ADVERTISEMENT

More Franklin to USC conjecture (link)

You’re imagining his wife and kids would prefer LA? That’s just another way of saying you have no idea. Or maybe you’ve spoken to them and they told you. I don’t get the assumption by many that anyone with a family would prefer to live in LA. I can think if hundreds of places I’d rather live.
You also have no idea and are projecting your personal tastes onto others.

Conversely, LA area is also better than "hundreds of places"

There‘s that Sword of Damocles hanging over the program making yet another appearance. When will this tiresome dance become completely intolerable? Coach Franklin has won exactly one conference title at PSU. He is 1-6 vs O$U. His Defensive Coordinator just blew yet another 4th quarter lead for yet another PSU loss. This situation is absurd, and it appears as though most of Nittany Nation is fine with it. Unbelievable If he wants to go - then go. We can find another coaching staff that can win one title in 8 years, bleep away 4th quarter leads every season, and go 1-6 ( soon to be 1-7, almost inevitably) against our main rival.
Seriously? Lol 😂 yeah it’s all bad no good under James.

There‘s that Sword of Damocles hanging over the program making yet another appearance. When will this tiresome dance become completely intolerable? Coach Franklin has won exactly one conference title at PSU. He is 1-6 vs O$U. His Defensive Coordinator just blew yet another 4th quarter lead for yet another PSU loss. This situation is absurd, and it appears as though most of Nittany Nation is fine with it. Unbelievable If he wants to go - then go. We can find another coaching staff that can win one title in 8 years, bleep away 4th quarter leads every season, and go 1-6 ( soon to be 1-7, almost inevitably) against our main rival.

If you're certain that Ms. Excellence has a coach-in-waiting that is better than Coach Franklin then anchors aweigh, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

If you're certain that Ms. Excellence has a coach-in-waiting that is better than Coach Franklin then anchors aweigh, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
I’m certain that Nittany Nation should be sick and tired of this “will Coach Franklin go?” little cabaret that seems to play out every damn season. He refuses publicly and unequivocally denounce these rumors - which most likely means he is entertaining them. Enough - he’s no Nick Saban. If he wants to go, then for God’s sake go. Give Yurcich the job - I’m sure he can win one conference title every 8 years, blow 4th quarter leads every season, and win once every 7 games against Ohio State. That’s Franklin’s record- so what would be the big loss if he in fact leaves?

Great leaderers plan for all conceivable and inconceivable scenarios.

Yes, only on a message board would having a third year starting QB that no one wants to sit behind be looked at as a coaching failure.
Everything is the coaches fault! 1st commandment of the BWI CAC Bible. 2nd commandment...WE deserve better.

I’m certain that Nittany Nation should be sick and tired of this “will Coach Franklin go?” little cabaret that seems to play out every damn season. He refuses publicly and unequivocally denounce these rumors - which most likely means he is entertaining them. Enough - he’s no Nick Saban. If he wants to go, then for God’s sake go. Give Yurcich the job - I’m sure he can win one conference title every 8 years, blow 4th quarter leads every season, and win once every 7 games against Ohio State. That’s Franklin’s record- so what would be the big loss if he in fact leaves?
Some have postulated that he uses the rumors to leverage better pay for assistants, facilities, and so forth.

That may not be true, but it is reasonable.

So, why would we not want him to do that?

I am neither a detractor or a fan of CJF, I'm pretty neutral, but isn't this simply good decision making on his part?

Reactions: WyomingLion
Not in the least concerned about the LSU opening but I confess to being a little worried about these constant USC rumors for reasons that some have pointed out.

After eight years in this league, a man might be forgiven for being tempted to make a switch from the status of Red-Headed Stepchild in the Big Suck to Favored Son on the sunny shores of southern California. (They say it never rains there.)

But all is not lost. Word on the street is that Dabo may be available if Clemson loses to Pitt on Saturday... ;)

I'm not sick of them. But then I don't live vicariously through PSU Football. I'm thrilled to have a coach everyone would like to hire. If you marry a beautiful girl, everywhere you go men will stare at her. I'd sign on for that any day as opposed to hitching up with a beast and having the assurance that no one would want her.
I have no idea what James and Fumi think about their situation in State College. No one who posts here does.
I sincerely hope he stays, but should he go......I'll thank him for the memories and trust that PSU will have a national search.....with a preference for someone with successful head coaching experience to carry on.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Some have postulated that he uses the rumors to leverage better pay for assistants, facilities, and so forth.

I am neither a detractor or a fan of CJF, I'm pretty neutral, but isn't this simply good decision making on his part?
Yes, but good decision making and sound judgement never filters down to this board.

So you have absolute confidence that if Coach Franklin leaves, the next person hired by PSU won't be worse? Batter up!

Everyone has an opinion. No one is authorized to say what "we" or "Nittany Nation" thinks or wants.

You also have no idea and are projecting your personal tastes onto others.

Conversely, LA area is also better than "hundreds of places"
Yawn. I didn't project anything. The point of my post (which flew over your head) was that nobody can assume where anyone in the Franklin family would like to live.

And congrats on your ability to inject a non sequitur. I never claimed LA was in the bottom 100 of anything. I said there are hundreds of places I'd rather live. My apologies if you're unable to see the difference.

Reactions: WyomingLion
Cut back on the caffeine....

What do you wish to talk about then, your favorite color. And why are you here? Should it get tiresome then don't open up the message.

Let's put it this way. Sure, CJF has had a nice run but how he handled the QB depth chart in this day of the Transfer Portal is not exactly a resume builder. Not for a program like USC.
Relax snowflake, it’s just a message board

Yawn. I didn't project anything. The point of my post (which flew over your head) was that nobody can assume where anyone in the Franklin family would like to live.

And congrats on your ability to inject a non sequitur. I never claimed LA was in the bottom 100 of anything. I said there are hundreds of places I'd rather live. My apologies if you're unable to see the difference.
One thing that occurs to me when I see folks with less than favorable opinions of "LA...." The neighborhoods and lifestyle that Coach Franklin and family would be frequenting, would be a tad different than the experience most of us would have.

What do you wish to talk about then, your favorite color. And why are you here? Should it get tiresome then don't open up the message.

Let's put it this way. Sure, CJF has had a nice run but how he handled the QB depth chart in this day of the Transfer Portal is not exactly a resume builder. Not for a program like USC.
All Franklin needs to do if bat his eyes at a major program and he could have another HC position tomorrow.
I believe there is a law against holding someone against their will......speaking of Will.....and that's the only way Cjf was keeping SC AND WL. But let's not get confused with the facts. Fire Franklin!

Because a good decision for Coach Franklin may not be a good decision for PSU.

Because a good decision for Coach Franklin may not be a good decision for PSU.
Are you saying that because perhaps NO ONE should be paying millions for football coaches?

Well, if so, that's an entirely different conversation.

Other than that, I can't see how it's a bad thing that CJF uses his leverage to get better facilities, staff budget, etc.

Of course, that MAY NOT be his motivation. How can we know?

I’m still waiting to hear what about Coach Franklin’s actual record is so awesome that he can’t be replaced? How hard is it to go 1-6 (soon to be 1-7) against Ohio State? How hard is it to win one conference title in 8 years when leading an all-time great program? How hard is it to go 3-3 in bowl games? Again - what is indispensable about a good head coach (not great - he’s no Saban, Meyer, or even Sweeney)? He wants to leave - then leave. I doubt it would be hard to find a replacement that can lose to Ohio State every season.

Are you saying that because perhaps NO ONE should be paying millions for football coaches?

Well, if so, that's an entirely different conversation.

Other than that, I can't see how it's a bad thing that CJF uses his leverage to get better facilities, staff budget, etc.

Of course, that MAY NOT be his motivation. How can we know?

Hiring Kirk Ciarrocca was a "good decision?" Putting PSU in hock for better facilities, an investment that may never pay off is a "good decision" for PSU? You'd be right at home on the BoT.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCLion
I’m still waiting to hear what about Coach Franklin’s actual record is so awesome that he can’t be replaced? How hard is it to go 1-6 (soon to be 1-7) against Ohio State? How hard is it to win one conference title in 8 years when leading an all-time great program? How hard is it to go 3-3 in bowl games? Again - what is indispensable about a good head coach (not great - he’s no Saban, Meyer, or even Sweeney)? He wants to leave - then leave. I doubt it would be hard to find a replacement that can lose to Ohio State every season.
It must be pretty difficult or OSU would not have the record it has had against all division opponents. Michigan can’t win one game. How many loses do they have in the last 5 years ?

I assume he's the #1 choice of the committee and they have the arrogance to believe he will take the massive amount of money they offer. I don't think he'll take it, but who knows. It's definitely a much better situation for him. Being in the B1GE with mediocre facilities, mediocre commitment from the school, mediocre recruiting area, and a fanbase that expects national titles is a really rough situation.

It must be pretty difficult or OSU would not have the record it has had against all division opponents. Michigan can’t win one game. How many loses do they have in the last 5 years ?
So you agree - it wouldn’t be difficult to replicate Franklin’s appalling record vs OSU - everyone does it! Apparently, PSU football isn’t special, it’s the same as Purdue and Michigan State. Who knew? I thought Penn State football was supposed to be elite. I apologize for my misconception. We’re just another program playing second fiddle to Ohio State. Nice job Coach Franklin! You’ve seen our low expectations, and met them! Keep us on this asinine string of “stay or go” forever - it’s clear we’re all masochists that are ok with mediocre results on the field and being toyed with off of it. Unbelievabl.

Since pretty much all of the teams in the Big have no wins against OSU in the last seven years, I’d say it’s pretty hard to go 1-6 against them. If he’s just a “good” coach, then why all the interest in him? It seems that doing what he’s done at PSU is a little more difficult than you think.

So you agree - it wouldn’t be difficult to replicate Franklin’s appalling record vs OSU - everyone does it! Apparently, PSU football isn’t special, it’s the same as Purdue and Michigan State. Who knew? I thought Penn State football was supposed to be elite. I apologize for my misconception. We’re just another program playing second fiddle to Ohio State. Nice job Coach Franklin! You’ve seen our low expectations, and met them! Keep us on this asinine string of “stay or go” forever - it’s clear we’re all masochists that are ok with mediocre results on the field and being toyed with off of it. Unbelievabl.
Please tell us when the last time PSU football was elite. Your memory must have skipped over the last 30 years. And if 42 wins in four years is mediocre, sign me up for that every year.

Maybe this is a question for an "insider" or someone much closer to sources, or the situation itself - but what happens inside the program while this type of media blitz is taking place? Are the AD/President meeting with Franklin? Does Franklin get asked by the players? While I don't particularly like that our coach is getting poached, aren't we at an advantage right now? As we can start negotiations, or find out where we need to be to get Franklin to stay?

Maybe this is a question for an "insider" or someone much closer to sources, or the situation itself - but what happens inside the program while this type of media blitz is taking place? Are the AD/President meeting with Franklin? Does Franklin get asked by the players? While I don't particularly like that our coach is getting poached, aren't we at an advantage right now? As we can start negotiations, or find out where we need to be to get Franklin to stay?

Smart coaches who are happy where they are have turned similar situations into bigger contracts/contract extensions (Gundy with Tenn, Patterson with PSU, etc.). My guess is Franklin tells his agent the things he would like from PSU to compete with whatever (if anything) other schools are offering and the agent serves as a go-between so Franklin isn't wrapped up in off-field distractions. USC and LSU (and PSU) are all great jobs; will be interesting to see how desperate each gets as the coaching carousel ramps up.

A year ago I was more concerned about the USC rumors.
But it feels like all Franklin has been missing to "get to elite" was the top-notch QB recruit and a QB whisperer offensive coordinator. For the first time in forever it feels like he has those two things lined up for next year. Seems like an odd time to bolt and work to get those pieces in place somewhere else.

The question is, does he have confidence Yurcich is here next year and not poached? If that's a concern, then the timing to look for greener pastures elsewhere would make more sense.

Come on down...

USATSI_13885713-1024x683.jpg

What?? Are you off your meds again?

Shame on CJF/his agent for telling Paul Finebaum and other media he is interested in other jobs.

Oh wait, that very likely hasn’t happened, but rather these blowhards media types are trying to act relevant and get clicks. Imagine that, assumptions, rumors, and speculations to get clicks.

Some of you are clearly the easy marks they are desiring.

And if 42 wins in four years is mediocre, sign me up for that every year.
This is where some of us get hung up.

I realize that there’s probably 115-120 D-IA programs that would trade for Penn State’s record in a heartbeat. We enjoy some pretty darn good football.

That doesn’t mean, however, that it is unreasonable to want more, especially as this team has recently stood at the doorstep of elite but failed to take the step.

(And no, I don’t think replacing Franklin is in any way a solution to that)

42 wins in 4 years. 3 BCS bowls in 4 years. Who you got not named Dabo, Saban, or any other Blue Blood coach?

Please tell us when the last time PSU football was elite. Your memory must have skipped over the last 30 years. And if 42 wins in four years is mediocre, sign me up for that every year.
42 wins in 4 years. 3 BCS bowls in 4 years. Who you got not named Dabo, Saban, or any other Blue Blood coach?
Those would be significant metrics - if we were still an independent. We aren’t. We, unfortunately, are a Big Ten team, and therefore the metrics that matter are conference titles, playoff births, and defeating Ohio State ( and UM). And using those metrics, I’m sure there are at least 5 or 6 candidates that could at least equal Coach Franklin’s (lousy) results of 1, none, and 1-6 (3-4).

Those would be significant metrics - if we were still an independent. We aren’t. We, unfortunately, are a Big Ten team, and therefore the metrics that matter are conference titles, playoff births, and defeating Ohio State ( and UM). And using those metrics, I’m sure there are at least 5 or 6 candidates that could at least equal Coach Franklin’s (lousy) results of 1, none, and 1-6 (3-4).
All fine and dandy. Question remains: who does Ms. Excellence have waiting in the wings that will guarundumteed do better?

I read an interview the other day with Luke & Wife. She’s an Ohioan and doesn’t desire to leave. Very interesting.

Why anyone would rather stay in Ohio rather than live with good money in LA is beyond me.
I get that LA isn't perfect, but weather alone would be enough to get me there.

Do you really think Franklin thinks that if he goes to USC it is easier for me to get to the playoffs? I find it hard to believe that a top notch coach would change jobs because he feels he can’t beat certain teams. These coaches thrive on competition. The day they throw their hands up and say it is too difficult to beat that team I am moving on, is the day they should retire.
Top coaches thrive on intense competition. You got to believe that every season Franklin believes they have a shot at beating the Ohio State and Alabama’s of the world and want to play them.

Do the homework....you would be surprised how many coaches don't meet your criteria.

Reactions: RGWhirly
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT