ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Conference Basketball Schedule

psualum10

Aug 27, 2015
11/10 vs Campbell
11/12 vs Fairleigh Dickinson
11/15 vs Montana
11/17 vs Columbia
11/20 vs Pitt/Oklahoma St/Texas A&M (Legends Classic -- Brooklyn, NY)
11/21 vs Pitt/Oklahoma St/Texas A&M (Legends Classic -- Brooklyn, NY)
11/24 vs Oral Roberts
11/29 at North Carolina State
12/9 vs George Washington
12/17 at George Mason
12/19 vs Binghamton
12/22 vs Rider
12/30 vs Coppin State

Not the toughest schedule. Need to get at least 10 wins out of that (preferably at least 11) to take a little pressure off once conference play comes around.

Who put that together? Pat's agent?

It is a terrible schedule that likely was impacted by the early December Big Ten games. That does not excuse this bad schedule, but it at least provides some context for it. Pat didn't get enough good games and he needs to be held accountable for that.

Simply put, this schedule is going to require us to be very successful in conference. The biggest necessity in this schedule (much like 08-09 when we won the NIT) is our tournament breaking the right way. In 2009, we needed to play Nova to get a break for the bad schedule, and did not. This year, we need to play Texas A&M in Brooklyn, failing to do that because of a loss to Pitt or Okie State would be disastrous. Both of those teams are staring bottom of their conference finishes in the face right now.

The only positive that I can spin from it is, if we beat A&M and run the table to the early December B1G games, and can find a way to run the table in early December, then we would have a realistic shot of being ranked, with no difficult games until the B1G schedule picks back up. That is really the only good scenario for us that I can find.

11/10 vs Campbell
11/15 vs Montana
11/17 vs Columbia
11/24 vs Oral Roberts
12/17 at George Mason
12/19 vs Binghamton
12/22 vs Rider
12/30 vs Coppin State

Can't really complain about this much. I think last year's slate, while not necessarily a gauntlet, did make it a little bit harder for the young team to gel and find their groove. This is a manageable non-conference schedule that may go a long way to some post season play. There are 4-5 decent games in that bunch and a lot of opportunity to build some confidence.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Can't really complain about this much. I think last year's slate, while not necessarily a gauntlet, did make it a little bit harder for the young team to gel and find their groove. This is a manageable non-conference schedule that may go a long way to some post season play. There are 4-5 decent games in that bunch and a lot of opportunity to build some confidence.
But only if they win them all. A loss with that kind of OOC schedule really hurts in post season discussions.

But only if they win them all. A loss with that kind of OOC schedule really hurts in post season discussions.

I'm not sure how NC State projects with out DSJr and Gottfried gone, but a road loss there may not kill them. A loss to Texas A&M would not kill them since they should be pretty good this year. A loss to anyone else is going to be a bad look.

PSU has a more talented roster than all but probably OKST and A&M. 11-2 at worst after this portion and thats giving them a slip up game.

11/10 vs Campbell
11/15 vs Montana
11/17 vs Columbia
11/24 vs Oral Roberts
12/17 at George Mason
12/19 vs Binghamton
12/22 vs Rider
12/30 vs Coppin State
I wonder why Jay Wright and Chambers can't get a series going. Villanova vs Penn State would sell.

I wonder why Jay Wright and Chambers can't get a series going. Villanova vs Penn State would sell.
If Pat can finally get the program over the hump (winning regularly) I would expect them to.
I'm just speculating but don't think Jay would want to throttle his protege during a building time. Considering they're close, I'm sure the idea has been kicked around a few times.

If Pat can finally get the program over the hump (winning regularly) I would expect them to.
I'm just speculating but don't think Jay would want to throttle his protege during a building time. Considering they're close, I'm sure the idea has been kicked around a few times.
Well, I don't know how many Bryce Jordan seats but a Villanova game would have them hanging off the rafters.:)

Well, I don't know how many Bryce Jordan seats but a Villanova game would have them hanging off the rafters.:)

PSU took the most attractive home game last year and moved it to Philly. No way a Nova home game would sell out, at least not right now.

OK, I thought your post might be TIC, now I know :D
I just figured with Villanova's program and the large number of Philly area PSU students that the game would create great interest. Maybe I'm wrong about the Philly students at PSU. You'd certainly be a better judge of what interest the game would have. I was just outside looking in.:)

I think the best strategy for PSU is to schedule a lot of teams with RPI between 80-100. We should beat those teams and the RPI isn't horrible.

I'm not sure how NC State projects with out DSJr and Gottfried gone, but a road loss there may not kill them. A loss to Texas A&M would not kill them since they should be pretty good this year. A loss to anyone else is going to be a bad look.
We have to win at least one of those two and then win the rest of the OOC or we're sitting home post season again.

Why not try and get a home and home with Wvu?After all we gave them a home and home in football didn't we.Huggs has them in the top 25 and they'd be a good draw at the BJC!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
The silver lining is that this schedule will allow the team to try out one or more of the incoming freshmen and see how they mesh with the rest of the team. This will start in the Bahamas trip this summer though. The lackluster OOC schedule will also afford the team to win a bunch of games and build confidence. We'll see how the OOC plays out and how that will relate to the conference schedule and the season overall.

Iv
Why not try and get a home and home with Wvu?After all we gave them a home and home in football didn't we.Huggs has them in the top 25 and they'd be a good draw at the BJC!
e thought that penn state should try to schedule strategically to benefit both the football and basketball teams. If a non power five team wants to get paid to play a game at beaver stadium, then let's pick someone who would be an interesting basketball home and home....

They would beat us like a drum.

I think it would be a better game than you think in the 2018-9 season.Wvu will be losing their starting guards after this year and I think it would be a good game in 2018-19.Chambers has to play a couple of decent teams to boost the RPI.It doesn't hurt if you lose to a top 20 team and it really helps if you beat them.Huggins likes local rivals.He scheduled Va Tech,Pitt and Va home and home and wanted OSU but they wouldn't play.

I think it would be a better game than you think in the 2018-9 season.Wvu will be losing their starting guards after this year and I think it would be a good game in 2018-19.Chambers has to play a couple of decent teams to boost the RPI.It doesn't hurt if you lose to a top 20 team and it really helps if you beat them.Huggins likes local rivals.He scheduled Va Tech,Pitt and Va home and home and wanted OSU but they wouldn't play.

Chambers vs. Huggins...I don't think it would be much of a game in any year we played them.

The problem with this schedule is that it is likely an RPI killer for a team that is trying to get into the NCAA tournament. There are six teams on the schedule who were in the bottom quartile of the RPI last year, and are quite likely going to be there again this year. Those type of teams hurt your RPI even if you win the games. One or maybe two of them might be ok, but any more and you are making it extremely difficult to get a bid. What it winds up meaning is that you have to win an extra Big Ten game or two. Normally, a .500 level B10 team will get into the NCAAs. But play an OOC schedule like this one and you wind up having to go at least 10-8 or 11-7 in conference to get a bid. It's the type schedule that cost Ed DeChellis a bid in 2009.

Now if your sole goal is to get into the NIT, then this might be a schedule that is right up your alley.

11/10 vs Campbell
11/15 vs Montana
11/17 vs Columbia
11/24 vs Oral Roberts
12/17 at George Mason
12/19 vs Binghamton
12/22 vs Rider
12/30 vs Coppin State
The only teams on that list with Division 1 talent are Okla St., A&M, and NC State. We should enter the BIG schedule with a great record.

The problem with this schedule is that it is likely an RPI killer for a team that is trying to get into the NCAA tournament. There are six teams on the schedule who were in the bottom quartile of the RPI last year, and are quite likely going to be there again this year. Those type of teams hurt your RPI even if you win the games. One or maybe two of them might be ok, but any more and you are making it extremely difficult to get a bid. What it winds up meaning is that you have to win an extra Big Ten game or two. Normally, a .500 level B10 team will get into the NCAAs. But play an OOC schedule like this one and you wind up having to go at least 10-8 or 11-7 in conference to get a bid. It's the type schedule that cost Ed DeChellis a bid in 2009.

Now if your sole goal is to get into the NIT, then this might be a schedule that is right up your alley.

I guess one could look at Iowa last year, see a team that lost 5 games out of conference to some tough teams and didn't make the tourney despite 10 B1G wins and think, why bother with the tough teams then. Of course you could also then point to how bad other teams were in that OOC.

I guess one could look at Iowa last year, see a team that lost 5 games out of conference to some tough teams and didn't make the tourney despite 10 B1G wins and think, why bother with the tough teams then. Of course you could also then point to how bad other teams were in that OOC.

Iowa's toughest OOC losses were all from pre-arrainged agreements. They got Seton Hall for Gavitt Games, they got UVA for a tournament, and they got Notre Dame in B1G/ACC challenge. Those losses didn't keep them out or March Madness.

I didn't say that they should schedule tough teams. That's not the way to make the NCAAs either. The way to game the RPI is to avoid the lower quartile teams at all costs and to mostly play teams that you should beat. Ideally, your OOC would be made up of mostly teams whose RPI is in the second quartile (RPI rankings of around 90-180) with a couple of first and third quartile teams thrown in. The first quartile are so that you have an opportunity to pick up a big OOC win, the third quartile are to give you a breather now and then.

You only have the luxury of scheduling a bunch of dogs if you know that you are good enough to win 2/3 of your conference games. We don't have that luxury so we need to have the right kind of schedule.

Iowa's RPI was 83 and was dragged down by five teams with RPIs of worse than 250, three of them worse than 300. Those are RPI killers. It's almost impossible to get into the NCAAs with an RPI of 83 no matter how good your conference record is.

If I had to point to a team that scheduled smartly last year, it would be Minnesota. They only played three teams with an RPI of over 200 and only one fourth quartile teams (NJIT at 293). They had six schools between 100 and 150: Arkansas St, Louisiana, Mt St Mary's, Georgia Southern, Southern Illinois, and St Johns - and they won all of them. Those are the type teams you schedule and beat to get to the NCAAs.

Note: I'm not suggesting that Minnesota got in solely because of that scheduling. They also beat some top 50 teams and had a great B10 record. But even some of those top 50 teams that they played aren't teams that you would normally consider powerhouses. Florida State (L) and Arkansas (W) are worthy opponents, but when they scheduled Middle Tenn St (L), UT Arlington (W), and Vanderbilt (W), I doubt that they had any idea that those three would wind up being top 50 schools. They most likely put them on the schedule thinking that they would be beatable second quartile schools.

Reactions: wbcincy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT