ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Selection Show Missives, Opinions & Hopefully a Few Facts

Team scores based solely on the seeds, using only implied placement and advancement points, without factoring in any possible bonus points.

RANKSCHOOLPTS
1Iowa126.5
2Penn State72
3NC State63.5
4Virginia Tech61.5
5Missouri60
6Nebraska54.5
7Michigan53.5
8Oklahoma State50
9Arizona State46.5
10Ohio State36
11Pittsburgh34
11Minnesota34
13Iowa State31.5
14Northwestern29.5
15Central Michigan28
16Rutgers24.5
16Northern Iowa24.5
18Utah Valley22.5
19North Carolina21
20Rider20
21Oregon State18.5

Team scores based solely on the seeds, using only implied placement and advancement points, without factoring in any possible bonus points.

RANKSCHOOLPTS
1Iowa126.5
2Penn State72
3NC State63.5
4Virginia Tech61.5
5Missouri60
6Nebraska54.5
7Michigan53.5
8Oklahoma State50
9Arizona State46.5
10Ohio State36
11Pittsburgh34
11Minnesota34
13Iowa State31.5
14Northwestern29.5
15Central Michigan28
16Rutgers24.5
16Northern Iowa24.5
18Utah Valley22.5
19North Carolina21
20Rider20
21Oregon State18.5
Looks like another National title to me. :)

I wonder if Robbie may benefit from catching Heinselman first match after weigh-ins? Just looks to me like Heinselman has to be cutting more weight.

Reactions: tewlepz

RANKSCHOOLPTS
1Iowa126.5
2Penn State72
3NC State63.5
4Virginia Tech61.5
5Missouri60
6Nebraska54.5
7Michigan53.5
8Oklahoma State50
9Arizona State46.5
10Ohio State36
11Pittsburgh34
11Minnesota34
13Iowa State31.5
14Northwestern29.5
15Central Michigan28
16Rutgers24.5
16Northern Iowa24.5
18Utah Valley22.5
19North Carolina21
20Rider20
21Oregon State18.5
What was the predicted score in 2018 with the best second team ever tOSU? I know it was much closer than this year, but what a tournament!

I wonder if Robbie may benefit from catching Heinselman first match after weigh-ins? Just looks to me like Heinselman has to be cutting more weight.
I wouldn’t consider heinselman a good first round draw for Robbie... honestly thought Robbie would get a higher seed but most likely he will have to win back through the wrestle backs...

I guess I should know this but isnt there another weight in friday morning? Unlike after a dual weighin, Heinselman cant really eat and refuel right?
Yes, but I don’t think went from too light to struggling with the cut. He showed no signs of fading in either match against Robbie, in two different scenarios.

Yes, but I don’t think went from too light to struggling with the cut. He showed no signs of fading in either match against Robbie, in two different scenarios.
Oh now that I agree with. I dont think hes struggling with a cut either. But if he is, getting him early could help. I'll ask this too, not really two types of scenarios was it? Both times the two met, Heinselman didnt really have to worry about weighing in again right?

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
Oh now that I agree with. I dont think hes struggling with a cut either. But if he is, getting him early could help. I'll ask this too, not really two types of scenarios was it? Both times the two met, Heinselman didnt really have to worry about weighing in again right?
True, but the lapse b/w weigh in and match time wasn’t so great that he was going to go full Dake Saturday night 2011.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
You can argue Max and Young got good draws to get to the semis. Bull got a tough quarter but I think Mekhi being in the semis is a bit overblown if he wasn't even healthy enough to compete at ACCs. Even if some of Warner, ADS or Cass loses the quarters, they'll go on a run in the backside. (Cass might rack up quite a bit of pins) Spencer, Kemerer and Eierman will bulldoze to the finals likely.

Iowa as shown by the numbers ultimately controls their own fate and can lock it up pretty early. They have a huge margin of error similar to us in 2019 when we had Shak (a 2 seed) DNP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chalkdaddy94
So what do you think? Are you happy about Iowas draws? PSU's.
Mostly happy with Iowa's. Marinelli's isn't ideal and Warner's isn't great. Brands' sucks. 184 is a total mess. Bolen got completely hosed. Somewhat balanced out by the fact it gives Brooks a tougher semi, but I don't think it matters. I think Murin is in the best quarter to make the semis. Don't love Desanto's quarter, but I think he'll be fine. Would prefer to not have Red in the quarters at 141, but feel good overall having Lee/Rivera opposite. Don't love 174. Would have preferred Labriola on the other side.

For PSU, I feel good. I think some of your dangerous guys got rough draws. Heinselman should take care of Howard. Cerniglia is a tough 1st round match for Berge, but he could also make the semis out of that quarter. He'll be in dogfights all the way. Hope his head is okay. Wittlake should dispatch Joe Lee. Schultz should beat Beard, but that will be close. Kerk won't be making a deep frontside run. Starocci got a cakewalk to at least the semis. Anything less than 2nd is a huge letdown imo. O'Malley is a potential trap match though. Good upperbody. He pinned Kennedy in a double overs throw this fall. If I'm a PSU fan, I probably prefer Desanto at the 3 because I don't think there's any way he beats RBY again. Myers is at least a bit of an unknown.

One caveat is I'm waiting on interactive brackets, so I haven't looked to see how some of these backside draws shake out. But first glance, I'm fine from a fan perspective. Somewhat frustrated by the lack of consistency overall, but glad they didn't just go with the matrix chaos seeds.

Iowa will have to crap the bed to not have this wrapped up on Saturday morning. A 50+ spread without bonus based on seeds? Pretty dominate. The race will be for second place which PSU will love to have in a punt year. Should be fun cause it always is but give the Hawks their due. That’s one heck of a lineup they have developed. You gotta have at three winners to dominate. They have 4 most likely!

You can argue Max and Young got good draws to get to the semis. Bull got a tough quarter but I think Mekhi being in the semis is a bit overblown if he wasn't even healthy enough to compete at ACCs. Even if some of Warner, ADS or Cass loses the quarters, they'll go on a run in the backside. (Cass might rack up quite a bit of pins) Spencer, Kemerer and Eierman will bulldoze to the finals likely.

Iowa as shown by the numbers ultimately controls their own fate and can lock it up pretty early. They have a huge margin of victory similar to us in 2019 when we had Shak (a 2 seed) DNP.
I like that Berge could see Young early. This is Nationals and just like every year we are going to see some surprising results even in the early rounds. Aside from Spencer, I would not be surprised to see any Iowa wrestler get beat even against those we'd expect to bulldoze way to the finals. Everyone is predicting a runaway and it's probably smart to do but I think its going to be a lot tighter than people expect.

RANKSCHOOLPTS
1Iowa126.5
2Penn State72
3NC State63.5
4Virginia Tech61.5
5Missouri60
6Nebraska54.5
7Michigan53.5
8Oklahoma State50
9Arizona State46.5
10Ohio State36
11Pittsburgh34
11Minnesota34
13Iowa State31.5
14Northwestern29.5
15Central Michigan28
16Rutgers24.5
16Northern Iowa24.5
18Utah Valley22.5
19North Carolina21
20Rider20
21Oregon State18.5

Hearing Alirez is a scratch for Nationals. If they replace him, I hope Bartlett gets the spot.
He would end up with Sasso first round if that's the case (I would think).

However, I think Ed Scott is probably ahead of Bartlett on the list. Win over finesilver probably gives him the edge.

I guess I should know this but isnt there another weight in friday morning? Unlike after a dual weighin, Heinselman cant really eat and refuel right?
Weigh-ins are two hours or sooner before the start time of competition
on Thursday, and one hour or sooner before the start of competition on Friday and Saturday. Also, there's a 1-pound allowance on day 2, and an additional 1-pound allowance on day 3.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Iowa will have to crap the bed to not have this wrapped up on Saturday morning. A 50+ spread without bonus based on seeds? Pretty dominate. The race will be for second place which PSU will love to have in a punt year. Should be fun cause it always is but give the Hawks their due. That’s one heck of a lineup they have developed. You gotta have at three winners to dominate. They have 4 most likely!

Similar story to last year - they are about a 50 point favorite by seed.

WORST draw of the tournament:

141 Grant Willits -Oregon St. won the PAC 10 by beating Real Woods - Stanford in Finals and gets #12 seed . His reward the #21 seed from Standford -REAL WOODS!!
There should be a rule, you cannot wrestle someone from the same conference in the first round of the tournament. That is the case for the hoops tournament.

Joe got what he earned unfortunately. A 6-5 record, 8th at Big Tens will get you in the 20s.
Joe got the seed he earned.

Wittlake should not be a 10, unless this is how they seeded:

lottery.gif

Lee should've opened with Weber.

Well, the simulator says that we have a chance...

penn state winsiowa winsnc state winsva tech winsmissouri winsoklahoma state winsnebraska wins
1.5%​
97.6%​
0.3%​
0.1%​
0.5%​
0.0%​
0.1%​
So you're sayin there's a chance!

125- Think Robbie got screwed, how does Ragusin get ranked soo much higher when Robbie just beat him at Big Ten

Yeah overall I think the seeds look OK but this might be the worst seeding job IMO. I guess I could see Ragusin being higher since he beat DeAugustino who Howard lost to, but 12 spots apart is crazy.

Well the NCAA made sure the big 12 197s had little chance to do much. If they all four win they face each other in the exact same matchups as the big12 semi final. Smh. The second best conference getting shit on badly but no surprise.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
ADVERTISEMENT