ADVERTISEMENT

O Line: time for change

novaclassof90

Jun 10, 2002
Two games in and the same guys have shown almost no improvement over last two years . How much longer until big changes are made? It is time.
Gotta sit guys like Dowrey, Gaia, etc.. They can't run block, it is amazing that Barkley must beat two guys regularly before even getting to LOS. Time to play the kids and Laurent more on th O Line.

Dowrey may be the worst linemen I have seen at PSU, ever.

Really, you don't see any improvement? While the O line hasn't dominated thus far, their opposing D lines were better than average and they haven't been close to the weakest link.These guys haven't become NFL All Pros overnight, but I believe that the offensive schemes and O line calls that Moorhead and Limegrover have introduced are expanding the margin for error. There are fewer sacks (mobile QB helps this as well) and fewer false start and holding penalties being called on the O line.

Two games in and the same guys have shown almost no improvement over last two years . How much longer until big changes are made? It is time.
Gotta sit guys like Dowrey, Gaia, etc.. They can't run block, it is amazing that Barkley must beat two guys regularly before even getting to LOS. Time to play the kids and Laurent more on th O Line.

Whatever you say coaCH......................................bs

First two games last year...37 points and 10 sacks allowed.

First two games this year...72 points and 5 sacks allowed.

Yep, no improvement there. I swear if we scored 70 and lost people on here would be bitching about the OLine.

Really, you don't see any improvement? While the O line hasn't dominated thus far, their opposing D lines were better than average and they haven't been close to the weakest link.These guys haven't become NFL All Pros overnight, but I believe that the offensive schemes and O line calls that Moorhead and Limegrover have introduced are expanding the margin for error. There are fewer sacks (mobile QB helps this as well) and fewer false start and holding penalties being called on the O line.

If Hack was at QB hewouldhavw been sacked 6-8 times yesterday. I don't see improvement in run blocking either.

Gaia dose look better at center, than guard-still need to get those young guys in there.

I'm in complete agreement. If we're going to lose, let's do it with the young guys and we'll build a strong foundation for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc-M

Fewer sacks? I counted five, including the two fumbles, yesterday. 6 for the season, after two games.

Yes, there are major OL problems and they are the same guys from the last two years. They just aren't very good football players but great people so I won't mention names.

It's a problem. But there isn't a lot we can do about it right now. Younger guys need time to develop. It's tough. I get it. These are the guys we have.

One of the younger offensive linemen should have been able to become one of the starters or I would have to be worry about next year's line since there will be too many new starters.

I think everyone on here, as well as all our coaches understand the OL talent problem of the experienced guys. It's a dilemma that the younger kids don't have experience, but I saw they were shuffled in and out of the game to get needed playing time. I would expect a different OL alignment of players by the time we get to the Michigan game. At least I hope so!

Reactions: Doc-M
One of the younger offensive linemen should have been able to become one of the starters or I would have to be worry about next year's line since there will be too many new starters.

You have plenty to worry about in your own camp without worrying about ours.

Reactions: StinkStankStunk
I think everyone on here, as well as all our coaches understand the OL talent problem of the experienced guys. It's a dilemma that the younger kids don't have experience, but I saw they were shuffled in and out of the game to get needed playing time. I would expect a different OL alignment of players by the time we get to the Michigan game. At least I hope so!

You won't see a damn thing. Franklin doesn't have the stones.

You won't see a damn thing. Franklin doesn't have the stones.

And what exactly is he afraid of? He's the head coach, he can play who he wants and he doesn't need "stones" to do it. You don't have the stones to actually go coach for a living, so your opinion on who has stones and who doesn't is useless.

And what exactly is he afraid of? He's the head coach, he can play who he wants and he doesn't need "stones" to do it. You don't have the stones to actually go coach for a living, so your opinion on who has stones and who doesn't is useless.

LMAO: Superapologist.

Ryan Bates played a ton at left guard and looked good. Dominated his man in pass blocking and generally did a good job run blocking. There was a play or two where he could have stayed with his man a bit longer, but for a redshirt freshman to play that well, it's a very good sign for the future. Penn State's OL will be much better next year, the year after, etc.

Yep, no improvement there. I swear if we scored 70 and lost people on here would be bitching about the OLine.

One uninspiring win overly lowly Kent State and a loss to Pitt with OLlne directly contributing to 21 points (7 + 14).

So a minor improvement, but completely unacceptable for a program of PSU's magnitude.

One uninspiring win overly lowly Kent State and a loss to Pitt with OLlne directly contributing to 21 points (7 + 14).

So a minor improvement, but completely unacceptable for a program of PSU's magnitude.

And what magnitude is that? It's not like we were Bama prior to the sanctions. We've gone 30 years without a NC and suddenly if Franklin doesn't get us to the top of the college football world immediately, it's a disaster. You see no improvement in the team because you don't want to see any. I see improvement because I do want to see it. End of story. But regardless of record, no one is "heading for disaster"...that's a bit dramatic.

And what magnitude is that? It's not like we were Bama prior to the sanctions. We've gone 30 years without a NC and suddenly if Franklin doesn't get us to the top of the college football world immediately, it's a disaster. You see no improvement in the team because you don't want to see any. I see improvement because I do want to see it. End of story. But regardless of record, no one is "heading for disaster"...that's a bit dramatic.

Distater is a relative team, of course - its only a game. But the bottom line is we lost to Temple last year and Pitt this year. The defense was so poor on Saturday that its almost scary. Why? Because getting beat in the trenches is almost never solved in season.

I am not asking for a top flight team yet - that is unrealistic. But beating the likes of Pitt - yes. At least show you have a team that shows it wants to compete. Lots of teams out there with talent inferior to Penn State's that are doing as much. At $4.5 million - should not the expectation be a teensy bit higher than "progress."

Distater is a relative team, of course - its only a game. But the bottom line is we lost to Temple last year and Pitt this year. The defense was so poor on Saturday that its almost scary. Why? Because getting beat in the trenches is almost never solved in season.

I am not asking for a top flight team yet - that is unrealistic. But beating the likes of Pitt - yes. At least show you have a team that shows it wants to compete. Lots of teams out there with talent inferior to Penn State's that are doing as much. At $4.5 million - should not the expectation be a teensy bit higher than "progress."

I think some of our fan base really needs to scale back the arrogance. Beating the likes of Pitt? It's not like we've been head and shoulders better than Pitt for the last 15 years and suddenly we dropped. We've been a middle of the road Big team for quite a while with a bump here and there. My guess is had we kept playing them there would have been quite a few years where we couldn't beat the likes of Pitt (like 2000-2004 where we would have been 1-4 against them).

I think some of our fan base really needs to scale back the arrogance. Beating the likes of Pitt? It's not like we've been head and shoulders better than Pitt for the last 15 years and suddenly we dropped. We've been a middle of the road Big team for quite a while with a bump here and there. My guess is had we kept playing them there would have been quite a few years where we couldn't beat the likes of Pitt (like 2000-2004 where we would have been 1-4 against them).

If we keep using Pitt as a reference point, we will keep being mired in mediocrity (or worse). We have a fanbase, facilities, recruits, and access to talent that Pitt can only dream about.

This a a Top 5-15 potential program. All some are asking is that we start acting like it and holding the program accountable accordingly.

Mcnit and 21 are fixated on Franklin and his salary. He has done a better than average coaching job under extreme circumstances.
He has recruited good players. He fired a friend and coach who was not up to standards necessary at this level.
Did you expect him to win Big10 his first few years.

Really? you don't see any improvement?How about Sack totals after 2 games this year compared to last?
How about offensive production for the first 2 games? Yes Moorehead's offense has helped immensely but its not all just that.
And really Dowrey is the worst OLineman you've ever seen at PSU? Did you start watching PSU on Sat?
Cause I can list about 20 that were worse and thats off the top of my head.
PSU OL is not the reason we lost on Sat. Could it be better sure will it get better absolutely.
I'm also not convinced that this is the OL we see in Oct.
I really like Laurent he seems to have good technique (from what I can tell) but he simply isn't big and strong enough. He has to be pretty much perfect
on every play or he gets knocked back.

Reactions: dbsteel

Exactly. Barkley hasn't had a huge 200 yard gane, but its not like he's been totally bottled up.

Mahon is in the running for the worst, but Dowrey is on the list too!

There is improvement in pass protection overall, we did score 39 points which is a vast improvement over last year. If Dowrey and Gia are as bad as you say, I assume they will be replaced, but I'm not so sure true Freshmen will be an upgrade. Laurent and McGovern have played in both games so far, and McGovern jumped offsides Saturday, which killed a drive Saturday.

Last edited:
If Barkley had a average o-line he would have had 2, 200 yard games already they stink!

If we keep using Pitt as a reference point, we will keep being mired in mediocrity (or worse). We have a fanbase, facilities, recruits, and access to talent that Pitt can only dream about.

This a a Top 5-15 potential program. All some are asking is that we start acting like it and holding the program accountable accordingly.

We've had all those things for years and in the 14 years prior to Franklin taking over we averaged 7.5 wins per year and were ranked in the top 5-15 only three times, so we were hardly a juggernaut before Franklin took over. So in 14 years Joe could only reach your expectations three times without any sanctions, yet you expect it of Franklin in three years. That's pretty reasonable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT