ADVERTISEMENT

More Franklin to USC conjecture (link)

I have a feeling that you are projecting and you have no idea on what my kids ages were, where and when me moved, and the reasons why, but it didn't stop you from making an ignorant statement..which is par for the course.

You have yet to make a compelling argument because of your bias which is fine. Every school has pros and cons. You love to live this little fake umbrella and stick your fingers in your ears. Money, weather, kids, family, coaching salaries for your staff, NIL money, recruiting money, access to resources, relationships with the AD's. There are so many factors when it comes to a job.

Watch this reaction....and you see a coach who seems content. It doesn't mean he cannot pull a Saban, but our coach is still using it as leverage how many years running....that doesn't mean he is 100% satisfied and sorry if you're afraid to hear these things.

You do make one good argument. Weather. As long as it’s not too smoggy or smoky. 🙂

The rest is just hope and dreams.

They would have to pay him a sh!tload more money there than he is making here just to make things even. And then he has to deal with his guys living on a campus surrounded by different elements of the Bloods, along with an increasing number of dangerously increasing Hispanic gangs. That’s something he doesn’t have to deal with in State College.

Good luck with that.

You think our fan base is tough????? We ain’t nothin compared to USC.

You do make one good argument. Weather. As long as it’s not too smoggy or smoky. 🙂

The rest is just hope and dreams.

They would have to pay him a sh!tload more money there than he is making here just to make things even. And then he has to deal with his guys living on a campus surrounded by different elements of the Bloods, along with an increasing number of dangerously increasing Hispanic gangs. That’s something he doesn’t have to deal with in State College.

Good luck with that.

You think our fan base is tough????? We ain’t nothin compared to USC.
Ah yes as every kid in the nation also dreams of going to Central PA over Los Angeles. The scary crime card of the big city....you're just a walking talking point with no ability to think critically at all....none. Honestly, you have yourself convinced, but I notice you didn't touch the Jimbo comments about the LSU job....I know why too...doesn't fit your fake narrative you drew up in your head.

Last edited:
Ah yes as every kid also dreams of going to Central PA over Los Angeles. The scary crime card of the big city....you're just a walking talking point with no ability to think critically at all....none.
Its interesting to read posts from people denigrate another place, yet get so offended when someone does the same to some place they like.

Just hypocrites.

Reactions: WyomingLion
As someone who has been a faculty member in higher education for many years, I have never heard of a parent being invited to a grad school or a professional school interview. I find it frankly bizarre.

Well, I will admit none of us were very impressed.

Ah yes as every kid also dreams of going to Central PA over Los Angeles. The scary crime card of the big city....you're just a walking talking point with no ability to think critically at all....none.
The poster conceded the attraction of weather.

And why are you dismissing considerations of crime in Los Angeles?

Well, actually, that’s just logical thinking. You know. The thing your buddy psuro is so worried about.

Why create future problems for yourself when you don’t have to?

Oh he did roy....did the smog and smoke comments with the smiley face give you that hint? What I have said roy is that every place has pros and cons when it comes to the bigger schools. Do you agree with that comment or not? If you do, thanks....if you don't, so be it.

Its interesting to read posts from people denigrate another place, yet get so offended when someone does the same to some place they like.

Just hypocrites.

Actually, I’m thinking about where it would be easier to control and discipline a football team. The fewer outside distractions and potential off-field issues, the better.

Well, actually, that’s just logical thinking. You know. The thing your buddy psuro is so worried about.

Why create future problems for yourself when you don’t have to?

Because college football is changing and PSU has dinosaurs like you that like to still pretend PSU is Camelot and the rest of the nation is pure $h!t because it makes you sleep better. PSU has a ton going for it, but with NIL going on the game has changed......some schools are on that train and moving. Others aren't and others are trying to get going. Your talking points of 20 years ago are awesome though. College football has changed and if a school tells a coach we can do this for you NIL wise and the other says, be happy with what you got....we gave you this last year....it will only work for so long. OSU flew by PSU in the late 90's and early 2000's due to this antiquated mentality....and guess what it's in a crime ridden city in the middle of the country with the same weather....Why is that? Why isn't James making the same comments Jimbo is in public?

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Oh he did roy....did the smog and smoke comments with the smiley face give you that hint? What I have said roy is that every place has pros and cons when it comes to the bigger schools. Do you agree with that comment or not? If you do, thanks....if you don't, so be it.

Well, I guess if LaJollaLion was our coach, we know where you would go. 🙂

More power to you man!!! You’d need it out there. 🙂

I could not see myself living in CA. You all are arguing back and forth, but doubt CJF will be asking any of us our opinion. He will do what he feels is best. Personally I hope that is staying at Penn State.

• Love
Reactions: LaJollaLion
Well, I guess if LaJollaLion was our coach, we know where you would go. 🙂

More power to you man!!! You’d need it out there. 🙂
How come you don't address Jimbo's comments? Yes if a company said we will take care of you, increase our budget to compete with anyone in the nation, take care of your assistants, your kids school, and ensure we have everything in place for you to succeed including lucrative NIL deals for recruits....along with a raise.....I would really consider taking that job or at least hear them out. You would be a fool not to listen if you weren't 100% sold on your current situation.

However if I knew my current place was taking care of me properly, my family and staff was happy, and I had everything I wanted with NIL money, facilities, in addition to having family in the area you would see me issue a statement very similar to what Jimbo did yesterday with regards to LSU coming after him. I notice you won't touch those comments because you live in some denial bubble. You project so much BS, it's scary.

Last edited:
I could not see myself living in CA. You all are arguing back and forth, but doubt CJF will be asking any of us our opinion. He will do what he feels is best. Personally I hope that is staying at Penn State.
As do I, I don't want him to go, but there is a reason why he still has to use the leverage on an annual basis. Some people just don't like hearing it I guess.

The bottom line in these decisions is usually a personal decision by the coach and his wife/ family. No one knows the Franklin’s thoughts so we go to the usual debates with everyone projecting their opinions on USC , LSU, (or wherever). It makes for good debate but doesn’t get to the real bottom line. Clearly there’s some interest as Franklin hasn’t given an answer like Jimbo Fisher did above for Texas A&M.

Every place has its pros and cons. USC is the opposite end of the spectrum from State College in many ways. I could see how it would tempt many coaches with the glitz aspect, although the area around campus is a mess. Yeah there are good private schools and places to live out there but IIRC they aren’t near campus and it can take forever to drive across town (from what I hear) which pretty much makes USC a bit of a pain in the backside in many ways too.

As an aside, I could never understand why USC is the premiere program in LA and not UCLA. At UCLA a coach like Franklin could live in a great area, with private schools all near campus. They have the same location and recruiting advantage as SC and play at the Rose Bowl.

USC (from what I hear) is in a pretty bad part of town with gang and shooting issues. The Coliseum is in a bad location. There aren’t great areas around campus to live which requires lots of travel in crazy LA traffic etc.

Any left coasters who can explain why USC has the upper hand on UCLA?

The bottom line in these decisions is usually a personal decision by the coach and his wife/ family. No one knows the Franklin’s thoughts so we go to the usual debates with everyone projecting their opinions on USC , LSU, (or wherever). It makes for good debate but doesn’t get to the real bottom line. Clearly there’s some interest as Franklin hasn’t given an answer like Jimbo Fisher did above for Texas A&M.

Every place has its pros and cons. USC is the opposite end of the spectrum from State College in many ways. I could see how it would tempt many coaches with the glitz aspect, although the area around campus is a mess. Yeah there are good private schools and places to live out there but IIRC they aren’t near campus and it can take forever to drive across town (from what I hear) which pretty much makes USC a bit of a pain in the backside in many ways too.

As an aside, I could never understand why USC is the premiere program in LA and not UCLA. At UCLA a coach like Franklin could live in a great area, with private schools all near campus. They have the same location and recruiting advantage as SC and play at the Rose Bowl.

USC (from what I hear) is in a pretty bad part of town with gang and shooting issues. The Coliseum is in a bad location. There aren’t great areas around campus to live which requires lots of travel in crazy LA traffic etc.

Only thing I can think of is a long tradition of winning, sending players to NFL, etc. But hey, I'm not from the area, so I can't be sure.

Only thing I can think of is a long tradition of winning, sending players to NFL, etc. But hey, I'm not from the area, so I can't be sure.
Has to be part of it. It’s been that way for so long.

I went to a UCLA game at the Rose Bowl back when USC was still the hot team in LA (game was against ASU but there were a ton of folks in the stands wearing SC jerseys). Anyway, beautiful place to see a football game and my style of tailgate - mimosas and margaritas pre-noon, made to order omelets, gorgeous people everywhere. UCLA has it's football fans, but it's a basketball school at heart. And even though the Rose Bowl is iconic, it's old, and very average in terms of amenities and game day experience. My UCLA friends were excited about their new HC, Karl Dorrell, but Pete Carroll had just won his second National Championship and was on a ridiculous tear - he owned California. What I was told by my UCLA friends is the school, as part of the best, and most affordable, public university system in the country, is not going to break the bank on facilities or coaches. They don't live and die on Saturdays. This is the same Cal system that relegated Sandy Barbour (Miss Excellence!) to Milton from Office Space status for her f-up's at Berkeley. They're simply not going to get into an arms race with SC (private school) and are content to win with what they have. I do think they thought about 'going big' with the Rick Neuheisel hire, and he showed UCLA could recruit against USC. But, he wasn't given much time to turn things around despite solid Top 10-15 recruiting classes. I think Chip Kelly is a good fit there though - spotlight isn't too bright and he is a good coach who gets a lot from his players. For now, they've decided that's all they want IMO.

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head. USC might be the most overhyped school in the Country. I think it’s because people out east have this vision of LA from the 50s or 60s when it was Shangri-la.

As you say. UCLA is MUCH nicer, but not as much football tradition. In the end, money talks. And USC would have to come up with a sh!tload of it to drag him away from Penn State. Dollar for dollar, we win hands down.

I went to a UCLA game at the Rose Bowl back when USC was still the hot team in LA (game was against ASU but there were a ton of folks in the stands wearing SC jerseys). Anyway, beautiful place to see a football game and my style of tailgate - mimosas and margaritas pre-noon, made to order omelets, gorgeous people everywhere. UCLA has it's football fans, but it's a basketball school at heart. And even though the Rose Bowl is iconic, it's old, and very average in terms of amenities and game day experience. My UCLA friends were excited about their new HC, Karl Dorrell, but Pete Carroll had just won his second National Championship and was on a ridiculous tear - he owned California. What I was told by my UCLA friends is the school, as part of the best, and most affordable, public university system in the country, is not going to break the bank on facilities or coaches. They don't live and die on Saturdays. This is the same Cal system that relegated Sandy Barbour (Miss Excellence!) to Milton from Office Space status for her f-up's at Berkeley. They're simply not going to get into an arms race with SC (private school) and are content to win with what they have. I do think they thought about 'going big' with the Rick Neuheisel hire, and he showed UCLA could recruit against USC. But, he wasn't given much time to turn things around despite solid Top 10-15 recruiting classes. I think Chip Kelly is a good fit there though - spotlight isn't too bright and he is a good coach who gets a lot from his players. For now, they've decided that's all they want IMO.

Ya. The public/private thing makes a lot of difference wrt finances.

I know during the PAC 12 meetings, USC caucuses more with Stanford than they do with UCLA. If USC ever did leave the PAC 12, I’ve heard their first request for a traveling partner would be Stanford.

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head. USC might be the most overhyped school in the Country. I think it’s because people out east have this vision of LA from the 50s or 60s when it was Shangri-la.

As you say. UCLA is MUCH nicer, but not as much football tradition. In the end, money talks. And USC would have to come up with a sh!tload of it to drag him away from Penn State. Dollar for dollar, we win hands down.

One thing you're not considering is the academic reputation of USC, which has grown by leaps and bounds since the 90's. Below is an excerpt from an 'Ivy League' educational consulting company from 2007:

University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA

USC’s reputation soared at the turn of the 21st century. Due to their Friends and Neighbors Service Day community service projects, a revamped School of Medicine and a distinctive Renaissance Scholars Program, USC was named “College of the Year” in 2000 by Time and The Princeton Review. It only got better from there. With the close of the “Building on Excellence” campaign in 1993, USC set a record in higher education by conducting the most successful fundraising effort ever—$2.85 billion in nine and a half years. Employing some of that money, they have established a new faculty and curriculum building program to further their already ample research resources and staff.

To give you an even clearer picture of just how far they’ve come: Ten years ago, USC’s accepted approximately half of its applicants. In 2007-08, USC’s acceptance rate dropped to 21%. Did you know that USC ranks fourth among all colleges for the number of National Merit Scholars enrolled and, in 2008, USC appeared on Princeton Review’s list of “Dream Schools” at #9 for the first time. The future is indeed looking sunny for this upcoming institution in Los Angeles.

USC's Fall 2020 acceptance rate was 16%, and they're ranked #27 in US News and World Report's Best National Universities. In 2016, the Wall Street Journal ranked USC #15, ahead of Dartmouth, Emory, Rice, Carnegie Mellon, and Brown.

Having lived in Pasadena for the past 11 years, I would concur with some of what has been shared. UCLA is a great campus but just a pain to get there. I don't consider USC in a great part of LA. Easier to get to but lots of muggings and crime around the campus. I've always found UCLA playing games in the Rose Bowl as odd. In a way, Pasadena is a USC town because it's closer and a fair number of staff/faculty from USC commute from Pasadena.

When we moved here, we had a picture of what LA would be and no, it didn't match. But the LA area is a lot of different things because of how expansive it is.

I always equate USC to the Lakers in terms of how they are viewed to Los Angelenos. They view it almost as if they are entitled to having great, championship teams. It's definitely a Laker town first, Dodgers second, and USC third. Rams are getting more popular but still a distant fourth.

Reactions: LaJollaLion

Let's look at the most dangerous universities in America (from 2016). On this list is University of Maine, University of Alabama, UC Berkeley, and UC Santa Barbara. Not on the list is USC (or Penn State).

Let's look at the most dangerous universities in America (from 2016). On this list is University of Maine, University of Alabama, UC Berkeley, and UC Santa Barbara. Not on the list is USC (or Penn State).

C'mon. man...South Central/Watts is a primeval hell hole...list or no list

I had no idea how far UCLA campus was from Rose Bowl until we made trip out there for last Rose Bowl Penn State was in.

They should try to play in SoFi Stadium, looks heckuva lot closer.

Having lived in Pasadena for the past 11 years, I would concur with some of what has been shared. UCLA is a great campus but just a pain to get there. I don't consider USC in a great part of LA. Easier to get to but lots of muggings and crime around the campus. I've always found UCLA playing games in the Rose Bowl as odd. In a way, Pasadena is a USC town because it's closer and a fair number of staff/faculty from USC commute from Pasadena.

When we moved here, we had a picture of what LA would be and no, it didn't match. But the LA area is a lot of different things because of how expansive it is.

I always equate USC to the Lakers in terms of how they are viewed to Los Angelenos. They view it almost as if they are entitled to having great, championship teams. It's definitely a Laker town first, Dodgers second, and USC third. Rams are getting more popular but still a distant fourth.

All of this doesn't matter. When you have as much money as Franklin will, it doesn't matter where you live - you will not experience any place the same as your average person. I see it now in Northern Virginia. There are people at my kid's school who, when the pandemic hit, took their $50mm yacht and anchored in the Caribbean so their kids had something to do after doing school 'remotely' during the day. Others bought houses near the school just so their kids could walk to campus. It's a totally different world and crime, schools, etc. are almost meaningless to the way they will live their lives. But, in LA, the access to a certain quality of life (concerts, theater, business opportunities, NIL, real estate investment, arts and entertainment, etc.) is unmatched for a college football coach. If Franklin doesn't care for that stuff, and/or he likes where he is, he'll stay. He has lots of options and we'll likely go through this until he makes the playoff at PSU (at which point I think he makes it known he's not going anywhere).

First of all the only way this goes away is if Franklin publicly stated he’s not interested…hasn’t happened. So then people will say it’s for contract leverage. I get that but how many times has he been through this with the university? Let’s not forget the low buyout he has in his contract.

I could understand the leverage route if he had multiple B1G titles and a better record on the road against ranked teams. You earn leverage through performance right? So you give him another raise and then another job opens up…do you go through it again?

He’s a fantastic motivator, great recruiter and a family man. But he needs to make his decision and stick to it and end the games in my opinion. That’s my take anyway…

I was an adjunct professor at USC from 2018-20 and would get campus safety emails all the time. My references to robberies/muggings of USC students rarely occurred on campus but nearby campus so I don't know if that plays a role in how the crime statistics are noted. I saw the same when I was at Yale. I would get daily emails about incidents with Yale students but they were always off campus. Was the campus grounds safe? Sure. Was New Haven? No.

I had no idea how far UCLA campus was from Rose Bowl until we made trip out there for last Rose Bowl Penn State was in.

They should try to play in SoFi Stadium, looks heckuva lot closer.
It's a good thought. I know the Super Bowl is there this year and the CFP championship next year I believe. My annoyance with UCLA playing at the Rose Bowl is that from Sept-Nov, two golf courses around the stadium (Brookside) are in crappy condition because of the parking/tailgating that happens on the course during the season.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I was an adjunct professor at USC from 2018-20 and would get campus safety emails all the time. My references to robberies/muggings of USC students rarely occurred on campus but nearby campus so I don't know if that plays a role in how the crime statistics are noted. I saw the same when I was at Yale. I would get daily emails about incidents with Yale students but they were always off campus. Was the campus grounds safe? Sure. Was New Haven? No.

Right. People aren't going to stop going to Yale or USC because of off campus crime. And if you're rich, it doesn't matter either way.

I'll redirect you to my post above. It doesn't matter.
If you want to make a point with a "list", fair enough...look around and you'll find one that suits your purpose. Or, you can go with reality. Your choice.

All of this doesn't matter. When you have as much money as Franklin will, it doesn't matter where you live - you will not experience any place the same as your average person. I see it now in Northern Virginia. There are people at my kid's school who, when the pandemic hit, took their $50mm yacht and anchored in the Caribbean so their kids had something to do after doing school 'remotely' during the day. Others bought houses near the school just so their kids could walk to campus. It's a totally different world and crime, schools, etc. are almost meaningless to the way they will live their lives. But, in LA, the access to a certain quality of life (concerts, theater, business opportunities, NIL, real estate investment, arts and entertainment, etc.) is unmatched for a college football coach. If Franklin doesn't care for that stuff, and/or he likes where he is, he'll stay. He has lots of options and we'll likely go through this until he makes the playoff at PSU (at which point I think he makes it known he's not going anywhere).
I agree. I was just shedding some light on LA and agreeing with the poster about east coast view of LA. With the right amount of money, the quality of life here is exceptional.

I heard on the radio (Full Ride with Childers/Neuheisel) that Childers' view was Franklin should consider LSU over USC and noted state taxes. With the kind of cash he'd make, taxes are not a consideration. If you want beaches, you come to LA. You want crawfish, go to LSU.

I do think he has a better chance at a playoff spot with USC than here. I wish that was not the case but that's my opinion. I think his best team was the 2017 team (4th Q debacle to OSU and last second FG in weather delayed MSU game) and sadly, I think that's about the best we can hope for from him here. 2019 was nearly the same--should beat Minnesota and outmatched by OSU.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Right. People aren't going to stop going to Yale or USC because of off campus crime. And if you're rich, it doesn't matter either way.
Our daughter had a choice between Yale and UVA for grad school. We tried to steer her toward UVA because of crime in New Haven...unsuccessfully as it turned out. In the interim, the city has made a lot of progress toward gentrifying the area adjacent to the campus.

Our daughter had a choice between Yale and UVA for grad school. We tried to steer her toward UVA because of crime in New Haven...unsuccessfully as it turned out. In the interim, the city has made a lot of progress toward gentrifying the area adjacent to the campus.

Two excellent choices; she made the right one IMO.

No but is a lot easier to get double digit wins and he was already on the big stage at tOSU

He struggled as the interim at tOSU. Doing extremely well at Cincy less pressure. Not saying he won’t leave but I think it will be harder to pry him away from there than some people think. Would be absolutely shocked if he went to USC.
I think the question then is if we could get him at Franklin left.

None of know what Franklin wants professionally going forward. If he’s looking for stability, it sure seems like he’s in the right place. Just based on recent turnover at both LSU and USC, their coaches seem to be on much shorter leashes in terms of Wins & Losses. PSU (much to many posters’ dismay) seems to be alright with just being competitive. This being the case, Franklin appears to be approaching “position-for-life” status with the PSU administration.

As for winning, it’s hard to argue with the posters who have been suggesting that PSU is not all-in with being elite. There is a price to pay for being one of the very small handful of elite programs. I honestly believe we’re at the door to join that club, but just fall short when it comes to taking the last step inside. If that’s ultimately not good enough for Franklin, then he’ll justifiably walk and take his chances with someone who will. The risk with that choice is lesser job security, but if betting on himself pays off, then it’ll ultimately be worth it.

Fresh coaching carousel update from TrojansWire/USA Today…

Why is Franklin back at No. 1, after being No. 2 in previous weeks?

The answer is simple: Industry chatter is pointing to him more than Luke Fickell:

John Canzano of The Oregonian has been talking to people in the industry, and those sources are saying Franklin will likely be USC’s next head coach.

Let’s be clear: This is not a DONE DEAL. Don’t assume this will be the outcome. Think of this as a “this is where the winds are blowing at the moment” situation. The winds can change. They often do.

The breeze which might change Franklin’s mind is the LSU opening. Could he choose LSU over USC? It wouldn’t be preposterous at all. Franklin coached in the SEC at Vanderbilt. He knows how good the conference is and how much of a recruiting advantage he would have in Louisiana. We don’t know if Franklin clearly likes USC more than LSU. He might, but we don’t know, and we’re not going to pretend we know. We’ll wait for something more solid.

I know it's a way different world now, but all of this makes me appreciate even more what we had with Joe Paterno. He wasn't motivated much by status or money, and he had a love for the University. Too bad in the end, that University didn't reciprocate such loyalty.

Reactions: MacNit07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT