ADVERTISEMENT

Official Transfer Portal Thread

As a poster typed last night in the separate thread about his return, the "short term sacrifices" could be the fact he will be away from his child during this time. To me, yes, that is a sacrifice.

OL
I think if you are looking to be offended chances are you will discover something, somewhere, somehow. I agree that short term sacrifices could be a myriad of issues. I'm glad to see Wade back. Who didn't have rough edges in their youth......hell read this forum......
He is a force on special teams, hits like a truck and has experience. Football is a game of attrition. The team you start with is rarely the same you finish with. He makes PSU better.

Nothing unusual with a 20 year old being impulsive........
FIFY

Impulsive is still impulsive.
Sometimes it’s good to act on impulse. Heck, sometimes it’s good to tell someone in an authority position to shove it. But...

Either he and Franklin had a talk, which was positive, or he is now taking the risk of playing without a scholarship. My guess is 99% that Franklin gave him back his scholarship in the Fall.

I bet nearly all the players in the transfer portal are in more or less continuous communication with the coaching staff. For someone like Wade maybe it's a little like the Tommy Stevens situation -- if there is a school out there that can offer them a starting position, great, but if not, Franklin still wants them on the team.

But most of these guys are juniors or seniors who have earned their PSU degree and are not slated to play in 2019, so essentially their football career at PSU is over. And this isn't entirely new. 10 years ago at this time, Paterno & staff would be telling the seniors who would be invited back for a 5th year. It was only if the player was a starter or going to be a significant contributor. Not everybody got a fifth year scholarship. Now, with early graduations and the transfer portal, that process just happens earlier.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
As a poster typed last night in the separate thread about his return, the "short term sacrifices" could be the fact he will be away from his child during this time. To me, yes, that is a sacrifice.

OL

If that's what he meant, I agree.

I bet nearly all the players in the transfer portal are in more or less continuous communication with the coaching staff. For someone like Wade maybe it's a little like the Tommy Stevens situation -- if there is a school out there that can offer them a starting position, great, but if not, Franklin still wants them on the team.

But most of these guys are juniors or seniors who have earned their PSU degree and are not slated to play in 2019, so essentially their football career at PSU is over. And this isn't entirely new. 10 years ago at this time, Paterno & staff would be telling the seniors who would be invited back for a 5th year. It was only if the player was a starter or going to be a significant contributor. Not everybody got a fifth year scholarship. Now, with early graduations and the transfer portal, that process just happens earlier.

Whether "in communication" or not, especially this close to signing day, your scholarship is really up for grabs. You take a gargantuan risk. The coaching staff has no room for error. You go into the portal, you lose your leverage and could be SOOL.

The team needs the numbers, and the coaching staff isn't going to risk leaving themselves high and dry just to save your spot if you change your mind down the road. They aren't going to pass on a quality recruit just to be a nice guys. They can't take that chance if they want to be successful. That's why the lockers are cleaned out once you declare. They are sending a message, and it's strong. You declare, you are no longer one of us.

Of course the coaching staff can take you back and reinstate your scholarship if they want to, but now, they don't have to.

Reactions: 81b&w
Looks like CJF will be trying to fill some scholarships with GT's later this Spring....

Penn State to host Virginia Tech grad transfer receiver in April
Updated Jan 28, 7:49 PM; Posted Jan 28, 7:49 PM
5H4QDP22BBCTXHVJ47E2FK56TM.jpg

Virginia Tech Hokies wide receiver Eric Kumah (83) celebrates his 49 yard catch and touchdown against Florida State in the 4th quarter of an NCAA college football game in Tallahassee, Fla., Monday, Sept. 3, 2018. Virginia Tech defeated Florida State 24-3. (AP Photo/Mark Wallheiser) (Mark Wallheiser)
By Greg Pickel | gpickel@pennlive.com

Penn State will host a graduate transfer from Virginia Tech in early April.

Former Hokies receiver Eric Kumah announced on social media Monday that he will check out the Lions April 6, which is the Saturday before this year’s Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium.

The Lions recruited Kumah, from Woodbridge, Va., back when he was a three-star recruit in the Class of 2016 before he ultimately picked VT. There, he hauled in 70 passes for 883 yards and nine scores over two seasons on the field. He redshirted as a true freshman.

EK3@Eric_Kumah11

Official Visit to Penn State April 6th
1f976.png
270a-1f3fd.png
#WeAre

Kumah, who stands 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, shares a hometown with Penn State running back Ricky Slade. Because he redshirted, he’ll have two seasons to play at the school of his choice.

The Lions have plenty of room to add graduate transfers after losing at least 10 players to transfer following the 2018 season and double that to graduation while signing 19 players to their Class of 2019 back in December. At least one more, end Smith Vilbert, will sign on the traditional Signing Day Feb. 6, and Penn State is expected to add to that total between now and then.

If he selects PSU, Kumah would become one of the oldest receivers in first-year position coach Gerad Parker’s room, as the Lions lost DeAndre Thompkins to graduation while Juwan Johnson and Brandon Polk are grad transferring out of the program after the spring semester.

Looks like CJF will be trying to fill some scholarships with GT's later this Spring....

Penn State to host Virginia Tech grad transfer receiver in April
Updated Jan 28, 7:49 PM; Posted Jan 28, 7:49 PM
5H4QDP22BBCTXHVJ47E2FK56TM.jpg

Virginia Tech Hokies wide receiver Eric Kumah (83) celebrates his 49 yard catch and touchdown against Florida State in the 4th quarter of an NCAA college football game in Tallahassee, Fla., Monday, Sept. 3, 2018. Virginia Tech defeated Florida State 24-3. (AP Photo/Mark Wallheiser) (Mark Wallheiser)
By Greg Pickel | gpickel@pennlive.com

Penn State will host a graduate transfer from Virginia Tech in early April.

Former Hokies receiver Eric Kumah announced on social media Monday that he will check out the Lions April 6, which is the Saturday before this year’s Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium.

The Lions recruited Kumah, from Woodbridge, Va., back when he was a three-star recruit in the Class of 2016 before he ultimately picked VT. There, he hauled in 70 passes for 883 yards and nine scores over two seasons on the field. He redshirted as a true freshman.

EK3@Eric_Kumah11

Official Visit to Penn State April 6th
1f976.png
270a-1f3fd.png
#WeAre

Kumah, who stands 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, shares a hometown with Penn State running back Ricky Slade. Because he redshirted, he’ll have two seasons to play at the school of his choice.

The Lions have plenty of room to add graduate transfers after losing at least 10 players to transfer following the 2018 season and double that to graduation while signing 19 players to their Class of 2019 back in December. At least one more, end Smith Vilbert, will sign on the traditional Signing Day Feb. 6, and Penn State is expected to add to that total between now and then.

If he selects PSU, Kumah would become one of the oldest receivers in first-year position coach Gerad Parker’s room, as the Lions lost DeAndre Thompkins to graduation while Juwan Johnson and Brandon Polk are grad transferring out of the program after the spring semester.

Looks like he is expecting some cold weather in April. : ^ )

Just noticed that Maryland's Kasim Hill is in the portal. Wasn't he pretty highly sought after by CJF coming out of H.S.? 2017 class so he won't be a Grad Transfer. Duzzy may be chasing him now....

Former? PSU players still in the portal and still reported as undecided:
1. Mark Allen, RB
2. Irv Charles, WR
3. Brandon Polk, WR
4. Cam Sullivan-Brown, WR
5. Alex Gellerstadt, OL
6. Ayron Monroe, DB

I believe there have been rumblings about interest in Gellerstadt, but I'd like to see both Gellerstadt and Monroe return to PSU. CSB, as well, but he should get somewhere for Spring practice if he wants to get PT in 2019 where ever he ends up...

Great to see Mark Allen in the portal. Best wishes for him and I hope he finishes a graduate degree is he already hasn't.....

Last edited:
Just noticed that Maryland's Kasim Hill is in the portal. Wasn't he pretty highly sought after by CJF coming out of H.S.? 2017 class so he won't be a Grad Transfer. Duzzy may be chasing him now....

1. Mark Allen, RB
2. Irv Charles, WR
3. Brandon Polk, WR
5. Alex Gellerstadt, OL
6. Ayron Monroe, DB

I believe there have been rumblings about interest in Gellerstadt, but I'd like to see both Gellerstadt and Monroe return to PSU. CSB, as well, but he should get somewhere for Spring practice if he wants to get PT in 2019 where ever he ends up...

Great to see Mark Allen in the portal. Best wishes for him and I hope he finishes a graduate degree is he already hasn't.....

Hill has been there for a couple of weeks.
I think Irv Charles has given up on football, at least thats what I heard.
I thought Alex was already going to UVA?
Agree I'd like to see both of them return as well.

1. Mark Allen, RB
2. Irv Charles, WR
3. Brandon Polk, WR
5. Alex Gellerstadt, OL
6. Ayron Monroe, DB

I am pretty sure there have been several articles confirming AG to UVA.

Well, he's already listed on their roster, so I'd say that is pretty official

https://virginiasports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6577

Yep, it looks pretty official. Your link is to a signing day 2019 bio that mistakenly lists him as a freshman, but explains his 2 years of eligibility remaining. UVA could use some help with updating their site as their roster does not include Gellerstadt yet....

The latest 247 update shows that Ayron Monroe has not landed on another roster. Any updates on programs he's considering or indications that he will follow Wade and Sullivan-Brown back home?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Did anyone else notice that the 2019 247 commitment list now includes Wade, Campbell, and CSB? It was mentioned here that someone believed the incoming transfers counted against the yearly scholarship limit. If that's the case it will be interesting to see how CJF approaches it, as he will be weighing their return against his ability to bring in possibly a better player as a recruit. This year caught CJF off guard somewhat, and some of the experienced depth particularly for special teams will help. Going forward that may not be the case.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice that the 2019 247 commitment list now includes Wade, Campbell, and CSB? It was mentioned here that someone believed the incoming transfers counted against the yearly scholarship limit. If that's the case I don't look for CJF to take too many back going forward, as he will be weighing their return against his ability to bring in possibly a better player as a recruit. This year caught CJF off guard somewhat, and some of the experienced depth particularly for special teams will help. Going forward that may not be the case.

Transfers coming from another school count against the 25. Players returning from the portal (that just sounds too weird) do not. Campbell counts. Wade and Sullivan-Brown do not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT