ADVERTISEMENT

My grandfather played at Penn State and I'm planning a trip...

Over the years I’ve flown from O’Hare into State College, into Harrisburg, into Baltimore, into Pittsburgh, into Allentown and into Newark for PSU games.....have never flown into Philadelphia.

The fares can vary all over the place, you just have to spend some time doing the research.

It’s a beautiful drive no matter which direction you come from.....absolutely beautiful!

With regard to your #2 HS Football....State College is a great place HS football town. The team plays at the highest level of PA football. The "Little Lions" are always competitive and always get deep into the PIAA playoffs. They have turned out many D1 players and surprising number of NFL guys.

All that and Memorial Field is the most unique HS stadium unique and historic field you will find anywhere. It was a limestone sinkhole right in the middle of town that was quarried out during the early part of the 1930's. The quarried stone was then used to build the retaining walls that surround the field.

My childhood revolved around Friday nights at Memorial field and Saturday's at Beaver Stadium.

Enjoy.

Cool, a very informative post about the stadium, I never knew that.....thanks so much!

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Whatever you do, avoid the temptation of the cheaper Imperial Motor Inn. It will ruin your weekend if you care remotely about where you lay your head.

It doesn't exist anymore so he won't have to worry about getting a room there.

Stay at the Nittany Lion Inn, eat at the Tavern and have an original sin at the adjacent bar connected to the Tavern called the Adam's Apple, go to the Cafe 210 West and sit on the front porch or back deck during the day and hit the Phyrst later in the evening after dinner.

Is flying into Harrisburg an option? Might cost a few bucks more and probably add a connection, but it's much closer to SC than either Pittsburgh or Philly. Lots of good HS football teams in that area too. And should you decide to take in a Friday game, it's a much shorter trip to State College afterwards.

This ^^^. It all depends on cost of tickets but don't forget flying into Harrisburg (MDT) as an option. It's much closer than Pittsburgh or Philly (about 1.5 hrs to State College) and there's plenty of good high school teams to watch on Friday night, then drive up 322 to State College Saturday morning. Alabama friends still talk about the beauty of the drive up when they visited.

It doesn't exist anymore so he won't have to worry about getting a room there.

Thanks. I didn't realize they finally sold off the dump. Was it recent? When I was in town in August I thought it was still there.

Thanks. I didn't realize they finally sold off the dump. Was it recent? When I was in town in August I thought it was still there.

Actually, I take it back. It's still there. I thought that they tore it down for the new Metropolitan but evidently it's still there.

If you fly into Pittsburgh, A great place to stay on your way in would be the Bedford Springs Hotel. It is a spectacular property and great during the fall.

If you come to Philly you can check out the Brandywine Valley. There are a ton of bed and breakfasts there. Plus some wineries.

If you want to stay somewhere that is unique at PSU your best option is the Nittany Lion Inn. You can park your car there and walk the entire weekend. You can even walk to memorial field for a State High football game.

I concur. Nittany Lion Inn is the ONLY option if cost is not an issue. I also offer Dulles airport outside DC as an option. One can drive through beautiful back roads countryside in parts of Virginia, W. Virginia, Maryland and PA all the way into SC. About 200 mi. I think what you're doing is great.

Reactions: psute
This ^^^. It all depends on cost of tickets but don't forget flying into Harrisburg (MDT) as an option. It's much closer than Pittsburgh or Philly (about 1.5 hrs to State College) and there's plenty of good high school teams to watch on Friday night, then drive up 322 to State College Saturday morning. Alabama friends still talk about the beauty of the drive up when they visited.
Agreed. Taking in a high school game at State College would probably be my pick because it's such a cool setting for high school football, but if you come into Harrisburg there are a number of venues that would give that quintessential "small town high school football" feel - Camp Hill, Middletown, Mechanicsburg, and Steelton-Highspire are a few of the more unique venues that I'm thinking of in the Harrisburg area.

Reactions: psu00
Don't forget schools like McDevitt, Central Dauphin, East Pennsboro, and Cumberland Valley. Maybe not that small town, but very good football. Also good schools and intense rivalries heading over toward Lancaster County, but that's heading further away from State College.

Reactions: psu00
Don't forget schools like McDevitt, Central Dauphin, East Pennsboro, and Cumberland Valley. Maybe not that small town, but very good football. Also good schools and intense rivalries heading over toward Lancaster County, but that's heading further away from State College.

State High is in the Mid-Penn with Harrisburg, Cumberland Valley, Central Dauphin, Central Dauphin East, Carlisle & Chambersburg, so you could still get a good match-up at Memorial Field.

Don't head to Philly. Too much nonsense and too far although there are good restaurants. 2 hour drive to Harrisburg when you escape Center City and throw off the yoke of the Surekill expressway. Harrisburg is only 1 1/2 hours away from State College and the ride is great. Hburg has good HS ball if that is actually a necessity. Gettysburg is short ride away and that is the nicest town in Southern Pa. Head to Bedord for the Oatmeal dessert at the Jean Bonnett Inn (spelling) then you can take Rt. 99 North. Great scenery. Nittany Lion Inn. Breakfast at the Corner Room. Ice Cream at Meyers (or Creamery). Then the bars. There are least 2 state prisons to visit and Old Sparky, Pennsylvania's ancient electric chair, although it hasn't been used in quite a while.

BWI or Dulles would be another choice
BWI is a good option...drive north into York, then up toward Harrisburg until you hit 322. It is also a Southwest hub, so it has a lot of reasonable flights..closer than Philly as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT