ADVERTISEMENT

November 2016 vs. November 2015

Bob78

Jul 5, 2001
We went 0-for-November last season, losing one we should have won at Northwestern and then a hard-fought loss vs. Michigan at home, and then the 2nd half horrors at Michigan State after a first-half where we fought hard. 0-3 in Nov. 2015, on the way to an 0-4 finish. That result had many of us (well, maybe just me) wondering where we were headed in 2016 and beyond, even with, or maybe because of, a new offensive system expected to be in place. And then some coaching upheaval, some recruiting hiccups, coming off a tough loss at the bowl....

But much credit to Franklin and staff for the plan they put in place, the OC change, the recruiting efforts to close on a strong class after all, and telling us to trust the process. Trusting the coaches.... Easier for fans to hear than to actually be patient enough to do.

So now we come to Nov. 2016, and a reasonable thought that we could go 4-0 and work our way into a really great bowl trip against a very challenging opponent! Or maybe even a really, really great bowl! 4-0 is the goal, but the wacky ways that college football plays out each week, it would be a college football minor miracle to go 4-0. We have areas that a good, well-coached, talented team can exploit. How will the coaches minimize those exposures? How will they maximize the weaknesses that each of the 4 opponents have? How will we be mentally and physically for each game? How will the uncontrollable factors play in.... refs, weather, a physical mistake, etc.?

In the good old days, Penn State was so well coached that we just got stronger and better as the season wore on. We could expect to win in November because of depth of talent, use of the talent, and game plans that took away the biggest risks. James and staff have a chance to do that this season (a full season ahead of my expectations!), and I am optimistic that they will perform very well and get the team ready to perform very well, too. I cannot yet allow myself to fully expect 4-for-November, but I know that based on what we have seen, it is reasonable to allow myself to consider the possibility.

Iowa will be a tough, tough game. They will be healthier and have two weeks to prepare. Their struggles on O will probably come around this week and they will be able to make noise with their running game. They will be tougher up front on D than most of our opponents. With all that, rather than hoping we will win, I'm optimistic that we will find a way over the course of the 60 minutes.

Fingers still crossed, of course!

We gotta played like crazed dogs!! Err...cats. Each team left has major weaknesses. We can exploit too. Our offense is improving weekly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT