ADVERTISEMENT

Official Transfer Portal Thread

Anyone have a link to the portal or a breakdown in number of athletes per school in the portal?

Welcome to the portal
giphy.gif

Meant to say former PSU WR Irvin Charles still has not been picked up.

I was in State College last Friday afternoon before the hockey game.. and for pregame drinks I was walking towards Mad Mex with a friend and saw Irv Charles walking the opposite side of the street on Pugh. I wasn't aware he was still on campus. He had a backpack on and looked to be headed to campus. Good for him.

1 hour after seeing him, the Juwan news broke :eek:

Reactions: step.eng69
I was in State College last Friday afternoon before the hockey game.. and for pregame drinks I was walking towards Mad Mex with a friend and saw Irv Charles walking the opposite side of the street on Pugh. I wasn't aware he was still on campus. He had a backpack on and looked to be headed to campus. Good for him.

1 hour after seeing him, the Juwan news broke :eek:

Irv is still looking to finish his degree.

Reactions: Kmase21
Let’s make this easier to follow

Make it very simple, let any kid transfer for any reason after the season is completed and must be in good academic standing at the time. Period!

Coaches and fans do not need the headaches associated with a dissatisfied player. Just like any other regular student who has a scholarship and wants to leave or a professor/administrator/coach/custodian/etc.

Byebye! Good luck! Someone else will fill your space.

UCF & Miami are not wasting time, while Illinois get some and loses some.
Really helps Illinois in travel costs. No longer need to book flights for 9 people and hotel rooms to be able to camp out at other NCAA institutions in an attempt to snap student-athletes.

Reactions: psu00
Make it very simple, let any kid transfer for any reason after the season is completed and must be in good academic standing at the time. Period!

Coaches and fans do not need the headaches associated with a dissatisfied player. Just like any other regular student who has a scholarship and wants to leave or a professor/administrator/coach/custodian/etc.

Byebye! Good luck! Someone else will fill your space.
why can't kids who are not in good academic standing transfer? that's just dumb .... these kids are some of the ones who may benefit the most (academically) from a change of scenery

Remember back in 2012/2013 when we had, like, almost sixty scholarship players available?

Ah, those were the days... :confused:
All kidding aside, not that I'm a fan of Mike Tomlin, but earlier this year when dealing with the Lev Bell situation he said "We want volunteers, not hostages". I feel the same way about these guys. I'd rather have 72 guys happy to be at PSU than 85 with a dozen or so that make the locker room uneasy.

Could it be that he stayed at PSU academically but wasn't on the squad so he technically sat out a year? If so he can start somewhere immediately I would guess.

You would guess wrong. Player has to be enrolled for a year at the school to which he transferred to become eligible.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
So according to that list-

Penn St- 8
Ohio St- 2
Michigan- 2
Michigan St- 0
Iowa- 3
Wisconsin- 0

Clemson- 1
Alabama- 1
Georgia- 2

Last year Michigan had 7 transfers, so it’s not unheard of. Save for Johnson and Polk most of the transfers either played very little or were special teamers. I’m not a recruiting guru, but here’s my take on the transfers. Please correct any errors. Most of the transfers are understandable:

Wade - A lot of people say Wade was going to compete for a starting safety spot, but if that were the case I think we would have seen him play more than he did this year. Fact is Wade has Sutherland, Taylor, incoming 4 star Tyler Rudolph and incoming JUCO player Brisker to compete against. When he did get to play he appeared to be slow to the play, but the kid can tackle. I’m not too sure, however, that he has the speed for this level.

Ayron Monroe is set to graduate in the spring and had a chance to compete for a staring spot. After spending his whole college career at Penn State he now looks to transfer for one season - this one is perplexing.

Gellerstedt- Buried on depth chart.

Dalton - Buried on delth chart.

Polk - Passed up by true freshman. Played less and less as the year went on. I think he saw the writing on the wall.

Johnson - Big physical specimen but his numbers aren’t impressive. Has one more year left and clearly feels he’s not going to get the chance at Penn State to have the breakout season that I think he’s looking for.

Jenkins - Never able to crack the rotation. Unlikely to do so at this point so why not give it a go elsewhere?

Darien - Family issues.

Faison-Walden - He’s been buried on the depth chart. Maybe doesn’t see a lot of opportunity to play? Most of the backers are young and five star Smith and four star Dixon will be freshman next year and added to the mix.

McPherson - Junior last year with sophomore eligibility. Don’t get this one either. Maybe didn’t see much opportunity to play though from what I’ve read he was moving up the depth chart.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and bmw199
Let's play a game! It's called guess where the Penn State Transfer will end up!

Wade- Penn State- I think he sticks in the end.
Monroe- Maryland
Gellerstedt- Eastern Kentucky
Dalton- UMass
Polk- Old Dominion
Juwan Johnson- Mississippi State
Jenkins- Duquense
Darien- Bowie State
Faison-Walden- Charlotte
McPherson- Maryland

Last year Michigan had 7 transfers, so it’s not unheard of. Save for Johnson and Polk most of the transfers either played very little or were special teamers. I’m not a recruiting guru, but here’s my take on the transfers. Please correct any errors. Most of the transfers are understandable:

Wade - A lot of people say Wade was going to compete for a starting safety spot, but if that were the case I think we would have seen him play more than he did this year. Fact is Wade has Sutherland, Taylor, incoming 4 star Tyler Rudolph and incoming JUCO player Brisker to compete against. When he did get to play he appeared to be slow to the play, but the kid can tackle. I’m not too sure, however, that he has the speed for this level.

Ayron Monroe is set to graduate in the spring and had a chance to compete for a staring spot. After spending his whole college career at Penn State he now looks to transfer for one season - this one is perplexing.

Gellerstedt- Buried on depth chart.

Dalton - Buried on delth chart.

Polk - Passed up by true freshman. Played less and less as the year went on. I think he saw the writing on the wall.

Johnson - Big physical specimen but his numbers aren’t impressive. Has one more year left and clearly feels he’s not going to get the chance at Penn State to have the breakout season that I think he’s looking for.

Jenkins - Never able to crack the rotation. Unlikely to do so at this point so why not give it a go elsewhere?

Darien - Family issues.

Faison-Walden - He’s been buried on the depth chart. Maybe doesn’t see a lot of opportunity to play? Most of the backers are young and five star Smith and four star Dixon will be freshman next year and added to the mix.

McPherson - Junior last year with sophomore eligibility. Don’t get this one either. Maybe didn’t see much opportunity to play though from what I’ve read he was moving up the depth chart.

I believe you nailed it pretty well.

I thought Monroe looked quick and played well when I saw him, but that was mainly B/W games and obviously I didn't see him practice. But he seemed to never make a move up the depth chart, like some of the others. And with Brisker and at least one top true freshman that likely expect to play he would have had his work cut out for him to see real significant playing time as a 5th year Senior.

Pretty much the same for McPherson. Sure he was maybe 4th when you look at just returning players with experience. But Gordon is highly regarded and with the CB's coming in as true freshmen it seems that he could more than likely have been pushed further down, rather than moving up, the depth chart..........

URL for NCAA Transfer Portal:
(Good luck logging in or getting access as a fair weather fan)

https://sso.ncaa.org/login?service=https://web1.ncaa.org/saTransfer/login/cas

----------

As of October 16, 2018 (Day after Portal was opened, there were 230 football player names in the portal.

As of January 10, 2019 there were 1608 football players in the portal.

Hopefully some of you negative Nellie's will have some closure and facts to include in your continued the sky is falling conversations.

:mad::rolleyes::D

Reactions: JJTopp99 and bmw199
Transfers count the same as a high school senior when tallying the 25 man class. I'm not sure how all these kids can possibly find a landing spot in FBS. A lot of these transfer spots will be filled by high school kids. Some kids will either have to stick it out at their current schools or drop down a level.

Let's play a game! It's called guess where the Penn State Transfer will end up!

Wade- Penn State- I think he sticks in the end.
Monroe- Maryland
Gellerstedt- Eastern Kentucky
Dalton- UMass
Polk- Old Dominion
Juwan Johnson- Mississippi State
Jenkins- Duquense
Darien- Bowie State
Faison-Walden- Charlotte
McPherson- Maryland

Wade to Pitt. He likes attention, even if it's negative.

Reactions: Texas Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT