ADVERTISEMENT

Nice article on PSU commit Cael Nasdeo

creamery freak

Jul 26, 2014
Where does he fit into the plans? Just a room guy, or are they looking for him to contribute somewhere? I haven't heard his name before (but I don't follow PIAA wrestling much, either). I love his attitude anyway. Hopefully, he has or can develop the skills to match.

Reactions: creamery freak
Where does he fit into the plans? Just a room guy, or are they looking for him to contribute somewhere? I haven't heard his name before (but I don't follow PIAA wrestling much, either). I love his attitude anyway. Hopefully, he has or can develop the skills to match.
His projection is closer to Donovon Ball than to Aaron Brooks.

That's not a slight -- Aaron Brooks types don't grow on trees. (Though it sure seems that way at PSU.)

He'll have a chance to contribute. But as a SR 121, he'll need to add some size and strength.

A great attitude and dominant performance!
I love this kid's attitude. I'm rooting for him. We'll see. 125 is still obviously a major question mark unless Robbie can stay healthy, but Steen is a 2x PIAA champ and that didn't mean much in the B1G.

Reactions: therod
I love this kid's attitude. I'm rooting for him. We'll see. 125 is still obviously a major question mark unless Robbie can stay healthy, but Steen is a 2x PIAA champ and that didn't mean much in the B1G.
Steen's championships were also at 113, it seems adding muscle has slowed him down and he wasn't super fast to begin with.

One nice thing about Nasdeo is his top game. He's got a long ways to go to even make the lineup, but that is a nice tool to start with. He will need to add a lot of size and strength to make it translate.
I imagine Nasdeo isn't getting much beyond book money from PSU (and obviously some NIL opportunities for being a PSU wrestler) Imagine a PA AAA state champ who is a career 125 can get a solid partial at most schools. Love getting these kind of guys chasing their dreams.

I imagine Nasdeo isn't getting much beyond book money from PSU (and obviously some NIL opportunities for being a PSU wrestler) Imagine a PA AAA state champ who is a career 125 can get a solid partial at most schools. Love getting these kind of guys chasing their dreams.
Wasn't there a recent rule change re: the 9.9?

I thought I read or heard if a kid gets anything, 0.25 is the minimum.

As a follow-on. Given the critical components of birth nutrition and weight management unique to wrestling, do the kids get some sort of managed meal plan? I can see where meals are a non-scholy allocated benefit to all the kids on the team. Probably not, but It worth some clarification from this in the know.

Steen's championships were also at 113, it seems adding muscle has slowed him down and he wasn't super fast to begin with.
In retrospect, what a blessing Jordan Conaway was.

Won the PIAA AAA crown at 112# in 2011; plenty of doubts whether he would be big enough to compete at the college weights; Cael liked him and brought him in late in the recruiting process.

Conaway proved to be very capable at 125 and even at 133; just a really good kid and tough as nails.

All we need is another Jordan Conaway to solidify the lightweights, but finding one like that is awfully hard.

Wasn't there a recent rule change re: the 9.9?

I thought I read or heard if a kid gets anything, 0.25 is the minimum.
9.9 is still the number. The new language around athletic-related scholarship money states that any student-athlete on scholarship (again, athletic-related only) shall receive at least 20% of the cost.

Reactions: hlstone
In retrospect, what a blessing Jordan Conaway was.

Won the PIAA AAA crown at 112# in 2011; plenty of doubts whether he would be big enough to compete at the college weights; Cael liked him and brought him in late in the recruiting process.

Conaway proved to be very capable at 125 and even at 133; just a really good kid and tough as nails.

All we need is another Jordan Conaway to solidify the lightweights, but finding one like that is awfully hard.
Conaway's win over Orange DiJulius at the one BJC dual with tOSU was everything you could ask for in a PA kid wrestler.

Goes down early, keeps his head up, attacks, owns, ends on top with a brutal ride and a big smile.

Conaway's win over Orange DiJulius at the one BJC dual with tOSU was everything you could ask for in a PA kid wrestler.

Goes down early, keeps his head up, attacks, owns, ends on top with a brutal ride and a big smile.

Watching this again this morning, it's pretty funny how Jim Gibbons loses his mind over the stoppage at about 2:08 when Jeff Cook, the ref, was CLEARLY doing the 5 count for an ankle ride (which is why he stopped it). I like Jim Gibbons but put this one in the "awful announcing" category.

Watching this again this morning, it's pretty funny how Jim Gibbons loses his mind over the stoppage at about 2:08 when Jeff Cook, the ref, was CLEARLY doing the 5 count for an ankle ride (which is why he stopped it). I like Jim Gibbons but put this one in the "awful announcing" category.
I think that was the first year for that rule, so maybe Jim forgot about it. Not a pro move, but perhaps more forgiveable.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT