ADVERTISEMENT

Nolf!

Never saw that angle/broadcast. That was fantastic. IMar was completely gassed.
I hadn't seen that angle prior, also. Imar was flattened and very gassed.

The comments about opponent's matching his pace (Imar's) might want to be kept tucked away in his brain and mouth next time. He was outpaced, out wrestled and out conditioned by Jason Nolf.

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover
That never gets old. Keep rewinding and watching the reaction of the Illini faithful. Priceless......................

Reactions: amalone
Bo Nickal's pin of Zac Brunson seemed like a mirror type of pin. Not so much fight off the back once they got there.

The sad thing about that angle is he was flat for many seconds before the ref called the fall.
What was sadder (from UI's perspective) was that IMar had zero fight on his back. I know he was gassed, but when someone has you on your back, you generally find some little reserve. There was NONE. That gas tank was definitely on empty.

Nolf is all business. He gets up gets to the middle, with his back to IMar who is still on the ground. It will be interesting to watch next week......IMar won't be gased in the middle of the second period and I doubt he will be trying to throw Nolf. Nolf Vader has too good a feel for that sort of thing. Plus he has those quick, ballroom dancing feet.

Nolf is all business. He gets up gets to the middle, with his back to IMar who is still on the ground. It will be interesting to watch next week......IMar won't be gased in the middle of the second period and I doubt he will be trying to throw Nolf. Nolf Vader has too good a feel for that sort of thing. Plus he has those quick, ballroom dancing feet.

Agreed, I expect it will be much closer and probably not come down to a Fall -- would expect I-Mar to be much more conservative in regards to his wrestling and energy conservation. The thing that concerns me about that is that if it comes down to TDs in a lower-scoring match, I-Mar by far recorded the "cleanest" TD - most of the wild scrambles were initiated off of "high risk" energy-consuming "big-move" attempts by BOTH wrestlers.....while it clearly had a more deleterious effect on I-Mar later in the match, I'm not sure we'll see that type of wrestling next match. Again, I-Mar recorded the "cleanest" TD points of the match which is somewhat concerning for the next go-around because most of J-No's scoring came off of wild scrambles and "funk" coming off of "big move" attempts by both wrestlers -- he may have to beat I-Mar next time in a pure TD battle in a much lower scoring match.

Agreed, I expect it will be much closer and probably not come down to a Fall -- would expect I-Mar to be much more conservative in regards to his wrestling and energy conservation. The thing that concerns me about that is that if it comes down to TDs in a lower-scoring match, I-Mar by far recorded the "cleanest" TD - most of the wild scrambles were initiated off of "high risk" energy-consuming "big-move" attempts by BOTH wrestlers.....while it clearly had a more deleterious effect on I-Mar later in the match, I'm not sure we'll see that type of wrestling next match. Again, I-Mar recorded the "cleanest" TD points of the match which is somewhat concerning for the next go-around because most of J-No's scoring came off of wild scrambles and "funk" coming off of "big move" attempts by both wrestlers -- he may have to beat I-Mar next time in a pure TD battle in a much lower scoring match.

Good analysis, but I don't believe that Jason will allow IMar to pace himself. It may come down to a takedown at the end but Nolf will push the pace, not letting IMar conserve any energy. I don't expect him to be out of gas in the middle of the second, but I do expect him to be out of gas in the middle of the third. Will Nolf be close enough to capitalize, I believe he will.

did anyone notice the comment below the match widow...re some comment Clyde Frantz supposedly made right before his match with Wade Schalles......has anyone ever heard anything about that before?

did anyone notice the comment below the match widow...re some comment Clyde Frantz supposedly made right before his match with Wade Schalles......has anyone ever heard anything about that before?

I would like to hear that quote also. I do recall Frantz was afraid of nobody. One of my favorite Lion wrestlers with a boatload of talent..

I don't know what Frantz said but I do know what happened. This was a highly anticipated matchup that every PA wrestling fan was waiting to see. The ref blew the whistle and Frantz went right after Schalles and got in on a single leg. Schalles reached over Frantz and caught him in a spladle which was the first time a lot of us at that time had ever heard of the move. The match was over in about 50 seconds.

One of my favorite fantasy matches would have been Schalles vs Taylor. I honestly think Schalles would have been a real challenge for DT. People who know Schalles well tend to agree.

I don't know what Frantz said but I do know what happened. This was a highly anticipated matchup that every PA wrestling fan was waiting to see. The ref blew the whistle and Frantz went right after Schalles and got in on a single leg. Schalles reached over Frantz and caught him in a spladle which was the first time a lot of us at that time had ever heard of the move. The match was over in about 50 seconds.

One of my favorite fantasy matches would have been Schalles vs Taylor. I honestly think Schalles would have been a real challenge for DT. People who know Schalles well tend to agree.
I agree DT would've had his hands full with Wade. John Chapman found out how tough Schalles was. One of the all time great matches in PIAA history.

How did he pin him, because it is very difficult to get the shoulder blades down flat in a Spladle. Impossible move to escape from, but tough to record the pin due to head position of opponent which is up on your stomach and tends to pull shoulder blades up off mat. Position is similar to "can opener" or grapevine when you're able to get legs in, but the other wrestler's head and back are in a much better position from those combinations to get their head, neck and shoulders flat to the mat.

How did he pin him, because it is very difficult to get the shoulder blades down flat in a Spladle. Impossible move to escape from, but tough to record the pin due to head position of opponent which is up on your stomach and tends to pull shoulder blades up off mat. Position is similar to "can opener" or grapevine when you're able to get legs in, but the other wrestler's head and back are in a much better position from those combinations to get their head, neck and shoulders flat to the mat.

Watch Rick Sanders in the 1972 Olympics

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=bTAEKiqmIWM

Couldn't find it at that link - saw a bunch of PSU-related matches, but not Sanders at Olympics.

I posted that link from my Kindle. I think there are different links if you are on a PC. Try the same link without the "m." at the beginning. If that doesn't work, just go to YouTube and do a search for Rick Sanders 1972 Olympics. You'll find it pretty quickly. The way Sanders sets it up is a little different, but you can see how he shifts his position to get the pin.

BTW, you older guys might remember Sanders from the 1968 NCAA tournament at Penn State. He lost in the finals to Dwayne Keller from Ok State in what was considered then to be a big upset.

I posted that link from my Kindle. I think there are different links if you are on a PC. Try the same link without the "m." at the beginning. If that doesn't work, just go to YouTube and do a search for Rick Sanders 1972 Olympics. You'll find it pretty quickly. The way Sanders sets it up is a little different, but you can see how he shifts his position to get the pin.

BTW, you older guys might remember Sanders from the 1968 NCAA tournament at Penn State. He lost in the finals to Dwayne Keller from Ok State in what was considered then to be a big upset.
Here is the link:

The best (or at least funniest) one was Nick Simmons at 2011 Worlds, with the clueless ref who gave exposure points to the victim, and Simmons had to tell him to check for the pin:

Here is the link:

The best (or at least funniest) one was Nick Simmons at 2011 Worlds, with the clueless ref who gave exposure points to the victim, and Simmons had to tell him to check for the pin:

The Sanders move was pretty cool as he kind of "reverse Spladled" him in regards to the action of his leg-turk and leg--bar using arms (instead of traditional turk, he reverse turked him) - it did allow him to get better positioning to record the fall. Simmons video was the more traditional Spladle that I have seen with a traditional turked leg on one side and you could see how hard it was for him to get his opponents blades flat because of opponent's head/shoulder position being somewhat on top of pinning wrestler.

Last edited:
The Sanders move was pretty cool as he kind of "reverse Spladled" him in regards to the action of his leg-lock and arm--bar (instead of traditional turk, he reverse turked him) - it did allow him to get better positioning to record the fall. Simmons video was the more traditional Spladle that I have seen with a traditional turked leg on one side and you could see how hard it was for him to get his opponents blades flat because of opponent's head/shoulder position being somewhat on top of pinning wrestler.

Also, I was referring to move some call "banana split" in my earlier OP when I reffered to "can opener" - we used either of those terms for figure-4 leg in and reaching across to bar-leg with arms....rolling opponent backwards onto back while pulling legs in opposite directions (not sure if everybody uses those terms interchangeably for that move). Also, some use "grapevine" to describe using your legs to tie and split opponents legs from a pancake position - we would have called that double-grapevinig opponent's legs, but the move we called "a grapevine" was executed from same starting position as banana split....one boot in and reaching across and taking far arm rather than far leg. Pull arm around your neck as you take opponent backwards onto his back. After opponent on back, use arms to head-lock opponent and you would usually try to use your free leg to hook opponent's free leg (non-fgure 4'ed leg) to further isolate him.

Last edited:
Also, I was referring to move some call "banana split" in my earlier OP when I reffered to "can opener" - we used either of those terms for figure-4 leg in and reaching across to bar-leg with arms....rolling opponent backwards onto back while pulling legs in opposite directions (not sure if everybody uses those terms interchangeably for that move). Also, some use "grapevine" to describe using your legs to tie and split opponents legs from a pancake position - we would have called that double-grapevinig opponent's legs, but the move we called "a grapevine" was executed from same starting position as banana split....one boot in and reaching across and taking far arm rather than far leg. Pull arm around your neck as you take opponent backwards onto his back. After opponent on back, use arms to head-lock opponent and you would usually try to use your free leg to hook opponent's free leg (non-fgure 4'ed leg) to further isolate him.
split eagle!

The Sanders move was pretty cool as he kind of "reverse Spladled" him in regards to the action of his leg-turk and leg--bar using arms (instead of traditional turk, he reverse turked him) - it did allow him to get better positioning to record the fall. Simmons video was the more traditional Spladle that I have seen with a traditional turked leg on one side and you could see how hard it was for him to get his opponents blades flat because of opponent's head/shoulder position being somewhat on top of pinning wrestler.

In any event, traditional Spladle somewhat akin to a "head inside" banana split - there is not a lot of room on the head-inside position because pinning wrestler is pulling opponent towards himself.

My most memorable spladle for me was at the 1987 NCAA final at U of Maryland. Brad Penrith, with match in hand, continued shooting on Billy Kelly. The Iowa fans were counting the championship points when Kelly spladles Penrith- crowd goes wild (except Iowa fans). ISU and Jim Gibbons edge Iowa in the "Year of the X".

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
My most memorable spladle for me was at the 1987 NCAA final at U of Maryland. Brad Penrith, with match in hand, continued shooting on Billy Smith. The Iowa fans were counting the championship points when Smith spladles Penrith- crowd goes wild (except Iowa fans). ISU and Jim Gibbons edge Iowa in the "Year of the X".

Was it the following year that Jim Martin turned Penrith in the finals to win?

The pinning area on a wrestler is not just the shoulder blades. It is a square area that comes down below the shoulder blades to about the middle of the back.

Reactions: Wrassler223
In addition to clucas' point above ... the spladle is difficult to escape from but not impossible.

2012 PA state finals, scroll to 5:45: Mike Racciato spladled Austin Matthews in the center of the mat. Shortly after the 5 swipes, Matthews wriggled his leg free and scored a reversal.

that ref was great

That was also a great match with a lot of action. I liked the little maneuver at the end where Racciato started backing up and when the other wrestler straightened up thinking there was no more action, Racciato shot in for a double. I wonder if that would work under reversed circumstances. If a wrestler was behind by a point and needed a takedown, he might be able to bait his opponent by acting like he was conceding the match. If his opponent were to fall for this and straighten up and drop his hands, the opening would be there. It's a gamble on the part of the wrestler who is behind, but I've seen the same in football games where the last play is something risky that fools the other team's defense.

Reactions: hlstone
That was also a great match with a lot of action. I liked the little maneuver at the end where Racciato started backing up and when the other wrestler straightened up thinking there was no more action, Racciato shot in for a double. I wonder if that would work under reversed circumstances. If a wrestler was behind by a point and needed a takedown, he might be able to bait his opponent by acting like he was conceding the match. If his opponent were to fall for this and straighten up and drop his hands, the opening would be there. It's a gamble on the part of the wrestler who is behind, but I've seen the same in football games where the last play is something risky that fools the other team's defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT