ADVERTISEMENT

Navy

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
In commemoration of the upcoming anniversary of the Battle of Leyte Gulf, I’m making my first stop at a service academy. (For those who don’t know the significance of Leyte Gulf, I recommend doing some reading up about it.)

125 – Killic (So) <Wheeler, GA>

Aslan “The Lion” Killic went 12-13 last season and didn’t qualify for the tournament. He did have a win against one qualifier, Gage Curry (American).

133 – Trybus (So) <Mt. Saint Joseph, MD>

Cody Trybus went 16-14 last season and didn’t qualify for the tournament. He didn’t have any wins against qualifiers. However, Trybus was bonused in only 2 of his loses.

141 – Gil (Sr) <Crystal Lake South, IL>

Nicholas Gil went 33-10 overall and 2-2 in the tournament from the 14 seed. He also qualified in 2016 going 0-2.

149 – Prince (Jr) <Palm Harbor, FL>

Jared Prince went 22-6 overall and 0-2 in the tournament. He also qualified @141 in 2017, going 2-2.

157 – Hovis (So) <Poway, CA> or Elvin (Jr) <Central Dauphin, PA>

Quentin Hovis went 18-6 in opens last season (no wins against qualifiers). Zach Elvin went 16-10 in 2017 (he wasn’t on the roster in 2018). Zack Davis went 23-12 last season and didn’t qualify for the tournament (he qualified in 2016 @133, going 1-2).

165 – Carrera (Sr) <Milton, MA>

Jonathan Carrera went 14-10 (mostly in opens) last season (no wins against qualifiers). He’s taking over for Drew Daniels who went 29-7 overall and 2-2 in the tournament last season.

174 – Carey (Jr) <DePaul Catholic, NJ> or Alford (Jr) <Ft Dorchester, SC>

Spencer Carey went 10-4 last season. He had one win against a qualifier, Will Schany (UVA). He also had a 4 second pin against Thomas Goas of the Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology (I never heard of it before and was surprised to see that it’s in Lancaster, PA). AJ Alford went 12-5 overall and 5-2 in duals last season (no wins against qualifiers). One of them will be taking over for 4-time qualifier Jadaen Bernstein (2-2 in 2018, R12 in 2017, 2-2 in 2016 and 1-2 in 2015). Bernstein went 24-7 overall and was the 8 seed in the tournament last season.

184 – Doyle (Sr) <McKinney, TX> or Benoit (Jr) <Marist, IL>

Connor Doyle (6-6 last season) or Alex Benoit (5-4 last season will be taking over for two-time qualifier Michael Coleman. Coleman went 34-8 overall and made it to the round of 12 last season (2-2 in 2017).

197 – Roetman (Jr) <Kotzebue, AK>

Joshua Roetman went 8-7 last season. He had one win against a qualifier, Sawyer Root (Citadel). Roetman will be taking over for Steban Cervantes who went 12-10 last season and didn’t qualify for the tournament. Cervantes did qualify in 2017, going 2-2.

Heavy – Piehl (Jr) <Rogers, MN>

Andrew Piehl went 11-10 last season and didn’t qualify for the tournament. He had one win against a qualifier, Matthew Voss (George Mason). Piehl took over the starting spot late in the season from out-going senior Austin Faunce.

Navy loses a lot of firepower from last season. They are replacing 5 starters, three of which were qualifiers from last season and the other two had qualified in prior seasons. They do return two qualifiers from last season and a couple of freshman, now sophomore, starters looking to make the next step up. The Midshipmen finished 36th with 7 points in the tournament last season.

000902-N-9848G-002_-_U.S._Naval_Academy_mascot.jpg

My father was on the the ac Belleau Wood during Leyte Gulf and was hit by a kamikaze. 90+ dead and about 150 injured (lots of severe burns). I have my dad's (like a) yearbook and has four photos before they get hit. They even broke down the bullets shot during the war. Throughout the whole campaign most of the casualties were pilots and crew. Miss you Dad.

My father was on the the ac Belleau Wood during Leyte Gulf and was hit by a kamikaze. 90+ dead and about 150 injured (lots of severe burns). I have my dad's (like a) yearbook and has four photos before they get hit. They even broke down the bullets shot during the war. Throughout the whole campaign most of the casualties were pilots and crew. Miss you Dad.
Man. Thanks for his service and sorry for your loss.

Thanks not only for your great previews on numerous teams, but I thought it incredible you previewed Navy because of Leyte Gulf.

I like as a Marine Corps veteran to jeer Navy, all in fun and spirit, but also cheer them. That was a battle that helped change the world.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Thanks not only for your great previews on numerous teams, but I thought it incredible you previewed Navy because of Leyte Gulf.

I like as a Marine Corps veteran to jeer Navy, all in fun and spirit, but also cheer them. That was a battle that helped change the world.

My father in law was a Navy man. His wife had three brothers; all of whom were Marines! Could you imagine the grief he used to get during the holiday family meetings?!:D

Reactions: nittanybrian

Thank you for sharing your story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT