ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan O-Lineman claims Penn State players tried to gouge Shea Patterson's Eyes out during scrum

Meh...Back in the 70’s when I played HS football the linemen would put pop tops on their fingers....

Oh the humanity! Pics, or it didn't happen. And as stated above, GOOD! I want to win with honor and integrity, but that seems to be getting harder and harder in today's CFB climate. Also, I don't buy it for a second.

He should talk to his old man about dirty play. He was one of the worst.

I was thinking the same thing. Runyan Sr was/is a complete asshole. He routinely attempted to injure other players. Junior should have thought about that before opening his dumb trap to make up ridiculous crap. The game was taped on national TV from every angle. It’s completely implausible anything happened.

The Skycam feed on ESPN showed the UM sideline during the lengthy (useless) review of the play. Harbaugh did walk Patterson over to the officials and complain about it. Patterson was visibly having issues with his eyes immediately after leaving the pile and during that long delay. It was pretty obvious that Patterson's eye-black was smeared on the one-side of his face. His actions didn't make it seem like he was faking it. Because of that, I'd mark this accusation of an attempted eye-gouge as highly probable.

It happens in football. It's terrible sportsmanship. It's also terrible officiating to not blow the whistle sooner on that play and then take so long in clearing the pile. One official should have been right on top of that pile looking for Patterson and the ball, and two more should've been ripping players off. Instead they just kind of circled around.

Harbaugh was right to alert the officials about, at the same time, there's not much you can do about it. It looked like he said something to the effect of, "this is what we have to deal with." But I couldn't hear it completely.

This is so pathetic. Also comical. I mean, is gouging out a player's eyes like targeting? Do you get disqualified for the first half of the next week's game? Do they review it in the booth? The mind boggles.

Memo to Michigan: The game's over, boys, and you lost. Time to move on. Rumor has it that you've got another big game scheduled Saturday night. You might want to focus on that because a loss to Notre Dame burns what's left of your season to the ground.

It’s Tuesday night before their biggest home game of the season after a huge big ten East loss and you have Runyan and Patterson complaining of eye gouging, Nico Collins still talking about the OPI against him, and Harbaugh bitching about anything he can from Saturday night.

Sounds like they are REALLY focused on the Irish. Harbaugh is doing a bang up job.

I hope Franklin gets credit for beating them two weeks in a row.

Gouged his eyes? Who? Which team? From the front or behind? Since the offense was allowed to push him from behind the defense would push him back. Fingers in the eyes could happen from either direction and not be planned as they could not see where their fingers happened to be under that pile the refs allow to continue interminably.

This is how they act now that not everything is going their way all the time.

Witviot retired, Delany leaving, Dick Honig close to hanging it up, Lemonnier long gone, getting annually killed in the game, etc.

Tough scene all around

He wasn't complaining and complimented PSU and the environment.

This is going to get some media traction. I won't be surprised if: (1) someone on the defense ends up suspiciously absent in the first half of the MSU game; and/or (2) the NCAA cancels the rest of PSU's season.

Eye-gouging is way over the line, whether it's your team or not. Akin to ankle twisting. Could've injured Patterson very badly, if not permanently, if that was what the phantom gouger was actually trying to do.

Reactions: NittanyTerp
I thought I saw on the replay during the game that somebody poked him in the eye on his initial surge to the goal line. Unintentional in an attempt to get to him, but I thought I saw it nonetheless.

Reactions: MoyerJones
It’s Tuesday night before their biggest home game of the season after a huge big ten East loss and you have Runyan and Patterson complaining of eye gouging, Nico Collins still talking about the OPI against him, and Harbaugh bitching about anything he can from Saturday night.

Sounds like they are REALLY focused on the Irish. Harbaugh is doing a bang up job.

I hope Franklin gets credit for beating them two weeks in a row.

I listened to one of the Michigan podcasts today. I needed a little pick-me-up from the anti-PSU framing by BTN and ESPN (seriously, BTN and ESPN could barely even mention that PSU won the game...instead falling over themselves talking about how improved Michigan looked).

Anyways, the beat writers were talking about how the Week 9 player interviews did not give them any indication that UM was heading in the right direction.

He wasn't complaining and complimented PSU and the environment.

This is going to get some media traction. I won't be surprised if: (1) someone on the defense ends up suspiciously absent in the first half of the MSU game; and/or (2) the NCAA cancels the rest of PSU's season.

Eye-gouging is way over the line, whether it's your team or not. Akin to ankle twisting. Could've injured Patterson very badly, if not permanently, if that was what the phantom gouger was actually trying to do.

Want to make a bet on (1) and (2)? Harbaugh is a ****ing laughing stock nationally, no one's taking a damn thing out of that program seriously

The Skycam feed on ESPN showed the UM sideline during the lengthy (useless) review of the play. Harbaugh did walk Patterson over to the officials and complain about it. Patterson was visibly having issues with his eyes immediately after leaving the pile and during that long delay. It was pretty obvious that Patterson's eye-black was smeared on the one-side of his face. His actions didn't make it seem like he was faking it. Because of that, I'd mark this accusation of an attempted eye-gouge as highly probable.

It happens in football. It's terrible sportsmanship. It's also terrible officiating to not blow the whistle sooner on that play and then take so long in clearing the pile. One official should have been right on top of that pile looking for Patterson and the ball, and two more should've been ripping players off. Instead they just kind of circled around.

Harbaugh was right to alert the officials about, at the same time, there's not much you can do about it. It looked like he said something to the effect of, "this is what we have to deal with." But I couldn't hear it completely.
There is a big difference between under the pile “extra curricular activities” and intentionally attempting to blind an opposing player. One is bad sportsmanship, but usual and customary. The other is a crime. Even if he was poked in the eye, that doesn’t mean it was intended. I call bullshit.

First, welcome to the game of football, cry baby Shea.

And secondly, if you don't want that done to you, don't go trying to squeeze yourself over the goal line after you were down in an attempt to get credit for a touchdown that you didn't fairly earn.

Besides, why are they crying about it anyway? Doesn't this just give them some extra revenge to play for next year? And the year after?

LOL - Michigan football really has become a caricature of what they want to be.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
What they have to deal with?

If you watch the Skycam footage, the camera is right over top of Harbaugh after the "TD" and he is pulling Patterson over while he is talking to the official. I don't know what the exact qoute is, but if you watch it, that was the sentiment.

His eye black was smeared and Harbaugh was complaining to the officials.

OK, I'm convinced.:confused:

If you watch the Skycam footage, the camera is right over top of Harbaugh after the "TD" and he is pulling Patterson over while he is talking to the official. I don't know what the exact qoute is, but if you watch it, that was the sentiment.

Not doubting you.

We had years of players having free shots at our guys' knees that were ignored. After the whistle stuff, crackbacks, hi-lo, ridiculous no-calls, absurd reviews, etc. Years and years of this. Patterson looked pretty healthy to me and Runyan said he wasn't there. Cancel Christmas. Shut the program down. Aren't we on lifelong probation?

hmmm..not so fast.
1. there have been no reports of PSU playing dirty this season or any I can remember so this would be out of character
2. This happened in the pile with Patterson trying to reach the ball into the end zone. We don't know exactly where the ball was in relation to his face mask during the fray. It's entirely reasonable that PSU defenders, attempting to strip the ball could make contact with his face mask, or that a finger(s) could go inside the face mask inadvertently. IF Patterson's face/eyes were contacted, it doesn't mean there was an "attempted eye-gouge."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT