ADVERTISEMENT

Okie st gets their transfer....but not hwt

Hmm. Pretty big name transfer. He'll need to sit out a year to get down to his OSU recommended weight of 125 anyways!

That's interesting. He still has a redshirt I believe. Can sit and take over for the guy I can't think of.

The Hwt transfer was confirmed to be JUCO champ Blake Andrews. Y'all were just being trolled.

This hole weight cutting thing has gotten out of hand. We have always been know to suck a little weight, which I agree to a great extent that it can be damaging to a wrestlers performance if its to much to pull or not done correctly. We got the bright spotlight because John had Chance pull to 157 which was way too much in y'alls eyes. The kid is short, prob no taller then 5'6-5'7. He could have made 57 and been a very effective wrestler there if he knew how to manage his weight better. Dieringer made 57, now granted it was tough but he's a couple inches taller AND with less body fat. Your wrestling for a premiere power house in D1 wrestling, sometimes that means you have to cut weight to get in the lineup. Atleast we didn't have anybody cutting every ounce of their weight like Grothus did last year to make 41

This hole weight cutting thing has gotten out of hand. We have always been know to suck a little weight, which I agree to a great extent that it can be damaging to a wrestlers performance if its to much to pull or not done correctly. We got the bright spotlight because John had Chance pull to 157 which was way too much in y'alls eyes. The kid is short, prob no taller then 5'6-5'7. He could have made 57 and been a very effective wrestler there if he knew how to manage his weight better. Dieringer made 57, now granted it was tough but he's a couple inches taller AND with less body fat. Your wrestling for a premiere power house in D1 wrestling, sometimes that means you have to cut weight to get in the lineup. Atleast we didn't have anybody cutting every ounce of their weight like Grothus did last year to make 41
You may be right about everything you wrote, bu if it makes the wrestler ineffective, then it was not the correct decision. Some guys may be more mentally prepared than others for the grind of a weight cut. Chance's own statements bear out that he had mental issues with the cut. The coach needs to recognize whether the cut is working for both the wrestler and the program. I think back to Q's early days with Cael, and Cael's desire to see Q wrestle more conventionally. Eventually, Cael recognized that whatever style worked the best for Q worked best for the program. I know weight cutting is slightly different, but I have a hard time believing that most everyone on a team needs to cut, and it seems in some programs like that is the preferred route. So I do not agree that it was all on Chance. John bears some responsibility there too.

Ever hear of a running gag?

But, if you're gonna take it seriously: wrong PA HS legend. For that matter, wrong legend from that county.

Ever hear of a running gag?

But, if you're gonna take it seriously: wrong PA HS legend. For that matter, wrong legend from that county.

"And though I used to wonder why,
I used to cry till I was dry,
Still sometimes I get a strange pain inside.."

You may be right about everything you wrote, bu if it makes the wrestler ineffective, then it was not the correct decision. Some guys may be more mentally prepared than others for the grind of a weight cut. Chance's own statements bear out that he had mental issues with the cut. The coach needs to recognize whether the cut is working for both the wrestler and the program. I think back to Q's early days with Cael, and Cael's desire to see Q wrestle more conventionally. Eventually, Cael recognized that whatever style worked the best for Q worked best for the program. I know weight cutting is slightly different, but I have a hard time believing that most everyone on a team needs to cut, and it seems in some programs like that is the preferred route. So I do not agree that it was all on Chance. John bears some responsibility there too.
That was Chance's only opportunity to make the lineup and get on the mat. He had to make a decision (which he did) and tried to make the cut. He had issues, which were mental per his own words, with the cut, and did not do things correctly or as advised. Therefore he was ineffective.

Then you have people like 2 guns, who has no clue, just spouting off BS because someone else did.

A huge change in the Weight Management rules happened just after 3 wrestlers died in 1997 in a little over a month (from Campbell Univ, Wisconsin - La Crosse, and Michigan). The current system requires a wrestler to be hydrated when tested, while maintaining a certain % body fat, to calculate a certified weight.

We've all heard about wrestlers being ineffective, seen it too, I'm sure. I'm not an expert (doctor), but it is much safer than when I wrestled in the early '70's. Safe enough??

A huge change in the Weight Management rules happened just after 3 wrestlers died in 1997 in a little over a month (from Campbell Univ, Wisconsin - La Crosse, and Michigan). The current system requires a wrestler to be hydrated when tested, while maintaining a certain % body fat, to calculate a certified weight.

We've all heard about wrestlers being ineffective, seen it too, I'm sure. I'm not an expert (doctor), but it is much safer than when I wrestled in the early '70's. Safe enough??
I think the weight cutting rules work to prevent catastrophe. I just think even if a wrestler is okay by the rules, it doesn't mean he is as effective wrestling at that weight than he is a higher weight. We've all seen it a million times. Sometimes it comes across as the wrestler paying the price for his coach not planning the recruitment phase of his job well enough. That is not directed at Smith or any particular coach, just a general statement.

Sometimes it comes across as the wrestler paying the price for his coach not planning the recruitment phase of his job well enough. That is not directed at Smith or any particular coach, just a general statement.
I agree that does happen, and probably more frequently than we think. Dealing with 18-19 year olds, sometimes the body changes more than expected, and growth patterns differ. But when a kid grows out of a weight without the hard cut, sometimes he grows into a weight where he can't compete with others already there. I have never heard of a coach anywhere saying that a wrestler had to cut to a certain weight-I have heard, and had, coaches tell a wrestler that a certain weight is his best opportunity to make the team, compete nationally, etc.

And having been through it, if you don't do it right, it doesn't matter if you are cutting 5 lbs or 25-you won't be as effective on the mat. Sometimes that may be on the coach for a poor plan, but most often probably on the wrestler for not following the plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT