ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley- My Opinion

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
I don't think his teams will ever win it all. He was trained and tutored by Mike Leach and that is the problem. These basketball on grass teams create a "culture of offense" that becomes their identity. Recruiting, player development and recognition is skewed to the offense and affects recruiting of , or placing of, better athletes on defense. Riley's isn't the only one. Other disciples of Leach include Dana Holgerson at Houston, Sonny Dykes at TCU, Josh Huepel at Tennessee and a few others. Notice any great defenses among Houston, TCU, and Tennessee?

I don't think his teams will ever win it all. He was trained and tutored by Mike Leach and that is the problem. These basketball on grass teams create a "culture of offense" that becomes their identity. Recruiting, player development and recognition is skewed to the offense and affects recruiting of , or placing of, better athletes on defense. Riley's isn't the only one. Other disciples of Leach include Dana Holgerson at Houston, Sonny Dykes at TCU, Josh Huepel at Tennessee and a few others. Notice any great defenses among Houston, TCU, and Tennessee?
Well, except when TCU plays Michigan. Then they have a good enough defense.

I've always thought to win a natty you've got to be able to grind out wins in many different ways. Good teams will take something away from you so you'll have to find a different path to victory. Basketball coaches team that offense is inconsistent, but defense is not—defense is mostly about effort. So you can have an off day, as Allar seemed to have vs NW, and still win.

Riley's teams seem to be focused on offense. His defenses are rarely good. And even when it is, the offense sometimes puts them in a bad position. A key to games is making sure your defense has enough time to spell between possessions. A lot goes on in games that the fans don't see. The injuries, confusion, and emotion on the sidelines are akin to "the fog of war". Defenses are much more likely to be sustained in a volatile environment than offenses.

Just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: step.eng69
I've always thought to win a natty you've got to be able to grind out wins in many different ways. Good teams will take something away from you so you'll have to find a different path to victory. Basketball coaches team that offense is inconsistent, but defense is not—defense is mostly about effort. So you can have an off day, as Allar seemed to have vs NW, and still win.

Riley's teams seem to be focused on offense. His defenses are rarely good. And even when it is, the offense sometimes puts them in a bad position. A key to games is making sure your defense has enough time to spell between possessions. A lot goes on in games that the fans don't see. The injuries, confusion, and emotion on the sidelines are akin to "the fog of war". Defenses are much more likely to be sustained in a volatile environment than offenses.

Just my opinion, of course.
our opinions are pretty close on this one. I didn't elaborate as much

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
Agree until he gets a Manny like DC and gets out of the way. I’d watch out if Freeman exits ND and goes to USC. That would be a combo worth watching.

Agree until he gets a Manny like DC and gets out of the way. I’d watch out if Freeman exits ND and goes to USC. That would be a combo worth watching.
If Freeman keeps making bonehead decisions like last night, it won't be long. I agree though, Freeman is a top notch DC just has NO business as a HC

Riley has 7 years of coaching at OU and USC under his belt. He's never had a good defense. It's definitely a symptom of the high powered offense. For a defense to be good, they have to be protected by the offense (not trotted out every 2 minutes because you scored or punted).

Beating Oregon and Washington is going to be tough. The offense will have to play flawless.

Well in ND’s defense (i can’t believe I’m writing this and defending them) Kelly wasn’t a universally known and renowned scumbag at that time. However given the opportunity 😉😗😌😙🥸🤓😫😩
yeah but he was at Cincinnati and kind of gave off a vibe that wasn't so good, IMO. just seemed a little bit odd to me

wasnt he the coach when a camera person died at an ND practice?

yeah but he was at Cincinnati and kind of gave off a vibe that wasn't so good, IMO. just seemed a little bit odd to me

wasnt he the coach when a camera person died at an ND practice?
Yes, but I was merely stating that he didn’t become a World famous scumbag until the bright lights and fame of the Irish came his way. Urbs “scumbagery” was known to all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT