ADVERTISEMENT

Non-participation in bowl games

Parsons is being welcomed back by the staff. The staff didn't put up the money that Parsons took and then didn't deliver the service for which he was paid. I bet if Franklin paid Parsons out of his pocket, he would look at the situation differently.

I think it's an "odd mentality" to think that people are paid (by taxpayers and donors) for a service and then don't deliver the service but still get the money. This seems unique to college athletics. It doesn't happen in business.

Anyway, it appears that you and I view this issue very differently. That is OK. It's good that people have different points of view.
Pssst, these young men put 107k in the stadium. They make the University millions. BTN pays what 50 million a year now? It’s not an amateur sport. Good conversation, but this idea these young men owe you, me, or anyone something is just odd to me. They earned the ship. It’s not a lottery. They worked to get drafted. They sacrificed the time in the gym to start while at PSU. If you want to force them to play(sounds silly) or make them pay back the money, welcome to D2 or a bottom feeder D1 program. The next Barkley or Parsons will have plenty other options if PSU was stupid enough to try that.

Change scares or bothers everyone to an extent. It’s been a business with a controlled BS “amateur” narrative for decades and that narrative is gone. It’s not coming back. Peace, have a great new year. Still deciding if I want to drive the 3 hours with my son to the game on NYD or not.

Last edited:
Then stop donating to NLC, buying tix, etc. Problem solved for you since you feel you are owed something, need a ROI.
Yep. That is a side affect of the opt outers. Some people may quit donating. I've been a Nittany Lion Club member since 1981 and have donated thousands of dollars to the Levi Lamb fund. That money goes to athletic scholarships. I expect the athletes won't just take the money and not keep their side of the bargain. I expect them to play for the team and do their best. I am going to think hard about donating next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
Pssst, these young men put 107k in the stadium. They make the University millions. BTN pays what 50 million a year now? It’s not an amateur sport. Good conversation, but this idea these young men owe you, me, or anyone something is just odd to me. They earned the ship. It’s not a lottery. They worked to get drafted. They sacrificed the time in the gym to start while at PSU. If you want to force them to play(sounds silly) or make them pay back the money, welcome to D2 or a bottom feeder D1 program. The next Barkley or Parsons will have plenty other options if PSU was stupid enough to try that.

change scares or bothers everyone to an extent. It’s been a business with a controlled narrative for decades and that narrative is gone. It’s not coming back. Peace, have a great new year. Still deciding if I want to drive the 3 hours with my son to the game on NYD or not.
You make some good points. Maybe I will have to soften my position on this. Obviously, Penn State can't unilaterally say that opt outers will have to pay back part of their stipend. It would have to be a nationwide policy.

Reactions: LaJollaLion
Yep. That is a side affect of the opt outers. Some may quit donating. I've been a Nittany Lion Club member since 1981 and have donated thousands of dollars to the Levi Lamb fund. That money goes to athletic scholarships. I expect the athletes won't just take the money and not keep their side of the bargain. I expect them to play for the team and do their best. I am going to think hard about donating next year.
Opt out. Is there another good cause that can use your money, if so put it there.

Reactions: NoBareFeet

Change scares or bothers everyone to an extent. It’s been a business with a controlled BS “amateur” narrative for decades and that narrative is gone. It’s not coming back. Peace, have a great new year. Still deciding if I want to drive the 3 hours with my son to the game on NYD or not.
💯

Parsons is being welcomed back by the staff. The staff didn't put up the money that Parsons took and then didn't deliver the service for which he was paid. I bet if Franklin paid Parsons out of his pocket, he would look at the situation differently.

I think it's an "odd mentality" to think that people are paid (by taxpayers and donors) for a service and then don't deliver the service but still get the money. This seems unique to college athletics. It doesn't happen in business.

Anyway, it appears that you and I view this issue very differently. That is OK. It's good that people have different points of view.
The staff is very highly paid of course.

You make some good points. Maybe I will have to soften my position on this. Obviously, Penn State can't unilaterally say that opt outers will have to pay back part of their stipend. It would have to be a nationwide policy.
I’m fine with that, but who would push it? Tough for any school or P5 conference to lead that charge. That is the dilemma they have.

Pssst, bowl games are meaningless to those going to get paid in the league. Look how many kids across the nation are bailing on the bowls. It’s an exhibition game for the fans. Selfish young men daring to think about their own futures are impacting your life. Why is that? Work on it and see if you can figure it out.
Pssst, based on your participation in this thread, it appears to be impacting your life a great deal more than mine.

I'd rather the kids take advantage of the education, because on the (very good) chance they don't make it in football, they'd have something to fall back on. But I guess you are just looking to exploit kids for their football talent and don't care about what happens once they are done playing here. Shame!
Psssst Brisker had his degree by the end of spring.

Where is your hero pedo again? Right where he belongs. A decade later, nothing.
Where is your hero pedo again? Right where he belongs. A decade later, nothing.
Nothing? With the Benefit of Hindsight podcast debunked the entire absurd case with an incredible amount of research. People like you are too invested in a fairy tale to admit you were duped and panicked. I get it, it must be hard to know you destroyed innocent lives with your ignorant virtue signaling. That’s how the world works now.

I think that is the main issue. It used to be that quitting was looked at as wrong. Now it is all about getting yours.

The other main issue is that these kids get cover from the modern media. They actually applaud these decisions. The narrative isn't that they are quitting on their schools, it's that they are getting out from under their slave labor conditions, or some nonsense like that. It's absurd.
Clearly the best fix for this issue is to get rid of the NFL. Once all the college players put in their 5 years of service at PSU to honor their scholarship, they can go out and submit applications like the rest of us and become school teachers, social workers, engineers.

That's of course after they just watched their Defensive Coordinator leave "mid-season" for a job at VT that pays him $28 million over six years. But hey, they need to HONOR THEIR SCHOLARSHIP.

Bowls, as long as they still exist, will serve two purposes from this moment on:

1. Allows the team to showcase their young players, in particular guys who may have been frustrated with lack of playing time during the regular season and are considering entering the transfer portal.

2. Allows the senior walk-on who busted his ass for 5 years to finally get his first start.

I think we just need to accept that these will never again be meaningful games. We’ll just have to learn to enjoy them like we do the Blue/White Game.

So you never left an employer for more money or you stayed loyal forever? I’m sure you think you made a point there. What the f—k it was I have no idea.
I went into ministry in 1977, and because I was a "hard worker and a go getter, " I was offered a number of jobs through the years for more money, but felt I needed to stay true to my calling from the Lord!!! So no, I never left my employer for more money because I considered the Lord my employer. Some would say I was crazy, but I've done okay. My family loves each other, we love being together, I feel really blessed, and I am not what most would call rich or even well to do. But I'm happy, I love Penn State football, and I understand why kids would worry about playing in an unimportant game and risking the injury that could end their hopes for a professional payday. I am not here to makes "my point," because it's not important. Just apart of the conversation. Sorry if I offended you, but everything we write on message boards seems to offend someone!!!!

I went into ministry in 1977, and because I was a "hard worker and a go getter, " I was offered a number of jobs through the years for more money, but felt I needed to stay true to my calling from the Lord!!! So no, I never left my employer for more money because I considered the Lord my employer. Some would say I was crazy, but I've done okay. My family loves each other, we love being together, I feel really blessed, and I am not what most would call rich or even well to do. But I'm happy, I love Penn State football, and I understand why kids would worry about playing in an unimportant game and risking the injury that could end their hopes for a professional payday. I am not here to makes "my point," because it's not important. Just apart of the conversation. Sorry if I offended you, but everything we write on message boards seems to offend someone!!!!
He’s a slight in search of a cause. Placing him on ignore deprives him of the attention he so desperately craves.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
You didn’t offend me. I honestly have no idea why you brought my family being in danger into the conversation. Just an odd thought and even more so now hearing your background. No harm, no foul.

Nothing? With the Benefit of Hindsight podcast debunked the entire absurd case with an incredible amount of research. People like you are too invested in a fairy tale to admit you were duped and panicked. I get it, it must be hard to know you destroyed innocent lives with your ignorant virtue signaling. That’s how the world works now.
Sure it did. Jewish space lasers are real. Flat Earthers think they have proof too. Plenty of people believe what they want to. They all have their own podcasts too, imagine that.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to have different opinions on this subject without all the harsh crap comments. We are witnessing something that was brewing for years, but now has blossomed. I always considered college football an entity on its self, not anNFL warm up. That obviously has changed and it has changed the game with it. Personally, that is unfortunate and distasteful. If you want to view it simply as business, OK I understand that position. I do not see it that way. So I am on the outs and it is affecting my desire to watch the games. But that is my position and problem, not yours. You see it as you see it.

Would it be possible to have different opinions on this subject without all the harsh crap comments. We are witnessing something that was brewing for years, but now has blossomed. I always considered college football an entity on its self, not anNFL warm up. That obviously has changed and it has changed the game with it. Personally, that is unfortunate and distasteful. If you want to view it simply as business, OK I understand that position. I do not see it that way. So I am on the outs and it is affecting my desire to watch the games. But that is my position and problem, not yours. You see it as you see it.
That is perfectly fine. You aren’t insulting the young men and labeling them selfish quitters. Other fans are and they are the worst kind of fans IMO.

So, if a kid is in the playoffs, doesn't opt out, and goes down, are you saying he did the right thing playing the game?
I don't blame the players for making a business decision. I blame the NCAA for losing control of their product.

Most businesses try to make their customers happy. The NCAA doesn't seem to care about the customers.

Safe to say that these pansy kids opting out of the bowl wouldn't make any All Madden team. RIP

You didn’t offend me. I honestly have no idea why you brought my family being in danger into the conversation. Just an odd thought and even more so now hearing your background. No harm, no foul.
I was thinking specifically of SB, though he did play in the bowl game. But having a child, and considering his family situation, I wouldn't have blamed him if he had skipped the game. It's all craziness to me and I'm trying to look at both sides of the discussion.

Best part of bowl season thus far- 6'9" 380 pound Samoa Pizza Flu Dive package on Lidda WVU in the red zone. XXXXXL Samoan Gopher Guy's last college game too. I like you WVU guys, but you are too LIDDA for the B1G 🤣🤣🤣

Just my opinion, but between the portal and opting out, college football as we once knew it is over. I believe college football was at one time an entity in and of itself. There was a sort of barrier between college and NFL pro football. Most players were on for the duration - four years and some even opted for a fifth year. I think that mold was cracked with the running back from Oklahoma (?) who left after his sophomore season for supposedly for hardship reasons. I don't believe he lasted too long in the pros (might be wrong about that). It is going to be difficult going forward to put together a team roster with players leaving early for the draft, the portal, etc. I guess it is what it is, but it is not to my liking. Just my thoughts. I think JoePa might agree.

IMO the players have every right to opt out of games. Also IMO the fans have every right to be upset about it and not support financially if that’s how they choose.

For me it comes back to who we are recruiting and how we are recruiting them. What is their mental make up when you are recruiting them?

and for those that wish to talk about Micah….he cost himself a boatload of money by sitting out. He would have gone top 5 had he not opted out.

I’m fine with that, but who would push it? Tough for any school or P5 conference to lead that charge. That is the dilemma they have.

Its a dilemma of their own creation. Everyone knew this is where college football was heading. The schools/NCAA fought it tooth and nail instead of accepting the inevitable, getting out ahead of it and shaping the system. Now they've completely lost control and trying to wrestle it back would be a PR nightmare.

Reactions: LaJollaLion
IMO the players have every right to opt out of games. Also IMO the fans have every right to be upset about it and not support financially if that’s how they choose.

For me it comes back to who we are recruiting and how we are recruiting them. What is their mental make up when you are recruiting them?

and for those that wish to talk about Micah….he cost himself a boatload of money by sitting out. He would have gone top 5 had he not opted out.
As Nick Saban has said the best way to improve your draft number is to play and play well!

As Nick Saban has said the best way to improve your draft number is to play and play well!

And a catastrophic injury is the easiest way to kill it. If you're already a first round pick its on you to weigh the risk reward.

Also, not sure Saban is the best authority on this given that since the trend started in 2017 (I think this is right, McCaffery was the first to do it?) he's only missed the playoff once.

And a catastrophic injury is the easiest way to kill it. If you're already a first round pick its on you to weigh the risk reward.

Also, not sure Saban is the best authority on this given that since the trend started in 2017 (I think this is right, McCaffery was the first to do it?) he's only missed the playoff once.
No one from Clemson opted out and they are in an unimportant bowl. Gotta respect that.

Reactions: jroman1 and psu00
No one from Clemson opted out and they are in an unimportant bowl. Gotta respect that.
Yep. Dabo was asked about it and he said it was because they view Clemson as bigger than any single coach or individual (team first mentality).

Reactions: Waltwam

Why is the chance for a major injury more in the bowl season?

Reactions: AvgUser
Reactions: CoastGuard2018
Maybe they should just opt out as soon as their team is out of NC or conference championship contention and they feel comfortable that they are going to get drafted. No need to play the rest of the season! That is what may eventually may happen. I for one hate what it has become!!!
Unlikely. Most teams are out of contention from day one.

Why is the chance for a major injury more in the bowl season?

Where did I say that..? If a guy has gotten to this point without injury I don't blame them for not wanting to go back out there after being off for a month knowing that they've secured the bag. I don't agree that its the same as someone shutting it down at the end of September if they're on a 2 loss team but if you feel differently knock yourself out getting bent out of shape over something that hasn't happened.

Players can sit out if they want to. Why do fans think their opinions concerning the life decision of a football player matters? If they were playing a game of consequence I can see how people would care, but even then, this is their life after all.

Unlikely. Most teams are out of contention from day one.

Where did I say that..? If a guy has gotten to this point without injury I don't blame them for not wanting to go back out there after being off for a month knowing that they've secured the bag. I don't agree that its the same as someone shutting it down at the end of September if they're on a 2 loss team but if you feel differently knock yourself out getting bent out of shape over something that hasn't happened.
I asked a question ya dork. Read in to things much?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT