorry, but PSU should not be anywhere near dead last in the B1G running the football..if those expectations are fine with you, then 7-9 win seasons sound right up your alley.
Who cares what they were before? This is today, now, different jimmy's and joes.
Running the ball in modern college football is a sidelight. It is only employed to close games, not win them. Look at the last 15 national championships.. elite QB's. Nobody is winning games because they dominate the running stats, they win games because they have excellent skill players that produce explosive plays....Period.
Get out of the past. When Penn State won the B1G in 2016, with the most explosive offensive player in the conference since that time, they finished 7th in the conference in rushing....bottom half.
Running the ball barely matters anymore. It's why the value of the running back is so diminished in the NFL draft.
If Nebraska ran the ball like they used to they'd barely be any better.
Welcome to sports, it evolves.....all the time.

Reactions: mnuccio2
Who cares what they were before? This is today, now, different jimmy's and joes.
Running the ball in modern college football is a sidelight. It is only employed to close games, not win them. Look at the last 15 national championships.. elite QB's. Nobody is winning games because they dominate the running stats, they win games because they have excellent skill players that produce explosive plays....Period.
Get out of the past. When Penn State won the B1G in 2016, with the most explosive offensive player in the conference since that time, they finished 7th in the conference in rushing....bottom half.
Running the ball barely matters anymore. It's why the value of the running back is so diminished in the NFL draft.
I swear many posters on here would be okay with losing as long as we did it with a fullback.

I'll add how many games were lost cause PSU couldn't run the ball to bleed clock to win. I can think of a couple late collapses against OSU alone. How much would a couple of those wins mean to the program.

Georgia was the 37th best rushing team in college football last season. Alabama was #76.

I swear many posters on here would be okay with losing as long as we did it with a fullback.
If only we could run 90% of our plays out of the I formation behind Sam Gash.
Do you know why teams don't do that anymore? Because it doesn't work, because the athletes and schemes have evolved to make it a very low percentage way to try to beat an opponent.
Does anyone remember the cheer that was given when Paterno ran his first play out of the shotgun?
It wasn't so long ago.

Thanks for the welcome to sports....and obviously PSU shouldn't deploy the Iowa, Wisconsin, Stanford style of double TE and running 40 times. But, don't come after me with your sarcasm, JF said it himself this off-season and many times in the past, "We need to be able to run the ball when we want to, and when we have to." That is the point...PSU hasn't been able to do that in games when they have needed to slam the door. I'm not saying to totally change styles...but on a critical 3rd and short or medium, when we have the opportunity to slam the door, as an aggregate, we dont, and haven't. 98 yards was enough to beat Purdue, that is fine...will 98 yards be good enough to beat Auburn...we shall see. The situations dictate when you have to run the ball, and if you are able to. Because having Sean and/or Drew become target practice for opposing defenses also isn't a great season long solution...we've seen that before as well. Ohio St having the ability to be balanced over these many years has helped their offense dramatically...PSU has had an embarrassing OL over the last several years...simply being slightly above average could have netted at least one playoff appearance...that is what I'm saying

Reactions: SoParkLion
A little confused are ye? The most games a college team can play is 15 and that’s if the win a conference championship game and the National Championship.

A little confused are ye? The most games a college team can play is 15 and that’s if the win a conference championship game and the National Championship.
Huh...I meant 7 to 9 win seasons...nine 7-9. Good lord.

Reactions: KCLion
If only we could run 90% of our plays out of the I formation behind Sam Gash.
Do you know why teams don't do that anymore? Because it doesn't work, because the athletes and schemes have evolved to make it a very low percentage way to try to beat an opponent.
Does anyone remember the cheer that was given when Paterno ran his first play out of the shotgun?
It wasn't so long ago.
It’s been so successful for Iowa and Wiscy recently. And even Harbaugh had to get away from it because his offenses were a joke.

I'll add how many games were lost cause PSU couldn't run the ball to bleed clock to win. I can think of a couple late collapses against OSU alone. How much would a couple of those wins mean to the program.
1000%..but some replies here indicate that it's this style or nothing...nobody wants to go back to the old I-formation style. But, having the ability to run, with our utilized scheme is critical...and for the most, we haven't been able to. Most people on here are just too myopic to see that.

Reactions: PAgeologist
It’s been so successful for Iowa and Wiscy recently. And even Harbaugh had to get away from it because his offenses were a joke.
It's not an all or nothing AWS...jeepers, people on here take everything one way or another...it's a gray area. Can we run well enough in our offensive scheme and dynamic to win games...that is the question for most programs? If we can finally do so, then big things could be on the horizon. If our typically underperforming OL can't hold up in short yardage situations and get stuffed on key runs in big situations, then our QB's will continue to be target practice. It's those moments inside the margins, that matter. Not always big plays which JF salivates for.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Thanks for the welcome to sports....and obviously PSU shouldn't deploy the Iowa, Wisconsin, Stanford style of double TE and running 40 times. But, don't come after me with your sarcasm, JF said it himself this off-season and many times in the past, "We need to be able to run the ball when we want to, and when we have to." That is the point...PSU hasn't been able to do that in games when they have needed to slam the door. I'm not saying to totally change styles...but on a critical 3rd and short or medium, when we have the opportunity to slam the door, as an aggregate, we dont, and haven't. 98 yards was enough to beat Purdue, that is fine...will 98 yards be good enough to beat Auburn...we shall see. The situations dictate when you have to run the ball, and if you are able to. Because having Sean and/or Drew become target practice for opposing defenses also isn't a great season long solution...we've seen that before as well. Ohio St having the ability to be balanced over these many years has helped their offense dramatically...PSU has had an embarrassing OL over the last several years...simply being slightly above average could have netted at least one playoff appearance...that is what I'm saying
Of course you need to be able to run the ball, you also need to be able to throw the ball, kick the ball and defend the ball. However, you don't need a road grader offensive line and a power running game to be a great football team. In fact most great football teams aren't that, look up the last 15 or so national champs.

How about all those championships at Wisconsin and Iowa lately. They are tearing it up with that philosophy.

The last time Penn State tried to run the ball to secure a win they ran Miles Sanders right into Chase Young.

Running the ball is a thing of the past. It's used as necessary to finalize scores. At that point in the game its as much about will as it is about philosophy. Stop making small things big.

I'll state it again, 2021 Georgia 37th in nation in rushing, Alabama 76th.

It's not an all or nothing AWS...jeepers, people on here take everything one way or another...it's a gray area. Can we run well enough in our offensive scheme and dynamic to win games...that is the question for most programs? If we can finally do so, then big things could be on the horizon. If our typically underperforming OL can't hold up in short yardage situations and get stuffed on key runs in big situations, then our QB's will continue to be target practice. It's those moments inside the margins, that matter. Not always big plays which JF salivates for.
I agree, I would love to be able to run more effectively, but if it was as easy as putting in a couple of plays with an I formation, I’m quite sure every coach would do it. Obviously it isn’t and we’re not going to see it, so we might as well stop acting like it’s the only solution.

I haven't even read your full post yet but I am going to give you full points for using the word "jeepers"

You are right...Harbaugh opened things up a bit more the last two years, and in 2021 it paid dividends by making the playoffs. They also threw the ball 8 times I want to say in the second half vs OSU last year...and still crushed them. Michigan is a physical, rugged team that wins the LOS....PSU doesn't. It's all situational football nowadays...I'm not saying PSU needs to be 1st or 2nd in the conference in rushing, but simply on a 3rd and 3, in a big moment vs a big team...can we close out the game on the ground like so many teams do...that is the question. Because, clearly, trying to pass our way to victory isn't a season long solution...there has to be balance.

Of course you need to be able to run the ball, you also need to be able to throw the ball, kick the ball and defend the ball. However, you don't need a road grader offensive line and a power running game to be a great football team. In fact most great football teams aren't that, look up the last 15 or so national champs.

How about all those championships at Wisconsin and Iowa lately. They are tearing it up with that philosophy.

The last time Penn State tried to run the ball to secure a win they ran Miles Sanders right into Chase Young.

Running the ball is a thing of the past. It's used as necessary to finalize scores. At that point in the game its as much about will as it is about philosophy. Stop making small things big.

PSU - 125th?? Just a guess.

And nobody seems to credit Franklin with the formation they’ve used down near the goal line…that looks pretty effective and I’m sure we’ll see it on third or fourth and short at other times.

Reactions: Online Persona
I agree, I would love to be able to run more effectively, but if it was as easy as putting in a couple of plays with an I formation, I’m quite sure every coach would do it. Obviously it isn’t and we’re not going to see it, so we might as well stop acting like it’s the only solution.
Who said anything about deploying Iform? How about just having a pulling guard not trip over themselves...or just not get bull rushed for like 2 seconds...part of the reason why Yurcich has been so pass heavy is our inability to find a reliable guy or side of the OL to run behind. Can anyone here name one or two truly reliable OL guys we've had the last few years where you can say, hey, we can run to that side. It has been a systemic problem.

PSU goes on the road at night and beats a team that had 9 wins last year, a 6th year 74% completion rate Qb, and more returning starters than any other big 10 team.

Then we come home and wallop Ohio rushing for over 200 yards, completing passes to 17 different receivers, playing like 70 players including some walk ons that I had no idea were on the team.

We cover the spread in both wins and some fans are still complaining. Would you rather the domers start, or Texas a&m, Wisconsin, or Iowa? Some apparently will just never be happy.

And nobody seems to credit Franklin with the formation they’ve used down near the goal line…that looks pretty effective and I’m sure we’ll see it on third or fourth and short at other times.
I hate it if they only sneak with it. It seems like a prescription for getting your QB hurt. 260+ hitting you in the back and from the front at the same time.

PSU - 125th?? Just a guess.
And 37th would be a massive improvement and probably good enough for PSU to take the next step. Our longest TD run was 7 yds last season...but by the tenor of this thread, that is seemingly 'the way of todays game,' which is ridiculous.

Who said anything about deploying Iform? How about just having a pulling guard not trip over themselves...or just not get bull rushed for like 2 seconds...part of the reason why Yurcich has been so pass heavy is our inability to find a reliable guy or side of the OL to run behind. Can anyone here name one or two truly reliable OL guys we've had the last few years where you can say, hey, we can run to that side. It has been a systemic problem.
And Franklin has said that and is working on it in recruiting. It’s not like you can just make someone that kind of lineman. If the best OLineman don’t want to come to PSU, there’s not much a coach can do about it but keep trying to recruit them. We also rarely got the highest QB recruits over the years until Hack and Allar….it’s not an overnight fix.

Reactions: scrivener
They also threw the ball 8 times I want to say in the second half vs OSU last year...and still crushed them. Michigan is a physical, rugged team that wins the LOS....PSU doesn't.
Michigan sucks, they had a fluke year. They were good because of Aiden Hutchinson, his play and leadership not due to their running game. In fact it was their shitty offense that kept their ceiling low and made getting crushed in the playoff a foregone conclusion.
Even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days.

And Franklin has said that and is working on it in recruiting. It’s not like you can just make someone that kind of lineman. If the best OLineman don’t want to come to PSU, there’s not much a coach can do about it but keep trying to recruit them. We also rarely got the highest QB recruits over the years until Hack and Allar….it’s not an overnight fix.
Back to the original title of the thread - how are the smaller division teams getting those type of lineman then?

It's been 8 years....I know it's not an overnight fix, but the running game has gotten worse. All of these pollsters on this thread keep throwing out the team rankings for previous champs...yep, UGA was 37th last year as someone said? They averaged 191 ypg on the ground and 5+ ypc; 2019 LSU, which had Burrow throw all over everyone, had a 1400 yd rusher in Clyde Edwards-Helaire. So, all this jabber from previous posters how nobody is running for a championship is hogwash.

Michigan sucks, they had a fluke year. They were good because of Aiden Hutchinson, his play and leadership not due to their running game. In fact it was their shitty offense that kept their ceiling low and made getting crushed in the playoff a foregone conclusion.
Even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days.
You bring up the other side of the coin, the DL, another area that has lacked, and an area that needs an uptick to make the playoffs. Although, I'm expecting your reply that those days are done and nobody rushes the passer anymore. Winning the LOS on both sides of the ball are the two primary areas that have been weaknesses under JF..I see the trend at least.

Add lowhandicapper to to the list of miserable old widowers who can’t stand anyone criticizing the team. Didn’t you notice that AWS and Marshall already have this seat at the bar?

Add lowhandicapper to to the list of miserable old widowers who can’t stand anyone criticizing the team. Didn’t you notice that AWS and Marshall already have this seat at the bar?
He said Michigan sucks...lol...what a clown. What an articulate reply.

And 37th would be a massive improvement and probably good enough for PSU to take the next step. Our longest TD run was 7 yds last season...but by the tenor of this thread, that is seemingly 'the way of todays game,' which is ridiculous.
When you stink your stats aren't good...any of them. That doesn't change the fact that running the football is a boutique part of the game these days. Being a great running team is not an important factor to be a good football team in todays game. Yes, you must be able to run the ball in certain situations but its a minimally important aspect to being a successful football team, more than ever before in the history of the sport. The ball must be moved downfield via the passing game to be regularly effective in modern football. If you have a good running game its a bonus, not a requirement.
Its as if people want the team to be Bill Walsh's west coast until mid fourth quarter then transform into 1990s Nebraska for the rest of the game.....Seems like a realist expectation.

He said Michigan sucks...lol...what a clown. What an articulate reply.
Some people hate facts but please do bring up all those recent national champions built around power running games. I can't wait to hear about Mo Clarett two decades ago.

When you stink your stats aren't good...any of them. That doesn't change the fact that running the football is a boutique part of the game these days. Being a great running team is not an important factor to be a good football team in todays game. Yes, you must be able to run the ball in certain situations but its a minimally important aspect to being a successful football team, more than ever before in the history of the sport. The ball must be moved downfield via the passing game to be regularly effective in modern football. If you have a good running game its a bonus, not a requirement.
Its as if people want the team to be Bill Walsh's west coast until mid fourth quarter then transform into 1990s Nebraska for the rest of the game.....Seems like a realist expectation.
Right...and the last two years, PSU has stunk. I just gave UGA and LSU's running stats in a previous reply...and that is why they were able to dominate, because they had balance. PSU has to be the easiest team to scout on offense b/c we have no balance, power, physicality, etc. It's all finesse and angles. LSU had a 1400 yd rusher, even with Burrow having a record year. You think Burrow has that season if LSU is 119th in rushing? Not a freaking chance.

Some people hate facts but please do bring up all those recent national champions built around power running games. I can't wait to hear about Mo Clarett two decades ago.
I just brought up UGA and LSU you myopic goof; They weren't built around power running games, but they had a running game. You are turning my point into an all or nothing...which you are doing to favor your point. I brought up stats, you are speaking nothing but air.

You bring up the other side of the coin, the DL, another area that has lacked, and an area that needs an uptick to make the playoffs. Although, I'm expecting your reply that those days are done and nobody rushes the passer anymore. Winning the LOS on both sides of the ball are the two primary areas that have been weaknesses under JF..I see the trend at least.
Defensive line is everything! period. Its the one position on the field, both sides, that actually forces the alteration of the offense. Its why defensive ends are highest paid, most sought after player in paid football, quarterback aside. If you can disrupt the passing game of your opponent, you have a chance to win any game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT