ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Selection Show Missives, Opinions & Hopefully a Few Facts

WORST draw of the tournament:

141 Grant Willits -Oregon St. won the PAC 10 by beating Real Woods - Stanford in Finals and gets #12 seed . His reward the #21 seed from Standford -REAL WOODS!!
Stupidest maybe, but not sure who you think its worst for?

Iowa will have to crap the bed to not have this wrapped up on Saturday morning. A 50+ spread without bonus based on seeds? Pretty dominate. The race will be for second place which PSU will love to have in a punt year. Should be fun cause it always is but give the Hawks their due. That’s one heck of a lineup they have developed. You gotta have at three winners to dominate. They have 4 most likely!
Dominate?
Punt year??
Developed???

Beard definitely got a gift. He can be beat schultz. Not saying he will be he def can.

Schultz is not a gift lmao. I get it's easy to say he's beatable because he wins a lot of close ones but I feel going against "winners" (aka guys who find ways to get it done in the 3rd) is like a horrible matchup for Michael.

Well, by that standard: O'Toole beat one NCAA qualifier all year. Hartman beat the 13 seed and the 30 seed.

Also, NCAA is not using RPI this year. So Weber's "really, really tough loss" shouldn't be used against Wittlake. If anything, it should be used as a "body of content" against Weber.

Schultz is not a gift lmao. I get it's easy to say he's beatable because he wins a lot of close ones but I feel going against "winners" (aka guys who find ways to get it done in the 3rd) is like a horrible matchup for Michael.
Yeah, this.

Of the 4 top seeds, Schultz is perhaps the least bad draw.

In that context, a "gift" would be getting him 1 round later.

I like that Berge could see Young early. This is Nationals and just like every year we are going to see some surprising results even in the early rounds. Aside from Spencer, I would not be surprised to see any Iowa wrestler get beat even against those we'd expect to bulldoze way to the finals. Everyone is predicting a runaway and it's probably smart to do but I think its going to be a lot tighter than people expect.
Yeah, I don’t see it. Lee is going to pin or tech every single person. Honestly if you lined up every kid in that bracket and did bull in the ring, I’m not sure he gets stopped. Kem, Marinelli, or Eierman will not all get upset and likely score some bonus points along the way. Throw in guys who have a chance to perform better than seeds (Desanto, Murin, Cass) and you have a recipe for a runaway. We are shooting for 2nd here. The sugar with our medicine is that it’s mostly PA kids.

Yeah, I don’t see it. Lee is going to pin or tech every single person. Honestly if you lined up every kid in that bracket and did bull in the ring, I’m not sure he gets stopped. Kem, Marinelli, or Eierman will not all get upset and likely score some bonus points along the way. Throw in guys who have a chance to perform better than seeds (Desanto, Murin, Cass) and you have a recipe for a runaway. We are shooting for 2nd here. The sugar with our medicine is that it’s mostly PA kids.

I mean Brady could beat Kaleb and it'd be very annoying for Iowa obviously but it's not even the end of the world for them. That's how large of a cushion they have this year. Kaleb's points is more or less gravy for them.

Reactions: Chalkdaddy94
Marinelli potentially get Griffith 8 in quarters and Lewis 4 in semis

I think Marinelli has an enemy on the committee; he hasn't gotten a decent draw in the 3 NCAA tourneys he's wrestled. I'd much rather he have the 2 seed and battle through that group...much more doable. Alex has not done well at NCAAs and if he's not on his A game, this year could very well be more of the same and could make the team race that much closer, and I already believe it will be very close. I'm hoping for him; the guy deserves a little luck with his outstanding performances during the regular seasons and B10s. Also, he better find his offense as I just don't think one TD or no TDs as was the case in the Amine match is going to work with Griffith and Lewis. Come on, Alex...and Go Hawks!!

BTW, I think Howard's got his own enemy on the committee as they certainly didn't do him any favors either.

Yeah.. I know...no one is seeing it. I honestly get you and probably the right call. I'm predicting 2 champs and 8 AAs for Iowa. To me though, that's not going to spell a runaway for them. Will admit tho, most are thinking 3 or 4 champs.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
Does anybody have a line on the broadcast for Nationals? Usually ESPN has it on the schedule by now.....

I just looked. The NCAA site hasn't been updated (link).

However, ESPN lists it here as being on ESPN3, with coverage of each mat. This is how they usually air it.

I'm assuming/hoping nothing has changed regarding ESPN3, which is available on-demand to anyone that has access to watch ESPN through their cable subscription.

I just looked. The NCAA site hasn't been updated (link).

However, ESPN lists it here as being on ESPN3, with coverage of each mat. This is how they usually air it.

I'm assuming/hoping nothing has changed regarding ESPN3, which is available on-demand to anyone that has access to watch ESPN through their cable subscription.
I know, I want to say last year but I know that isn't right, TWO YEARS AGO, haha. They did redzone like show on ESPNU for sessions 1, 3 and 5 and had ESPN2 and maybe even full-blown ESPN for 2, 4 and the finals. If the mats are showing on ESPN, then that's a good sign. As long as we don't get stuck with friggin NoFlo.

I mean Brady could beat Kaleb and it'd be very annoying for Iowa obviously but it's not even the end of the world for them. That's how large of a cushion they have this year. Kaleb's points is more or less gravy for them.
Painful. Iowa will win on Lee, Desanto, Eirman, Marinelli, kemmerer and Cass alone. Warner, young, Murin and brands are just there for entertainment.

Howard really got a tough draw. They pointed out on FRL that if he loses to Heinselman, he'll have a winnable first consi match but then could get the loser of Foley/Schroder

Reactions: diggerpup
Painful. Iowa will win on Lee, Desanto, Eirman, Marinelli, kemmerer and Cass alone. Warner, young, Murin and brands are just there for entertainment.
And just like some of us in the past, some of their fans will panic when a Murin or Young gets bumped into consis earlier than foreseen and start a panic

THEY NEED 8 SCORING WRESTLERS!

Anyone know who is on the seeding committee? I'm curious. Aside: Missouri always seems to get good draws. Hmm.

Anyone know who is on the seeding committee? I'm curious. Aside: Missouri always seems to get good draws. Hmm.

Not sure if this answers the question or not. No one there from the Big Ten.

NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee February 24, 2021, Videoconference Attendees:

Matt Azevedo, Drexel University, Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association. Bob Burda, Big 12 Conference. Karen Langston, California State University, Bakersfield, Pac-12 Conference. Andy Noel, Cornell University, Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association. Kyle Ruschell, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Southern Conference. Jennifer Tuscano, University of Pittsburgh, Atlantic Coast Conference.

And just like some of us in the past, some of their fans will panic when a Murin or Young gets bumped into consis earlier than foreseen and start a panic

THEY NEED 8 SCORING WRESTLERS!
All fan bases have their idiots. Iowa is not immune - neither is Penn State. It's just when the NCAA's come around the casual fan becomes more present. The knowledgeable and rationale understand the nature of the tournament and upsets happen.

All fan bases have their idiots. Iowa is not immune - neither is Penn State. It's just when the NCAA's come around the casual fan becomes more present. The knowledgeable and rationale understand the nature of the tournament and upsets happen.
Now I know why my ears were ringing

Reactions: dsites52
Not so fast...I could easily see DeSanto losing to Phillippi in the quarters. Honestly, Marinelli doesn't have the best track record at NCAA's and he has a tough draw. If the Griffith of old shows up, look out.

Howard really got a tough draw. They pointed out on FRL that if he loses to Heinselman, he'll have a winnable first consi match but then could get the loser of Foley/Schroder
Not disagreeing, though I would add that Howard earned his situation. By the time he gets to Schroder/Foley, nine wrestlers will have been eliminated from the competition, leaving 24 wrestlers. He's the 23 seed, so I'm not sure what is expected. Somewhere Howard has to win by upset to prevent a second round wrestleback elimination.

Not disagreeing, though I would add that Howard earned his situation. By the time he gets to Schroder/Foley, nine wrestlers will have been eliminated from the competition, leaving 24 wrestlers. He's the 23 seed, so I'm not sure what is expected. Somewhere Howard has to win by upset to prevent a second round wrestleback elimination.

Yeah I think the bigger problem is Howard is seeded too low to begin with (and I’ll throw in my common disclaimer that I’m not a PSU fan) after finishing 6th in Big Ten.

I guess I could see Ragusin being ahead of him, but not by 12 spots. I think Howard should at least be ahead of McKee (#15) who finished 8th at B10’s and Barnett (#19) who finished 10th (but yes did beat Howard).

Not so fast...I could easily see DeSanto losing to Phillippi in the quarters. Honestly, Marinelli doesn't have the best track record at NCAA's and he has a tough draw. If the Griffith of old shows up, look out.
I expect Desanto and cass to be in the consi’s but both pick up bonus points and end as high all Americans. Marinelli or Eirman could lose prior to the finals as well and those 6 iowa wrestlers would still account for 100+ points. PSU’s chance is an Iowa collapse with Tariq Wilson/Ronnie Perry like performances from a few of our guys. I’ll be rooting for it to happen.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
I'm not even sure why we are going.

#crownthemchampsalready 🤼‍♂️🏅🏆🐏🐐🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊

Reactions: dsites52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT