ADVERTISEMENT

OL Development - can we get some Sunbelt coaches & recruits?

No question....my point exactly. PSU has been below average running the ball, and it shows. It's not like PSU is superior in passing either...so while your premise as a whole might be valid, PSU doesn't do anything superior.
But even when they had two of the top backs in the country Barkley & Sanders and a entire offensive line basically playing the NFL (Bates, Fries, Walker, McGovern, Menet) in one way or another practice squad or active roster it didn't push them over the top, because running games don't do that these days, they are important accessories, that yes, must be viable (above average). James Franklin doesn't talk about winning the 3 & 2 running conversion battle in his press conferences, he talks about winning the explosive play battle, winning the turnover battle, winning the sack battle, etc.
Look running is important, however its the least important of the major factors to win a game because its importance is so situational......Field position, part/time of game, down and distance, how well your own defense is playing. If you're stuck in your own end zone all first half due to field position your probably gonna run a lot. Likewise if you just went up 27-3 late in the 2nd quarter you would probably expect that you're gonna run a lot the rest of the game. Alabama and Georgia have a lot of leads often big ones. That is a huge factor in the philosophy of how they will run the ball and what kind of game stats will come from it.

Yesterday Franklin felt it was more important to get his backup QB's real reps than hone his running game continuity. Might that be a mistake? Sure it might be. Time will tell.

Reactions: scrivener
You're straw manning this now.
To win a major conference or national title you have to be average or better at everything.
A good running game is on the level of good special teams. You can't win a title with it but you can certainly lose a title without it being servicable. Championship teams have superior passing and defense. It's just a fact. It wasn't a fact in 1996 but it's a fact in 2022.

Agree, this is due to an old adage that dates way back among knowledgable football people - a good defense can always take away a good running game, but not without increasing exposure to the passing game. Essentially, if you can't stop a team from consistently running the ball - you will lose, so modern 4-3 defenses have been built to stop the run first by overwhelming the LOS with personnel, thus fouling run lanes, etc... (between the OL, TE and defenders you have 13 football players at the LOS and there aren't going to be running lanes). But again, just as you've said, modern defenses have been built to ensure that a team cannot beat you simply running the ball if they line-up in a straight "power" formation... - they are designed to force the other team's QB to beat you and even then they are going to pressure the QB by loading the box - which puts big pressure on the corners, but as Urban Myer said in his piece the other day, modern defenses are designed to make the QB make a decision in under 2 seconds (i.e., coverage only has to be tight for 2 seconds). In any event, a team might be able to run the ball against a completely outmanned defense, but they're not going to run the ball against a high-quality defense.

Reactions: lowhandicapper
Alabama and Georgia have a lot of leads often big ones. That is a huge factor in the philosophy of how they will run the ball and what kind of game stats will come from it.
While we are at it let's not get all proper and discuss the fact that nobody and I mean nobody recruits large talented human beings better than Georgia and Alabama. So yes, after your completely outmanned team (85% of both of their opponents) goes down 3 scores and haven't converted a 3rd down in 2 quarters they send in the three headed monster to finish you off. Penn State doesn't have that luxury and neither does any other team, not even the mighty Buckeyes.

First of all, I didn't make the initial comment. Secondly, relax...it's a message board. Third, if you look as an aggregate, the thread poster is correct. The running game has been poor and unreliable for a couple of years now. Does that mean it will be this year, of course not. But, trend lines mean something for the most part. Since you took such great offense to the poster wanting to remove the big runs/plays, here is what I gather from your response: that if PSU runs the ball let's say, 28 times vs Auburn and Singleton has two runs that each go for 60 and 70 -- and then the remaining 26 carries get under 3 ypc, your argument is that PSU showed they could run the ball. That, is totally absurd.

Wrong, you're full of crap, Singleton has averaged 5.44 ypc when you take away his 2 long TD runs - not under 3 ypc as you just claimed (Singleton has 20 carries to date for 204 yards - if you take away the 2 long TD runs, he has 98 yards on 18 carries which is 5.44 ypc, not "under 3 ypc"), so maybe you should "relax" with your bullshit misstatement of the facts.

You might be right, time will tell but JJ McCarthy looks really good. With Cade McNamara at QB I thought we would hang with Michigan even on the road. With JJ McCarthy and his athleticism I now just hope we can be competitive. It is still early in the season, it will take a few more weeks for the real contenders to emerge but I will not be surprised if Michigan is one of them.
Michigan has looked very efficient so far. Better than I would have expected after their losses from last years team considering how they played in '19 and '20.

However, take nothing from the Hawaii game. Vandy scored 60 on those guys; they are a glorified high school team.
Add in Colorado State being 0-2 and getting waxed yesterday by MTSU.

time will tell with them when they finally play a team with a pulse in two weeks.

But even when they had two of the top backs in the country Barkley & Sanders and a entire offensive line basically playing the NFL (Bates, Fries, Walker, McGovern, Menet) in one way or another practice squad or active roster it didn't push them over the top, because running games don't do that these days, they are important accessories, that yes, must be viable (above average). James Franklin doesn't talk about winning the 3 & 2 running conversion battle in his press conferences, he talks about winning the explosive play battle, winning the turnover battle, winning the sack battle, etc.
Look running is important, however its the least important of the major factors to win a game because its importance is so situational......Field position, part/time of game, down and distance, how well your own defense is playing. If you're stuck in your own end zone all first half due to field position your probably gonna run a lot. Likewise if you just went up 27-3 late in the 2nd quarter you would probably expect that you're gonna run a lot the rest of the game. Alabama and Georgia have a lot of leads often big ones. That is a huge factor in the philosophy of how they will run the ball and what kind of game stats will come from it.

Yesterday Franklin felt it was more important to get his backup QB's real reps than hone his running game continuity. Might that be a mistake? Sure it might be. Time will tell.
This is a solid post. Although that group of five you mention on the OL were only marginal -- and Rasheed became a massive disappointment at the end. None of those were truly reliable. You are right...running is situational: Field position, time and score, etc. But, PSU doesn't run the ball well in any situation, that has been the problem. I agree JF mentions postgames about winning the explosive play battle, turnovers, etc. But you did leave out that he weekly mentions how much the running game has to be better situationally and they must run the ball when they want to, and have to. Hence that means situationally. I agree with your premise...but JF says these things, and they rarely play out.

Wrong, you're full of crap, Singleton has averaged 5.44 ypc when you take away his 2 long TD runs - not under 3 ypc as you just claimed (Singleton has 20 carries to date for 204 yards - if you take away the 2 long TD runs, he has 98 yards on 18 carries which is 5.44 ypc, not "under 3 ypc"), so maybe you should "relax" with your bullshit misstatement of the facts.
Huh, I didn't claim he averaged 3 ypc, that was in my hypothetical about Auburn to magnify your perspective on the running game. Read clearly. You are way too intense and vulgar on a message board to be taken seriously. Relax dude...criticism of a team doesn't mean you are a hater, you seem to take this stuff personally.

Last edited:
While we are at it let's not get all proper and discuss the fact that nobody and I mean nobody recruits large talented human beings better than Georgia and Alabama. So yes, after your completely outmanned team (85% of both of their opponents) goes down 3 scores and haven't converted a 3rd down in 2 quarters they send in the three headed monster to finish you off. Penn State doesn't have that luxury and neither does any other team, not even the mighty Buckeyes.
Exactly this. Very good 200ish pound athletes, relatively speaking, are not overly difficult to find. Very good 300+ pound athletes are very difficult to find, and Georgia and Alabama get many of them. I think our difficulty in the run game is a combination of factors - one being that we didn’t have great speed at the RB position the last 2 seasons - but it appears we do now. Other factors could be that we expect our lineman to hold blocks longer than they’re capable of doing because many of our running plays are slow-developing. I’ll say this: when Mr. Allar becomes the starter, our running game will improve by the simple fact that he can beat a defense if they load up to stop the run. Quick decisions, strong AND accurate arm. Clifford does not make quick decisions typically, and is often not accurate.

Our OL would be better if they didn’t have to block so long - at least 2 of the 5 sacks allowed were because Clifford held the ball way too long rather than throwing it out of bounds somwhere near a receiver.

Exactly this. Very good 200ish pound athletes, relatively speaking, are not overly difficult to find. Very good 300+ pound athletes are very difficult to find, and Georgia and Alabama get many of them. I think our difficulty in the run game is a combination of factors - one being that we didn’t have great speed at the RB position the last 2 seasons - but it appears we do now. Other factors could be that we expect our lineman to hold blocks longer than they’re capable of doing because many of our running plays are slow-developing. I’ll say this: when Mr. Allar becomes the starter, our running game will improve by the simple fact that he can beat a defense if they load up to stop the run. Quick decisions, strong AND accurate arm. Clifford does not make quick decisions typically, and is often not accurate.

Our OL would be better if they didn’t have to block so long - at least 2 of the 5 sacks allowed were because Clifford held the ball way too long rather than throwing it out of bounds somwhere near a receiver.
No question...Bama and UGA recruit the bigs better than everyone. But, PSU has all 3 and 4 star kids up front, and they still underwhelm. Whether running plays are slow developing or not, how many 1:1 matchups do we win up front...how many times do you see our OL just whip people? It's extremely rare...that is also an issue along with the blocking scheme, as you point out correctly.

Reactions: manilion
Georgia was the 37th best rushing team in college football last season. Alabama was #76.
You fail to mention both teams RBs averaged twice the PS numbers. Alabama’s #76 ranking had a starting RB the outrushed PS by himself. Your stats don’t represent efficiency.

This is dead on. You can't run 5 guys on routes vs a team blitzing heavy and hold the ball longer than 3 seconds. Some plays just don't work. Chuck it away, next down.

Yeah the last few pandemic seasons have been lousy. Before that Saquon, Sanders and Brown seemed to do OK. It seems that we now have a freshman rb with the same abilities as those 3 rbs. Many of you live in the freaking past. It is no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust on each down.
Even with those three we had a running game that couldn’t run out the clock to put a game away.

You fail to mention both teams RBs averaged twice the PS numbers. Alabama’s #76 ranking had a starting RB the outrushed PS by himself. Your stats don’t represent efficiency.
I'd be curious to know how Alabama's running has anything to do with Penn State? There were 11 running backs who had more yards than Penn State as a whole last year, you couldn't name 3 of them or which teams had them. Hint, not many were on good teams.
Alabama is anomaly, nothing any team does should be compared to them. They are the definition of an outlier. They do not, I repeat do not win their championships because of their running game.

Wrong again dippy, the OP claimed that PSU was unable to run the ball effectively last week or this week outside of two long TD runs - this simply is not true, PSU's #1 RB and leading carrier in terms of both attempts and yards has AVERAGED 5.44 ypc on the 18 carries excluding the 2 long TD runs. So you defending the false claim is bullshit and doesn't make it any true, so again, maybe you should "relax" with your bullshit claims.
LOL...ok. You are such a clown with the vulgarity and insults. It's a message board where we banter, criticize, agree, disagree, etc. But, you're right, this team is perfect, no flaws, and anyone who sees differently is an absolute moron.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Who cares what they were before? This is today, now, different jimmy's and joes.
Running the ball in modern college football is a sidelight. It is only employed to close games, not win them. Look at the last 15 national championships.. elite QB's. Nobody is winning games because they dominate the running stats, they win games because they have excellent skill players that produce explosive plays....Period.
Get out of the past. When Penn State won the B1G in 2016, with the most explosive offensive player in the conference since that time, they finished 7th in the conference in rushing....bottom half.
Running the ball barely matters anymore. It's why the value of the running back is so diminished in the NFL draft.
If Nebraska ran the ball like they used to they'd barely be any better.
Welcome to sports, it evolves.....all the time.
Just about everyone here cares. It's called tradition. It's what causes fans to show up. It is what led to PSU expanding the stadium incrementally to 107+K, and what fills those seats.

Yep, sports evolves. But the better teams evolve in a positive way. Not the way PSU's offense, and lack of a running game, have "evolved" the last few years.

Last edited:
Just about everyone here cares. It's called tradition. It's what causes fans to show up. It is what led to PSU expanding the stadium incrementally to 107+K, and what fills those seats.

Yep, sports evolves. But the better teams evolve in a positive way. Not the way PSU's offense, and lack of a running game, have "evolved" the last few years.
The tradition is winning, not strategically how you do it.
Nobody at Ohio State is complaining to win with Woody Hayes' 3 yards and a cloud of dust strategy.
The tradition is excellence, not pounding the ball like a bygone era.

The tradition is winning, not strategically how you do it.
Nobody at Ohio State is complaining to win with Woody Hayes' 3 yards and a cloud of dust strategy.
The tradition is excellence, not pounding the ball like a bygone era.
Yep, winning. And all the best teams today run the ball along with being explosive in order to consistently win and be part of playoff consideration. Conincedently, when PSU was one of the best teams they could run the ball. PSU has not been one of the best teams recently when they could not run the ball.

No one said anything about 3 yards and a cloud of dust, or pounding the ball in a bygone erra. That segway won't work here.

LOL...ok. You are such a clown with the vulgarity and insults. It's a message board where we banter, criticize, agree, disagree, etc. But, you're right, this team is perfect, no flaws, and anyone who sees differently is an absolute moron.

No, I never said they were perfect jackass and contrary to your continued assertions, the OP specifically made his post to claim that there was no improvement in the running game this year versus last year.... and if you removed Singleton's 2 long TD runs, the numbers were bad. This simply is not the case if we look at the RB numbers in question, so perhaps you should "relax" and quit mischaracterizing things!

Yep, winning. And all the best teams run the ball along with being explosive in order to consistently win.

No one said anything about 3 yards and a cloud of dust, or pounding the ball in a bygone erra. That segway won't work here.
Currently in football, running the ball in football is a secondary part of the plan to attack the opposing defense to win the game....The game is geared toward the quarterback both on offense and defense. Great teams run the ball serviceably or better because great teams are pretty good at every aspect of the game, otherwise they wouldn't be great teams. Teams that excel at running the ball are typically not the championship type teams at this time in football. The championship level teams are not typically the best running teams in their conference or in the country for that matter.

No, I never said they were perfect jackass and contrary to your continued assertions, the OP specifically made his post to claim that there was no improvement in the running game this year versus last year.... and if you removed Singleton's 2 long TD runs, the numbers were bad. This simply is not the case if we look at the RB numbers in question, so perhaps you should "relax" and quit mischaracterizing things!
I’m not one who likes to remove the big plays go make a point, but your assertion is a little bit flawed as well. Yes, Singleton is averaging 5 yds/carry without the two long runs, but the team is averaging about 3.3 without those runs.

I am ecstatic that he has the ability to break those runs against Ohio, but he got that corner on speed, not necessarily line play. Against better defenses it will be more difficult to do that.

Yep, winning. And all the best teams today run the ball along with being explosive in order to consistently win and be part of playoff consideration. Conincedently, when PSU was one of the best teams they could run the ball. PSU has not been one of the best teams recently when they could not run the ball.

Exactly, your last sentence is what he is doing and has done despite stats I've looked up, etc. Nobody on here has said let's go back to the old days, or to the way Iowa, Stanford, etc. runs an offense. You're totally correct, you have to be able to run the ball, in some fairly consistent fashion, to win a title -- or at the very least make the playoffs. How someone can draw that to mean, old days football, is just a reach to make their argument valid

Reactions: KCLion
Your missing my point, what I'm saying is that Ohio State fans care about winning, they don't care of which style their current regime delivers it to them. Just so that the result is winning.

I’m not one who likes to remove the big plays go make a point, but your assertion is a little bit flawed as well. Yes, Singleton is averaging 5 yds/carry without the two long runs, but the team is averaging about 3.3 without those runs.

I am ecstatic that he has the ability to break those runs against Ohio, but he got that corner on speed, not necessarily line play. Against better defenses it will be more difficult to do that.
Good points...be prepared to be name called by him. His premise is such that big runs should factor into whether a team is 'successful' in running the ball. I gave him a hypothetical regarding Auburn next week that he's ignored in multiple replies -- but it goes to his perspective (at least I think) as to how he judges a 'successful' running game.

Your missing my point, what I'm saying is that Ohio State fans care about winning, they don't care of which style their current regime delivers it to them. Just so that the result is winning.
right...and psu hasn't been winning to the expectations that JF and most people share. Why is that? Probably because they are a flawed team in vital areas -- the LOS and ability to close out big games. Ohio State is a consistent playoff team b/c they can.

🤡

Currently in football, running the ball in football is a secondary part of the plan to attack the opposing defense to win the game....The game is geared toward the quarterback both on offense and defense. Great teams run the ball serviceably or better because great teams are pretty good at every aspect of the game, otherwise they wouldn't be great teams. Teams that excel .e in football. The championship level teams are not typically the best running teams in their conference or in the country for that matter.
Thanks for elaborating the current game, which everyone here already is well aware of.

Teams in the playoff do run the ball better than what PSU has been able to do the last few years. And PSU will not sniff the playoffs without running the ball better than they have the past few years.

PSU fans are not different. And most of the PSU fans here realize that to win more games and reach playoff consideration PSU will have to run the ball better than what PSU has done the last few years.

I'd be curious to know how Alabama's running has anything to do with Penn State? There were 11 running backs who had more yards than Penn State as a whole last year, you couldn't name 3 of them or which teams had them. Hint, not many were on good teams.
Alabama is anomaly, nothing any team does should be compared to them. They are the definition of an outlier. They do not, I repeat do not win their championships because of their running game.
What do they win championships because of? No team won a championship with a running game as bad as PS. I repeat, no team won a championship with a running game as bad as PS under Franklin!

Thanks for elaborating the current game, which everyone here already is well aware of.

Teams in the playoff do run the ball better than what PSU has been able to do the last few years. And PSU will not sniff the playoffs without running the ball better than they have the past few years.
Stop making sense, please...I worry about some pollsters here coming after you. :)

Reactions: manilion

Well who wouldn't agree with that? That's some deep insight.
Lets just make it a blanket statement that if your football team improves at any aspect, running, passing, blocking, tackling, pass defense, pass rush, punting, kicking, personnel, coaching, etc. they will be a better team that they previously were.

That's only true because the QBs stats are included (i.e., sacks are netted out) - which I pointed out in my OP. Your analysis is the one that is flawed - this week PSU only had two RBs with any significant carries when the game was in doubt - Singleton had 10 carries for 179 yards, 2 TDs and Allen had 6 carries for 23 yards, 0 TDs. Combined they had 202 yards on 16 carries (12.6 ypc) - even if you eliminate the 2 long TD runs, the RBs put up 88 yards on 14 carries (6.3 ypc). BTW, it's absurd to eliminate the two best runs of 16 carries, that's 12.5% of the carries and the RBs still averaged 6.3 ypc without them! The 3 QBs PSU played accounted for 14 of the 34 total carries - it's absurd to count those carries as part of PSU's "running game" as sacks are netted out of their yardage and they aren't designed running plays.

I am not the one "misinterpreting" the stats as to how our RBs did - it is you and the OP who are doing that.

Well who wouldn't agree with that? That's some deep insight.
Lets just make it a blanket statement that if your football team improves at any aspect, running, passing, blocking, tackling, pass defense, pass rush, punting, kicking, personnel, coaching, etc. they will be a better team that they previously were.
Yep, and it's great that you finally stopped arguing against the need to run the ball in order for PSU to become a better football team and be more successful within the current game of college football!!

Good points...be prepared to be name called by him. His premise is such that big runs should factor into whether a team is 'successful' in running the ball. I gave him a hypothetical regarding Auburn next week that he's ignored in multiple replies -- but it goes to his perspective (at least I think) as to how he judges a 'successful' running game.

Yea, good points when PSU QBs accounted for 14 of our 34 total game carries (41% of the total game carries) for 18 yards (i.e., 1.3 ypc on 41% of the attempts).... AND IGNORE the fact that PSU's RBs who accounted for the Carrie's prior to mass substition, ran for 202 yards on 16 attempts (12.6 ypc) and 88 yards on 14 attempts (6.3 ypc) if you want to absurdly remove 20% of PSU's #1 Back's carries??? Yea, you're a regular football savant in analyzing how our RBs did - LMAO.

Yea, good points when PSU QBs accounted for 14 of our 34 total game carries (41% of the total game carries) for 18 yards (i.e., 1.3 ypc on 41% of the attempts).... AND IGNORE the fact that PSU's RBs who accounted for the Carrie's prior to mass substition, ran for 202 yards on 16 attempts (12.6 ypc) and 88 yards on 14 attempts (6.3 ypc) if you want to absurdly remove 20% of PSU's #1 Back's carries??? Yea, you're a regular football savant in analyzing how our RBs did - LMAO.
Whatever...you are evaluating how the running game will be this year based on two games, one of which we had under 100 yds rushing. I'm evaluating the overall running game, not the RB's. I know it's hard to follow. The data and overall numbers under JF show that PSU has massive problems running the ball between the margins when big plays aren't there. To make it simple for you since this is the argument you are standing behind...if PSU has 30 carries next week collectively, from RB's to QB's, and three of those go for 50, 60, and 61....the remaining 27 go for under 2 ypc...you are contending that our overall rushing attack was successful. That is idiotic. No wonder CJF is in your handle, you and him both believe big plays is the key to success.

Last edited:
Whatever...you are evaluating how the running game will be this year based on two games, one of which we had under 100 yds rushing. I'm evaluating the overall running game, not the RB's. I know it's hard to follow. The data and overall numbers under JF show that PSU has massive problems running the ball between the margins when big plays aren't there. To make it simple for you since this is the argument you are standing behind...if PSU has 30 carries next week collectively, from RB's to QB's, and three of those go for 50, 60, and 61....the remaining 27 go for under 2 ypc...you are contending that our overall rushing attack was successful. That is idiotic. No wonder CJF is in your handle, you and him both believe big plays is the key to success.

Wrong again genius - the OP specifically claimed that our running game has shown no improvement THIS YEAR vs last year if we eliminate Singleton's 2 long TD runs. So quit trying to change what was said - it's really a prototypical troll tactic. The OP is full of crap that our Running Backs have not performed significantly better THIS YEAR to date - Singleton is our #1 RB in terms of both carries and yards through 2 games - he's accounted for half the RB carries (and appears that this number will continue to rise as season progresses). Singleton has 210 yards on 20 carries, 10.5 ypc (96 yards on 18 carries, 5.33 ypc if you want to eliminate his two best carries from the 20 - which is absurd). Our RBs have made a much bigger impact on the game this year as compared to last year - way bigger impact and much better numbers, which is the diametric opposite of what the OP claimed - enough with your troll bullshit pal, it is you who is running off on tangents that have nothing to do with what the OP claimed.

Wrong again genius - the OP specifically claimed that our running game has shown no improvement THIS YEAR vs last year if we eliminate Singleton's 2 long TD runs. So quit trying to change what was said - it's really a prototypical troll tactic. The OP is full of crap that our Running Backs have not performed significantly better THIS YEAR to date - Singleton is our #1 RB in terms of both carries and yards through 2 games - he's accounted for half the RB carries (and appears that this number will continue to rise as season progresses). Singleton has 210 yards on 20 carries, 10.5 ypc (96 yards on 18 carries, 5.33 ypc if you want to eliminate his two best carries from the 20 - which is absurd). Our RBs have made a much bigger impact on the game this year as compared to last year - way bigger impact and much better numbers, which is the diametric opposite of what the OP claimed - enough with your troll bullshit pal, it is you who is running off on tangents that have nothing to do with what the OP claimed.
Of course our RB's have done better through two games than the last two seasons...no question about it. But, the overall run game, meaning when big runs aren't happening (as those are outliers), and when the QB's run the ball, is where we will see if things improve. You are so fixated on simply RB numbers...that is fine. Next week will be the first true test with a great front, excellent SEC athletes on defense, and a measuring stick as to what strides our running game has made as a whole. Not sure how that is arguable. No question Nick is a homerun threat and adds another dimension...I think for many of the people's concern on here, is what happens if big runs aren't coming, can we still push enough fronts around to move the sticks and not have to throw the ball every freaking 3rd down and short or medium...games are decided by moving the sticks with balance...that has been proven. JF says it all the time....we need to run better situationally when we have to and want to. Next week will be a good litmus test.

That's only true because the QBs stats are included (i.e., sacks are netted out) - which I pointed out in my OP. Your analysis is the one that is flawed - this week PSU only had two RBs with any significant carries when the game was in doubt - Singleton had 10 carries for 179 yards, 2 TDs and Allen had 6 carries for 23 yards, 0 TDs. Combined they had 202 yards on 16 carries (12.6 ypc) - even if you eliminate the 2 long TD runs, the RBs put up 88 yards on 14 carries (6.3 ypc). BTW, it's absurd to eliminate the two best runs of 16 carries, that's 12.5% of the carries and the RBs still averaged 6.3 ypc without them! The 3 QBs PSU played accounted for 14 of the 34 total carries - it's absurd to count those carries as part of PSU's "running game" as sacks are netted out of their yardage and they aren't designed running plays.

I am not the one "misinterpreting" the stats as to how our RBs did - it is you and the OP who are doing that.
Season averages

Of course our RB's have done better through two games than the last two seasons...no question about it. But, the overall run game, meaning when big runs aren't happening (as those are outliers), and when the QB's run the ball, is where we will see if things improve. You are so fixated on simply RB numbers...that is fine. Next week will be the first true test with a great front, excellent SEC athletes on defense, and a measuring stick as to what strides our running game has made as a whole. Not sure how that is arguable. No question Nick is a homerun threat and adds another dimension...I think for many of the people's concern on here, is what happens if big runs aren't coming, can we still push enough fronts around to move the sticks and not have to throw the ball every freaking 3rd down and short or medium...games are decided by moving the sticks with balance...that has been proven. JF says it all the time....we need to run better situationally when we have to and want to. Next week will be a good litmus test.
Nick is a difference maker, no doubt. His three for over 40 yards were the first time we’ve had a run over 40 yards in the last 23 games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT