ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Blue/White Game Observations

Interesting comment on the QB's jersey's. My white made the same comment that they should just wear red.

Modern Family episode (with PSU alum!) To your "typo". My sister brought this up at the game when I asked if she was rooting for blue or white:

zDx7Phw.gif

I'll be surprised if Menet plays as a true FR. Many here were talking up Connor McGovern as being ready to go (being much heavier than Menet, if reports and my eyeballs don't lie). He started for the White squad at tackle - granted, going against the first team defense - but didn't impress. For example, in one series he was called for holding and then was responsible for the sack in the end zone when he completely whiffed on blocking Schwan.

This should not be taken as bashing McGovern. I'm just pointing out what has been said in this forum many times: OL is the hardest (and least likely) place for true FR to start. I'm also not sure McGovern is a true tackle; I suspect he may have been moved to provide some much needed depth there this year. With Gaia moving to center and Bates stepping up at guard, it wasn't as critical that McG provide interior depth. I expect that if we start bringing in some legitimate tackles, he'll move back inside.
McGovern is not a true tackle. Not sure he has played that position before. Was always at center and guard in high school.

Thanks Obli. I thought Hack got a nice round of applause when he received the player of the game awards from last season.

Personally, I thought he deserved a standing O but it was done so quickly, much like Michael Robinson being introduced as part of the 2005 team at the end of the 3rd qtr. Quite a few fans were headed for the exits at that point.

I thought Mark Allen and Robinson looked good and we have a kid named Sanders coming in. Nice to see Gesicki hang on to the ball.

I saw Jessie James before the game. He looks like he still could bulk up some. Donovan Smith is one large individual and I thought Zettel looked trimmer than I ever have seen him. I thought he'd of been bigger in person. I saw Sam Ficken as well. Was he on an NFL roster last year? Hopefully he will be this year if he can.

Donovan Smith was at the game?

Pretty much totally agree with everything in your post. Especially number 2. However, I do disgree some with your number 3. I think the likely starters at LB for 2017 (Bowen, Cabinda and Cooper) will be solid. It's the LB depth for 2017 that's scary to me. One last note, I was not impressed with Shareef Miller at all. It looked like he took quite a few plays off to me.

If you believe that Bowen and Cooper will be solid then we will have solid depth, as Bell, Cabinda, and Wartman-White are the likely LB starters.

Something I should have pointed out....it was hot. The kids weren't used to that heat. It especially hit the "blue" team as their shirts absorbed the sunshine and they were typically younger. Finally, I can't recall when, but I recall Miller getting hurt. I know it wasn't serious, but that may have taken some of the starch out.

The Blue team was first string and the White team were the younger players. You made the mistake in your original post about Blue's offense was just as crisp as White's offense. McSorley was the Blue QB but was wearing a White jersey.

The OL will be Nelson, Bates, Gaia, Mahon, and Palmer. Dowrey and Beh starting the BW game does not mean much. Mahon has been hurt for a couple of weeks. I was actually surprised he played in the BW game. Palmer has been at RT for about 7 practices and never played on the right side before so I was not surprised that Beh started. Jack Ham made a statement during the game that Palmer will be fine at RT and that he just needs to get use to that side. I would be shocked if Palmer is not the starting RT. Beh looks like he can push Palmer at RT and at least be our backup RT this season. Jenkins play as LT on the White team was encouraging. He still is a year away and may not be ready to be the backup at any point this season. I think McGovern is playing RT because they are looking for their best option as the 4th OT this season. Menet may get a serious look.

If you believe that Bowen and Cooper will be solid then we will have solid depth, as Bell, Cabinda, and Wartman-White are the likely LB starters.
The question is who will provide the LB depth in 2017. I was not referring to LB depth in 2016.

Yes Donovan Smith was On the sidelines during the game. He is huge. Also met Zettle before the game and got a picture with him. He said he was 280 now. He's looks skinny but he's a beast.

The Blue team was first string and the White team were the younger players. You made the mistake in your original post about Blue's offense was just as crisp as White's offense. McSorley was the Blue QB but was wearing a White jersey.

The OL will be Nelson, Bates, Gaia, Mahon, and Palmer. Dowrey and Beh starting the BW game does not mean much. Mahon has been hurt for a couple of weeks. I was actually surprised he played in the BW game. Palmer has been at RT for about 7 practices and never played on the right side before so I was not surprised that Beh started. Jack Ham made a statement during the game that Palmer will be fine at RT and that he just needs to get use to that side. I would be shocked if Palmer is not the starting RT. Beh looks like he can push Palmer at RT and at least be our backup RT this season. Jenkins play as LT on the White team was encouraging. He still is a year away and may not be ready to be the backup at any point this season. I think McGovern is playing RT because they are looking for their best option as the 4th OT this season. Menet may get a serious look.
I think Beh starts at RT, the whole 'he's only been there 7 practices' is a smoke screen, after all 7 is half of the spring. I cant tell if its because of his leg bend or lack thereof, but Palmer hand placement seem all wrong to me. He catches and he should be punching. Beh's hand placement is much better. That said, I think Beh was a little soft at the POA . I think we will see a platoon at RT/RG this fall, with Beh/Palmer platooning at ROT, and Mahon and Dowrey at ROG. I think C, LG, LT are set. So I expect to see the same 5 that started the spring game to start in the fall barring injury. The only change might be Mahon for Dowrey. Beh gets the starting nod, and he should.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT