ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, so what do you do for a living?....

Wish I would have chosen that rate in the nav. On our detachment the welder would let me mess around, usually just cutting metal or hard facing dozer blades.

Marketing / Market Research 10 years packaged goods Industry
Marketing Consultant 15 years SF Bay Area
B&B Owner 9 years Asheville, NC (w/ wife)
Chocolatier (part time)
Currently Jewelry & Art Store Owner 7 years Prescott, AZ (w/ wife)

Last edited:
Does the Arizona wife know about the N.C. wife? :)

Yep, she and I have been in business together or doing work for each other since '86. In fact she interviewed me for a position I eventually took at a SF Bank

Never passed up an opportunity to give. My friend, Steve, a PSU grad from the 50's owned a shot and beer bar in the Minors Mill section of Wilkes Barre. Made it a point to have the SA stop by weekly for donations from his customers.
The Salvation Army used to do a “tavern route” regularly, but through the years, that became a pretty dangerous practice! ( in many areas)

I live in Hershey, but I work out of what my department has labeled “Eastern Pennsylvania”. The majority of the time I’m in Philadelphia or Reading with occasional trips to Scranton.
small word, if you were a k9 officer, I help design your kennel at the barricks and the ugly yellow shoot house. Mechanical & plumbing

Does the Arizona wife know about the N.C. wife? :)
Funny, I have actually been a member longer here than you. I only have 57,370 posts to catch up, but I enjoy your sigs. Is there a more prolific Lurker than me? I have almost doubled in just a few hours what I have posted in the last 19 years. Just waking up I guess..

Last edited:
Yes, actually I don't know specifically about Aspen but most resort towns were hit. Vail and the mountain towns were hit with several cases. The opinion was it was caused by the large number of visitors from all over the world. Initially Vail (Vail Resorts) decided that to ride the gondola or lift different groups would have to agree to ride together. If there wasn't agreement you would ride with your own group only. They essentially closed down all food services. This seemed pretty reasonable but within a day they just shut all their ski areas and commercial establishments down on March 15. There was no warning. The governor then closed down all ski areas in Colorado.

It was all very sudden and created all sorts of issues. All the people who had booked travel and ski weeks were suddenly out of luck. Felt really bad for those that had arrived on March 15. Some foreign instructors were basically stranded here as their countries weren't so quick or able to set up flights to repatriate them. Not sure how that's gone as I'm sure several would have stayed passed their visas. Vail has been working with them. There was LOTS of inaccurate information spewed about how Vail was treating them.

Vail Resorts is VERY corporate but for the most part they have worked with people. Of course it's true they don't pay much. Always tip your ski instructor, they don't make squat and the full timers need tips to live, especially here.

Here's a video you might like from about a month ago which shows the village as a ghost town. I'm not sure you can get it, it's from the Vail Valley FB page. I couldn't find the video on the papers site. I don't know how to post videos so this is the link. Hope it works for you. Lots of people/businesses losing lots of money.

I guess that didn't work. Actually click on the word Facebook and I guess if you have an account it runs.
It’s crazy that we’ve heard so little about places like Vail through all this. I tracked down the video. Amazing. A lost season will take a while to recover from.

Reactions: LionJim
and if you are retired, what did you do as a career before retiring. Some folks have their profession in in their board names....not really looking for specifics, just a general idea...

Engineering for me.[/QUOTE

Left corporate world in 1993 after a couple ownership changes while CEO. Run a manufacturers rep company selling windows and storefront. All commission but will do over $10 million this year in sales so living the life. 65 and kicking ass and taking names working out of Destin and the ATL.

37 years in public education (New York). Born and raised just outside of Shamokin, parents moved to Selinsgrove when I was a freshman at Mansfield University. My late wife was from Numedia (just outside of Catawissa) Pa. My first job ended up being the only stop. Football Coach, Teacher, and the last 20 or so as Athletic Director.
I retired in June of 2009 and my wife passed away in October. I had the opportunity to go back to work and I am the Athletic Coordinator of a 17 school athletic league in the Mid Hudson Valley of NY. I also negotiate all the sport officials contracts in our section (sections are akin to districts in PIAA). I also serve as the state chairperson of the Officials Coordinating Federation.
@marshall23 did you go to Shamokin? I am from Pottsville work as Asst Athletic Director and teacher at Pottsville HS. Little younger than you. Have 25 years in education.

Reactions: CentrevilleLion
@marshall23 did you go to Shamokin? I am from Pottsville work as Asst Athletic Director and teacher at Pottsville HS. Little younger than you. Have 25 years in education.
No. Even though I lived in Overlook (RD2) Shamokin, we were in the Southern Columbia school district.

Travelling carnival game/ ride operator during the 3 seasons that permit. Manager of adult bookstore film booths when I'm not travelling. Load movies, remove money, keep the booths cleaned up, and refill paper towels.

Reactions: bison13
You didn't have to deal with the Flynn boys, did you?
@CentrevilleLion small world. There father as you probably know was a legendary football coach. I did not play, but was my algebra teacher. Intimidating man. Went to Notre dame.

his sons were older than me. Bill, mike and Tommy. Bill went to naval academy, Mike to Rutgers and Tommy to many places to count. Lol he is the free spirit of the group.

by the way, think we met at the cotton bowl last season. You and your wife live near where Trace grew up, correct? You were wearing a Steelers jersey? Also, spoke at that bbq place in Fort Worth? Asked you about this board. I am the guy that goes to all games, home and away in most years.

Reactions: CentrevilleLion
I went to college with Kevin Keating, fwiw
@sluggo72 are we talking, Kevin, sr? Gettysburg college. Kevin is a great man. Took are team to back to back state finals in mid 2000s. Very well respected in coaching circles. Has had some health issues recently, but he is hanging in there.

@sluggo72 are we talking, Kevin, sr? Gettysburg college. Kevin is a great man. Took are team to back to back state finals in mid 2000s. Very well respected in coaching circles. Has had some health issues recently, but he is hanging in there.
Yes Sr. He and my HS coach were great friends too
Sorry to hear about SR.

Reactions: PSUfiji
@CentrevilleLion small world. There father as you probably know was a legendary football coach. I did not play, but was my algebra teacher. Intimidating man. Went to Notre dame.

his sons were older than me. Bill, mike and Tommy. Bill went to naval academy, Mike to Rutgers and Tommy to many places to count. Lol he is the free spirit of the group.

by the way, think we met at the cotton bowl last season. You and your wife live near where Trace grew up, correct? You were wearing a Steelers jersey? Also, spoke at that bbq place in Fort Worth? Asked you about this board. I am the guy that goes to all games, home and away in most years.

@lionscott, yes on all counts. I met Bill at work here in NoVa and did some work with him in Russia when he was a Lt. Commander in the Navy. He told me his brothers would love to come to a home game so we rented a house in SC a couple times. I am very familiar with their bios and yes, Tommy was a handful.

Again, great meeting you. Have a great and safe 2020. We'll see you at the bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggo72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT