ADVERTISEMENT

Neutral field vs TCU…

that stat is misleading, or even meaningless. In 2005 we defeated Ohio State when they were #6. They ended up #4. That would not count as a top 5 win, which is nonsense. There are probably other examples.
This is a fair point the whole "we beat a ranked team" doesn't mean a whole lot if 5 weeks later we determine that team was trash

that stat is misleading, or even meaningless. In 2005 we defeated Ohio State when they were #6. They ended up #4. That would not count as a top 5 win, which is nonsense. There are probably other examples.
If you rerank our wins over ranked opponents using ranking as season's end, our record is not very good. Actually worse. We have a lot of wins over teams that were ranked when we played them but not at season's end. This is not an argument you want to make.

Reactions: zubrus1
looking at the last 4 weeks....PSU seems to be about the 10th best program this year. Right there with Oregon, TCU, Clemson perhaps...........

If playing well, PSU could beat all 3 of those teams........

Need to beat MD, MSU and Rutgers and go to a decent bowl game to help the young players get ready for next year........ Need a few big bodies for OL and DL and perhaps a big talented WR to scare some defenses.........

Reactions: jimarnp
looking at the last 4 weeks....PSU seems to be about the 10th best program this year. Right there with Oregon, TCU, Clemson perhaps...........

If playing well, PSU could beat all 3 of those teams........

Need to beat MD, MSU and Rutgers and go to a decent bowl game to help the young players get ready for next year........ Need a few big bodies for OL and DL and perhaps a big talented WR to scare some defenses.........
Not sure we can beat Oregon. TCU maybe. Clemson--yes. But Clemson is extremely overrated playing cupcakes all season.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
This is a fair point the whole "we beat a ranked team" doesn't mean a whole lot if 5 weeks later we determine that team was trash
Who is the “we”? Been listening to the same garbage for decades. Listen to the same “experts” state before Penn State plays (pick a team) that Penn State will lose. Immediately after Penn State wins the first thing out of their mouths (or posted) is well that team wasn’t any good any way.

Who is the “we”? Been listening to the same garbage for decades. Listen to the same “experts” state before Penn State plays (pick a team) that Penn State will lose. Immediately after Penn State wins the first thing out of their mouths (or posted) is well that team wasn’t any good any way.
Any team. For example Ohio State beat #5 Notre Dame but they weren't a top 5 team--maybe a 20-25 type team, Kentucky beating Florida, etc. This isn't a "Penn State" thing

Since 2016 vs AP Top Ten:

Alabama 14-6
Clemson 10-5
LSU 15-8
Ohio State 17-5
Michigan 4-12
Oklahoma 8-5
USC 3-7
Oregon 4-3
Georgia 14-7
Notre Dame 3-8
Wisconsin 5-9
Miami 1-5
Florida 5-10
Utah 3-5
Texas 5-7
Texas A&M 5-11
Penn State 2-12

I needed to see other school’s records vs top 10 to give PSU’s context.

I think PSU would match up well against TCU. We really only get curb stomped by the extremely physical team that run down our throats. I’d probably take TCU however, accounting for Clifford playing mediocre and TCU just out scoring PSU in the end.

Reactions: bison13
I think PSU would match up well against TCU. We really only get curb stomped by the extremely physical team that run down our throats. I’d probably take TCU however, accounting for Clifford playing mediocre and TCU just out scoring PSU in the end.
TCU hasn’t played a defense in the same class as ours. Not even close.

Reactions: summitlion1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT