ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Session 2 Thread

Cutch is on deck Mat 7, behind this Johnson McKeever match.

Just in case everybody wanted to see all of the top 3 team title conteders matches tomorrow morning!

Penn State matches:
Nico vs Youtsey (MICH)
Conaway vs Brewer (OU)
Zain vs Oliver (CMU)
Nolf vs Smith (OKST)
Nickal vs Rogers (OKST)
Mcintosh vs Studebaker (NEB)

Gulibon vs. Nickell (CSUB)
Morelli vs Faust (Duke)
McCutcheon: OUT

Oklahoma State matches:
Heil vs Ward (UNC)
Collica vs Mayes (MIZZ)
Smith vs Nolf
Dieringer vs Weatherman (ISU)
Rogers vs Nickal
Boyd vs Dean (CORNELL)
Marsden vs Coon (MICH)

Klimira : OUT
Harding: OUT
Weigel vs Smith (WVU)

Ohio State matches:
Tomasello vs Peters (UNI)
M. Jordan vs Meredith (WYO)
B. Jordan vs Rodrigues (ILL)
Martin vs Reed (OU)
Snyder vs Dhesi (TOSU)

Dijulius vs Martinez (AF)
Courts: OUT

I personally think that Oklahoma State has the toughest match-ups tomorrow morning (Not that any upsets have happened this tournament or anything….). And not that my opinion means anything but I could easily see Ohio State sending all five into the semis tomorrow, sadly. We’re still in a great spot, just a little closer than I expected! Can’t wait for some exciting matches tomorrow. The two head to heads with Oklahoma State will be HUGE

Last edited:
Jake Ryan gave JoJo Smith all he could handle. I'm wondering how JoJo will fare against Nolf tomorrow. I think Nolf has widened the gap, to be honest.
JoJo is going to come out shooting at the beginning. If he gets a TD he will try to block and move to a 1 point win. If he doesn't get a quick TD Smith will try to slow the pace and see if he can steal TDs close to the end of periods. Hoping Jason comes out with an overwhelming need to shred him. If he makes JoJo wrestle at an unrelenting pace Smith will not keep up.
If he allows Smith to snail pace it things could be tense.

My guess is Jason scores many take downs and wins with a fairly significant point spread.

133 has gone straight to chalk so far 1-8 seeds into the quarters. What do you think, can Jordan take out Brewer? Looks like he's wrestling really well, handled Taylor fairly easily given how badly he struggled against him at B1Gs.

#11 Meyer of Iowa wins at 174. Upsets #4 Ramos of UNC 6-2

Ramos is out of the tourney

Cutch goes down and is out of the tourney.

Just didn't seem himself late in the season.

He fought to the end of this match, but just couldn't finish off his shot when it counted in the 3rd period.

Cutch - We love what you did this year for the Team.

Thanks Matt

Reactions: JBott and Ja1339
Maybe someone else knows the answer to this question.

How hurt is Matt's knee. He hasn't been the same since the knee was hurt again while wrestling Boyd.

184 Consolation R1:
Cutch vs. Jack Dechow (Old Dominion)

Tough matchup for Cutch, but PSU could really use the win.

Per 1
Dechow with a reach, nothing. Lot of ear-to-ear. Nothing thru 1 min. Dechow with a semi shot, nothing. Ear-to-ear again. Now Cutch working on Dechow's head. Nothing thru 1:30. Nothing thru 1 min. Dechow With a head outside single for TD, 0-2, and working on a tilt using the Turk. End. 21 sec of RT for Dechow.

Per 2
Dechow takes down. Dechow up to his feet, then tripped, and then stopped for PD at 1:50. Dechow up quickly again, and is out at 1:45, 0-3. More ear-to-ear. Don't see how that works to Cutch's advantage. OOB with 56 sec. Cutch reaches for an ankle, nothing. Then again, nothing. 30 sec left. Dechow in on a double, Cutch holding onto an ankle, and then stopped for PD with 12 sec. End

Per 3
Cutch takes down. He needs to get active. Caution on Dechow. Cutch to his feet, then down, then to his feet and driven off the mat, and a stall warning to Dechow. 1:44 left. Cutch to 4-point, then to his feet, and out at 1:26, 1-3, then OOB at 1:23. 1 min left. Cutch reaches for an ankle, blocked. Cutch with a reach and Dechow with a throw-by counter for a TD, 1-5. Cutch up to his feet, but they are OOB with 10 sec left. End. With RT, it's a 1-6 loss for Cutch, and his tourney is over.

Truthfully, his offense was MIA today.

Something isn't right with Cutch. He doesn't even look himself.

Just not sure what happened to Cutch this year whether its a combo of injury and losing confidence or what... we will probably not find out but I believe he has 1 of those injuries that you cannot make worse while wrestling on it and won't get better until after the season whether it requires surgery or not .... shame just seemed to slide backwards with that injury

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
While Mouse is a total warrior for wrestling hurt, he's also considerably smaller than everyone he will see in this tournament. It's a disadvantage.

WOW - #2 174 Realbuto loses. Cornell Stud does not get the throw takedown, as time had run out.

Huge for #2 Realbuto to go out of the tourney

Fellas, let's just be honest. I love Cutch, heck we wrestled for the same HS coach, but I have to be honest. Injury aside, he has heart and a style that's not really a PSU push the pace, score points type of style. And to be honest, he has zero athleticism. Again, love him to death and I believe he overachieved last year (and this year until injury) but I'm looking forward to whoever competes for that spot next year. He has no chance of taking 197 & he will be pushed to the limit for 84...by whoever it is. Just my take.

While Mouse is a total warrior for wrestling hurt, he's also considerably smaller than everyone he will see in this tournament. It's a disadvantage.
He was big enough to beat the 5 seed by 14.
I don't think he looks small at all. I would bet there is no way he could get to and maintain 174.
I think he is injured much more than most of us thought. When healthy he wrestles like a bull.

Reactions: sneedram55
My recap from day one, which includes quotes from Jason Nolf, Morgan McIntosh and Bo Nickal at the link below. It also includes the number of quarterfinalists for each top five team and matchups for tomorrow. (Note: Team scores are still incomplete. I'll update them as soon as consi action is finished.)

LINK: PSU takes the lead after day one

Kenny Courts is out of the tournament for Ohio State and is scoring no more pts for Ohio State. I'll take Penn State studs vs Ohio State studs the rest of the way out.

Don't think Bo Jordan is getting past his cousin Isaac in the semi's... If he gets there.

Think Joey McKenna beats Micah Jordan in the semi's.

Think that Myles Martin loses to Reed from Oklahoma in the quarters or Lelund Weatherspoon from Iowa State in the semi's.

Would leave Nato and Kyle Snyder to score pts for Ohio State, Bo Jordan and Micah on the back side against Penn State's big scorers in... Nico Megaludis, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal and Morgan McIntosh. I'll take Penn State in those odds.

Penn State scoring more bonus and advancement pts.with more big time scorers.

Not worried about JDJ scoring on back side for OSU or Myles Martin. They'll be negated by Penn States big guns.

Last edited:
He was big enough to beat the 5 seed by 14.
I don't think he looks small at all. I would bet there is no way he could get to and maintain 174.
I think he is injured much more than most of us thought. When healthy he wrestles like a bull.
Very, & I stress very early in the season...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT