ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's MD game moved to Friday night....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Will this make tickets more available for PSU fans???

Did PSU have to agree to this?

Coming off a bye week, so this won't be a short week of preparation..... MD will also be coming off a bye week.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...-Friday-Night-at-Maryland-in-2019--126164189/

The first matchup between James Franklin and new Maryland head coach Mike Locksley will take place on a Friday evening. The Maryland athletic department announced on Monday morning that the 2019 installment of the game will take place on Friday, Sept. 27. The change has already been reflected on Penn State football’s official Web Site as well.

Last edited:
Why would we fight it?

More exposure, and timing works coming off a bye with an extra day to prepare for the following week.

More exposure? Lmao. Hell this year many fans didn’t even get the channel the game was on.

Maryland is all excited tweeting about it. You know your program has hit rock bottom when you get excited about playing on a Friday night.

More exposure? Lmao. Hell this year many fans didn’t even get the channel the game was on.

Maryland is all excited tweeting about it. You know your program has hit rock bottom when you get excited about playing on a Friday night.
Who doesn’t get FS1 in 2018 (that cares at all about sports)?

Reactions: psugisher

Yea I think Illinois was excited too, for about a half. :D

Reactions: JJTopp99
I kind of like this but the worst part will be fighting DC area traffic on late Friday afternoon trying to get to the game.
Fvck me. Frodo and Sam had an easier time getting into Mordor.
tumblr_n13i6yonRl1rrecxqo2_500.gif

Why would we fight it?

More exposure, and timing works coming off a bye with an extra day to prepare for the following week.
Agree. It’s at MD and would love the Friday night lights vs. the Terps. There will never be a Friday nighter in the SC!

Best solution for me is to buy a parking pass and drive up mid-afternoon from my office near Union Market. Take in the sights, visit the mathematics library, get a good meal with a drink or two, and then enjoy the curb-stomping.

Isn't all the parking doubling as faculty/staff parking during the day?

nah, dinner and drinks more likely at Town Hall. Unless he wonders up to the Starlight!! (which may require time travel)
While studying for my qualifying exams I'd work from 8-2 in an empty classroom on Saturdays and then mosey up Rte 1 to the Starlight. Remember how you'd have to drive downhill to the parking lot behind the bar? That was a nice bar, as skeevy as they come but the girls were nice and the draft was cheap.

I'm more disappointed that we have yet another season with a home game on Thanksgiving weekend. Hate those.

Reactions: Obliviax
Will this make tickets more available for PSU fans???

Tickets to a MD football game are easy to get, except when PSU comes to town. The stadium holds over 51K and their highest attendance last year was 38,177, and that was Ohio State. Tickets won't be a problem. Now if you want bball tickets, that's another story.

Reactions: BBrown
Well, if IIRC, Meyer refused to play a Friday night game. Therefore, OSU did not have to play in one.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/#2018wk1

FS1's 2018 Friday Night B10 Games:

PSU - Illinois 1.17 M viewers
Indiana - Minnesota 335 K viewers

Other FS1 Friday Night Games:
SDState - Stanford 596 K
UCA - Colorado 840 K
Colorado - Arizona 474 K
Oregon - Oregon St 945 K (day after Thanksgiving)

ESPN/ESPN2's Friday Night Games Yielded Viewership of:
1.1 MM
1.0 MM
420 K
1.1 MM
1.1 MM
and
623 K

FS1's Friday Night Games in 2017... averaged just over 900 K

PSU's other games (couldn't find numbers for App St, Kent, MSU, or Rutgers in 2018..... did find them for the PSU-Akron game in 2017 - - - - 2.3 MM)

Pitt 3.3 MM
OSU 9.1 MM
Indiana 3.1 MM (maybe the best "comp for the PSU - Illinois game)
Iowa 3.3 MM
Michigan 4.2 MM
Wisconsin 2.3 MM

Whatever reasons there may be, or may have been assumed, to have Friday Night games, "exposure" certainly wasn't one of them (or, if it was, it was a colossal "fail").

Whatever reasons there may be, or may have been assumed, to have Friday Night games, "exposure" certainly wasn't one of them (or, if it was, it was a colossal "fail").

It goes back to Delaney's most recent TV contract negotiations where he promised them an increased number of conference games (one reason for the 9 game schedule) available for inventory among the ABC/ESPN/Fox/BTN contract $$. In order to hit the broadcast numbers, the Big10 agreed to Friday night games and removing the "no night games in Nov" rule they used to have in place. I am not sure, but the willingness to play on the Saturday after Thanksgiving might have been another concession, but perhaps that change pre-dated the most recent TV contracts.

If it were Pitt, the move to Friday would be met with derision. Friday night should be about high school football and, for me, it will be. Not that anyone will notice, or care, but I will not watch the game and will attend a high school game instead.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/#2018wk1

FS1's 2018 Friday Night B10 Games:

PSU - Illinois 1.17 M viewers
Indiana - Minnesota 335 K viewers

Other FS1 Friday Night Games:
SDState - Stanford 596 K
UCA - Colorado 840 K
Colorado - Arizona 474 K
Oregon - Oregon St 945 K (day after Thanksgiving)

ESPN/ESPN2's Friday Night Games Yielded Viewership of:
1.1 MM
1.0 MM
420 K
1.1 MM
1.1 MM
and
623 K

FS1's Friday Night Games in 2017... averaged just over 900 K

PSU's other games (couldn't find numbers for App St, Kent, MSU, or Rutgers in 2018..... did find them for the PSU-Akron game in 2017 - - - - 2.3 MM)

Pitt 3.3 MM
OSU 9.1 MM
Indiana 3.1 MM (maybe the best "comp for the PSU - Illinois game)
Iowa 3.3 MM
Michigan 4.2 MM
Wisconsin 2.3 MM

Did I miss something? Where does it say it will be carried on FS1? Little early for that to be determined.

BTW, viewership of the Kent St game was 893k. Reason you couldn't find the other games is because they were on BTN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT