ADVERTISEMENT

New ad from Gillette:

I’d say very good message, average delivery.

Some parts make sense. Other parts seem to ignore that most men are attracted to women. Maybe that makes it average overall. But those individual parts are very poor.

What are your thoughts on this demlion?
1.That if women were going to be able to stop DV on their own, they would have long since done it.
2.That theres a reason that almost every mass shooter is a man.
3. That the most likely place for a woman to be murdered is her own home.
4. That the most dangerous time of an abused woman's life is when she leaves; yet you and me and others all still say " why didnt she leave?" when she stays and gets killed.

Just a few. DV IS A MEN'S PROBLEM, but we treat it as a women's problem.

I miss the days where companies just advertised their product, often with humor. Getting so tired of the politically correct virtue signaling in ads anymore. Gillette is apparently taking a beating on twitter over the ad.

I miss the days where companies just advertised their product, often with humor. Getting so tired of the politically correct virtue signaling in ads anymore. Gillette is apparently taking a beating on twitter over the ad.
So they should not signal their virtue, because what Twitter thinks is NOT virtue signaling. Got it.

Some parts make sense. Other parts seem to ignore that most men are attracted to women. Maybe that makes it average overall. But those individual parts are very poor.

The gang of boys chancing the one boy bothered me... been there.
The scene where the dad tells his son 'that's not how we act' or something when he was wrestling with the other boy... that is 'boys being boys'
The scene in the board room was very poorly done. In my 30+ years in corporate America I've never seen that done... ever. I have seen where a group of people focus negative feedback on one person, or worse twist what one person says against them and then have one or two people 'refocus' the group - never a "hand to the shoulder and 'I think what she was trying to say'"
I have witnessed 'men' acting like inbreed horn dogs when a nice, shapely woman walks by... and I've witnessed other men telling them to keep it in their pants

Parts were done 'ok', delivery was sorely lacking

1.That if women were going to be able to stop DV on their own, they would have long since done it.
4. That the most dangerous time of an abused woman's life is when she leaves; yet you and me and others all still say " why didnt she leave?" when she stays and gets killed.

Fundamental statistics problem here:

1) Most mass shooters, spouse abusers, etc. are men

2) Most men are NOT mass shooters, spouse abusers, etc.

The messaging trick here is how to get men to mobilize and deal with the issues of DV without inadvertently lumping us all into group (1) and thus triggering a defensive reaction instead.

Fundamental statistics problem here:

1) Most mass shooters, spouse abusers, etc. are men

2) Most men are NOT mass shooters, spouse abusers, etc.

The messaging trick here is how to get men to mobilize and deal with the issues of DV without inadvertently lumping us all into group (1) and thus triggering a defensive reaction instead.
He asked me what I thought about it. I'm not a marketer.

The gang of boys chancing the one boy bothered me... been there.
The scene where the dad tells his son 'that's not how we act' or something when he was wrestling with the other boy... that is 'boys being boys'
The scene in the board room was very poorly done. In my 30+ years in corporate America I've never seen that done... ever. I have seen where a group of people focus negative feedback on one person, or worse twist what one person says against them and then have one or two people 'refocus' the group - never a "hand to the shoulder and 'I think what she was trying to say'"
I have witnessed 'men' acting like inbreed horn dogs when a nice, shapely woman walks by... and I've witnessed other men telling them to keep it in their pants

Parts were done 'ok', delivery was sorely lacking
I agree....I’ve been with a Fortune 500 company for 30 years and have never seen anything like that, ever.

Reactions: dailybuck777
The great thing about capitalism is that consumers have choices. They have the choice to choose the best products available

Reactions: harbest

I agree with all you said. However, I didn’t grow up seeing any DV in my family nor was I aware of any amongst my friends.

And for Gillette to carry the torch on this issue just seems strange to me. I’m one that wishes companies, musicians, and actors would simply take the Michael Jordan approach to their craft. So for Gillette to lump in and generalize all males with DV/SA/SH is silly and unfair, IMO. But again, I agree with your reply. Just not sure what it has to do with Gillette.

I miss the days where i.... rode my bike while beating-off*
tenor.gif

I agree with all you said. However, I didn’t grow up seeing any DV in my family nor was I aware of any amongst my friends.

And for Gillette to carry the torch on this issue just seems strange to me. I’m one that wishes companies, musicians, and actors would simply take the Michael Jordan approach to their craft. So for Gillette to lump in and generalize all males is silly and unfair, IMO. But again, I agree with what your reply. Just not sure what it has to do with Gillette.
I did not see the ad as saying all males do this stuff. Indeed they showed SOME males getting involved in changing it.

Gillette is owned by P&G. You ever buy razors for your wife? Me neither. I seldom buy razors for myself, because it's about a 2-3 strip on my neck and that's it.

So all the razors in my house are bought by women. She knows I dont give as damn.

Isn't it possible Gillette has written this ad for the women who buy most of the product?

I did not see the ad as saying all males do this stuff. Indeed they showed SOME males getting involved in changing it.

Gillette is owned by P&G. You ever buy razors for your wife? Me neither. I seldom buy razors for myself, because it's about a 2-3 strip on my neck and that's it.

So all the razors in my house are bought by women. She knows I dont give as damn.

Isn't it possible Gillette has written this ad for the women who buy most of the product?
Yes, you very well may be right. I still think it’s risky.

ADVERTISEMENT