ADVERTISEMENT

Official Transfer Portal Thread

Hey, we're looking to fill our roster back up, any player that entered the portal might end up disappointed. Being the first year it's gonna be interesting how it all shakes out

Last edited:
how many of the "undecided" are actually "no offers"? Seems a risky move for a college kid, if they end up with no offers and burned the bridge at original school
Exactly. At some point, reality is going to hit with some of these kids. They’re going to face competition wherever they go. Welcome to the real world. Not every school has a spot open to take them in. Nobody is going to hand them a starting spot unless maybe they transfer to a lower level of college football.

Here is my dream 2019 WR line-up when PSU goes empty backfield with a 5-wide package

Shorter - Hamlin .......... Johnson* - Charles* - Dotson

I can only hope that Sean Clifford can find someone open amongst those five. :)

* currently available in the “Portal”

Last edited:
Goes without saying recruiting services love this shiny new monetize-able toy that dropped in their lap.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/

Quarterback

Kelly Bryant, Clemson - Missouri
Justin Fields, Georgia - Ohio State
Ben Hicks, SMU - Arkansas
John Langan, Boston College - Rutgers
Devon Modster, UCLA - California
Riley Neal, Ball State - Vanderbilt
Shawn Robinson, TCU - Missouri
Jordan Travis, Louisville - Florida State
Jack Tuttle, Utah - Indiana
Brandon Wimbush, Notre Dame - UCF
Alex Delton, Kansas State - TCU
Tate Martell, Ohio State - Miami
Jalen Hurts, Alabama - Oklahoma
Austin Kendall, Oklahoma - West Virginia
Cameron Rising, Texas - Utah

Undecided

Ross Bowers, Cal
Ty Storey, Arkansas
Braxton Burmeister, Oregon
Shane Buechele, Texas
Nick Starkel, Texas A&M
Josh Jackson, Virginia Tech
Keondre Wudtee, Oklahoma State

Running Back
James Gilbert, Ball State - Kansas State
Trey Sneed, Rutgers - Fordham
Asa Martin, Auburn - Miami
Toneil Carter, Texas - Sam Houston State

Undecided

Greg Bell, Nebraska
Riley Burt, BYU
Mitch McNutt, Illinois
Craig Nelson, Indiana
Amir Rasul, Florida State
Trey Smith, Louisville
Charles Strong, Texas A&M
Ty'Son Williams, South Carolina
Kyle Porter, Texas
Tristian Houston, Texas
Brandon Stephens, UCLA
Caleb Perry, Washington State
Deshawn McClease, Virginia Tech
Max Anthony, Rutgers
Eric Swinney, Ole Miss

Wide Receiver
A.D. Miller, Oklahoma - Illinois
K.J. Osborn, Buffalo - Miami
Nate Craig-Myers, Auburn - Colorado State

Undecided

Lawrence Cager, Miami
Irvin Charles, Penn State
Charlie Fessler, Northwestern
Benaiah Franklin, Purdue
Carmoni Green, Illinois
Justin McGriff, Nebraska
Keith Mixon, Mississippi State
Sean Savoy, Virginia Tech
Montel Parker, Texas A&M
Juwan Johnson, Penn State
George Campbell, Florida State
Griffin King, Auburn
Brandon Polk, Penn State
Eric Kumah, Virginia Tech
Keyston Fuller, Duke
Marquez Ezzard, Miami
Benaiah Franklin, Purdue
Audie Omotosho, UCLA
Samuel Denmark, Virginia Tech
Rashad Blunt, Rutgers
Bru McCoy, USC
Tavin Richardson, Kentucky

Tight End
Tyler Davis, UConn - Georgia Tech
Luke Ford, Georgia - Illinois
Jalen Harris, Auburn - Colorado
Danny Dalton,Penn State - Boston College
Austin Dorris, Indiana - Bowling GreenJay Jay Wilson, Arizona State - Auburn
Matt Alaimo, UCLA - Rutgers

Undecided

Lou Dorsey, Illinois
Christian Roberson, Mississippi State
Eli Wolf, Tennessee
Naseir Upshur, Florida State
Chris Cunningham, Virginia Tech
Kyle Penniston, Wisconsin
Nakia Griffin-Stewart, Rutgers

Offensive Line
Nathan Eldridge, Arizona - Oregon State
Tommy Kennedy, Butler - Miami
Richie Petitbon, Alabama - Illinois

Undecided

Alex Gellerstedt, Penn State
Zeke Martin, Illinois
RJ Proctor, Virginia
Drew Richmond, Tennessee
Reuben Unije, Illinois
T.J. McCoy, Florida
Larry Boyd, Illinois
Andrew Trainer, Illinois
Jonah Jackson, Rutgers

Defensive Line
Darrion Daniels, Oklahoma State - Nebraska
Miles Fox, Old Dominion - Wake Forest
Cameron Goode, Virginia Tech - UCF
Aubrey Solomon, Michigan - Tennessee
Chigozie Nnoruka, UCLA - Miami
Shameik Blackshear, South Carolina - TCU

Undecided

Malik Barrow Ohio State
Trevon Hill, Virginia Tech
Daviyon Nixon, Iowa
Jauntavius Johnson, AuburnZach Abercrumbia, Rice

Linebacker
Drew Singleton, Michigan - Rutgers
Aundre Kearney, Virginia Tech - UCF
Levi Jones, USC - NC State
Jonathan Greenard, Louisville - Florida
Jarvis Miller, Penn State - UMass

Undecided

Oluwole Betiku Jr., USC
Dae'Lun Darien, Penn State
Aaron Mends, Iowa
Jaelan Phillips, UCLA
Guy Thomas, Nebraska
Kam Jones, Louisville
Nadarius Fagan, Syracuse
Keandre Jones, Ohio State
Loren Mondy, Arizona State
Austin Smith, Tennessee

Defensive Back
Bubba Bolden, USC - Miami
Isaiah Humphries, Penn State - Cal
Jordan Hayes, Duke - UCF
Deangelo Gibbs Georgia - Tennessee
Jordan Moore, Texas A&M - Houston
Brandon Feamster, Duke - Richmond

Undecided

Jarius Adams, Rutgers
Trey Creamer, Iowa
Zaire Jones, Vanderbilt
Qwuantrezz Knight, Maryland
Ykili Ross, USC
Jack Leius, Minnesota
Marcus Lewis, Maryland
Bennett Williams, Illinois
Ayron Monroe, Penn State
Cameron Watkins, Illinois
Spencer Perry, South Alabama (former Notre Dame player)
Lamont Wade, Penn State
Nate Dalton, Arkansas
Nick Harvey - South Carolina
Antonio Parks, Arizona
E.J. Thomas, Kansas State
Devante Smith, Virginia Tech

Daelin darian is going to delaware

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Which 4* besides Wade and JJ?
Starting to wonder if there might be some "regret" on the part of Wade. A man with many responsibilities and yet still very much a kid. Franklin demonstrated some wisdom in "excommunicating" Parsons and then welcoming back the prodigal son, when the timing was right. I think (unless he goes MAC) LM isn't going to be guaranteed any more playing than he will get here, elsewhere. Unless there is something more than the depth chart.....I wonder if there could be rapprochement in the offing?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Starting to wonder if there might be some "regret" on the part of Wade. A man with many responsibilities and yet still very much a kid. Franklin demonstrated some wisdom in "excommunicating" Parsons and then welcoming back the prodigal son, when the timing was right. I think (unless he goes MAC) LM isn't going to be guaranteed any more playing than he will get here, elsewhere. Unless there is something more than the depth chart.....I wonder if there could be rapprochement in the offing?

What do you make of "this wasn't my decision" tweet by Wade?

I believe that Wade is simply testing the transfer market to see if there is a better opportunity for him elsewhere. He still believes he is a 5 star talent who has a strong desire to get to the NFL. He realizes a starting job is going to be tough at Penn State, so that is why he is looking for a better opportunity to get a starting job in order to get to the NFL. The “this wasn’t my decision” quote was accompanied by a picture of his empty football locker, so my belief is that he was told to clean out his locker since he had entered the transfer portal. He still posts pictures of himself in Penn State attire so I think he is truly torn about what to do. He may end up staying at Penn State, which is why we have not seen a formal transfer announcement from Wade.

I only know the alleged.... Wade entered the portal and was shocked when his locker was cleaned out. So my take is he thought he could see if there was a better offer and still maintain his spot here. So in that respect, it wasn't his choice.

I believe that Wade is simply testing the transfer market to see if there is a better opportunity for him elsewhere. He still believes he is a 5 star talent who has a strong desire to get to the NFL. He realizes a starting job is going to be tough at Penn State, so that is why he is looking for a better opportunity to get a starting job in order to get to the NFL. The “this wasn’t my decision” quote was accompanied by a picture of his empty football locker, so my belief is that he was told to clean out his locker since he had entered the transfer portal. He still posts pictures of himself in Penn State attire so I think he is truly torn about what to do. He may end up staying at Penn State, which is why we have not seen a formal transfer announcement from Wade.

Lot's of pressure on this young man. Trying to live up to his high school star power, likely torn in different directions as a too young father, shouldering expectations to earn a big payday to uplift his family etc. Due to NCAA rules there is a limit to how much people can help him............ All of this while simply trying to grow up himself. I really feel sorry for him. He is the one portal player I hope can be salvaged here and gets a degree and can find a career path ready and waiting when football ends. I don't think he can find someone more caring the CJF and Coach Terry.

Last edited:
I only know the alleged.... Wade entered the portal and was shocked when his locker was cleaned out. So my take is he thought he could see if there was a better offer and still maintain his spot here. So in that respect, it wasn't his choice.

"So my take is he thought he could see if there was a better offer and still maintain his spot here."

Thats like telling your girlfriend or wife you want to be with her, but you are going to take a quick look around to see if there is something better out there....

"So my take is he thought he could see if there was a better offer and still maintain his spot here."

Thats like telling your girlfriend or wife you want to be with her, but you are going to take a quick look around to see if there is something better out there....
And, if your girlfriend/wife "cleans out your locker", it wasn't your decision?

There used to be a B10 rule that if you transfer in conference you have to sit two years. I know that was waived by Ferenz for Ruddock a few years ago. So does the portal eliminate that rule or any rule blocking players from transferring to certain schools or within the conference?

There used to be a B10 rule that if you transfer in conference you have to sit two years. I know that was waived by Ferenz for Ruddock a few years ago. So does the portal eliminate that rule or any rule blocking players from transferring to certain schools or within the conference?

Intra-conference transfer rules are the same as NCAA rules.

even though he is in the portal, doesn't the player (in this case Lamont) still have to make the initial contact?? that is the way transfers have worked without a portal. not sure why a portal would make any difference in contact rules.

even though he is in the portal, doesn't the player (in this case Lamont) still have to make the initial contact?? that is the way transfers have worked without a portal. not sure why a portal would make any difference in contact rules.
The portal is a clearinghouse somewhat like one stop shopping. It allows all schools access to players more rapidly. And I do believe that under the portals rules schools may initiate contact. But I’m sure that a few posters more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly to explain all the nuances.

The portal is a clearinghouse somewhat like one stop shopping. It allows all schools access to players more rapidly. And I do believe that under the portals rules schools may initiate contact. But I’m sure that a few posters more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly to explain all the nuances.

if they can actually contact the players, then the players must have been "released" in some manner from their current schools. otherwise, it would be no different than Coach Franklin seeing a player he likes on Maryland and just contacting them. without the portal you could not do that - Auburn had a near violation like that a couple years ago.

if they get "released" then how do they return to teams?

They can stay, but the school can decide to not bring them back. To me this creates the bigger problem. A kid enters the portal and finds he is not the hot commodity he had expected. The school signs more players based on the expected attrition and has more players wanting to come back. How do they decide who they take back? I would imagine the kids who would contribute the most is the obvious answer, but it will leave kids without a place to play. Instead of being 2nd string on a P5 team, they find themselves looking at playing for a FCS team.

Reactions: grinagrin
if they can actually contact the players, then the players must have been "released" in some manner from their current schools. otherwise, it would be no different than Coach Franklin seeing a player he likes on Maryland and just contacting them. without the portal you could not do that - Auburn had a near violation like that a couple years ago.

if they get "released" then how do they return to teams?
God, I hate discussing something I’m not totally sure of, but I believe you’re premise is outdated. True players under scholarship to other schools may not be contacted by rival coaches without a release. Don’t view the players in the portal as released, but rather temporarily in “ limbo “. This allows the players to evaluate their options more freely. However, if they don’t receive an offer or choose to remain in their original school they are now in a precarious situation. The coach at the school they wanted to transfer from has the sole option to renew their scholarship or not. This is my understanding. Once again I believe that a more knowledgeable or interested poster could provide links to clear up any uncertainties.

God, I hate discussing something I’m not totally sure of, but I believe you’re premise is outdated. True players under scholarship to other schools may not be contacted by rival coaches without a release. Don’t view the players in the portal as released, but rather temporarily in “ limbo “. This allows the players to evaluate their options more freely. However, if they don’t receive an offer or choose to remain in their original school they are now in a precarious situation. The coach at the school they wanted to transfer from has the sole option to renew their scholarship or not. This is my understanding. Once again I believe that a more knowledgeable or interested poster could provide links to clear up any uncertainties.
I was listening to a podcast about how non-graduate transfers happened pre-portal. Everything went through the high school coach. The player who wanted to transfer contacted his HS coach. The coach then sent out feelers to schools to see if there was interest, and acted as an intermediary. The portal now takes the HS coach out of the picture and provides greater transparency.

That's also how I understand it - i.e. that players once they are in the portal can be contacted by interested coaches. And that once a player enters the portal that player has given up his scholarship where he has been. So it's only reasonable that the player has given up his privileges at his original school, such as his locker, training table privileges,.... So Wade, or any other of the PSU players that have gone into the portal, would have to ask for a scholarship if they change their mind due to there not being interest by another coach/school that needs their expectations for a better situation.

Does anyone have a current list of the PSU players that entered the portal but have not yet found a new school?

I believe both Wade and Gellerstadt still have not found new schools, and both would add good depth if they some how were taken back by CJF. It seems Gellerstadt would have more value, with the limited depth at OT and the fact that young olinemen take longer to mature into effective players. Where as at Safety there is both returning players that will compete for the open starting spot (Sutherland and Petrishen), Brisker, and talented true freshmen that are legit contenders.

Interesting tidbit from PennLive regarding Wade: "The safety has also not put anything on social media to indicate one way or the other what he will do, outside of a Tuesday tweet suggesting he might want to play offense. Wade was a record setting running back in high school, so maybe he realizes he can't get to the NFL on defense, and that he may as well have more fun by playing RB at a school that plays lower levels of competition.... Who knows.... but it will come out eventually.

Last edited:

I think we may all recall how when PSU was sanctioned, the coach from other schools could directly contact our players to see if they would like a penalty free transfer. I believe we may recall the Illlinois coaching staff coming to SC to recruit players. The NCAA made a point that this contact was an exception to the standard rules regarding transfer players, as coach would not normally ever be allowed to contact a player who was officially on a roster of another school (Emmert, Aug 2012).

That's also how I understand it - i.e. that players once they are in the portal can be contacted by interested coaches. And that once a player enters the portal that player has given up his scholarship where he has been. So it's only reasonable that the player has given up his privileges at his original school, such as his locker, training table privileges,.... So Wade, or any other of the PSU players that have gone into the portal, would have to ask for a scholarship if they change their mind due to there not being interest by another coach/school that needs their expectations for a better situation.

Does anyone have a current list of the PSU players that entered the portal but have not yet found a new school?

I believe both Wade and Gellerstadt still have not found new schools, and both would add good depth if they some how were taken back by CJF. It seems Gellerstadt would have more value, with the limited depth at OT and the fact that young olinemen take longer to mature into effective players. Where as at Safety there is both returning players that will compete for the open starting spot (Sutherland and Petrishen), Brisker, and talented true freshmen that are legit contenders.

Interesting tidbit from PennLive regarding Wade: "The safety has also not put anything on social media to indicate one way or the other what he will do, outside of a Tuesday tweet suggesting he might want to play offense. Wade was a record setting running back in high school, so maybe he realizes he can't get to the NFL on defense, and that he may as well have more fun by playing RB at a school that plays lower levels of competition.... Who knows.... but it will come out eventually.

Explanation of Portal and rules:

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-transfer-portal-names-players-destinations-127866941/

247 Portal NCAAF Live:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/

Gellerstedt going to UVA. Beautiful campus and he must believe a better chance to play. Wish him the best!!

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...ex-gellerstedt-will-transfer-to-virginia.html

Penn State lineman Alex Gellerstedt will transfer to Virginia
Updated 6:10 PM; Posted 6:10 PM

By Greg Pickel | gpickel@pennlive.com

Penn State reserve offensive tackle Alex Gellerstedt will finish his career at Virginia after earning his degree this spring.

Gellerstedt played in just one game as a redshirt junior in 2018, but he was expected to compete for the open tackle job, vacated by early NFL Draft entree Ryan Bates, in 2019. Instead, Anthony Whigan, Rasheed Walker, and others will fight for that opportunity.

“I would like to thank Coach [James] Franklin for the opportunity to be a part of this great program,” Gellerstedt wrote in a statement announcing the news.

“In my time at Penn State I have made friends for life and had a chance to be a part of a truly special community.”

View image on Twitter

Alex Gellerstedt@alexgellerstedt

A member of the Lions' signing Class of 2016, Gellerstedt played in seven 2017 contests after redshirting during his first season on campus. Earning his degree will allow him to play for the Cavaliers immediately, and he joins a number of Penn State players in grad transferring, including receivers Juwan Johnson and Brandon Polk, corner Zech McPhearson, and tight end Danny Dalton, among others.

I wish it was a trade portal. Gellerstedt straight up for RJ Proctor would be perfect for us. Might even throw in a player to be named later.

I wish it was a trade portal. Gellerstedt straight up for RJ Proctor would be perfect for us. Might even throw in a player to be named later.

But it seems that the PSU roster has less OT's ready to play than interior olinemen...

Wade staying, so there is a chance of return. I guess it's open until they write their goodbye letter. Did JJ write his yet?

Article on Wade staying at PSU. Good news as I see it. Safety depth and special teams depth.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...-removes-name-from-transfer-portal-128389753/

Lamont Wade removes name from transfer portal
ByJORDAN JAMES 93 minutes ago
Penn State defensive back Lamont Wade will return to the Nittany Lions next season after he entered his name in the NCAA transfer portal earlier this month.

Wade, a rising junior, announced his decision to remove his name from the transfer portal and come back to Penn State on Sunday night.

"After long thoughts, prayers, and conversations, I've came to the decision that I will be removing my name from the transfer portal and continue to pursue my degree which I'm 3 semesters away from completing and getting back to work with my brothers, Wade wrote in note posted to his Twitteraccount. "I look forward to making an impact on the field for the 2019 Penn State Nittany Lions. Sometimes we have to make short term sacrifices to achieve our long term goals, and I believe this is what's best for me right now."

Wade played in 25 games over his first two years on campus. He arrived as an early enrollee in 2017. Wade was ranked as the 247Sports Composite No. 5 cornerback and No. 43 overall player, but he moved from cornerback to safety in the offseason a year ago. Wade has 49 career tackles and two tackles for loss in his career. He’s added three pass breakups and a forced fumble. With the decision to return, will likely be among a handful competing for the vacated safety spot of Nick Scott, who occupied the role last season as a senior.

There have been 11 players, including Wade, to appear in the transfer portal this offseason. Wide receivers Juwan Johnson, Brandon Polk and Irvin Charles, tight end Danny Dalton, offensive lineman Alex Gellerstedt, defensive lineman Torrence Brown, linebackers Jarvis Miller and Dae'lun Darien and defensive backs Isaiah Humphries and Ayron Monroe have also appeared in the transfer portal.

Dalton (Boston College), Brown (Southern Miss), Miller (UMass), Darien (Delaware) and Humphries (California) have chosen to go through with transfers. Entering your name into the portal means that college coaches can reach out, but the player can still return to school if he chooses.

"Beginning in October, Division I student-athletes will have the ability to transfer to a different school and receive a scholarship without asking their current school for permission," the NCAA announced in July. "The Division I Council adopted a proposal this week that creates a new 'notification-of-transfer' model. This new system allows a student to inform his or her current school of a desire to transfer, then requires that school to enter the student’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. Once the student-athlete’s name is in the database, other coaches are free to contact that individual ... "

"The previous transfer rule, which required student-athletes to get permission from their current school to contact another school before they can receive a scholarship after transfer, was intended to discourage coaches from recruiting student-athletes from other Division I schools. The rule change ends the controversial practice in which some coaches or administrators would prevent students from having contact with specific schools."

"After long thoughts, prayers, and conversations, I've came to the decision that I will be removing my name from the transfer portal and continue to pursue my degree which I'm 3 semesters away from completing and getting back to work with my brothers, Wade wrote in note posted to his Twitteraccount. "I look forward to making an impact on the field for the 2019 Penn State Nittany Lions. Sometimes we have to make short term sacrifices to achieve our long term goals, and I believe this is what's best for me right now.

Wade still took a shot at Penn State while announcing he was returning. This kid just can't get out of his own way.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Wade staying, so there is a chance of return. I guess it's open until they write their goodbye letter. Did JJ write his yet?

My understanding is that Franklin would have to OK any return. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but once in the portal, your scholarship is gone after the semester you declare unless Franklin agrees to reinstate it. Wade can't just demand his scholarship be reinstated on his own.

Either he and Franklin had a talk, which was positive, or he is now taking the risk of playing without a scholarship. My guess is 99% that Franklin gave him back his scholarship in the Fall.

Reactions: marshall23
My understanding is that Franklin would have to OK any return. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but once in the portal, your scholarship is gone after the semester you declare unless Franklin agrees to reinstate it. Wade can't just demand his scholarship be reinstated on his own.

Either he and Franklin had a talk, which was positive, or he is now taking the risk of playing without a scholarship. My guess is 99% that Franklin gave him back his scholarship in the Fall.
Nothing wrong with a 20 year old being impulsive........I once told the superintendent of schools to shove the ADs job and went home. That night I got 2 calls from school board members convincing me to go back to my office the next morning. Married with two kids and no real money in the bank.......I returned. No one bothered me and the superintendent was fired 4 months later. How stupid was I? Don't answer and I was in my late 40's. I give Wade some slack here. Good move by CJF to welcome him back.

Wade still took a shot at Penn State while announcing he was returning. This kid just can't get out of his own way.
As a poster typed last night in the separate thread about his return, the "short term sacrifices" could be the fact he will be away from his child during this time. To me, yes, that is a sacrifice.

OL

ADVERTISEMENT