ADVERTISEMENT

New "Paterno" trailer

I have no doubt people on both sides of the "Paterno issue" will make judgments before they see the movie. I will not be one of them. Regardless of what I see or hear before the movie's release, I will watch it with an open mind and then make a judgment.

The movie isn't even going to be CLOSE to a documentary.

I don't particularly love Paterno --- but I can say with a 100% certainty that this movie isn't going to be fair.

Paterno released a dumb statement on the morning of 9-November-2011. That is part of the historical record. What is NOT part of the historical record is putting these words in Paterno's mouth: "“I raised millions of dollars for this university. I have a staff and a squad that can win a national championship. You wanna fire me? Try it,”

hbo peaked when they would show The Sailer Who Fell From Grace With the Sea every weekend around midnight.

Wasn't there a thread a week or so ago where an actor said the movie actually portrayed JVP in a decent light? Why was that thread deleted?

Reactions: step.eng69
Well, I am going to watch it with popcorn.:)

GreenImaginativeAlligatorsnappingturtle-max-1mb.gif

Certainly looked to me like an unflattering “win at all costs” view of Paterno. That said, it also looked like they might be playing the “Paterno might have been slightly senile” angle as well. Sue (assuming that’s who it was supposed to be) looks a little too callous for my taste. And holy £¥€|< does it look like they’re making little miss pullizer out to be the epic heroine.

I don’t have hbo anymore...I won’t miss it this spring.

Joe is either senile or he's Ted Bundy. The dark music is a nice touch. Of course the movie also makes the fans look like the Walking Dead and Sarah like Mother Theresa.
This movie will give Sarah the Zero a boost in publicity as I'm sure she'll do the interview circuit talking about how awful we are. Too bad Bernie wasn't here to celebrate with her.

I don't particularly love Paterno --- but I can say with a 100% certainty that this movie isn't going to be fair.

Paterno released a dumb statement on the morning of 9-November-2011. That is part of the historical record. What is NOT part of the historical record is putting these words in Paterno's mouth: "“I raised millions of dollars for this university. I have a staff and a squad that can win a national championship. You wanna fire me? Try it,”
I certainly never expected a documentary. I have hopes it will be more balanced than most here think. We'll see.

I do watch TV but I don't believe much of what is said and for good reason. When profit is the driving force behind any form of entertainment expect sensationalism to outweigh accuracy and the truth.

Reactions: PSUPride1
I do watch TV but I don't believe much of what is said and for good reason. When profit is the driving force behind any form of entertainment expect sensationalism to outweigh accuracy and the truth.
^^ totally agree. so much money was made off of Paterno in 2011 by the media, why not one more bite at the apple? Nevermind he did more for youths than all of them put together.

hbo peaked when they would show The Sailer Who Fell From Grace With the Sea every weekend around midnight.
For me, it was over when they did the story on the 2000 election and flat out lied about the supreme court's decisions. there were two, BTW.

The last line with Sue and Joe made it look like Joe didn't know his kids were in the pool with Jerry. They made him look as if "oh shit, MY kids were in the pool with Jerry?!? Why would you allow that!?!" As if to say, Joe knew.

WTF EVER!

Joe is either senile or he's Ted Bundy. The dark music is a nice touch. Of course the movie also makes the fans look like the Walking Dead and Sarah like Mother Theresa.
This movie will give Sarah the Zero a boost in publicity as I'm sure she'll do the interview circuit talking about how awful we are. Too bad Bernie wasn't here to celebrate with her.
Let me know where Bernie is buried. I gotta take a leak.

No one was happier that bernie croaked than our Sara. What was that cause of death again?

The last line with Sue and Joe made it look like Joe didn't know his kids were in the pool with Jerry. They made him look as if "oh shit, MY kids were in the pool with Jerry?!? Why would you allow that!?!" As if to say, Joe knew.

WTF EVER!

It’s actually more subtle/nefarious - it’s worded to suggest Paterno *knew* Jerry was a pedophile and *still* allowed his kids in the pool with him.

Reactions: Langmuir
It’s actually more subtle/nefarious - it’s worded to suggest Paterno *knew* Jerry was a pedophile and *still* allowed his kids in the pool with him.
Joe was obviously too preoccupied with winning to care about his his kids playing with a child rapist in the pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lion Lineage
I have no doubt people on both sides of the "Paterno issue" will make judgments before they see the movie. I will not be one of them. Regardless of what I see or hear before the movie's release, I will watch it with an open mind and then make a judgment.
Same. There's enough drama that the story doesn't need to be sensationalized.

I guess we'll see.

Reactions: fairgambit

He was just trying to be honest unlike 99% of everyone else involved. Some people DO have morals. You know; honesty is the best policy. All that BS...

From what I’ve gathered over the last 1/3 of my life is that being honest just makes everyone else’s job easier. It doesn’t soften your punishment one bit.

Suppose I’ll be looking out for my sons best interest when I teach him to cover his tracks and keep his mouth shut when adversity strikes.

He was just trying to be honest unlike 99% of everyone else involved. Some people DO have morals. You know; honesty is the best policy. All that BS...

From what I’ve gathered over the last 1/3 of my life is that being honest just makes everyone else’s job easier. It doesn’t soften your punishment one bit.

Suppose I’ll be looking out for my sons best interest when I teach him to cover his tracks and keep his mouth shut when adversity strikes.

As the saying goes, “honest to a fault”.

I'm gonna watch it. My guess is that it will land somewhere in the middle which will make both sides of the Joe-Pa argument angry.

I'm willing to bet that having HBO do a feature movie about PSU football doesn't make HCJF all that upset.

My immediate reaction was opposite when I saw that - I thought it shed a possibility that Joe didn't actually know at the time what Jerry was doing....

I guess my bottom line is that it is being directed by Barry Levinson and I have a lot of respect for his work.
You want a better view of what this Second Mile Scandal was really about - see another Barry Levinson Masterpiece:

Now just replace "Washington DC" with Harrisburg and replace "the President" with "One Term Tommy" and you can see the motive and real life behind-the-scenes action on which this public "Story" about PSU is based - POLITICAL COVERUP. Paterno & PSU Football "win at all costs" is just the professionally contrived mantra fed to the public which provided the wood necessary to create the Harrisburg smokescreen!!!

SORRY....This is the unfortunate reality ----- Levinson's "Paterno" is just one more fiction added to the public's mindset so that the overwhelming evidence which refutes a "Scandal at Paterno's Penn State" is dismissed by the public. Pays to hire "Professionals" when you plan a political "Hit". REAL FACT....Check Tommy's budget showing an unprecedented & EXCESSIVE use of "Consultants" when all this PSU stuff happened.

One question - following Levinson's prior film, "Wag the Dog".....How come Paterno didn't get at least a Willy Nelson song out of this???? The War with Albania did!! (See the Trailer above)

This^^^^...where in God’s name did they come up with that quote? Joe didn’t talk national championship even in years he did have a national championship caliber squad, and 2011 wasn’t one of those squads. And I would bet a year’s salary Joe never threw how much money he raised for the school in anyone’s face. Maybe they brought in BOT members to advise on the movie along with Sara the whore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT