ADVERTISEMENT

Ok boys tell me about your Palestra trip. I told you it would rock.

SEPATOPTEN

Aug 21, 2010
I was not able to go but caught the last ten minutes. You guys now know what every city series Big 5 game was like in our town. That noise level was exactly the same. So cool to see Penn State come back to Philly. There is plenty of talent to mine in this town so I hope the exposure helps with recruiting.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Great time. Really a great atmosphere. Sound was LOUD. Both fan bases really seemed to enjoy. A good game against a tough opponent. Watkins could not do anything. Their #55 owned him.

As the team and crowd was singing the alma mater some jerk Iowa fan standing on the step above me exclaimed at me “JoePa knew” and I instinctively elbowed him and caught him just below his left hip. He didn’t know that happened snd I just walked away. I am a little ashamed that I reacted that way.

Sitting in the parking garage now. It’s gonna be a minute until I get out. Just gonna hang out here for a while

Last edited:
Great time. Really a great atmosphere. Sound was LOUD. Both fan bases really seemed to enjoy. A good game against a tough opponent. Watkins could not do anything. Their #55 owned him.

As the team and crowd was singing the alma mater some jerk Iowa fan standing on the step above me exclaimed at me “JoePa knew” and I instinctively elbowed him and caught him just below his left hip. He didn’t know that happenef snd I just walked away. I am a little ashamed that I reacted that way.

Sitting in the parking garage now. It’s gonna be a minute until I get out. Just gonna hang out here for s while
Yes, shame on you for not hitting him dead center.

As the team and crowd was singing the alma mater some jerk Iowa fan standing on the step above me exclaimed at me “JoePa knew” and I instinctively elbowed him and caught him just below his left hip. He didn’t know that happenef snd I just walked away. I am a little ashamed that I reacted that way.

Sitting in the parking garage now. It’s gonna be a minute until I get out. Just gonna hang out here for s while

Don't be, well done. Too bad he didn't fall. Must be a common trait among the Iowa cretins. I had the same thing happen to me at our white out game 2 years ago. The guy was so drunk even his friends didn't want to sit next to him. They were kindly advised to leave and not come back. They did.

Hopefully you're only bummed that you missed his nuts!

Hey, if you could hit him in the hip, you could have hit him in the family jewels. I thought NJ guys were tough. A lost opportunity!

Went to the game with my son and psuro. Great game and atmosphere. Place was packed. I didn’t see an empty seat anywhere.

When Stevens and Watkins were on the bench together I wondered where our scoring would come from. Brockington showed up big time. I don’t think we win today without his game. Thought Iowa’s 55 got away with what they were calling on Watkins, and his moving screens gave his guys an open lane to the hoop. But give 55 his props, he can play. I haven’t seen every big man in the conference, but I think Garza will be 1st team all conference.

I’m not new to the Palestra, my friends son played for Penn over 10 years ago so I’ve been to a number of games there. I even saw Kobe play in the District finals his Senior year.

I would be totally on board with a yearly game there. The 15 minute train ride is much closer than the 3+ hour drive to State College.

Regarding you "missing the kick" wide left... as Joe would have said in his inimitable JoePa voice, "Aw Nuts!"

I think Nate said it best wrt Stevens and fouls - rarely have we seen another player at his level not get the benefit of the doubt as much we see it with Lamar.

Certainly Chambers is talking with the B1G office about this, and certainly the B1G office responds with their usual impotence.

Went to the game with my son and psuro. Great game and atmosphere. Place was packed. I didn’t see an empty seat anywhere.

When Stevens and Watkins were on the bench together I wondered where our scoring would come from. Brockington showed up big time. I don’t think we win today without his game. Thought Iowa’s 55 got away with what they were calling on Watkins, and his moving screens gave his guys an open lane to the hoop. But give 55 his props, he can play. I haven’t seen every big man in the conference, but I think Garza will be 1st team all conference.

I’m not new to the Palestra, my friends son played for Penn over 10 years ago so I’ve been to a number of games there. I even saw Kobe play in the District finals his Senior year.

I would be totally on board with a yearly game there. The 15 minute train ride is much closer than the 3+ hour drive to State College.

I saw Garza do that over and over again and never got called for it. Definitely a foul, but a great play when the refs refuse to call it.

I think Nate said it best wrt Stevens and fouls - rarely have we seen another player at his level not get the benefit of the doubt as much we see it with Lamar.

Certainly Chambers is talking with the B1G office about this, and certainly the B1G office responds with their usual impotence.
It's not about who he is, it's more about the fact that he's playing for Penn State in the BIG

Reactions: Sharkies and Bob78
I would be totally on board with a yearly game there.

The PSU Alumni Assoc. could sell those little personal fans with the PSU AA logo on them for $25 at the game. And/or, PSU AA towels perfect for draping over your shoulder and dabbing at your sweat ala John Thompson at Georgetown back in the day.

Worth it if we get the big time exposure on TV, with recruits, and most importantly, get the W.

like that idea

I think they should up it more. Its a win-win-win. Good for recruiting, good for the fan base and driving fan engagement and good for UPenn presumably. It’s crazy that it took so many years for this to become a thing. Our administration, athletic department, and prior b ball coaches deserve every ounce of the shit we’ve given them

Just got back and it was fantastic. It was about 130 degrees and no one cared. I was lucky enough to to see them play in rec hall and then make the transition to the BJC. I understand all the different things you can do with the BJC but there is nothing like playing in an environment like that. Having about 8,500 fans loud and totally into a game. Take that same amount and put them in the BJC and it’s just not the same.

My 13 year old son said on the way home “we’ve been to a bunch of sixers big playoff games that were loud but that was WAY different. Best game I’ve ever been to. I felt like we could actually affect the game because of how loud it was in there”.

I won’t ever miss another PSU game at the Palestra!

I think they should up it more. Its a win-win-win. Good for recruiting, good for the fan base and driving fan engagement and good for UPenn presumably. It’s crazy that it took so many years for this to become a thing. Our administration, athletic department, and prior b ball coaches deserve every ounce of the shit we’ve given them

They could play any of the Big 5 schools there with the exception of Villanova. I think that game would draw enough interest to force it to be played at the Wells Fargo Center.

Hershey, ABE, and Wilkes-Barre all have 8-10,000 seat arenas. Would it be advantageous for PSU to move games to these venues when students are not in campus? Thoughts?

I think so. Energize the fan base. The trip up to State College in the winter is often tricky and Psu basketball has been so bad for so long that it’s often forgotten about. I think it would be a good idea to put PSU basketball front and center in the population centers that are relatively close to increase fan interest and visibility.

I used to love going to A10 tournament double headers there with my dad. An amazing environment for basketball. Hope they continue hosting psu games annually so I can take my son when he gets older.

Reactions: Bob78 and LionJim
They want to be in Philadelphia as opposed to Hershey or Allentown for recruiting purposes primarily... or more so than just for fans' convenience.

Back around the late 70s early 80s they played a few games in Hershey. Once vs. a good Maryland team in a close game but a loss for PSU. PSU invited Sam Bowie as a recruit. He was from nearby Lebanon PA.

Quick note for the young'uns here:
Bowie went to Kentucky, had very good college career, gor drafted ahead of Michael Jordan :eek:, but injuries derailed his NBA career.

It was a great atmosphere. Hot and loud as hell. Great win for us too. Would definitely go again if we play there again.

The big five coach’s and teams are not in favor of it because it adds PSU presence to the region. They don’t need that. Fortunately, Penn administrators don’t agree...

I used to love going to A10 tournament double headers there with my dad. An amazing environment for basketball. Hope they continue hosting psu games annually so I can take my son when he gets older.

I have a friend who used to work for the A10. This is like 25ish years ago. She would invite me to help with the media admin stuff during the A10 tournaments. The first one I went to was at the old Civic Center, which I think was razed about 15 years ago or so. What a fun and funky old place for basketball, and knowing the Sixers and Celtics with Wilt and Russell faced off there many many times just added to the mystique of the place. Great fun at the tournament, the work was minimal, I had to be at all the games, so like 4 days worth because every team got into the tournament. The first year was one of UMass's big seasons under John Calipari and with Marcus Camby and a couple other very good players. They beat Temple for the title. Bill Cosby was there, and even stole my courtside seat when I was running an errand. Grrr,

The next year it was in the Spectrum. St. Joe's had a great season that year under Phil Martelli and won the A10 tournament. It was a hoot (so to speak! Ha!). I had to collect the starting lineups from the coaches and then get them to the PA announcer as part of my job. My job was mostly just free bball games and good buffets and getting to meet coaches and players. Some admin duties such as running stats to coaches and media, etc. Sign me up anytime.

I mingled with the media peeps, mostly listening and laughing with/at them. I recall they had an incredible capacity for gossip, some of it related as interesting stories, and other times just catty bs. I even got to vote with the media in the polls for tournament MVPs.

I recall that Scott Graham and Neil Hartman were especially nice guys. They did a gig with Big Daddy Graham back then, who was bit full of himself and his local celebrity status. But Hartman and Scott Graham asked me who I was since I wasn't part of the usual media, and invited me to hang with them some. Fun stuff. I think Scott Graham still does some voice work for NFL Films? Maybe not anymore.

Happy memories.

Last edited:
Just got back and it was fantastic. It was about 130 degrees and no one cared. I was lucky enough to to see them play in rec hall and then make the transition to the BJC. I understand all the different things you can do with the BJC but there is nothing like playing in an environment like that. Having about 8,500 fans loud and totally into a game. Take that same amount and put them in the BJC and it’s just not the same.

My 13 year old son said on the way home “we’ve been to a bunch of sixers big playoff games that were loud but that was WAY different. Best game I’ve ever been to. I felt like we could actually affect the game because of how loud it was in there”.

I won’t ever miss another PSU game at the Palestra!
My 13 yo son etc etc way to go dad. AWESOME

Reactions: jmorovich and psu00
Just got home as we went into the city for dinner. Great game by our guys. I have had my issues with Chambers but that was a well coached game today. As others have said is was hot and loud, my ears are still ringing, but a great college basketball game. As cool as White Outs are, a college bb game with a enthusiastic crowd is still the best. The BJC ain’t the Palestra, but nothing is, if we could be consistently good and have the place 80% full, what fun it would be.

They could play any of the Big 5 schools there with the exception of Villanova. I think that game would draw enough interest to force it to be played at the Wells Fargo Center.
Jay Wright is too much of a wimp to play PSU......

Just got home from the game. A few observations.
1. For the day, West Philly became Nittany Nation. Anywhere you were walking and you saw PSU people. All the university city area bars and restaurants were packed with PSU folks. Pretty darn cool for a PSU hoops game.
2. Went to the alumni event at City Tap House for a short time. Pretty crowded, nice event.
3. Palestra was electric. Packed to the rafters, really loud, great atmosphere. But darn, it was hot. I mean blazing hot and humid.
4. Personally, I am now 3-1 for PSU at the Palestra dating all the way back to 1989 when I saw #4 PSU beat #1 WVU by 22 in the A10 semifinals. Remember it like it was yesterday. A snowstorm hit Philly that day. About 6-8 inches of snow brought the city to a halt. Took the septa train from Villanova for the game w/ a couple of buddies. Nobody there, we scalped tix for $5 out front and had a fun night. Also some them beat MSU 3 years ago saw a loss to LaSalle early in Chambers era.
5. Really thought PSU was in trouble today when they got down 7 and Stevens/Watkins were in foul trouble. Brockington saved the day. He made some HUGE shots to keep them in it.
6. Iowa's Garza is really good. We had no answer for him. Harrar probably did the best job on him today but he still got owned.
7. Curtis Jones also hit a couple of really important 3s. He is a great asset off the bench. His contribution today shouldn't go unnoticed.

Just got home from the game. A few observations.
1. For the day, West Philly became Nittany Nation. Anywhere you were walking and you saw PSU people. All the university city area bars and restaurants were packed with PSU folks. Pretty darn cool for a PSU hoops game.
2. Went to the alumni event at City Tap House for a short time. Pretty crowded, nice event.
3. Palestra was electric. Packed to the rafters, really loud, great atmosphere. But darn, it was hot. I mean blazing hot and humid.
4. Personally, I am now 3-1 for PSU at the Palestra dating all the way back to 1989 when I saw #4 PSU beat #1 WVU by 22 in the A10 semifinals. Remember it like it was yesterday. A snowstorm hit Philly that day. About 6-8 inches of snow brought the city to a halt. Took the septa train from Villanova for the game w/ a couple of buddies. Nobody there, we scalped tix for $5 out front and had a fun night. Also some them beat MSU 3 years ago saw a loss to LaSalle early in Chambers era.
5. Really thought PSU was in trouble today when they got down 7 and Stevens/Watkins were in foul trouble. Brockington saved the day. He made some HUGE shots to keep them in it.
6. Iowa's Garza is really good. We had no answer for him. Harrar probably did the best job on him today but he still got owned.
7. Curtis Jones also hit a couple of really important 3s. He is a great asset off the bench. His contribution today shouldn't go unnoticed.
A packed Palestra is always stifling. I’ve been to probably 50+ games there (was Penn undergrad) and on cold nights you’d come out of there steaming and not needing a coat for 15 minutes.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT