ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Michigan - Fri, Jan 19

#7 Smith (UNL) just got Teched by #18 McKee (Minn). And it was not close from the get go. The 125 rankings seem somewhat meaningless at this point.

Reactions: mcpat
Nagao was an absolute hammer on top last year and seemed to have an incredible feel for body-positioning in scrambles and while riding. As strange as it seems, these former strengths have turned 180 degrees - he looked out of position all night long during scrambles and while trying to ride. Lost leverage by getting out of position over and over... and over again.

Mike was in the front row of folding chairs matside--about 5 empty chairs away from Pat Kraft. Nice still is available of Pat cheering Mitch's first TD and Amine with a thousand-yard stare.

Here it is, @Chickenman Testa
j9BDTUc.png
I was wrong, Mitch didn't knock the frown off of Mike's face.

My thoughts:

Davis looks the part of a certain AA
Mesenbrink is in the conversation for a title
Bearclaw is an AA without a spot
Nagao is right there but needs to figure out how to finish
Lewan is a stain on the sport
Ramos is officially my favorite non-PSU wrestler (edging out Gomez) for continuously breaking the hearts of Iowa fans

Mesenbrink wrestles like a Honey Badger. Just puts the other person on the defensive so much, never seen a college wrestler quite like him. PSU has had some all timers the past 15 years, but I don’t find the style similar to anyone’s. He just leaves no space and any movement back at him is so guarded because folks are afraid of his quickness. Like a dog on a bone.

I’m interested to see him wrestle Hamiti if they get to meet at conferences. I think there’s a good chance it ends early one way or another because Hamiti isn’t going to back up and Mesenbrink isn’t going to stop shooting.

Mesenbrink wrestles like a Honey Badger. Just puts the other person on the defensive so much, never seen a college wrestler quite like him. PSU has had some all timers the past 15 years, but I don’t find the style similar to anyone’s. He just leaves no space and any movement back at him is so guarded because folks are afraid of his quickness. Like a dog on a bone.

I’m interested to see him wrestle Hamiti if they get to meet at conferences. I think there’s a good chance it ends early one way or another because Hamiti isn’t going to back up and Mesenbrink isn’t going to stop shooting.
Ever heard of Jason Nolf?

My thoughts:

Davis looks the part of a certain AA
Mesenbrink is in the conversation for a title
Bearclaw is an AA without a spot
Nagao is right there but needs to figure out how to finish
Lewan is a stain on the sport
Ramos is officially my favorite non-PSU wrestler (edging out Gomez) for continuously breaking the hearts of Iowa fans
Best part of the Lewan match was Sparks and Johnson (or Gibbons….they seem interchangeable) telling us they warned us it would be an exciting match ….clearly joking and pointing directly at Lewan.

Carters Flo Interview hilarious. Says while he wasn’t wrestling he was in coach mode and realizes they (Michigan) not very good. Says he thinks Nagao much better wrestler but put himself in bad positions and if he was in there, they don’t score a point. Then he gives shout out to Mitchell. Says he’s gonna be a problem and that he was happy he smashed Amine because the Amine family usually running their mouths all match and tonight Mitch kept them quiet.

I’m paraphrasing..but that’s pretty much the jist of it

It was mentioned briefly earlier in the thread, but there wasn’t much follow up discussion, - I really liked Angel’s double stall call about 1 minute into the opening bout with Lewan. I’d like to see more of that, when both wrestlers haven’t fired off a significant shot by the 1 minute mark. I think it sets the tone for the match. Thoughts???
Obviously loved Mitch’s match, Davis was great and continues to impress. Not worried at all about Nagao. Bartlett is exactly what he is, but he hasn’t lost yet and I can’t kill him over it. Slightly disappointed in Kerk’s match. I thought he had more to give but he made it look easy against the 4th ranked kid. We are spoiled with AB and just take him for granted. And does Truax have an attack other than the ankle pick?

Ever heard of Jason Nolf?
I don’t see Nolf in MM, nor anyone else.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he’s better or worse than those guys. They’re dominant all timers. But stylistically, not similar. Right now.

Main difference is that those guys (someone else mentioned Zain), while aggressive, I just think as freshmen they weren’t moving people from the center of the mat on their feet like MM. Amine has kept it respectable with everyone for several years, including against NCAA champions. You could see 60 seconds in he was just trying to get to 7 minutes.

Again, I’m not conflating ability with style. As I said, it’s a judgement solely of style.

So he's losing to everyone in the room?
My thoughts? Cael and the staff have him working on his weaker elements from last year and frankly it's not happening: Just go back to last years Aaron. Shoot only when you can finish, play defense, and ride the other guy... until you get to the quarters, then go to the current strategy

It was mentioned briefly earlier in the thread, but there wasn’t much follow up discussion, - I really liked Angel’s double stall call about 1 minute into the opening bout with Lewan. I’d like to see more of that, when both wrestlers haven’t fired off a significant shot by the 1 minute mark. I think it sets the tone for the match. Thoughts???
Obviously loved Mitch’s match, Davis was great and continues to impress. Not worried at all about Nagao. Bartlett is exactly what he is, but he hasn’t lost yet and I can’t kill him over it. Slightly disappointed in Kerk’s match. I thought he had more to give but he made it look easy against the 4th ranked kid. We are spoiled with AB and just take him for granted. And does Truax have an attack other than the ankle pick?
When Angel hit the double stall, I knew Amine was toast. Yes, I know Amine was the following match, but it should have put him on notice.

Even with the two missed TDs which thankfully evened themselves out, this is the best match I've ever seen Angel ref. (Also, Lewan should have had a stall call in the 2nd instead of 15 seconds left in the 3rd.)

Who is going to start the PBP thread??

Edit: Whose going to start the PBP thread??

Hat tip @Eyecatcher
I just saw a discussion on social media where someone claimed that Amine bit Mesenbrink? True? If so, what a low-class stunt. If not true, well, Amine should still be ashamed.

And, we have a new nickname for Mesenbrink, "Animal". I think Evans said it in his interview with Byers.
Ok let me coin a nickname. A Psycho Animal… nah… “”Predator”!

As much as I dislike Angel, I loved the double stall.

In a weird way, Angel’s ineptitude evened out 184 and the right guy won it with a late TD.

If Starocci is sick, or whatever the issue is, no need to wrestle him on Sunday. Carter at 70% wins his 4th easily. He’s earned the right to manage his match count.

133, I think Michigan should have had 2 stallings for hanging on to a leg in the 2nd, but Dylan won a fun match. I actually think Nagao is improving with these 2 losses. He’s becoming more aggressive on his feet. If he can finish some of these shots cleanly, he goes deep at NCAAs.

Wow!!!! Wow at 2am I still cannot watch the match, 8 hours later, fudge cable and sports!!!! Haven't seen a thread, so I can be surprised and big+ gives me shit!!!

Ncaa thinks it's nfl no wonder why the sport struggles.

Big 10 get over your self.

Not worried about Nagoa come tournament time. I suspect Cael and the coaches are reconstructing his wrestling style and his knee injury hurt that process. Trying to turn him into a national champ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT