ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan O-Lineman claims Penn State players tried to gouge Shea Patterson's Eyes out during scrum

I think it’s Gross Matos. He seems to swing his right arm kind of wildly as #86 (Spoonmaker?) grabs him and hops on him for a piggyback ride.

Last edited:
Someone said it was Tyler Rudolph. No idea if true, or if he was even in the game. If Michigan is still trying to advance the ball after the whistle, that's on them.

Reactions: BoulderFish
It’s Tuesday night before their biggest home game of the season after a huge big ten East loss and you have Runyan and Patterson complaining of eye gouging, Nico Collins still talking about the OPI against him, and Harbaugh bitching about anything he can from Saturday night.

Sounds like they are REALLY focused on the Irish. Harbaugh is doing a bang up job.

I hope Franklin gets credit for beating them two weeks in a row.

Yep. It’s one thing for fans to do this. But for the team to do it .... not good. I was thinking they had a good shot to beat ND, however that feeling is beginning to fade away

Discretion is probably key here, but I don't feel bad about this at all. Not this team and not this player, who is anything but an innocent kid.

I have been thinking this for a while, but Michigan really believes itself entitled to not only win, but for other teams to lie down and for the officials to defer to, and favor, them. They have a very similar attitude to Juventus in Italian soccer or Duke basketball. Every year Duke makes a 1000+ more free throws than their opponents even shoot and yet game after game their coach is constantly berating, insulting and cursing at the officials. Juventus gets mysterious penalty kicks nearly every game, but if one of the “lesser” teams dares to get physical with them they lose their collective minds. Heaven forbid another team gets a penalty called in their favor.

The main difference I see is that Juventus and Duke are truly among the elite teams irrespective of which sport one is discussing. Juventus has won 35 Serie A titles. Since 1980, Duke has won 5 national championships and has made 10 or 11 finals appearances.

What has Michigan done to deserve the right to be so damned arrogant? One half of a national championship since WWII. They are the Dave Jones of college football.

Last edited:
I have been thinking this for a while, but Michigan really believes itself entitled to not only win, but for other teams to lie down and for the officials to defer to, and favor, them.
What has Michigan done to deserve the right to be so damned arrogant? One half of a national championship since WWII.

You've distilled the whole issue, right here.

We are still in the pattern of michigan beating PSU and mocking us, then getting beat by PSU and crying. It's back and forth and it really reflects poorly on the team.

The crap they talked after humiliating us during the sanctions was appalling; some of the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen. These jerks know our kids had to play too much and were beaten up and exhausted, yet they still laughed in their faces and in the press afterwards. Then when we get revenge, they cried about it and were offended. Then they get their "revenge" and taunt us some more, running up the score just like they cried about the year before. Now we beat them and they cry about it AGAIN for a week. They're all just total shitbags. Coaches, players, fans; everyone up there.

Last edited:
Gouged his eyes? Who? Which team? From the front or behind? Since the offense was allowed to push him from behind the defense would push him back. Fingers in the eyes could happen from either direction and not be planned as they could not see where their fingers happened to be under that pile the refs allow to continue interminably.
Exactly, given the game situation at the time, we know the Michigan players were continually trying to push the pile forward and probably didn't care what they were pushing, the PSU players where trying to push the pile backwards while grabbing, punching, pinching anything in hopes of dislodging the ball. Most likely, players may not even know who or what they were grabbing ahold of in the massive scrum.

Not that I condone it, not idea if any eye gouging was intentional, but that stuff has always gone on and always will go on. Welcome to football.

We are still in the pattern of michigan beating PSU and mocking us, then getting beat by PSU and crying. It's back and forth and it really reflects poorly on the team.

The crap they talked after humiliating us during the sanctions was appalling; some of the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen. These jerks know our kids had to play too much and were beaten up and exhausted, yet they still laughed in their faces and in the press afterwards. Then when we get revenge, they cried about it and were offended. Then they get their "revenge" and taunt us some more, running up the score just like they cried about the year before. Now we beat them and they cry about it AGAIN for a week. They're all just total shitbags. Coaches, players, fans; everyone up there.

I feel like I should save this post, and share it whenever someone asks me why I can't stand Michigan ... their fans or their program.

This is all about the Michigan Myth. This program is living off past results. Those past results are also a myth. They built a huge number of wins in the Big 2 Little 8. Once they left the conference they got beat in the Rose bowl. Even now the same has happened. With Jimmie, Michigan has never lost a game that was their fault. It’s always the other team cheated, the refs screwed them, blah, blah, blah. He's has done his team no favors breeding this attitude through his team.

Did someone’s hand get in the QBs face mask, who knows. In a dog pile like that crazy things happen. Still crying about it in Tuesday, really? I’d like to see them lose again this week. I will say that all that international travel has really built a strong team. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even if he did have his eyes gauged, how in the world would he have any idea who did it? It was a mass of humanity. And how would the gauger have known he was gauging Patterson's eyes. Honestly, I'm not doubting the fact he had his eye(s) gauged as much as I'm wondering why no one would question how he would have any idea who did it.

Reactions: Shadow99

LMAO Michigan "MEN". They all must be "transitioning".
giphy.gif

Pretty sure this all happened on the sideline when Harbaugh went in for a juicy booger and accidentally hooked Patterson in the eye.

The Big whistled past the graveyard with Bosa's neck wringing, (which could have been fatal), of Hackenberg. Anything goes just win.
Agreed. When the incompetent B1G Referines don't call these types of penalties, then apparently anything is fair game!? Sorgi nearly had is adam's apple crushed and Hack could have been hurt bad.
bf99b3b6-c202-5d54-9f53-1c7e53442ccf.image.jpg
42423_h.jpg

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Harbaugh also claimed that they didn’t have time to get the defensive signal in on Hamler’s last touchdown. Franklin mentioned during his PC that he saw Michigan get their defensive signal in while watching the film of the play. Another lie.

Depends on what "got it in" means. Harbrains may have signaled, but possibly his players are as alert as he is and they didn't react in time to get set up in the new defense before PSU snapped the ball.....

And to the original thread topic, who would really believe a "Michigan Man"....

;)

Last edited:
Well, like the touchdown, the officials would have called it if they saw it:rolleyes:

There is a quite logical reason for this. A football is filled with air and Shea Pattersons head is filled with air. In a scrum the players were grabbing for what felt like a football.

The Drama Queens in Ann Arbor need to focus on ND.

I question the integrity of Runyon. (I was always a huge fan of Papa Runyon when he played for the iggled). However, this is the same kid who was named PA Player of the Year when he played for St. Joe's Prep but lived in South Jersey!! How the eff does the PIAA let that happen!! I digress as I am still pissed that St. Joe's Prep is permitted to compete in the PIAA championships with kids from out of the state.

scUM are sore losers, what ever happen to play with class. Football is a violent sport and if you can't handle the violence then get out of the sport. Pussification of the American male continues and it is bleeding in our beloved sport. This sort of seems like we are going the way that the British used to fight wars in a gentlemanly manner by walk straight at each other and shooting.

It sounds like they are already starting the "revenge tour 2.0" talk for 2020. Or is it revenge tour 3.0? 4.0? It's hard to keep track. How many times has Michigan entered a season with big expectations only to have them come crashing down once the games are played? This was the year they were supposed to win Hairball's first B1G championship and make the CFP. Barring meltdowns by the Buckeyes and the Lions, the fantasies died Saturday night and that's assuming they win out with ND, MSU and tOSU left on their schedule.

They may beat us next year. Who knows? But with this attitude, the perpetual motion, wait-til-next-year machine will keep on rolling in Ann Arbor.

Michigan State. Michigan State. Michigan State.

Reactions: LionJim
I have not read this entire thread. I just watched the highlight video posted in the Onward State article about this incident and at the end Patterson walks off the field and you can clearly see how white his wide eyes are. Wouldn't be that way if he had been gouged....and don't give me any BS with eye drops.

https://onwardstate.com/2019/10/22/...m1x5K8OIzIUUjjvNBEWWOxLHIi5S2YElqTWEmykQDPeec

I’m telling you, it wasn’t an eye gouge but an inadvertent Gross Matos eye poke on the initial surge towards the goal line.

I mean come on! Obviously nobody condones it-but who knows what things happen in piles in a lot of games that no one brings up after, it's a violent game, if it happened it could have also been accidental. As posted, Hack basically had his head twisted off-I didn't hear him crying about it. Harbaugh and Michigan are a desperate team because they once again have underachieved-need to make excuses for that. The craziest thing of all-I LOATHE ND but I might not root against them this weekend.

Last edited:
The Skycam feed on ESPN showed the UM sideline during the lengthy (useless) review of the play. Harbaugh did walk Patterson over to the officials and complain about it. Patterson was visibly having issues with his eyes immediately after leaving the pile and during that long delay. It was pretty obvious that Patterson's eye-black was smeared on the one-side of his face. His actions didn't make it seem like he was faking it. Because of that, I'd mark this accusation of an attempted eye-gouge as highly probable.

It happens in football. It's terrible sportsmanship. It's also terrible officiating to not blow the whistle sooner on that play and then take so long in clearing the pile. One official should have been right on top of that pile looking for Patterson and the ball, and two more should've been ripping players off. Instead they just kind of circled around.

Harbaugh was right to alert the officials about, at the same time, there's not much you can do about it. It looked like he said something to the effect of, "this is what we have to deal with." But I couldn't hear it completely.

Bullshir

It comes back to a lack of respect. From the day we came into this conference, no one from Michigan has respected our program. When they win, they laugh at us and chant "We Own Penn State". When we win, it's because of luck, or some other external factor.

As Penn State fans, we don't need their validation. Just need to beat them. We did it with a very young squad. They lose a lot next year, so beat them again at their place and move on from there.

Although I originally thought that they would, maybe Michigan WON'T beat Notre Dame. It is one thing for the focus of FANS to be on the previous game, but if the PLAYERS are likewise looking backwards, it isn't conducive to performance or accomplishing the next goal at hand.

Welp! now our Beat writers, some of whom love nothing better than "bad" PSU press are tweeting about it.

Didn't Clifford come to the sideline holding his eye during the Iowa game? Was there any talk about that after that game?

Last edited:
Reactions: odshowtime
This is how they act now that not everything is going their way all the time.

Witviot retired, Delany leaving, Dick Honig close to hanging it up, Lemonnier long gone, getting annually killed in the game, etc.

Tough scene all around
Yes, but it almost seems as if they are already lobbying for calls for the PSU visit to Ann Arbor next year...pathetic considering the favorable benefit-of-the-doubt calls that UM has enjoyed year after year throughout most of the UM football program's existence.

He wasn't complaining and complimented PSU and the environment.

This is going to get some media traction. I won't be surprised if: (1) someone on the defense ends up suspiciously absent in the first half of the MSU game; and/or (2) the NCAA cancels the rest of PSU's season.

Eye-gouging is way over the line, whether it's your team or not. Akin to ankle twisting. Could've injured Patterson very badly, if not permanently, if that was what the phantom gouger was actually trying to do.
Surely the first thought of a defensive player was "forget about where the ball is and whether it is a TD or not; let me go after someone's eye instead" :rolleyes:

As another poster mentioned above, if an eye poke happened, it is just as likely to be a member of the UM offensive line doing so inadvertently as it is to be a PSU defensive player inadvertently...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nittany_93
Someone said it was Tyler Rudolph. No idea if true, or if he was even in the game. If Michigan is still trying to advance the ball after the whistle, that's on them.

No, he didn't even play.
Figures. Some nerd on mgoblog was all outraged saying Rudolph gouged Patterson's eyes in the pile. Should've known better.

Last edited:
It sounds like they are already starting the "revenge tour 2.0" talk for 2020. Or is it revenge tour 3.0? 4.0? It's hard to keep track. How many times has Michigan entered a season with big expectations only to have them come crashing down once the games are played? This was the year they were supposed to win Hairball's first B1G championship and make the CFP. Barring meltdowns by the Buckeyes and the Lions, the fantasies died Saturday night and that's assuming they win out with ND, MSU and tOSU left on their schedule.

They may beat us next year. Who knows? But with this attitude, the perpetual motion, wait-til-next-year machine will keep on rolling in Ann Arbor.

Michigan State. Michigan State. Michigan State.
I just hope officials don't feel compelled by Michigan pressure for "make up" calls against PSU this weekend. I put nothing past what this conference its capable of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT