ADVERTISEMENT

More Franklin to USC conjecture (link)

Those would be significant metrics - if we were still an independent. We aren’t. We, unfortunately, are a Big Ten team, and therefore the metrics that matter are conference titles, playoff births, and defeating Ohio State ( and UM). And using those metrics, I’m sure there are at least 5 or 6 candidates that could at least equal Coach Franklin’s (lousy) results of 1, none, and 1-6 (3-4).
No, there aren’t 5 or 6 candidates. That’s laughable.

So you agree - it wouldn’t be difficult to replicate Franklin’s appalling record vs OSU - everyone does it! Apparently, PSU football isn’t special, it’s the same as Purdue and Michigan State. Who knew? I thought Penn State football was supposed to be elite. I apologize for my misconception. We’re just another program playing second fiddle to Ohio State. Nice job Coach Franklin! You’ve seen our low expectations, and met them! Keep us on this asinine string of “stay or go” forever - it’s clear we’re all masochists that are ok with mediocre results on the field and being toyed with off of it. Unbelievabl.
We are not you. You are elite.

I’m still waiting to hear what about Coach Franklin’s actual record is so awesome that he can’t be replaced? How hard is it to go 1-6 (soon to be 1-7) against Ohio State? How hard is it to win one conference title in 8 years when leading an all-time great program? How hard is it to go 3-3 in bowl games? Again - what is indispensable about a good head coach (not great - he’s no Saban, Meyer, or even Sweeney)? He wants to leave - then leave. I doubt it would be hard to find a replacement that can lose to Ohio State every season.
I'd much rather replace you.

I don’t know why people spin up over every coaching rumor. Who cares what Franklin says or doesn’t say. Coaches deny interest all the time then leave anyway. It’s a plus that we have a coach everyone seems to consider a top choice for any opening.

Urban has lower standards. Have you seen Cayman Nebraska without makeup? She's at least a one-bagger

49093943-10085575-Cayman_Nebraska_24_was_filmed_dancing_suggestively_with_the_NFL_-a-1_1634135142330.jpg
Have you seen almost any celebrity without makeup? They’re nearly universally one-baggers.

Do you really think Franklin thinks that if he goes to USC it is easier for me to get to the playoffs? I find it hard to believe that a top notch coach would change jobs because he feels he can’t beat certain teams. These coaches thrive on competition. The day they throw their hands up and say it is too difficult to beat that team I am moving on, is the day they should retire.
Top coaches thrive on intense competition. You got to believe that every season Franklin believes they have a shot at beating the Ohio State and Alabama’s of the world and want to play them.
I think the lure of a place like USC is great tradition (11 NC's), the bright lites and the opportunities it might present for his daughters as they enter HS/College age. Despite some of the naysayers here, CJF is universally thought of as a success in the SEC, Big 10 and more than anything an excellent CEO and recruiter. He would be an absolute rock star in LA.
Anyone can be seduced when the time is right......we want you and will do anything to bring you here.....is a powerful pitch.
USC sees CJF as the type of CEO who will put fannies in the seats, sell out the luxury suites and generate big $$$ for USC. I hate to say it but I think its 50-50.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I think the lure of a place like USC is great tradition (11 NC's), the bright lites and the opportunities it might present for his daughters as they enter HS/College age. Despite some of the naysayers here, CJF is universally thought of as a success in the SEC, Big 10 and more than anything an excellent CEO and recruiter. He would be an absolute rock star in LA.
Anyone can be seduced when the time is right......we want you and will do anything to bring you here.....is a powerful pitch.
USC sees CJF as the type of CEO who will put fannies in the seats, sell out the luxury suites and generate big $$$ for USC. I hate to say it but I think its 50-50.
I think you areright if not there LSU.

If it happens it will be interesting to see if the administration ponies up the money to try and get a proven head coach or goes the coordinator route which is a lot more unpredictable and says alot about the commitment and vision for the program.

If it happens it will be interesting to see if the administration ponies up the money to try and get a proven head coach or goes the coordinator route which is a lot more unpredictable and says alot about the commitment and vision for the program.
I forgot to add the incredible NIL opportunities for USC......as a lifelong PSU fan, I would be disappointed if they don't go after an experienced HC like Matt Campbell or Luke Fickel. But, my #1 hope is that James decides to stay.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
One bagger? LOL
I'm an old timer. In my time the gals took pride in their appearance. Let me add, I enjoyed it makeup or not. In my prime, females enjoyed being ladies and I can't put into words how much I appreciated that. i'd like to be young again, but not at the expense of the life I was gifted with. You all can have the accept me as I am generation. i'm moving on to the next act.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89

I don't see LSU as a cultural fit.

It may not be but it has so many inherent advantages IMO similar to tOSU except more fertile recruiting area if you want to compete for national titles on a regular basis
Unlike USC, it has a big obstacle to the CFBPlayoff.......Alabama.

Unlike USC, it has a big obstacle to the CFBPlayoff.......Alabama.
That’s certainly true but for whatever reason after John MCKay left and John Robinson left the first time USC went though some really up and down years for 15 plus years until Carroll arrived and again after he left. Also not sure that current day California is the Golden State it once was for a variety of reasons.

Just curious, do the Franklin's have school age children. That could play a big part in the possibility of him leaving.

And I actually think the USC job makes more sense than the LSU job as he'll still have the 800 lb gorilla (Saban - Alabama) to deal with. The PAC is a lot more winnable, With that said, I just don't see him leaving PSU. Isn't he from PA ?

Yes, he has “school age children”, which means he’s not going anywhere near USC. The school systems out there suck.

Anyone that goes to USC is just asking for problems. Not only are the surrounding ghettos a problem if your guys step off campus, but the pool of LARGE athletic males is dwindling fast. Quality linemen are getting harder and harder to find on the West Coast according to the guys at the PAC 12 Network.

Franklin’s a smart guy. I’d be absolutely stunned if he went to a sh!thole like USC.

Yes, he has “school age children”, which means he’s not going anywhere near USC. The school systems out there suck.

Anyone that goes to USC is just asking for problems. Not only are the surrounding ghettos a problem if your guys step off campus, but the pool of LARGE athletic males is dwindling fast. Quality linemen are getting harder and harder to find on the West Coast according to the guys at the PAC 12 Network.

Franklin’s a smart guy. I’d be absolutely stunned if he went to a sh!thole like USC.
They can afford to send their daughters to the finest private schools in the area. There are some decent areas where the rich and famous live that aren't ghettos. USC only has 10 players committed for 22, but 2 are 5 stars.
Are large males shrinking only in California? LOL

fairly certain he could afford to send his kids to the best private schools in the area while Making $8-10 million per year (Even with LAs ridiculous cost of living )

LOL, one of the funniest posts I've seen on this site. USC can recruit nationally with the right guy in place and I'm pretty sure he could find a prep school or even have someone homeschool his kids if he needed to. I hope he doesn't go, but those aren't even close to valid reasons as to why he wouldn't go.

Have you seen almost any celebrity without makeup? They’re nearly universally one-baggers.
I don’t know, I grew up with a girl who went on to become a B-list actress and she looked pretty damn good all the time. And to avoid a flag….

bab1c05f781608c4a3b833c577afeca6.th.gif

Reactions: Midnighter2
fairly certain he could afford to send his kids to the best private schools in the area while Making $8-10 million per year (Even with LAs ridiculous cost of living )

I found this dump of a house in Beverly Hills he could buy too (only $8.5mm!)....

Last edited:
They can afford to send their daughters to the finest private schools in the area. There are some decent areas where the rich and famous live that aren't ghettos. USC only has 10 players committed for 22, but 2 are 5 stars.
Are large males shrinking only in California? LOL

California is actually losing population, and the percentage of Blacks and non-Hispanic Whites is now below 50%. That’s the excuse that is being used as to why the PAC 12 schools can’t match up physically with the rest of the country at the line of scrimmage. Asians and Latinos from Mexico and Central America, who are now in the majority, are just smaller in stature.

USC’s campus borders street gang territory. You walk off campus too far in pretty much any direction, and you have more issues in dealing with your players than someone stealing a bicycle out of a dumpster. FAR more potential outside distractions to deal with than you have in State College.

This doesn’t even get into the tax issues he’d be dealing with.

He would be absolutely brain dead to go there.

California is actually losing population, and the percentage of Blacks and non-Hispanic Whites is now below 50%. That’s the excuse that is being used as to why the PAC 12 schools can’t match up physically with the rest of the country at the line of scrimmage. Asians and Latinos from Mexico and Central America, who are now in the majority, are just smaller in stature.

USC’s campus borders street gang territory. You walk off campus too far in pretty much any direction, and you have more issues in dealing with your players than someone stealing a bicycle out of a dumpster. FAR more potential outside distractions to deal with than you have in State College.

So, what’s the case to stay in Central PA? I mean - Yale is in a crap hole in New Haven - people still kill to go there.

Franklin will be able to afford the elite lifestyle. The rich and elite live differently in California which is definitely becoming a class system. They live primarily along the coast (US5, PCH) and they are not at all impacted by what you read. Its the middle class that are getting out because their lifestyles are not sustainable. Take a drive up Pacific Coast Highway from SD to LB and its still pretty amazing. The downtowns in the big cities are the real messes but the rest is pretty nice if you can afford it.

LOL, one of the funniest posts I've seen on this site. USC can recruit nationally with the right guy in place and I'm pretty sure he could find a prep school or even have someone homeschool his kids if he needed to. I hope he doesn't go, but those aren't even close to valid reasons as to why he wouldn't go.

Well, just the fact you agree that he would have to “recruit nationally” pretty much validates one of my points.

I’m not sure, but maybe he has the girls in a private school right now. Maybe not. But have you ever tried moving your kids to a new school? Did they like moving? Most kids don’t, because they are leaving their friends. And one of his daughters has a health issue. Not sure if that would affect things or not.

UCLA didn't have issues with LSU and Oregon sure seems like they were big enough to handle OSU in the shoe. How many visits will be cancelled due to weather? It's much easier to recruit nationally with 2 major airports and direct flights from pretty much anywhere. Larger NIL deals are possible in an area with a much denser population. Honestly, you should just say...I hate California. Living in the northeast you have sh!t roads that you have to pay tolls on. You're taxed for everything and have to deal with 4+ months of cold weather. Every places has pros and cons, but having a school get modern instead of the dinasaur mentality PSU seems to have is probably why he hasn't come out and said....I'm never leaving.

Nothing you cited is even relevant in any of this.

Well, just the fact you agree that he would have to “recruit nationally” pretty much validates one of my points.

I’m not sure, but maybe he has the girls in a private school right now. Maybe not. But have you ever tried moving your kids to a new school? Did they like moving? Most kids don’t, because they are leaving their friends. And one of his daughters has a health issue. Not sure if that would affect things or not.
USC has always recruited nationally....this isn't new. I have moved my kids twice to new schools and I have paid for private schools. I have lived in the Northeast, Southeast, and West coast.....LIVED, not visited so I know when people are fed BS about a region and just spout it out.

I don't want Franklin to go anywhere, but I'm not trying to convince myself of utter BS either in hopes that it occurs. There are PROS and CONS for every place....it's naïve to think otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUFBFAN
So, what’s the case to stay in Central PA? I mean - Yale is in a crap hole in New Haven - people still kill to go there.

HAAA! You’re right. And they have to build a protective fortress around the dorms to protect the kids. It’s actually pretty cool.

The town itself is a sh!thole.

My daughter was invited to visit the place for grad school. The place was WAY overblown for what she was in. Other than the name, everything about Yale pretty much sucked compared to a lot of other schools. She seemed to know more than the guy that we had the interview with.

UCLA didn't have issues with LSU and Oregon sure seems like they were big enough to handle OSU in the shoe. How many visits will be cancelled due to weather? It's much easier to recruit nationally with 2 major airports and direct flights from pretty much anywhere. Larger NIL deals are possible in an area with a much denser population. Honestly, you should just say...I hate California. Living in the northeast you have sh!t roads that you have to pay tolls on. You're taxed for everything and have to deal with 4+ months of cold weather. Every places has pros and cons, but having a school get modern instead of the dinasaur mentality PSU seems to have is probably why he hasn't come out and said....I'm never leaving.

Nothing you cited is even relevant in any of this.

Anger issues?

Because some guy on the internet guessed Franklin hardly means he’s going anywhere. He seems happy here and most of PSU are happy with him.

Reactions: LaJollaLion
At this point I think he wants to win a national championship. The calculation will be where is that going to be possible?

At PSU he has a chance of getting into the playoff, but it isn't happening every year. It might happen once or twice in his career. At USC he might be able to go very frequently. At LSU? I don't know why he would want the LSU job over PSU. If he does, then he isn't thinking clearly
He’d be in the running for a NC almost immediately there.

USC has always recruited nationally....this isn't new. I have moved my kids twice to new schools and I have paid for private schools. I have lived in the Northeast, Southeast, and West coast.....LIVED, not visited so I know when people are fed BS about a region and just spout it out.

I don't want Franklin to go anywhere, but I'm not trying to convince myself of utter BS either in hopes that it occurs. There are PROS and CONS for every place....it's naïve to think otherwise.

Good for you !!! I’ll bet your kids screamed “Thank you Daddy”!!! when you told them they would be changing schools.🙂

I have a hunch Franklin has more sense than you give him credit for. If he’s looking long term, he stays at Penn State. If he’s looking for a quick buck and a probable future stain on his resume, he goes USC.

You should stop wasting your time with this guy - he is simply not smart enough to think logically and assumes his likes and dislikes are the benchmark for everyone else.

Reactions: LaJollaLion
HAAA! You’re right. And they have to build a protective fortress around the dorms to protect the kids. It’s actually pretty cool.

The town itself is a sh!thole.

My daughter was invited to visit the place for grad school. The place was WAY overblown for what she was in. Other than the name, everything about Yale pretty much sucked compared to a lot of other schools. She seemed to know more than the guy that we had the interview with.
You went to a grad school interview with your daughter?

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Good for you !!! I’ll bet your kids screamed “Thank you Daddy”!!! when you told them they would be changing schools.🙂

I have a hunch Franklin has more sense than you give him credit for. If he’s looking long term, he stays at Penn State. If he’s looking for a quick buck and a probable future stain on his resume, he goes USC.

I have a feeling that you are projecting and you have no idea on what my kids ages were, where and when me moved, and the reasons why, but it didn't stop you from making an ignorant statement..which is par for the course.

You have yet to make a compelling argument because of your bias which is fine. Every school has pros and cons. You love to live this little fake umbrella and stick your fingers in your ears. Money, weather, kids, family, coaching salaries for your staff, NIL money, recruiting money, access to resources, relationships with the AD's. There are so many factors when it comes to a job.

Watch this reaction....and you see a coach who seems content. It doesn't mean he cannot pull a Saban, but our coach is still using it as leverage how many years running....that doesn't mean he is 100% satisfied and sorry if you're afraid to hear these things.

Reactions: psu00
You should stop wasting your time with this guy - he is simply not smart enough to think logically and assumes his likes and dislikes are the benchmark for everyone else.
Correct, he basically is spouting sh!t he hears in his echo chamber and really believes them. I don't want CFJ to go anywhere, but I'm not going to call Franklin stupid or project my opinions as CJF's.

As someone who has been a faculty member in higher education for many years, I have never heard of a parent being invited to a grad school or a professional school interview. I find it frankly bizarre.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT