ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan O-Lineman claims Penn State players tried to gouge Shea Patterson's Eyes out during scrum

Figures. Some nerd on mgoblog was all outraged saying Rudolph gouged Patterson's eyes in the pile. Should've known better.
I think YGM as he was being held coming off the edge might have inadvertently gotten a finger in his helmet. Patterson wasn't even on the bottom of the pile. He was on 2 of his interior linemen and Windsor. Certainly the 3 refs that were right there would have seen the 10 seconds of eye gouging he claims.

This is all about the Michigan Myth. This program is living off past results. Those past results are also a myth. They built a huge number of wins in the Big 2 Little 8. Once they left the conference they got beat in the Rose bowl. Even now the same has happened. With Jimmie, Michigan has never lost a game that was their fault. It’s always the other team cheated, the refs screwed them, blah, blah, blah. He's has done his team no favors breeding this attitude through his team.

Did someone’s hand get in the QBs face mask, who knows. In a dog pile like that crazy things happen. Still crying about it in Tuesday, really? I’d like to see them lose again this week. I will say that all that international travel has really built a strong team. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is a narrative/storyline that is being woefully looked over by the media, and that is the ascendency of the CJF era...passing the descent of Harbaugh.

CJF is on the rise and Harbaugh is on the decline. They passed one another’s on Saturday night. The negativity coming out of Harbaugh is permeating the locker room...and viewing that against the way CJF has handled things is really striking. That’s complaining about the officials etc. It’s also evident in tee way Harbaugh has allowed Gattis to be buried in the press...(it’s not Michigan’s offensive scheme that is the primary problem).

Ah, just like Brandon Bell supposedly did against Ohio State in 2014.

Of course, that's another story that didn't crop up until 60 hours after the fact. Just like this one.

Frankly, I don't believe either one.

The Skycam feed on ESPN showed the UM sideline during the lengthy (useless) review of the play. Harbaugh did walk Patterson over to the officials and complain about it. Patterson was visibly having issues with his eyes immediately after leaving the pile and during that long delay. It was pretty obvious that Patterson's eye-black was smeared on the one-side of his face. His actions didn't make it seem like he was faking it. Because of that, I'd mark this accusation of an attempted eye-gouge as highly probable.

It happens in football. It's terrible sportsmanship. It's also terrible officiating to not blow the whistle sooner on that play and then take so long in clearing the pile. One official should have been right on top of that pile looking for Patterson and the ball, and two more should've been ripping players off. Instead they just kind of circled around.

Harbaugh was right to alert the officials about, at the same time, there's not much you can do about it. It looked like he said something to the effect of, "this is what we have to deal with." But I couldn't hear it completely.
It's also possible that someone on top of him had a hand inadvertently make contact with his face. I'm sure players are trying to get up off the pile or make sure they aren't putting themselves in a position to be harmed (which you usually use a hand to do -- if you can reach the ground you are pushing off of whatever you can to pop up).

I'm not saying it is impossible, but I haven't seen any dirty play from any of these guys that would suggest that was likely.

Reactions: tlbakernc
The only appropriate response to this is that, if true, it is an abomination (just like Bosa and any number of other similarly intentional dangerous acts). The other team is your opponent - not your enemy. They are human beings. Even the laws of war - war - prohibit intentionally trying to blind someone, which is exactly what could have resulted. Franklin should ask the players and if it happened, player should be suspended. Just as Bosa should have been. Hate Michigan and its coach all you want, but if true , this act was a cowardly abomination that the perpetrator obviously is afraid to carry out in plain view. Disgraceful. Period.

LOL. I just read a 247 article on the Michigan site. It now says that multiple people were trying to gouge out both of his eyes. I can't wait to hear what this story morphs into by next year. Penn State players used a foreign object and literally removed Patterson's appendix.

“I can’t believe it, but we were down there, we were in the pile – I wasn’t in it – but Shea was getting his eyes gouged out in the scrum over there,” Runyan said. “And he was still fighting away, even though people were digging his eyes. Came to the sidelines with tears all in his eyes, because it was ridiculous that people were trying to gouge his eyes out.”

Reactions: mn78psu83
The only appropriate response to this is that, if true, it is an abomination (just like Bosa and any number of other similarly intentional dangerous acts). The other team is your opponent - not your enemy. They are human beings. Even the laws of war - war - prohibit intentionally trying to blind someone, which is exactly what could have resulted. Franklin should ask the players and if it happened, player should be suspended. Just as Bosa should have been. Hate Michigan and its coach all you want, but if true , this act was a cowardly abomination that the perpetrator obviously is afraid to carry out in plain view. Disgraceful. Period.
I think we should call in inspector Clueseau to check everyone's gloves for smears of eye black, and then, if found, we should be penalized on that play. They can have their choice of half the distance or an additional 37 seconds before the whistle blows.

The 4th down play is at about the 2:19:40 mark:

https://www.espn.com/watch/player?c...2f50e&id=d70c0427-fd60-485e-bc0a-01a163fea763

It's pretty bang-bang. The first few seconds of the play it's pretty clear that there are no hands anywhere near his eyes. The scrum only lasts a few seconds and, although it's difficult to see with any clarity if his eye is being gouged, it does seem pretty clear that the Penn State players are merely trying to push back the pile. The refs clear the scrum pretty quickly and the only Penn State player that appears in a position to have his hands anywhere near Patterson's facemask for any length of time seems to be Parsons, and he seems to be just hanging on trying to pull Patterson back (and the refs are on top of that pretty quickly and would've likely seen anything blatant or prolonged). Even on all the slow-mo replay angles there is nothing that you can see except a tough, hard, clean play all around. Certainly nothing that would suggest any eye poking was anything but inadvertent or the natural by-product of a scrum like this, where everyone is pushing the pile and reaching/pulling at the ball.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Man, if this is how much they whine after a few questionable calls and no-calls in a season where they were likely to lose 3 games anyway, imagine what they’d sound like if they had an undefeated season stolen from them by a series of egregious calls ala 2005.
Yeah! They’d still be sore about it 14 years later.

(I know I am!!)

It’s Tuesday night before their biggest home game of the season after a huge big ten East loss and you have Runyan and Patterson complaining of eye gouging, Nico Collins still talking about the OPI against him, and Harbaugh bitching about anything he can from Saturday night.

Sounds like they are REALLY focused on the Irish. Harbaugh is doing a bang up job.

I hope Franklin gets credit for beating them two weeks in a row.
Well, that would bring him to even against Harbaugh if he does. :)

Man, if this is how much they whine after a few questionable calls and no-calls in a season where they were likely to lose 3 games anyway, imagine what they’d sound like if they had an undefeated season stolen from them by a series of egregious calls ala 2005.
Touchdown Manningham! That was a great game.

Clifford got poked in the eye during the Iowa game that you could see was effecting him for a couple of series after. Funny, didn't read about anyone at Penn State crying about it afterwards.

source.gif

Touchdown Manningham! That was a great game.
Stop. Those two words together force me to re-live that moment. Even with my TV off and my eyes closed, I can still see those extra :02 playing out.

It was a great and heartbreaking game. And be merciful.

F them. Their offensive line should have been arrested for the holding they perpetrated on Arrington. And come back to me when a receiver is called out of bounds on a game winning drive with two feet in bounds.

What’s the big deal? The michigan players should be used to gouging their own eyes out when seeing all the hogs on their campus.

giphy.gif

:eek:

Reactions: jmorovich
It’s crazy all this stupid revenge stuff they are stuck in - this was a revenge game from 2 years ago after they pounded us last year- WTF. This whining is on Hairball - he lets it happen and they have zero focus - the Domers are going to roll them this weekend if this is how they prepare. There was bad calls and no calls going both ways and in reality we are still behind about a 1000 bad calls over the years including ones that were worse then this alleged eye gouge and are on video for all to see which this one isn’t - seems like BS to me. I guess UM can’t take moving farther and farther down the pecking order in the Big10 - can a stop at Rutgersville be far off? I hope so.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Hey Shea ! wear an eye shield, if it bothers you so much. If your eye was gouged, or injured it would have watered like crazy, and you'd never have recouped enough to come in the next series.

Hey Shea ! wear an eye shield, if it bothers you so much. If your eye was gouged, or injured it would have watered like crazy, and you'd never have recouped enough to come in the next series.
True....I had my eye gouged my senior year in basketball....I had to come out for the rest of the game and I couldn’t open my eye completely for weeks...and that was just getting it poked (the dudes finger went into my eye to the second knuckle) but not for 10 seconds like Patterson claims. His eye would still show damage if that had actually happened.

Make no mistake, this is now the Michigan equivalent of the ridiculous Ohio State pee balloon story.

Like that story the Michigan one will grow and change over time to fit the situation once details emerge.

Already the experts at Michigan stated it was Tyler Rudolph who did it. Until someone pointed out he wasn’t even in the game. Then they changed it to a new offender- Marquis Wilson.

The horses are at the gates aaaaaand..... they’re off.

After originally accusing a player who wasn’t even in the game, I see it’s now morphed into PSU players (plural) that were now gauging eyes apparently.

This is a prime example of modern day ‘outrage syndrome’. They have an accusation and that’s all they need because they KNOW!! They don’t need facts, or context, or if something was accidental or deliberate, or if it even happened at all. They’ll selectively fill in the details later that will justify their outrage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nittany_93
Funny how they conveniently forget stephen jenson, gibbons/lewan, and nassar (michigan grad).

They don't respect us and they never will. The problem we had is just an excuse to treat us like shit; to bully us like children in the school yard. It's never going to stop because they have effectively dehumanized us.

That's why I don't really care if the refs screwed them or someone got hurt; there's no honor or sportsmanship for us. We are second class citizens. I won't be the one waving the sportsmanship banner after what I've seen the last 20 years and especially the last 8.

They don't respect us and they never will. The problem we had is just an excuse to treat us like shit; to bully us like children in the school yard. It's never going to stop because they have effectively dehumanized us.

That's why I don't really care if the refs screwed them or someone got hurt; there's no honor or sportsmanship for us. We are second class citizens. I won't be the one waving the sportsmanship banner after what I've seen the last 20 years and especially the last 8.

Franklin starts his post game press conference after the Michigan game with praise for the Michigan team and their program. Not a f*cking word from Harbaugh about Penn State. Zero class, and that filters down to the way their fans treat us. Even the Michigan writers who cover the team have the nerve to make comments disparaging James Franklin (Chris Balas on Nolan Rucci: "He doesn't want to play for James Franklin"). Franklin isn't the one bailing on Penn State verbals a month before signing day.

It is what it is. Beat them on the field and let them cry all they want afterwards.

Franklin starts his post game press conference after the Michigan game with praise for the Michigan team and their program. Not a f*cking word from Harbaugh about Penn State. Zero class, and that filters down to the way their fans treat us.

The silver lining on this dark cloud is that their mindset will be their downfall. Also good news that James Franklin does not think like me.

Reactions: Judge Smails
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT