ADVERTISEMENT

New ad from Gillette:

totally agree. the next time I look to a corporation for moral guidance will be the first time. I can say with 99.99% certainty a bunch of people sat in a room and discussed the financial benefits of running such an add. The decision was made to use it based on an excel spread sheet. If they thought they'd make money by producing a pro-ISIS commercial, that would be on halftime of the superbowl. They are playing people...simple as that.

Just like the movie WarGames, the only way to win this game is not to play.

I sure have not seen anyone here expressing their certainty the Gillette has a perfect record. And I dont care who brings up this topic so long as it gets brought up.

Neither have I nor was that my point. This company should acknowledge past and current wrongs, be transparent and lead by example and not just talk about it with "woke" PR. They should be doing things like you are in your personal life, then talking about it; following your example if you will. I don't necessarily disagree with your second sentence. However, if Ted Bundy were on here telling people murder is wrong, I'm sure it would give most pause as to whether or not to back his play.

Sorry, I must conclude that Gillette doesn't really care, they just want to make it appear like they care.

Of course. That's the only reason they did this. Use a social stigma for their own marketing purposes. No different than Nike and Kaepernick.

Isn’t the gist of the ad “ do unto others as you would have them do unto you”?

Why the disagreements? By the way, I am as religious as a rock.

Reactions: demlion

Neither have I nor was that my point. This company should acknowledge past and current wrongs, be transparent and lead by example and not just talk about it with "woke" PR. They should be doing things like you are in your personal life, then talking about it; following your example if you will. I don't necessarily disagree with your second sentence. However, if Ted Bundy were on here telling people murder is wrong, I'm sure it would give most pause as to whether or not to back his play.

Maybe they should just sell stuff and forget about this social justice as they say it is. Maybe they should use their brains and not hire radical feminists to direct video adds like this?

Reactions: dailybuck777
Of course. That's the only reason they did this. Use a social stigma for their own marketing purposes. No different than Nike and Kaepernick.
Actually, if all they wanted was to use their concern about the problem to promote sales, they put up some stats and a strongly worded disapproval of DV or Sexual harassment and a pledge to donate.

Not what they did. They are challenging men to be better leaders in their families and their communities.

Maybe they should just sell stuff and forget about this social justice as they say it is. Maybe they should use their brains and not hire radical feminists to direct video adds like this?
Maybe that is up to them, and not you.

Nope. Just political correctness. A first amendment-protected expression of belief that offended you, so you got all worked up. PC all the way.

PC is when I dont pay the proper deference to some thing you hold dear, and you complain about it. I dismiss and minimize your complaints by calling them PC. I know you guys want that to be ONLY about race and gender, so you can dismiss those concerns while still maintaining your fake patriotism, but the same thing applies. Too bad.

Great comeback! o_O Sick burn!

I get your rules now, as long as people agree with your political views, they can be offended about anything. When people don't agree with you politically, you ridicule them for being offended about something. That makes you not only a hypocrite but also a bigot.

Let me know when you stop hating our country and our soldiers out there dying for you, jackass.

I get your rules now, as long as people agree with your political views, they can be offended about anything. When people don't agree with you politically, you ridicule them for being offended about something. That makes you not only a hypocrite but also a bigot.

Let me know when you stop hating our country and our soldiers out there dying for you, jackass.
You're right.

Waiting for Demlion, aligned with the teachings of Gillett regarding objectifying women and that (real) men should intervene, to make the necessary comments relative to "who's the hottest". To your point, it would seem that selective adherence (and selective offenses) prevail.

Waaaah! I said he was PC and he turned it around on me! Mommy!!!! Make it stop! LOL!

well, there are some basic issues we can all agree on. Violence against women is certainly one...but I don't think Gillett telling me that helps me or anyone else. in fact, it is condescending. Now posting pictures of scantily clad women, cat calling, calling your wait staff 'sweetie' and/or telling a women she needs to smile more are more nuanced levels of granularity. Not sure what Gillette thinks of these things.

You said this diseased culture was the main factor in the victimization of women. If it was the main factor, then before it existed there must have been very little or no victimization. This is not some theory or bluff, it is the natural meaning of the words you used. You are just ranting, it makes no sense.

Meanwhile, PC dominates your thinking. Was the reaction of so called conservatives to the NFL guys kneeling for the National Anthem political correctness? Yes or no? Sure seemed like they were offended by another person's expression of belief.

Lol.
This is simply an evolution of society. Women, by nature and by need, were inferior to men 200 years ago. At that time, all cultures were based on physical work. In addition, women bore children and, even the strongest of them, was marginalized by getting pregnant. And, they could not control pregnancy other than abstinence.

Suddenly, the pill was invented. A massive inflection point in history. Women could control pregnancy to the point where it became a choice. At the same time, we evolved from farming to industrial to predominantly a white collar society. Suddenly, in the last 50 years, physical strength was no longer a key success factor in the majority of jobs.

The problem is, historically, men and women are different and this is hard coded. Physically and mentally, we are different. So society is adjusting to the new roles of both men and women. Only recently, as being a house husband been considered OK by society. A house husband allows the mother to work and not depend on marginal and problematic nannying of kids.

So here we are. Some societies, some families, have advanced faster than others. it doesn't mean they are good or bad. But we can all agree that violence is not to be tolerated. We can all agree that harassment is not cool. We can all agree that men and women should be valued similarly in business. I do not agree that asking a girl on a date is harassment. Trying to get a kiss, but yielding to a "no" is not harassment. Holding the door, admiring, letting a woman go first, paying for a date....all of these are marginal calls and, personally, have no idea what women want. So I quit letting gals go first and holding doors.

If you understand how we got here, you'll understand why there is conflict. And, personally, while I may agree with Gellette, I resent them doing this. just my opinion. I don't want companies telling me what to think or do. In addition, I will not think of women as defenseless and in need of protection. Consistent with women's groups messaging, they are capable. If so, then they are capable of NOT being victims. Own your shit and take care of yourself.

Reactions: dailybuck777
BTW, TMZ is reporting that it seems Gladys Knight is no fan of Colin K's.

Gladys Knight says she not only disagrees with Colin Kaepernick using the national anthem as a protest, but she also says she's been in the game a lot longer than him when it comes to the fight for social justice.

Gladys doubled down on her decision to sing the anthem at the upcoming Super Bowl, saying, "I have been in the forefront of this battle longer than most of those voicing their opinions to win the right to sing our country's Anthem on a stage as large as the Super Bowl LIII."

She goes on ... "It is unfortunate that our National Anthem has been dragged into this debate when the distinctive senses of the National Anthem and fighting for justice should each stand alone."

That said, Gladys does not doubt Colin's intentions ... "I understand that Mr. Kaepernick is protesting two things, and they are police violence and injustice," the 74-year-old legend said in a statement.​

Reactions: Howie'81
It has always been my general practice to try not to offend people. As someone said, when someone tells me their name, I call them by it. If they point out I'm saying it wrong, I change it. Just politeness.

But if someone whines about PC all the time, they are signalling me that they are happy to offend me, then dismiss my concerns as meaningless.

MFer, I can play that game at least as well as most folks, and I guarantee that my contempt for your beliefs can get pretty thorough.

Dem - I've tuned into this thread only sporadically (and I think the ad is dumb and unlikely to result in more razors being sold)...but may I suggest that you step away from the keyboard and go get a drink?

Dem - I've tuned into this thread only sporadically (and I think the ad is dumb and unlikely to result in more razors being sold)...but may I suggest that you step away from the keyboard and go get a drink?
Dont drink.

He sure did. If I am not mistaken he was found or pled guilty, too. It could be for that reason he has a deeper understanding of this than most.
Ha. Too bad that commercial wasnt produced fifteen years ago or, I am sure, he would have known better

Reactions: sgw107
Ha. Too bad that commercial wasnt produced fifteen years ago or, I am sure, he would have known better

Can we all agree that far politicians, Corporate Executives and Hollywood's elite have always taken advantage of women. For crying out loud Hollywood has systematically dehumanized and sexually abused women of all ages for a solid century and not one word from anyone. Now P&G (Gillette) decides to debut a video to the General Public lecturing young men on how to act around women but refusing to acknowledge that a profoundly bigger problem lies elsewhere.

Last edited:
The only people that find this threatening or talking about it being threatening are those pushing Gillette. So I'm supposed to care what a corporation thinks? I should purchase and live according to their message? Yeah, the same groups that rail corporate America daily expect us to now follow their message. Lmao. Talk about hypocrisy. Love those 99%'s. They sure love their iPhone's as well. I live my life according to principles instilled by my parents, not corporate America. Utter nonsense.

Reactions: RU31trap
The only people that find this threatening or talking about it being threatening are those pushing Gillette. So I'm supposed to care what a corporation thinks? I should purchase and live according to their message? Yeah, the same groups that rail corporate America daily expect us to now follow their message. Lmao. Talk about hypocrisy. Love those 99%'s. They sure love their iPhone's as well. I live my life according to principles instilled by my parents, not corporate America. Utter nonsense.
Amy Siskind finds it nonthreatening, and very positive. How does this support your idea that the only people threatened by this are pro-Gillette?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT